GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 63
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2005, 15:50
To All,
Good discussions! The OA is C.
_________________

Best regards,

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 4853
Location: Singapore
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2005, 18:04
HongHu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
I think the key word here is 'advisable'. If i changed it to 'why it is not useful to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests', then B would be the answer.

Is that right ? :-D


No. B is wrong because it is totally out of scope. The question asks about pests that go through the catapillar phase. B talks about pests that don't go through the catapillar phase.

An example:
If I pour the dirty water on this bucket out we'll have a cleaner bucket.
Correct objection: But you'll also pour out the baby in the bucket!
Incorrect objection: But you still have a nonclean bathtub!


I would say 'B' is wrong because of the word advisable. B's meaning would be it's not useful to spray enzymes, rather than it's ill-adivsed to do so. C is correct because it's a bad move to do so since the enzyme are killing other insects that might be beneficial to your crops.

All in all, I agree with your stand on why C is correct.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2128
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2005, 19:52
ywilfred wrote:
I would say 'B' is wrong because of the word advisable. B's meaning would be it's not useful to spray enzymes, rather than it's ill-adivsed to do so.


Hmmm why would you say that it's not useful to spray enzymes? It will kill all agricuture pests that go through the catapillar will it not? I'd say that it IS very useful. (Although still not good.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 4853
Location: Singapore
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2005, 00:44
gmat2me2 wrote:
HongHu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
I would say 'B' is wrong because of the word advisable. B's meaning would be it's not useful to spray enzymes, rather than it's ill-adivsed to do so.


Hmmm why would you say that it's not useful to spray enzymes? It will kill all agricuture pests that go through the catapillar will it not? I'd say that it IS very useful. (Although still not good.)


Yes it is C.....

I said it's not useful because in (B), it says most agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage. If this is the case, then most agricultural pests will still be eating away at your crops. Thus spraying the enzymes is not useful.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2128
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2005, 10:02
Sounds like you still didn't get what I was trying to say. The question didn't ask whether the method is useful to kill all agriculture pests. It asks whether the method is useful to kill agriculture pests that go through the catapillor stages.

B is like if I ask whether it is a good method to fend away attacks of bombs and you answer a lot of times they would attack us using poisons and this method is not good because it can't fend away poisons.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1062
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2010, 05:00
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called “juvenile hormone” that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
(C) Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
(D) Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be necessary.
(E) Although the enzyme has been synthesized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 45
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2010, 08:06
noboru wrote:
mrik wrote:
IMO C


May I ask why?

The paragraph goes on explaining that the enzyme when produced, halts the production of “juvenile hormone”, which maintains feeding behavior in caterpillars. So if the enzyme is produced synthetically and used as insecticides then it will be useful in eradicating caterpillars.

Only C supports the fact that if there are other agriculturally beneficial insects that go through a caterpillar stage then they may also get eradicated when the enzyme is administered.

Please give kudos if i have helped you in understanding :)
Current Student
avatar
Affiliations: ?
Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Posts: 180
Location: Africa/Europe
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2010, 08:08
I would also go with C

The argument says that the synthesized enzyme will kill young caterpillars to protect crops. but in the question, we are asked to choose the option saying that we should not protect crops by this mean.

(C) tells us that is we try to protect crops by this mean, we will also kill some insects that are beneficial to agriculture.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1135
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2010, 12:03
C for me.

Caterpillars of all species produce a hormone, “juvenile hormone”, that maintains feeding behavior. When caterpillar grows to right size a special enzyme stops the production of that hormone (which maintains feeding bhevior). However if this enzyme is ingested in immature caterpillars it would kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Why it would not be advisable to kill agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying crops with enzymes

surely, it would not be advisable to kill agricultural pests if those pests are of some benefit to the farmers or in their agriculture business. Then there could be no reason to kill them.

Option C says exactly that.

(C) Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 98
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2011, 10:59
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding
behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to
eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme
mentioned above?
(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
(C) Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
(D) Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be necessary.
(E) Although the enzyme has been synthesized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as
yet.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 78
Location: United States (NC)
GPA: 2.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2013, 09:41
The answer should be, in my opinion, C. What is the OA?
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Posts: 314
Schools: Schulich '16
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2013, 04:00
b is out ...pls read the question stem ..."it would not be advisable to try to
eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands"

it is already mentioned tht the agric. pests will go thru the caterpillar stage.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1745
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 04:32
Taku wrote:
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.


Has anyone found the OA for this one? I chose B by POE because it is the answer choice that to me makes more sense.
Let's quickly go through the answer choices
A: Out of scope
B: This may be right, still I'm not too sure because it uses the word many, what about the others? But i'll leave it in for the time being.
C: This actually says the opposite of what we want. This would say why it WOULD be advisable
D: So what? If different sprayings are necessary then let's do it. Not too big of a deal. Still I'll leave it in just in case
E: Out of scope. I don't really care as long as I can get it somehow. And this is not what we are asked

So between B and D. Not be advisable huh? I think B is just a little bit better as an answer choice but to me it is a really close call unless I am missing something.
Experts please? Any words of wisdom on the passage?

Thanks
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 89
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:27
1
jlgdr wrote:
Taku wrote:
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.


Has anyone found the OA for this one? I chose B by POE because it is the answer choice that to me makes more sense.
Let's quickly go through the answer choices
A: Out of scope
B: This may be right, still I'm not too sure because it uses the word many, what about the others? But i'll leave it in for the time being.
C: This actually says the opposite of what we want. This would say why it WOULD be advisable
D: So what? If different sprayings are necessary then let's do it. Not too big of a deal. Still I'll leave it in just in case
E: Out of scope. I don't really care as long as I can get it somehow. And this is not what we are asked

So between B and D. Not be advisable huh? I think B is just a little bit better as an answer choice but to me it is a really close call unless I am missing something.
Experts please? Any words of wisdom on the passage?

Thanks
Cheers
J :)



The OA is C for this question. It is in OG 12th Edition.

A Spraying would eradicate all pests that go through a caterpillar stage and so is more eff ective than
natural predators are. This statement provides no reason not to spray.
B Spraying aff ects only those agricultural pests that do go through a caterpillar stage, so this
statement is irrelevant.
C Correct. Th is statement properly identifi es evidence that strengthens the argument against
spraying.
D The need to spray repeatedly does not provide any significant evidence that spraying is
inadvisable, but simply suggests that the process will be more complicated.
E The mere lack of current production facilities does not mean that it would be inadvisable to
develop and use the spray in the future.
Th e correct answer is C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 53
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 07:05
I think option C as it is the only option which strongly says 'No' to spraying of the enzyme.

B is close but not strong enough as it talks about those pests who do not go through the 'juvenile hormone' stage. It does not talk about the effect it can have on those pests who go through that stage.

A, D, E are simply irrelevant.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1745
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 14:57
HongHu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
I think the key word here is 'advisable'. If i changed it to 'why it is not useful to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests', then B would be the answer.

Is that right ? :-D


No. B is wrong because it is totally out of scope. The question asks about pests that go through the catapillar phase. B talks about pests that don't go through the catapillar phase.

An example:
If I pour the dirty water on this bucket out we'll have a cleaner bucket.
Correct objection: But you'll also pour out the baby in the bucket!
Incorrect objection: But you still have a nonclean bathtub!


Hey guys, what's the OA for this one? I'm going with B. Definetely not advisable if they do not go through caterpillar stage. It wouldnt make no sense would it?

Cheers
J :)
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 526
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2013, 01:34
Let's break down the argument:
Juvenile Hormone - > Kills Caterpillars

Task: The answer should provide a reason that will show that spraying Juvenile hormone is NOT advisable.

The biggest assumption the author of the argument makes is that- Killing caterpillars is Good; or in other words - All caterpillars are bad.

This assumption if proven wrong. Will highlight a reason NOT to go ahead with the suggested plan.
We need an answer choice, therefore, that brings out some disadvantage that killing caterpillars through this method might bring.

Lets explore the answer choices:
A. We are not bothered about "natural predators" - this is out of scope : Eliminate
B. If this statement were true. Caterpillars will be killed -> some pests will be killed therefore. This doesn't bring out any negative consequence. Sure many pest will remain unharmed (because they don't go through a caterpillar stage - but the argument isn't bothered about this, and neither must you!) : Eliminate
C. Yes, this says that some beneficial insects go through caterpillar phase and will as a consequence be killed by the "Juvenile Hormone" -> this shows a clear negative consequence to following the proposed plan. This is the correct answer.
D. That several spraying will be necessary is irrelevant and is not really a negative Consequence : Eliminate
E. That large scale production facilities don't exist isn't a negative consequence either : Eliminate

Hope that Helped!

Ajeeth Peo
Verbal Instructor
_________________

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2014
Posts: 46
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2014, 06:24
the official guide is saying C to be correct
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 00:47
This is what I thought.

Narrowed to B & C

B says some pests won't be affected. This doesn't harm the crops directly. So, the pesticide is not exactly a problem.(whether it helps to solve the real problem or not is not the point)
C says some beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage which will be attacked by the pesticide. This makes the pesticide a problem(affects crops).BINGO!

So, C.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2014
Posts: 91
Concentration: Marketing
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 16:40
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

The key things to mention in the stimulus is ADVISABLE and GETTING RID OF PESTS THAT GO THROUGH THE CATERPILLAR STAGE.

So we can't get rid of just any pests. It has to be a pest that was a caterpillar. The word "advisable" also highlights why we shouldn't kill these particular pests.

(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation. Irrelevant to spraying
(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage. We are only concerned with pests whom go through the caterpillar stage
(C) Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage. This is a reason to keep some insects that were a caterpillar
(D) Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be necessary. No limitation spraying.
(E) Although the enzyme has been synthesized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet. Doesn't mean we can't still spray
GMAT Club Bot
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2014, 16:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.