Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [15]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [8]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [2]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: CEO: Over the past several years, we have more than doubled our revenu [#permalink]
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
This is a "weaken the plan" type weaken question. In plan-style critical reasoning questions, view the steps of the plan as the premises and the ultimate objective of the plan as the conclusion. Here the step is to increase the interest rate charged on outstanding balances, and the goal is to increase profits. Because we are weakening, we are looking to insert another premise that would attack the gap between this premise and conclusion.

Answer choice A is out of scope and irrelevant. We are focused only on this one company, not others.

Answer choice B is a common trap answer to these style questions. The presence of a better plan does not weaken the existing plan; it is out of scope.

Answer choice C is also out of scope. Discussing how the problem may resolve itself does nothing to attack the gap between premise and conclusion in this plan.

Answer choice D is strengthening the argument, and is thus a strengthen trap answer to a weaken question.

Answer choice E nails it and is thus correct. If the increased APR will worsen the default situation (which is what the CEO is trying to account for by increasing the APR), then it is very possible that the goal of increasing profits will not be accomplished. The company may actually end up decreasing profits even further, or remaining steady.

I hope this helps!

Great!! Thanks for the explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: CEO: Over the past several years, we have more than doubled our revenu [#permalink]
Can you pl. clarify why option A is out of scope? You said that since we are concentrating on one company at hand, thinking of others is just lrrelevant. Whatif it is our systemic or national problem?
Ok, it is about many other companies, not all. So, we can't say this as systemic problem. I am trying to fit option A through replacing 'many others' by 'all'. What if, it were the same problem of almost every company? in this case, can we think option A a candidate?
In addition, I have another explanation regarding option C. The option C tries to tempt us to present a reason why the default rate is higher now and how it will be reduced overtime after unemployment improves. Whatif unemployment solves, but ppl don't change their habit? So, we need another assumption that reduction of unemployment rate will reduce default rate. Any answer choice requiring further assumption or condition to make the argument works is wrong! If Increase of A causes increase of B, who guarantees that reduction of A also causes reduction of B!
Pl. justify what I have said so far.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Why not B the answer? Regarding option A - Its is out of scope since we are not bothered about other industries. So in the same way - Option E - talks about APR rate in credit card industry or trend in credit card industry, so why are we bothered about credit card industry? It could be the case that APR rate in credit card industry is already high and increase in APR could something which people cant afford payback at any cost - I feel we cant compare.

Whats the flaw in my thinking? can someone explain this please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
CEO: Over the past several years, we have more than doubled our revenu [#permalink]
Dear AjiteshArun RonPurewal,

Is the highlighted portion below a claim or evidence or fact?

This increase will be sufficient to compensate for the current rate of defaults and allow us to increase our profits

I still cannot differentiate between a claim or evidence.

According to mikemcgarry (https://gmatclub.com/forum/claim-vs-evi ... 66410.html), a prediction such as the one above is a claim. But I feel that it could also be considered a given fact!

Thank you for your help Sir!

Originally posted by kornn on 16 Sep 2019, 03:34.
Last edited by kornn on 17 Sep 2019, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AjiteshArun,

This increase will be sufficient to compensate for the current rate of defaults and allow us to increase our profits

According to mikemcgarry (https://gmatclub.com/forum/claim-vs-evi ... 66410.html), a prediction such as the one above is a claim. But I feel that it could also be considered a given fact!

This is a claim. In fact it is THE claim - the main thing the passage is arguing.
It is a claim, rather than a fact or evidence, because it is a conclusion drawn from the previous bits of evidence provided.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
CEO: Over the past several years, we have more than doubled our revenu [#permalink]
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AjiteshArun,

This is a claim. In fact it is THE claim - the main thing the passage is arguing.
It is a claim, rather than a fact or evidence, because it is a conclusion drawn from the previous bits of evidence provided.

Dear DavidTutorexamPAL AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma,

I think that the conclusion is from the question stem, which states that a plan to increase interest rates can spur profitable growth. In my opinion, this is different from This increase will be sufficient to compensate for the current rate of defaults.

The reason why I am confused is because MGMAT's solution (P.167 in ed.6) says that:
"They're claiming that 12% will be enough to compensate for the current rate of people who don't pay..."
"The evidence shows only that the higher interest rate will be sufficient for today's default rate; that could change over time"

The 2 sentences above from the solution seem to be a paradox. I am not sure which to believe.

Thank you in advance !

Originally posted by kornn on 16 Sep 2019, 05:31.
Last edited by kornn on 17 Sep 2019, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
varotkorn wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AjiteshArun,

I think that the conclusion is from the question stem, which states that a plan to increase interest rates can spur profitable growth. In my opinion, this is different from This increase will be sufficient to compensate for the current rate of defaults.

The reason why I am confused is because MGMAT's solution says that:
"They're claiming that 12% will be enough to compensate for the current rate of people who don't pay..."
"The evidence shows only that the higher interest rate will be sufficient for today's default rate; that could change over time"

The 2 sentences above from the solution seem to be a paradox. I am not sure which to believe.

Thank you in advance !

First off, The conclusion will never be hiding in the question - it will ALWAYS be in the paragraph itself. The question stem is merely rephrasing the paragraph's conclusion.

Second of all, I agree the wording there is confusing. But distinguish between the evidence itself - what it is - and what someone claims the evidenceshows: what it shows could certainly be the conclusion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Based on the reason as stated for eliminating option B, can we "generalize" that in "weaken the plan" questions, we can ignore the answer choices providing alternate solutions (which are expected/stated better than proposed plan)?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:

The reason why I am confused is because MGMAT's solution (P.167 in ed.6) says that:

Thank you in advance !

The "conclusion" is the conclusion of the argument. Sometimes, the conclusion may not be explicitly stated in the argument though you can easily figure out what it is. The question stem may word or reword the conclusion to make things easier for you. That is what it does here.

CEO: We have more than doubled our revenues but profits have steadily declined.
More customers have failed to pay their balances.
To compensate for these higher default rates, increase the interest rate from 9.5% to 12%.
This increase will be sufficient to compensate for the current rate of defaults.

Conclusion: This increase will allow us to increase our profits.

Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously undermine a plan to increase interest rates in order to spur profitable growth?

The conclusion in the question stem relates to "increasing interest rates for better profit".
The obvious issue with this plan could be an increase in default rates. Then the increased interest rate may not be able to make up for the shortfall.

(E) An increase in the APR charged on credit card balances often results in higher rates of default.

Perfectly points out the problem with the plan.

Answer (E)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts