It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cellular phones and fax machines are to todays business

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 398

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 0

Cellular phones and fax machines are to todays business [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 11:25
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:11) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 6 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Cellular phones and fax machines are to today’s business world just as dictation and a stenographer was to a former time.

just as dictation and a stenographer was
as dictation and stenographers have been
what dictation and stenographers were
what dictation and a stenographer is
just like dictation and stenographers are

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3583

Kudos [?]: 4672 [0], given: 360

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 11:41
B for me.

1. construction 'X and Y' requires plural verb - B,C,D remain
2. 'like' compares nouns and 'as' compares clauses - B,C remain.
3. I guess 'as' is correct here, but I'm not sure about Present Perfect tense....
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Kudos [?]: 4672 [0], given: 360

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1790

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 13:16
lexis wrote:
Cellular phones and fax machines are to today’s business world just as dictation and a stenographer was to a former time.

just as dictation and a stenographer was
as dictation and stenographers have been
what dictation and stenographers were
what dictation and a stenographer is
just like dictation and stenographers are


A, D Out --> Sub-Ver Agreement
B out ---> are || have been -- not parallel.

between C & E

E looks better

What is OA.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 5

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 780

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 13:55
Sentence has agreement and Tense issues.

just as dictation and a stenographer was [Combined Subject “dictation and a stenographer” requires plural verb – eliminate it]
as dictation and stenographers have been [ Tense Issue – Simple past is preferred over present perfect – eliminate it]
what dictation and stenographers were [Hold it]
what dictation and a stenographer is [Tense issue – eliminate it]
just like dictation and stenographers are [Like cannot introduce Clauses – eliminate it]

Answer: C

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 145

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 18:20
straight C. "were" goes with the "former time".

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2008
Posts: 126

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago R2
Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 07:27
C cause - Cellular phones and fax machines are to today’s business world what [things that] dictation and stenographers were [past simple - it was in the past and doesn't present today] to a former time. Clear for me.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 726

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 07:33
lexis wrote:
Cellular phones and fax machines are to today’s business world just as dictation and a stenographer was to a former time.

just as dictation and a stenographer was
as dictation and stenographers have been
what dictation and stenographers were
what dictation and a stenographer is
just like dictation and stenographers are


C.
Idiomatic + correct subject verb agreement"A & B were", concise

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 751

Kudos [?]: 235 [0], given: 8

Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 12:41
"X is what Y was" is the idiom being tested (in this case the plural version "X are what Y were")

C

Kudos [?]: 235 [0], given: 8

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 933

Kudos [?]: 356 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 17:30
When talking about "former time" we need to use past tense and not present tense or present perfect tense, this eliminates B, D, and E.

just as dictation and a stenographer was
"dictation and a stenographer" is plural so we need to use "were" and not was, so incorrect.

what dictation and stenographers were
The best one left.

I will go with C.

Kudos [?]: 356 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 398

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Today's business world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 23:50
OA is C.
Thanks for your clear explanations:

hanumayamma wrote:
Sentence has agreement and Tense issues.

just as dictation and a stenographer was [Combined Subject “dictation and a stenographer” requires plural verb – eliminate it]
as dictation and stenographers have been [ Tense Issue – Simple past is preferred over present perfect – eliminate it]
what dictation and stenographers were [Hold it]
what dictation and a stenographer is [Tense issue – eliminate it]
just like dictation and stenographers are [Like cannot introduce Clauses – eliminate it]

Answer: C


barfer wrote:
C cause - Cellular phones and fax machines are to today’s business world what [things that] dictation and stenographers were [past simple - it was in the past and doesn't present today] to a former time. Clear for me.


buffdaddy wrote:
"X is what Y was" is the idiom being tested (in this case the plural version "X are what Y were")

C

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Today's business world   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2008, 23:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cellular phones and fax machines are to todays business

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.