GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing, so stalking

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing, so stalking  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 06:43
anje29 wrote:

Hi ,
Please correct me if I am wrong . I read , and requires independent clause not just and .

Your understanding is correct. "AND" is a co-ordinating conjunction, which is used to join Independent clauses.

but you can also use AND to connect two things. if you have more than two things to connect with commas then use AND before the last thing.

As AND is used as parallel marker so if you say "I like eating,cooking" then it is wrong. you better write "I like eating AND cooking".

Hope it helps :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 07:10
anje29 wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
anje29 wrote:

Hi ,
Please correct me if I am wrong . I read , and requires independent clause not just and .

Your understanding is correct. "AND" is a co-ordinating conjunction, which is used to join Independent clauses.

but you can also use AND to connect two things. if you have more than two things to connect with commas then use AND before the last thing.

As AND is used as parallel marker so if you say "I like eating,cooking" then it is wrong. you better write "I like eating AND cooking".

Hope it helps :)

Thanks , I like eating , cooking is not wrong . You can find GMAT questions having this str. just saying :)

IMO "I like eating , cooking" is not correct.
like is verb. eating and cooking are its objects. there is not one object but two. so whenever you have two or more than two AND is necessary. otherwise how would you know your list has ended or not. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 13:45
The key to this sentence is you have to see that in the part of the sentence that is not underlined the subject wary animals goes with the verb are, so it must be plural. So you can eliminate a,d, and e because of the singular it. Choose b over c because it's the exact same as c, expect it's more concise.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 02:47
I feel that the answer is C. I'm not sure why 'to stalk' is more appropriate than stalking.
Plus in B, I feel that 'to stalk....and get' breaks the parellelism law. It should be 'to stalk.....to get'

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 22:39
GMATNinja wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:
I feel that the answer is C. I'm not sure why 'to stalk' is more appropriate than stalking.
Plus in B, I feel that 'to stalk....and get' breaks the parellelism law. It should be 'to stalk.....to get'

I agree with you on the first part, rekhabishop: I'm not sure that there's a clear reason why "to stalk" is fundamentally better than "stalking." In general, I'd be fine with either one of those, and the difference between "to stalk" and "stalking" really isn't the deciding factor, anyway (unless we're worried about the parallelism -- more on that in a moment). The bigger issue is that the pronouns are wrong in A, D, and E, so we're left with two options that feature "to stalk."

But the parallelism is completely fine in B and C: "get" is parallel with "stalk", and there's no reason to repeat the word "to." It might not be wrong, exactly, if we repeated "to", but it certainly isn't necessary.

And even if you want the sentence to say "to get", that's not an option, so it isn't something you should worry about. What's the only difference between B and C? Just a couple of extra, unnecessary words ("in order") in C. So B must be the correct answer.

I hope this helps!

Thank You! Makes more sense, now. However, just out of curiosity, is it a legit question? I mean, per GMAT standard, are the options really that close?

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 09:25
Glad that the response was helpful!

Quote:
However, just out of curiosity, is it a legit question? I mean, per GMAT standard, are the options really that close?

Sadly... yeah, it's a legit question. Actually a retired official exam question. Most of the time, the difference between right and wrong answers is more substantial than just a couple of extra words, but questions like these are definitely fair game. :?

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 22:28
Caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing, so stalking them over the treeless landscape, getting close enough to kill it with nothing but a handheld lance, as Dorset people did, required exceptional hunting skill.

(A) so stalking them over the treeless landscape, getting close enough to kill it -- usage of it is incorrect as Caribou are wary animals --
(B) so to stalk them over the treeless landscape and get close enough to kill one - Correct
(C) so in order to stalk them over the treeless landscape and get close enough to kill one -- in order to is unnecessary
(D) and so in order to stalk it over the treeless landscape, getting close enough to kill it -- same as A
(E) and so stalking them over the treeless landscape and getting close enough in order to kill it -- same as A

Answer B

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 22:51
I am not sure if anyone noticed, but don't we need a ";" after the independent clause - "Caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing," ?
Is comma sufficient to join two independent clauses?

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 17:59
TaN1213 wrote:
I am not sure if anyone noticed, but don't we need a ";" after the independent clause - "Caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing," ?
Is comma sufficient to join two independent clauses?

If you stick a conjunction ("and", "so", "although", etc.) in front of an independent clause, the clause then becomes dependent. So there's no problem here at all: "caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing" is the independent clause, and the following clause -- beginning with "and" or "so" -- is dependent. A comma is no problem in this situation, and a semicolon would be incorrect.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: Caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing, so stalking &nbs [#permalink] 20 Nov 2017, 17:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing, so stalking

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap