Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4097 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: Car B begins moving at 2 mph around a circular track with a radius of [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
gtr022001 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Radius of track is 10 miles so circumference is 20*pi i.e. the total length of the track.
B starts from X and travels for 10 hrs clockwise at 2 mph i.e. it travels 20 miles. Now car A starts from X counter clockwise. Distance between A and B is 20*pi - 20.
Now, to meet, they have to together cover this distance plus 12 miles more which they have to put between them.
Time taken to cover this distance by them = (20*pi - 20 + 12)/(3 + 2) = 4*pi - 1.6 hrs
Car B has been traveling for 10 + 4*pi - 1.6 = (4*pi + 8.4) hrs

Hi Karishma, i actually got this question wrong when i took the mgmat cat last week, i got confused on the explanation which is similar to yours (your diagram helps though), how did you derive this equation: (20*pi - 20 + 12)/(3 + 2), was this manipulated from Rate x Time = Distance? thanks.

Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

The red distance is what B has already covered at 2 mph in 10 hrs. This distance is 20 miles.
A and B are now moving towards each other (as shown by green arrows). To meet for the first time, they have to cover the remaining circumference of the track i.e. a distance of 20pi - 20. (20pi is the circumference of the circle out of which 20 has already been covered by B). They need to create a further 12 miles distance between them. So together they need to cover (20pi - 20 + 12) miles in all.
Since, A and B are moving towards each other, their relative speed (i.e. combined speed here) will be (3 + 2) mph.
So time taken for them to meet = D/S = (20pi - 20 + 12)/(3 + 2)

- Here, we are using the concept of Relative Speed. When two objects (speeds S1 and S2) move in opposite directions (towards each other or away from each other), they cover the distance between them (or create distance between them) at the rate of (S1 + S2). Here they are moving in opposite directions towards each other so their relative speed is sum of their speeds. After meeting, they are moving away from each other but their relative speed is still sum of their speeds.
When two objects move in same direction, their speeds get subtracted.
If this is unclear, I would suggest looking up the theory of relative speed for details.

VeritasKarishma if circumference of circle is 20pi doesntt it mean that whole circumference is 20 miles ? And B covered a distance of a one whole circle instead of fraction i.e. 20p-20 ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Car B begins moving at 2 mph around a circular track with a radius of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
VeritasKarishma[/url] if circumference of circle is 20pi doesntt it mean that whole circumference is 20 miles ? And B covered a distance of a one whole circle instead of fraction i.e. 20p-20 ?

Circumference of a circle is 2*pi*r which is the length of the track. Since radius is 10 miles, the length is 2*pi*10 = 20*pi which is something more than 60 miles because pi = 3.1416

B travels at 2 mph for 10 hrs so covers 20 miles. Hence in 10 hrs, of the 60+ miles of the track, B covers only 20 miles.
Now A and B need to cover the rest of 40+ miles together.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Car B begins moving at 2 mph around a circular track with a radius of [#permalink]
The distance left for A to complete one whole lap + twelve extra miles, driven at the cars' combined rate:

(20Pi - 20) + 12 = 5t

(20Pi - 8)/5 = t

Adding the first 10 hrs as fifths gives:

(20Pi + 42)/5 = 4Pi + 8,4
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [2]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yangsta8 wrote:
Car B begins moving at 2 mph around a circular track with a radius of 10 miles. Ten hours later, Car A leaves from the same point in the opposite direction, traveling at 3 mph. For how many hours will Car B have been traveling when car A has passed and moved 12 miles beyond Car B?

A. \(4\pi – 1.6\)

B. \(4\pi + 8.4\)

C. \(4\pi + 10.4\)

D. \(2\pi – 1.6\)

E. \(2\pi – 0.8\)

The OA is pretty long and even solving it that way takes me +2 mins. Hopefully someone can offer a fast solution.

It's fascinating to me that more than 50% of responses have been incorrect. If B has been driving for 10 hours before A even starts and we are asked how long B drives, it MUST be greater than 10.
A. Roughly 12.6-1.6 = 11. C'mon, that's obviously too low. Wrong.
B. Roughly 12.6+8.4 = 21. Okay, hold onto it.
C. Roughly 12.6+10.4 = 23. Okay, hold onto it.
D. Roughly 6.3-1.6 = 4.7. That's not even as long as B drove before A even started!! Wrong.
E. Roughly 6.3-0.8 = 5.5. That's not even as long as B drove before A even started!! Wrong.

At the worst, without doing anything other than using simple logic (and barely any math), we have a 50/50. And yet, more than 50% of people have gotten this question wrong. Missing the logic of the question is a HUGE problem. Please, on difficult problems, save yourself from picking a silly answer just by taking a few seconds to deploy some logic!!

Okay, so now you want to know how to solve this in a way that I haven't seen yet on this thread? I'm going to use two of my favorite techniques on geometry questions: ballparking and manipulating the figure.

First, there's really nothing about this problem that forces it to be a circular track rather than a straight road with two cars driving toward each other. My brain is much better at visualizing the straight road, so I'm going with that (I always look for opportunities to convert circles into straight lines when the circles are used as tracks)!!

The distance between the cars at the beginning is 20pi. Lol @ 20pi. Ballpark! 63 (blue arrow).

B starts driving for 10 hours, so it covers 20 miles (green arrow). That means B and A are now separated by 43 miles (red arrow). We need to close that gap to zero and then keep going until the cars are separated by 12 miles, now with B on the right and A on the left. So, they need to travel 55 miles combined. At a combined rate of 5mph, that's 11 hours on top of the 10 that B already traveled solo. That's a total of 21 hours. Look at the answer choices.

A. Roughly 12.6-1.6 = 11.
B. Roughly 12.6+8.4 = 21.
C. Roughly 12.6+10.4 = 23.
D. Roughly 6.3-1.6 = 4.7.
E. Roughly 6.3-0.8 = 5.5.

Answer choice B.

ThatDudeKnowsBallparking
ThatDudeKnowsGeometry
Attachments

Picture4.png
Picture4.png [ 15.65 KiB | Viewed 798 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Send PM
krishnanori wrote:
EASY EQUATION: I think the easy way to calculate is.

Distance travelled by B + Distance travelled by A = Circumference + 12
Let's sat the answer is T.

2T + 3(T-10) = (2 * Pi * 10 )+ 12
5t = 20 pi + 42
t= 4 pi + 8.4

Hi, I was wondering what did i do wrong here.
I was able to setup a similar equation to this, which is

3T + 2(T+10) = 20pi + 12

Assuming that B travelled 10 hrs more than A.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 697 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Car B begins moving at 2 mph around a circular track with a radius of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
peaarrr wrote:
krishnanori wrote:
EASY EQUATION: I think the easy way to calculate is.

Distance travelled by B + Distance travelled by A = Circumference + 12
Let's sat the answer is T.

2T + 3(T-10) = (2 * Pi * 10 )+ 12
5t = 20 pi + 42
t= 4 pi + 8.4

Hi, I was wondering what did i do wrong here.
I was able to setup a similar equation to this, which is

3T + 2(T+10) = 20pi + 12

Assuming that B travelled 10 hrs more than A.

peaarrr

It appears that you have assigned T to be the amount of time that A travels, but the question asks for how long B travels. Did you remember to add 10 hours to account for "Ten hours later, Car A leaves from the same point in the opposite direction?"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Hi Everyone, just wanted to know if these level of difficult Questions can we really expect for the actual GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts