Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [25]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [8]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [3]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 530
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Cars P & Q are approaching each other on the same highway. Car P is m [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hello Blackbox,

i also solved in same way as you did. But i took relative velocity 12 (61-49) as they move in opposite direction for 45 miles after they cross each other. but i did not get the correct answer.

Blackbox wrote:
mikemcgarry,

Please correct my approach if need be.

Given that the objects are traveling in opposite directions. So, add their individual speeds.

Total Speed = 110mph
Distance between objects = 120 mi
Time = D/T => 120/110 = 12/11 = 1hr 9 mins (approx.)

Therefore, relative to the time when those objects began their travel, they will cross each other at approx 3:09pm

Now, it is also given that once they cross paths, they travel for another 45 mi. Prompt's asking how long it took to travel 45 mi away from each other.

We know their combined speed is 110 mph, distance is 45mi. So, calculate time taken to scale 45mi.

T = 45/110
T = 0.40 hrs (approx.) which is 24 minutes (approx.)

Therefore, adding these 24 mins to 3:09pm, the final result will be 3:33pm, which is B.

Is this approach OK?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Cars P & Q are approaching each other on the same highway. Car P is m [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Blackbox wrote:
mikemcgarry,

Given that the objects are traveling in opposite directions. So, add their individual speeds.

Total Speed = 110mph

Therefore, relative to the time when those objects began their travel, they will cross each other at approx 3:09pm

Now, it is also given that once they cross paths, they travel for another 45 mi. Prompt's asking how long it took to travel 45 mi away from each other.

We know their combined speed is 110 mph, distance is 45mi. So, calculate time taken to scale 45mi.

T = 45/110

Therefore, adding these 24 mins to 3:09pm, the final result will be 3:33pm, which is B.

Is this approach OK?

sunita123 wrote:
Hello Blackbox,

i also solved in same way as you did. But i took relative velocity 12 (61-49) as they move in opposite direction for 45 miles after they cross each other. but i did not get the correct answer.

Dear Blackbox & sunita123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Blackbox, your approach was fine but was not the most efficient method. When the velocities are in opposite directions, we add the velocities, regardless of whether they are approaching head-on or receding in opposite directions. Thus, it is the same pattern for both distances in this problem, so we can just add the distances and divide by the sum of the speeds:
(120 + 45)/110 = 165/110 = 15*11/110 = 15/10 = 1.5 hr
That would be the most efficient method of solution.

sunita123, my friend, I'm sorry to say that you don't understand relative velocity. Once again, for relative velocity, you ADD if the velocities are in opposite direction and only SUBTRACT if the velocities are in the same direction. It's not a one-size-fits-all formula.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Cars P & Q are approaching each other on the same highway. Car P is m [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
Blackbox wrote:
mikemcgarry,

Total Speed = 110mph

T = 45/110

Is this approach OK?

sunita123 wrote:
Hello Blackbox,

Dear Blackbox & sunita123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Blackbox, your approach was fine but was not the most efficient method. When the velocities are in opposite directions, we add the velocities, regardless of whether they are approaching head-on or receding in opposite directions. Thus, it is the same pattern for both distances in this problem, so we can just add the distances and divide by the sum of the speeds:
(120 + 45)/110 = 165/110 = 15*11/110 = 15/10 = 1.5 hr
That would be the most efficient method of solution.

sunita123, my friend, I'm sorry to say that you don't understand relative velocity. Once again, for relative velocity, you ADD if the velocities are in opposite direction and only SUBTRACT if the velocities are in the same direction. It's not a one-size-fits-all formula.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

mikemcgarry - Thank you, kind sir! I have been watching Magoosh videos and have so far not regretted buying the product. It has proved to be very efficient with Rate problems. I did not know you could also combine the distances if two objects are traveling towards each other. I wish there were a video with such a example. But, of course, I understand there are only so many tutorial videos that could be showcased. Nevertheless, I am loving Magoosh Math! Thank you again.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Cars P & Q are approaching each other on the same highway. Car P is m [#permalink]