GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Oct 2018, 11:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:56) correct 58% (02:02) wrong based on 306 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of climate change.

Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?

A.) The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
B.) The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.
C.) The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
D.) The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
E.) The oil companies don't believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their interests.

I can't for the life of me figure out how the OA makes any sense - just want to see if anyone else will get it.

Originally posted by understudy on 27 Jul 2009, 21:39.
Last edited by Skywalker18 on 08 Oct 2018, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:47
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to
limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these
same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of
climate change. Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?

A The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.

B The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies
that might be used to combat global warming.

C The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.

D
The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.

E The oil companies don’t believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their
interests.

Give explanations please
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 06:15
A,C and E>>i think are irrelevant.

was stuck b/w B and D....

i go for B...OA plzzz.. :?:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 06:24
understudy wrote:
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of climate change.

Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?

A.) The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
B.) The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.
C.) The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
D.) The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
E.) The oil companies don't believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their interests.

I can't for the life of me figure out how the OA makes any sense - just want to see if anyone else will get it.

A) MAYBE. The companies might have started investing due to the criticism.
B) MAYBE. In a way if they are doing "just enough" to not make the problem as severe so they can show people that due to their "advancement" the problem is not that severe
C) irrelevant. does not explain the discrepancy
D) prob not. I dont think they are undermining the research of others if they are doing similar research?
E) no. what's the point of them doing research if they dont believe it?

I think B. If the oil companies are "countering" claims made by researches by researching solutions then the overall problem will be less severe. In a way it is like putting simple patches on a sinking boat - it will make it sink much slower and whenever there is another hole it will be patched up but eventually the patches will not hold for long.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 06:27
IMO B, OA please??

While D might be tempting, it will not help answer both the contradictory premises. 1) Undermining Government by saying that the global warming is severe 2) spending millions of dollars in research in long term effect of climate change

B will answer both of these discripiencies, since companies still do not change their position from undermining govt, at the same time invest money on further research.
The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.

D) The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven. - this will give us the reason for the "undermining of govt" but doesnt give a reason for companies to invest.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2009, 09:12
OA is B. Good job guys.

Still seems that B simply restates what is already said in the paragraph.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2009, 09:47
my choice too was B

To begin its easy to boil down to two options B & E. in case of E its says that companies believe that NO scientific research wold be beneficial. this is too extreme poison which does not correspond with argument that they invest in research for long term effects . . else why would they invest. so this option does not work.

now we are left with B and that's the answer. (though justifying B is a bit difficult, process of elimination worked for me)

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2009, 20:02

A. The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
B. The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.
C. The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
D. The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
E. The oil companies don't believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their interests.

Answer to come
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2009, 13:43
I went with D as well - this one is a toughie

OA is B

Explained by -
This choice provides a motive for companies to invest in global warming research. If the research is specifically geared at developing technologies used to combat global warming, this research represents a long-term strategy for finding new ways for the companies to profit. This is in contrast with the research that the oil companies oppose - research focused on the severity and immediacy of the issue, a focus which might lead to government action that could have a negative impact on the profitability of the oil companies in the short term.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2010, 04:24
Wats the OA?

Spread some happiness..Press Kudos! :)

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2012, 08:26
Premise 1- Oil Companies - Poor Corporate Citizen because they oppose Govt Action on Global warming which is based on scientific studies that term Global Warming as severe.

Premise 2 - Same companies spend dollars in scientific study to study effects of climatic change.

To solve this discrepancy that Oil Companies are on one hand opposing govt action (to oppose global warming, based on scientific studies) and on the other hand same companies are spending dollars to address Climatic change.

We need some info which can justify this disconnect between money spent by oil companies and where it is spent.

(A) Time duration not sufficient.
(B) Very finely proves that if the Oil companies are putting dollars to find out effects of climatic change then they very well believe that global warming can bring climatic change, thus they cannot refute Govt's action to oppose global warming by undermining the scientific study
(C) Profits. Not related here.
(D) Incorrect because if that scientific study is not proven yet then there is no discrepancy.
(E) What oil companies believe or not does not help solve the discrepancy.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2012, 23:44
aditi1903 wrote:
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to
limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these
same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of
climate change
. Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?
• The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
• The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies
• The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
• The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
• The oil companies don’t believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their
interests.

Give explainations please

aditi1903 - they key here is the bold part. So option B right.
C oppose G's scientific research because they are not finding sols to the problems but seeing how big the problem is, which is already sever and the results would affect the company further. But the company is finding sol to the problem using their own research that will resolve the problem.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 08:12
aditi1903 wrote:
climate change. Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?
• The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
• The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies
• The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
• The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
• The oil companies don’t believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their
interests.

I had to chose b/w B and D, and I think D is better, any thoughts, anyone?
How do I eliminate D?

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 08:41
hermit84 wrote:
aditi1903 wrote:
interests.

I had to chose b/w B and D, and I think D is better, any thoughts, anyone?
How do I eliminate D?

hermit84 - question asks us to explains the apparent discrepancy? So what's the discrepancy? companies have invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of climate change BUT they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe
so the correct answer should tie both sides of the argument i.e give us a rational as to why company did both the stuff, which is sort of contradictory to begin with. Now Option D says "The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven" Does it answer why Companies oppose the G's research - NO? Does it answer why they invested in their own research ? - NO so this is Out of scope...
Even if this answer choice answers 1 of the question also it CANNOT BE the correct answer, as the right answer should EXPLAIN BOTH SIDES, which is very important!

please let me know in case of any questions... cheers
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 08:58
the official Explaination is as follows:
The passage describes an apparent discrepancy. On the one hand oil companies
undermine scientific research that portrays global warming as a severe problem,
presumably because this research will lead to government action that might harm
the companies' profits. On the other hand, these same companies invest millions
of dollars in climate change research. The correct answer must provide a motive
for the companies to invest in certain research related to global warming.
(A) This choice establishes a time frame for when the oil companies began
investing research dollars. However, it does not provide a reason as to why they
would make this investment.
(B) CORRECT. This choice provides a motive for companies to invest in global
warming research. If the research is specifically geared at developing
technologies used to combat global warming, this research represents a longterm
strategy for finding new ways for the companies to profit. This is in contrast
with the research that the oil companies oppose - research focused on the
severity and immediacy of the issue, a focus which might lead to government
action that could have a negative impact on the profitability of the oil companies
in the short term.
(C) The fact that the government action would negatively affect the oil companies
explains why they would oppose this scientific research. It does not provide a
reason why they would also invest in scientific research related to global
warming.
(D) The fact that the scientific data related to the severity of global warming is not
definitive does not provide a reason as to why oil companies would invest
millions of dollars in research that accepts that global warming will have longterm
affects.
(E) If oil companies didn't believe that any scientific research related to climate
change will serve their interests, there would be no reason for them to invest any
money in such research.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:26
aditi1903 wrote:
the official Explaination is as follows:
The passage describes an apparent discrepancy. On the one hand oil companies
undermine scientific research that portrays global warming as a severe problem,
presumably because this research will lead to government action that might harm
the companies' profits. On the other hand, these same companies invest millions
of dollars in climate change research. The correct answer must provide a motive
for the companies to invest in certain research related to global warming.
(A) This choice establishes a time frame for when the oil companies began
investing research dollars. However, it does not provide a reason as to why they
would make this investment.
(B) CORRECT. This choice provides a motive for companies to invest in global
warming research. If the research is specifically geared at developing
technologies used to combat global warming, this research represents a longterm
strategy for finding new ways for the companies to profit. This is in contrast
with the research that the oil companies oppose - research focused on the
severity and immediacy of the issue, a focus which might lead to government
action that could have a negative impact on the profitability of the oil companies
in the short term.
(C) The fact that the government action would negatively affect the oil companies
explains why they would oppose this scientific research. It does not provide a
reason why they would also invest in scientific research related to global
warming.
(D) The fact that the scientific data related to the severity of global warming is not
definitive does not provide a reason as to why oil companies would invest
millions of dollars in research that accepts that global warming will have longterm
affects.
(E) If oil companies didn't believe that any scientific research related to climate
change will serve their interests, there would be no reason for them to invest any
money in such research.

Thanks for OE, I think I got it now.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 15:45
hogann wrote:
I went with D as well - this one is a toughie

OA is B

Explained by -
This choice provides a motive for companies to invest in global warming research. If the research is specifically geared at developing technologies used to combat global warming, this research represents a long-term strategy for finding new ways for the companies to profit. This is in contrast with the research that the oil companies oppose - research focused on the severity and immediacy of the issue, a focus which might lead to government action that could have a negative impact on the profitability of the oil companies in the short term.

Really? I went with C on this one. But I guess there's no use in explaining my faulty logic
I'm surprised though about this reasoning, for me there are a lot of assumptions implied in that answered.
Hope that GMAT questions are a bit less ambiguous than this one.
Good question though,
Cheers!
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 10:59
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of

A The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.

B The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.

C The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.

D
The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.

E The oil companies don’t believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their interests.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 19:42
This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Paradox Revision Project.

Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of climate change. Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?

A. The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.

B. The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.

C. The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.

D. The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.

E. The oil companies don’t believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their interests.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Schulich Jan'19
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.11

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 07:11
There are 2 points:
1- scientific research that classifies global warming as severe.
2- oil companies investing millions to address the long term effects.

A- explains 1 but does not explain 2
B- explains 2 but does not explain 1
C- explains 1 but does not explain 2
E- opposes 2
D- correct. If the scientific research is not proven then companies have the right to oppose it(1 explained). Also they start research funded by them to address the long term effects just in case(2 explained).

+1 if correct.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2015, 07:11

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap