GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 10:31
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:32) correct 62% (01:53) wrong based on 525 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator, which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, is now commercially available for use in industries and researches involving anti-gravity effects.

A) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator, which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity,

B) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, having the ability to suspend tiny balls of liquid using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity, a device called an acoustic levitator

C) A device carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, which suspends tiny balls of liquid to use two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and to counteract the force of gravity,

D) A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity,

E) A device that was carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity and that can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions

PS: The reason for posting these topics by RSSing.com is that, since the OA and OE are not open to the public, we can hold wide discussions on these topics.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 11:45
A isnot correct.I think mod1 + subject + modifier2 , verb is fine. Bcz of parallelism error

D and B are correct interms of parallelism
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 18:14
A) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator, which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity - usage of which is redundant

B) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, having the ability to suspend tiny balls of liquid using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity, a device called an acoustic levitator - Usage of "...,and counteracting..."---Having that ability leads to a counteracting effect, the usage of comma there offsets the clause and i felt, there are too many fragments of dependent clauses

C) A device carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, which suspends tiny balls of liquid to use two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and to counteract the force of gravity, - "...suspends tiny balls of liquid to use speakers..." - changes the meaning

D) A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, i couldnt find any error in this

E) A device that was carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity and that can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions - not very sure, but i feel using the two bits of info -
"that was carefully conceived" and "that can suspend" - being used with "and" in between doesnt seem right. Further, the clause "using two .." alters the meaning -- Device was conceived using two speakers -- device was conceived for a purpose(to suspend )
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 19:12
Was down to A or D. Crossed off A because the counteracting was just awkward - I think it was trying to do parallelism but failed.

B, C, E changed meanings
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 19:13
I chose A.. The flow just sounds right to me.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 19:23
A - Correct
B - Modifier error
C - Change of meaning
D - Run on
E - Change of meaning
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 22:58
nikithaiyer5 wrote:
A) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator, which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity - usage of which is redundant

B) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, having the ability to suspend tiny balls of liquid using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity, a device called an acoustic levitator - Usage of "...,and counteracting..."---Having that ability leads to a counteracting effect, the usage of comma there offsets the clause and i felt, there are too many fragments of dependent clauses

C) A device carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, which suspends tiny balls of liquid to use two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and to counteract the force of gravity, - "...suspends tiny balls of liquid to use speakers..." - changes the meaning

D) A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, i couldnt find any error in this

E) A device that was carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity and that can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions - not very sure, but i feel using the two bits of info -
"that was carefully conceived" and "that can suspend" - being used with "and" in between doesnt seem right. Further, the clause "using two .." alters the meaning -- Device was conceived using two speakers -- device was conceived for a purpose(to suspend )

I personally had the same reasoning in my mind while solving this question.
So I ll also go for D.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 02:26
I will also go for D !
but i was a bit diverted towards option C
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 06:19
I will go for D. It is parallel and the meaning is not altered.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 08:55
D for me because of parallelism
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 09:25
Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator, which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, is now commercially available for use in industries and researches involving anti-gravity effects.

A) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator, which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity,(correct)

B) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, having the ability to suspend tiny balls of liquid using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity, a device called an acoustic levitator(parallelism and modifier error)

C) A device carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, which suspends tiny balls of liquid to use two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and to counteract the force of gravity,(meaning and modifier error)

D) A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, (a device.. can spend..is now commercially available) Wrong

E) A device that was carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity and that can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions (for stimulating)Wrong
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 01:20

A) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator, which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity,

B) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, having the ability to suspend tiny balls of liquid using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity, a device called an acoustic levitator

C) A device carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, which suspends tiny balls of liquid to use two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and to counteract the force of gravity,

D) A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity,

E) A device that was carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity and that can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions
Director
Director
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 02:08
+A

the flow is just correct,,the usage of which is not redundant
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 22:02
Top Contributor

A) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator, which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity,--- Looks the best bet as I see it. 'counteracting' is parallel to 'using'

B) Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, having the ability to suspend tiny balls of liquid using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions, and counteracting the force of gravity, a device called an acoustic levitator --- having the ability' is poor diction compared to 'can'

C) A device carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity called an acoustic levitator, which suspends tiny balls of liquid to use two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and to counteract the force of gravity,---- 'which suspends' is materially different from 'can suspend'.

D) A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, -- read with the non underlined part, this a comma splice (run-on).

E) A device that was carefully conceived by NASA for stimulating microgravity and that can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions--- incomplete, doesn't mention the levitator nor the counteracting.

In A, 'which' is not redundant. If you don't use 'which, the sentence will suffer from double verbing when read together with the nonunderlined part.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 00:37
In Option A, which is the independent clause?

How can we have a sentence without an independent clause ?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 01:02
Top Contributor
Nikitha

Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, a device called an acoustic levitator,which can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers that project sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, is now commercially available for use in industries and researches involving anti-gravity effects.

Please read the entire sentence with the non-underlined part and the predicate will pop up. The choices per se are supposed to be substantive phrases that act as the singular subjects followed by the verb 'is'.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: test
Yawer: Yawer
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 200 Q33 V33
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 01:59
daagh, can you explain how option D is a run on sentence?

I tried to remove the fluff in the complete sentence, it kinda looked okay to me.

A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, is now commercially available for use in industries and researches involving anti-gravity effects.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Aug 2018, 04:10
Top Contributor
This is D In full. We will now remove the fluff by striking.off.

A device carefully conceived by NASA to simulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, is now commercially available for use in industries and researches involving anti-gravity effects.

A device carefully conceived by NASA to simulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity,is now commercially available for use in industries and researches involving anti-gravity effects.

D) A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, --- The only subject, a noun phrase.
Can suspend -- the first verb
Is now commercially available -- the second verb
We can see that there is only a comma that splices or one can argue there is not even a comma that joins the two said verbs, in which case, it will be a fused sentence. We can technically take that all the comma present there e part of the modifiers.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 06 Aug 2018, 03:29.
Last edited by daagh on 06 Aug 2018, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: test
Yawer: Yawer
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 200 Q33 V33
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 03:39
daagh wrote:
This is D In full. We will now remove the fluff by striking.off.

A device carefully conceived by NASA to simulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity, is now commercially available for use in industries and researches involving anti-gravity effects.

A device carefully conceived by NASA to simulate microgravity, called an acoustic levitator, can suspend tiny balls of liquid, using two speakers projecting sound waves in opposite directions and counteracting the force of gravity,is now commercially available for use in industries and researches involving anti-gravity effects.

D) A device carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity, --- The only, a noun phrase.
Can suspend -- the first verb
Is now commercially available -- the second verb
We can see that there is only a comma that splices or one can argue there is not even a comma that joins the two said verbs, in which case, it will be a fused sentence. We can technically take that all the comma present there e part of the modifiers.

Thanks a lot! Just to understand, a conjunction such as "and" before "is now commercially available" would make it correct, right?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 10:38
daagh wrote:

PS: The reason for posting these topics by RSSing.com is that, since the OA and OE are not open to the public, we can hold wide discussions on these topics.

Is this question from the official guide?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 10:38

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Carefully conceived by NASA to stimulate microgravity

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap