GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 11:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

80% (02:38) correct 20% (02:59) wrong based on 63 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task in 60 hours, and Lily can do so in 30 hours. Carter starts the work and is joined by Lucas after 10 hours. After another five hours, Carter leaves and Lily joins. How many more hours will the task take to finish?

A. 2 hours and 40 minutes
B. 3 hours
C. 3 hours and 20 minutes
D. 18 hours and 20 minutes
E. 18 hours and 40 minutes

Source: Experts Global

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 13:37
Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task in 60 hours, and Lily can do so in 30 hours. Carter starts the work and is joined by Lucas after 10 hours. After another five hours, Carter leaves and Lily joins. How many hours will the task take to finish?

Leg 1: Carter starts the work and does the first leg of work for 10 hours. In 10 hours Carter would finish 50% of the task.
Pending: 50% of the task.

Leg 2: Lucas joins carter and they work together for 5 hours. In this 5 hours, carter would complete 25% of the total task and Lucas would complete 8.3% of the task.
In 5 hours Carter and Lucas joined together and would have completed 33.33% of the task.

Total: 83.33% of the task is completed.
Pending: 16.66% of the task.

Leg 3: Now Carter leaves and Lily joins Lucas.

Now lets test the answer choices. 16.66% of the task can be completed by Lucas alone in 10 hours. So if Lucas and Carter work together they will definitely complete in less than 10 hours. So we can eliminate choices D and E.

Next take choice B - 3 hours to test. In 3 hours Lily alone can complete 10% of the job and Lucas alone can complete 5% of the job. So together they can complete 15% of the job in 3 hours. We have 16.66% task to be completed. So our answer choice should be greater than 3 hours.

Only logical answer choice is Choice C - 3 Hours 20 Minutes

Ans: C

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 14:15
manishbatra92 - Good Observation

In the question stem , the words "How many hours will the task take to finish?" is not clear. I calculated the remaining time to finish the task and chose Option C.

If the question is asking the total time taken to complete the task, then the answer would be 18 Hours and 20 Minutes - Option D

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 20:08
pushpitkc wrote:
Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task in 60 hours, and Lily can do so in 30 hours. Carter starts the work and is joined by Lucas after 10 hours. After another five hours, Carter leaves and Lily joins. How many hours will the task take to finish?

B. 3 hours

Source: Experts Global

Carter's rate : \(\frac{1}{20}\)
Lucas's rate : \(\frac{1}{60}\)
Lily's rate: \(\frac{1}{30}\)

Stage 1: Carter works for 10 hours. (Carter starts and "is joined by Lucas after 10 hours")

WORK finished: \(r*t = W\)

W: \((\frac{1}{20}*10)=\frac{10}{20}=\frac{1}{2}W\)
is finished

Work remaining: \(\frac{1}{2}W\)
Time used: 10 hours

Stage 2: Carter and Lucas work together for 5 hours
Combined work rate:
\((\frac{1}{20}+\frac{1}{60})=(\frac{3}{60}+\frac{1}{60})=\frac{4}{60}=\frac{1}{15}\)

Work finished?
Together, C and L finish
W:\((\frac{1}{15}*5)=\frac{1}{3}W\)

Work remaining: \((\frac{1}{2}W-\frac{1}{3}W)=\frac{1}{6}W\)
Time used Stage 2: 5 hours

Stage 3: Lily and Lucas finish the job (Carter leaves)
Combined rate, L and L:
\((\frac{1}{30}+\frac{1}{60})=(\frac{2}{60}+\frac{1}{60})=\frac{3}{60}=\frac{1}{20}\)

L and L have \(\frac{1}{6}W\) to finish

TIME they require to finish?
\(T=\frac{W}{r}\)

\(T=\frac{\frac{1}{6}}{\frac{1}{20}}=(\frac{1}{6}*\frac{20}{1})=\frac{20}{6}=\frac{10}{3}=3\frac{1}{3}\)
hours

Total time taken to finish the work?

Stage 1 + Stage 2 + Stage 3 =
\(10 + 5 + 3\frac{1}{3}=
18\frac{1}{3}\)
hours

Total time = 18 hours, 20 minutes

"How many hours will the task take to finish?"

I agree, this statement is ambiguous. I think, however, that if the writers had meant "time for Lily and Lucas to finish," the writers would have asked, "How many hours will the rest of the task take to finish?"

Answer D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 20:16
generis pushpitkc

In the question stem , the words "How many hours will the task take to finish?" looked little ambiguous.

I calculated the remaining time to finish the task and chose Option C.

If the question is asking the total time taken to complete the task, then the answer would be 18 Hours and 20 Minutes - Option D

Please clarify

Resources

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 22:52
Apologies akadiyan , generis ,and manishbatra92

Made a small error in the question stem. Have made the correction now!

The corrected question stem now reads

Quote:
Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task in 60 hours, and Lily can do so in 30 hours. Carter starts the work and is joined by Lucas after 10 hours. After another five hours, Carter leaves and Lily joins. How many more hours will the task take to finish?

B. 3 hours

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 04:13
Ans has to be C

Carlos completed 1/2 work in 10 hrs.
Lucas join him together they can complete work in 15 hrs but they have worked only for 5 hrs means they completed 1/3 work more.

Total work completed till now=1/2 +1/3=5/6

Lucas and Lucy complete work in 20 hrs.
But only 1/6 work is left. So time taken will be 20/6=3hrs 20 min

Posted from my mobile device

Give kudos if you like the post

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 05:08
I would agree with the majority, that it must be answer C.
Yes "How long will the task take to finish?" is ambiguous (Kudos for correcting quickly), but based on logic of the sentence (speaking from a language perspective) it describes a series of events with the question being asked as the last step in this series of events, thus implying that the remaining time must be asked for. Otherwise it would be a different tense/more specific sentence structure.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task &nbs [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 05:08

Carter can finish a task in 20 hours, Lucas can finish the same task

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap