Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [103]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [24]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [6]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millipede in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think the key here is to focus on the logical structure of the argument (and this is true for almost ALL CR questions). Think of it as a puzzle/riddle that a friend is telling you. The writer of CR problems includes pieces of information (like in a puzzle) and we should ensure we understand the role of each piece of information. I've found it helpful to practice this exercise for CR questions (i.e. make sure you totally understand the argument). Note that you can practice this virtually with the argument without looking at answer choices (i.e. even on repeat questions) - it's good practice

The process I follow is (largely in line with Manhattan GMAT with some edits - I think pre-thinking (which e-gmat advocates) is a very useful step but MGMAT doesn't stress it too much - i.e. it's good to have not a must have)
1. ID what type of CR question this is
2. read each statement, paraphrase to myself / visualize the sentence. Do the same for sentence 2 and see link to statement 1. Repeat for following statements. THEN synthesize the argument so you have a grasp on the CONCLUSION (if relevant) and the premises (and how they relate to the conclusion)
3. Then attack the question stem - make sure you know exactly what you need to do
4. Prethink an answer - 5-10 seconds tops. If you can't think of an answer. Just say to yourself, "ok i'm looking for answers that does XX (be specific)"
5. Eliminate definite NOs (if you arent sure, let it sit); On the second round you should ideally have 2 choices remaining. Again, eliminate the MORE wrong answer until you are left with one. Pick it and move on!

This might seem like a lot of work but if you practice this process meticulously I'm sure your accuracy will go up and (in time) so will your speed.

For ex. this question
STEP 1 - Ok, so this is an evaluate question - there will be a conclusion here and I need to figure out what question I need to ask to evaluate this argument. (i.e. binary y/n answers will either weaken or strengthen the argument)

STEP 2
Logical Structure
1. Cap monkeys in Ven often rub milipedes into their fur. "hmm ok this is a fact/context. probably setting me up for the meat of the argument"
2. Secretions..debilitate the capuchins. "hmm interesting set of facts - the milis have 2 chemicals that repel mosquitoes and these mosquitoes have parasites that can cause serious harm. Ok i see that he's building a case to explain why monkeys are doing this"
3. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquitoes are at their peak - "hmm, ok this is a peculiar observation and i kinda see what he's suggesting. he's trying to attribute this behavior during rainy season to something"
4. CONCLUSION - monkeys rub milis to protect themselves against milis -"aha i see what he's getting at - the behavior during monsoons is the nail in the coffin and that's why he's concluding this'
5. Synthesize - "ok concluding X because of Y and Z"

STEP 3
GOAL: what's most useful to evaluate the argument

STEP 4: PRETHINK
Hmm ok what questions would i ask the author - some thoughts that popped to me 1. ok, what if the rain makes the monkeys itchy and that's what makes them use milis to scratch? 2. what if there is anything else about the rain / the milis that make monkey use them to scratch? (i.e. it has nothing to do with mosquitoes)

STEP 5: Process of elimination

A. Ok we dont care about the milipedes here. We need to figure out why the monkeys are using them to rub
B. Irrelevant - so what if it's found in other parts of the world. We are focused on Venezuela
C. Again - we care about Venezuelan capuchins
D. HMM..ok this is a good one. If mosquitoes are only available during the rainy season then maybe it has nothing to do with the fact that rainy season has peak mosquito population. Monkeys just rub milis when they can find them and they only find them in the rainy season. This isnt a perfect question but let's keep it.
E. uh ok, we dont care about other insects. The author says monkeys use milis and he's making a conclusion as to why they use milis to rub themselves. I dont care if they CAN use other insects. Let's try variance here - YES other insects are available - ok, great but they could also use milis too. Right? NO other insects are not available - ok, great but then WHY are they using milis? (there could be a thousand other ways the monkeys can repel mosquitoes - the crux of the argument is discussing the validity of one possible cause - i.e. rubbing milis) - eliminate this

Therefore D. I took 1:45 seconds to answer this (even though the explanation makes it look like it took me 5 minutes).

This process works well for me. Let me know your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millipede in [#permalink]
Hi,

I took this argument in a causative fashion, where conclusion says , Rubbing of Milipeds leads to Protection against Mosquitoes, So X leads to Y . Cant a alternate cause could be possible answer to this question,which is mention in option E.

Please correct me where I'm wrong?

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi,

I took this argument in a causative fashion, where conclusion says , Rubbing of Milipeds leads to Protection against Mosquitoes, So X leads to Y . Cant a alternate cause could be possible answer to this question,which is mention in option E.

Please correct me where I'm wrong?

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

If you thought that the argument here is "X leads to Y", then you shouldn't have marked an alternate cause as a weakener.

Please visit this article to understand where an alternate cause is a weakener and where it is not :)

alternate-cause-a-weakener-or-not-155034.html#p1240789

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Hi ,

One thing more i need to clarify here is i'm not able to apply the variance test in option D.

D. Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
Saying Yes ,means due to readily availablity of milipeds during rainy season would strengthen the argument as they are rubbing to protech from mosiquotoes.

And Saying No, means they are available all the time ,so this would weaken the argument as Monkey rubbing could be for some other purpose or this would weaken the argument as Monkey can rub the millipeds not especially rainy time.

So my confusion is while saying no to option D, how does it weaken the argument.

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [7]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi ,

One thing more i need to clarify here is i'm not able to apply the variance test in option D.

D. Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
Saying Yes ,means due to readily availablity of milipeds during rainy season would strengthen the argument as they are rubbing to protech from mosiquotoes.

And Saying No, means they are available all the time ,so this would weaken the argument as Monkey rubbing could be for some other purpose or this would weaken the argument as Monkey can rub the millipeds not especially rainy time.

So my confusion is while saying no to option D, how does it weaken the argument.

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

Here is my bit on this:

Your idea of applying variance test seems good i.e. you seem to know that the variance test when applied to the correct choice here will yield two answers: Yes and No. One of these answers will increase your belief in the conclusion and the other will decrease the same. However, your application of the test isn't correct. In fact, you've interpreted the effect of the variance test in an opposite manner here. To understand the same, please consider the following:

The conclusion is drawn regarding the rubbing behavior of these monkeys in a specific season. The author says that they do so because it helps protect these monkeys against the mosquitoes since this behaviour is rare except in the rainy season when the mosquito populations are at their peak. Our job in this question is to find one answer choice that will yield information helpful in evaluating the proposed argument. Accordingly, let's look at option D

If yes- Rainy season is the only time millipedes are readily available.

As you have rightly pointed out, this choice talks about the availability of millipedes. If the answer to this question is Yes, the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season then our belief in the argument is decreased. If millipedes are available to these monkeys only in the rainy season, then they can't rub them in other seasons. In other words, the non-availability of millipedes in other seasons may limit the rubbing behaviour of monkeys to only rainy season. This information suggests that they don't have a 'choice'. Hence, in this case, rubbing behavior may not be linked with the increase in the mosquito population during the rainy season Thus, a “yes” to the question posed in choice D weakens the conclusion that protection against mosquitoes is the only reason for rubbing behavior in rainy season.

Quote:

Thanks

If No- Rainy season is NOT the only time millipedes are readily available.

Now, we move on to the other end of the spectrum. This time we answer the question by saying No rainy season is not the only time when the millipedes are readily available to these monkeys. Together with the information given in the passage, we know that even though the millipedes are easily available in other seasons, the rubbing behaviour of these monkeys is rare except in rainy season when mosquito population is at peak. This information suggests that the monkeys choose to rub millipedes during a specific time period, increasing our belief in the conclusion that monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.

In all, when we apply the Variance test to choice D, a 'yes' weakens the argument and a ‘no’ strengthens the same.

Does this help?

Dolly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
quiet888 wrote:
Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede into their fur. Secretions of these millipedes have been shown to contain two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate the capuchins. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak. Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.
Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument.

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents.
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world.
C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes"

For me, the key to solve CR questions is to put myself in the argument. And, it doesn't harm to think of myself as Capuchin monkey to get the answer right :P

The argument concludes that CM rubs millepedes into its fur to protect against mosquitos. This behavior of rubbing is rare in seasons other than rainy season, when mosquitos are at the peak.

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents. We are looking for an option that shows weather CM rubs millepedes to protect against mosquitos.
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world. It does'nt matter
C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur. We are concerned about CM
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season. We got it! what if millepedes are available readily only during rainy season. Then CM gets to rub millipedes frequently during rainy season only. Availability can be the reason that CM rubs millipedes and not the mosquito presence. Or it could be to repel mosquito
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes. Not concerned about other insects.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Capuchins rub millipedes that secrete mosquito repellants.
Rubbing happens in rainy season when mosquitos are high in number

Conclusion: Hence rubbing is done to protect against mosquitos.
We need to evaluate this conclusion.

Of the given options, only D talks about an alternate reason of rubbing of millipedes.
Option E talks about some other way in which the capuchins can ward of insects. Great, now they have two ways. But this does not hinder the capuchins from using millipedes as well. Hence this is out of scope.

Correct Option: D
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede into their fur. Secretions of these millipedes have been shown to contain two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate the capuchins. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak. Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.
Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument.

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents. -Argument is about monekys
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world. -We are not worried about the various places where we can find them
C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur -We are not worried about other animals
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season -CORRECT
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes We are not worried about other insects
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM