Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ALTA.MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey chemeji you have a really nice profile. Coming from a bit of a crowded applicant pool but still think with a good essay/application you have as good a chance as anyone with your strong GPA, GMAT, and early work experience. The application matters so put your best foot forward there as well

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey @fearfulresistence thanks for all of the info. Very inter sting story and career trajectory. You have a good profile with a few red flags. Red flags are fine for most schools but when you’re applying to some of the top schools in the world it can make things a bit more challenging. So i would make sure you are incorporating a broader range of schools. But give it a shot and with your interesting story you have an outside shot at your target schools. On paper you are there, just need to make sure your past is clear and the learnings even clearer

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey noxn i really like your profile for the schools you’re targeting. You won’t necessarily wow these schools with your GPA or GMAT but your work experience is really fantastic and fairly unique. Think it will help you standout. Now it will be up to you to convey that because at first glance it may not all come across as impressive as it is. So i think you’re in play but the execution of your application will be key

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Indian, Female, 30 Years

GMAT – 720

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) – (Non-IIT---top 5% in the university) – (2004-2008)-4.0 GPA
Grad: Master of Science (Computer Science) – Univ of California, Davis – (2010-2013)-3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
After Undegrad:
Lectureship at Government Engineering College (2008-2010), Mentor at Placement/Recruitment Club for the students at that college
After Masters:
Software Engineer at Cisco Systems, San Jose from 2012-present, with one promotion.
-Leading the team as a senior software engineer,
-customer facing position, trying to understand the issues the customer have with our product and try to accommodate the needs/recommendation of customer
-Interaction with marketing (product management/TMEs) for narrowing down the features customer ask for

Extra Curriculars –
- Volunteering at a certain Engineering College in India for placement guidance, campus preparation and resume review.
- Organizing various events in our Business Unit at Cisco, from Socials or Picnics to hackathon etc.
- Mentoring new hires and Interns
- Organizing volunteering activities for our cross-functional group at Cisco.
- Part of team organizing fund-raising (In Silicon Valley) for education of underprivileged children in India.
- Organized Hepatitis B vaccination drive at my mother's work place (one of the most reputed banks in India) for 5 consecutive years

Hobbies -
- Dance (founder of dance/drama club in my undergrad college)
- sports (winner of University badminton championships in undergrad for 3 years, stopped after knee injury)

Achievements:
- Won multiple hackathons at Cisco (couple of them where I was the team leader)
- Won multiple awards at Cisco for recognizing my performance and leadership
- Won scholarship till under graduation from State Bank Of India on Merit

Target Schools
- Haas
- Sloan
- Booth
- Columbia

Post MBA Goal:
- Make a career change and move to Marketing in Computer Networking Industry

Are the target Schools a bit of stretch for my profile? Will Harvard or Stanford or Wharton be out my reach? Being 30 and going for full time, any tips?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I’m from Saudi Arabia, I graduated from Pennsylvania state university as a petroleum engineer, I haven’t taken the GMAT yet but let’s say that I can get something around 720-750, and with a 4 years experience in Saudi Aramco one of the biggest oil companies in the world if not the biggest.
What’s my chances of getting accepted to Harvard?

Posted from my mobile device
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
EyadHK wrote:
I’m from Saudi Arabia, I graduated from Pennsylvania state university as a petroleum engineer, I haven’t taken the GMAT yet but let’s say that I can get something around 720-750, and with a 4 years experience in Saudi Aramco one of the biggest oil companies in the world if not the biggest.

Hi EyadHK, thanks for your question. There's a lot more to the admissions process than simply having 4 yrs of good work experience and a 750 GMAT. If you end up with that-- it gives you a good leg to stand on in submitting applications to any top program BUT-- and this is a big BUT-- that alone is not the only thing you need. If your sights are set on HBS or any other top program-- I encourage you now-- ahead of the official application season-- to start researching the program-- and by that I mean-- listen to their webinars, reach out to current students-- and understand WHICH resources at HBS are going to help you reach your goals. Then think about your own background and how you compare to what HBS states they are looking for:https://www.accesseducation.com/about.html which beyond Analytical Aptitude and Appetite-- are also the Habit of Leadership and Engaged community citizenship. So for leadership they really want to see someone who has led in many areas of their life and also given back to their community in impactful ways. This is all very important-- so don't focus just on the analytical aptitude as the other metrics must be there as well. We have many HBS alums as counselors for Stratus and if you want to speak with one to get a better sense of what you can do to prepare -- I encourage you to reach out to us at this link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
EyadHK wrote:

Eyad,

Thank you for the post. Saudi Aramco does well sending applicants to top schools including HBS. That said, as mentioned before, we need a lot more information as there really isn't much to judge from.

- What school did you go to for undergrad?
- What were your grades?
- What roles have you had at work?
- How is your performance relative to peers?
- What else do you do outside of work?

These are a few things I would start with. Feel free to reach out directly if you would like and I can compare you against our other Saudi clients to give you the unfiltered response. www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q157 V153
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
23 male chartered accountant Indian(first attempt) . 1 year of experience and gmat score of 710

Sent from my SM-G615F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q157 V153
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
23 male chartered accountant Indian(first attempt) . 1 year of experience and gmat score of 710

Sent from my SM-G615F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
EyadHK,

Thank you for sharing your profile. Indeed, the quantitative aspects of your profile place you among the candidates being considered for admissions. However, as mentioned, this is all that the quants offer. HBS seeks candidates that exude leadership and community engagement. You haven't mentioned anything about your community involvement or leadership experience. If these are areas that require some work, I recommend you begin addressing at the earliest. Once these are in place and you have a competitive GMAT score, then you need to work on showcasing your emotional intelligence (EQ). This is expressed in the SOP, LOR, and any qualitative aspect you show the AdComm, including the interview. I recommend you begin learning about the institution, why an MBA from HBS makes sense, and where do you hope the MBA takes you in your career.

I think you would benefit from a free consultation where we can learn more about your profile, and see how we can help. If interested, please email us (contact details below) or connect with us: https://siaadmissions.com/free-consultation/ to coordinate.

Good luck!

EyadHK wrote:

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3128 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Breaking- HBS releases the application deadlines and essay for the 2018-2019 season!
Read more ->
https://gmatclub.com/forum/hbs-applicat ... l#p2048868
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I would like to know my chances to get admission in HBD/Standford/Wharton/Kelogg. My details are in below-
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 750
Under Grad GPA: 3.2 in computer science
Post Grad GPA: 3.3, MS in information security from Australia
Work experience: 10 years as SAP developer, SAP functional consultant, SAP architect, project manager and Program manager
Worked in: IBM and Tata consultancy
Countries worked in: 2 years in Australia, 3 years in France, 2.5 years in UK, 6 months in Singapore and 2 years in India
Other courses: I have done PMP and prince 2 certification. Also I did SAP certification. Apart of that I have done few finance related courses.

I run a NGO on my own since 2017. It provides free education and meals to approx. 30 under priviledged children in India. I also run my own business in medical sector which has 60 employees.

Originally posted by pronoykundu on 20 Apr 2018, 20:07.
Last edited by pronoykundu on 21 Apr 2018, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pronoykundu wrote:
I would like to know my chances to get admission in HBD/Standford/Wharton/Kelogg. My details are in below-
Nationality: Indian
Under Grad: 3.2 in computer science
Post Grad: 3.3, MS in information security from Australia
Work experience: 10 years as SAP developer, SAP functional consultant, SAP architect, project manager and Program manager
Worked in: IBM and Tata consultancy
Countries worked in: 2 years in Australia, 3 years in France, 2.5 years in UK, 6 months in Singapore and 2 years in India
Other courses: I have done PMP and prince 2 certification. Also I did SAP certification. Apart of that I have done few finance related courses.

I run a NGO on my own since 2017. It provides free education and meals to approx. 30 under priviledged children in India. I also run my own business in medical sector which has 60 employees.

Though your demographics makes it more of a challenge, your added entrepreneurial prowess should make you very interesting to the top schools!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Background and nationality: British Male, age 23. 24 on Matriculation.

Undergrad Information: 3.5-3.7 GPA equivalent from top 3 law school in the UK

Work experience and leadership: I started working full time for a hedge fund full time during my final year of university, and have been there since. 1 promotion so far. Have taken both CFA I and II, will take level III before matriculation. Helped PM launch a new fund. will be 3.5 yrs experience upon matriculation. 2.5 yrs as at application date.

Community and others: Run marathons, keen to continue doing that.

Post MBA goals: Work for a few years in New York and then launch my own fund back in London.

Anything else?

Thanks for looking at this!

I'm also interested in CBS (mainly for the value investing programme)/Wharton - so any insight on what I need to improve (imagine I need to show more entrepreneurship / leadership / helping the community ?) for HBS/CBS/Wharton to consider me would be great.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DanH94 wrote:
Background and nationality: British Male, age 23. 24 on Matriculation.

Undergrad Information: 3.5-3.7 GPA equivalent from top 3 law school in the UK

Work experience and leadership: I started working full time for a hedge fund full time during my final year of university, and have been there since. 1 promotion so far. Have taken both CFA I and II, will take level III before matriculation. Helped PM launch a new fund. will be 3.5 yrs experience upon matriculation. 2.5 yrs as at application date.

Community and others: Run marathons, keen to continue doing that.

Post MBA goals: Work for a few years in New York and then launch my own fund back in London.

Anything else?

Thanks for looking at this!

I'm also interested in CBS (mainly for the value investing programme)/Wharton - so any insight on what I need to improve (imagine I need to show more entrepreneurship / leadership / helping the community ?) for HBS/CBS/Wharton to consider me would be great.

Hi - Seems you have achieved what many want to do after bschool! For HBS, you may want to - as you say - consider ways to bolster your leadership profile. There is not too much time to meaningfully change your profile - but would focus on doing amazing things (out of the box) at work and digging into who you are and what makes you successful (and refine your future directions).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Hi all. I am an incoming student for one of the US MMS programs (Kellogg / Fuqua / etc) and will be looking to apply for deferred entry to HBS / GBS during my MMS year. Was hoping to get some perspectives on my profile and what weak aspects I can work on in the future, even if not for deferred entry then for regular entry down the line.

Goals pre-/post MBA: Consulting post-MMS, Tech Entrepreneurship post-MBA.

Undergrad: Expected high Upper Second Class Honors, Bachelor of Laws at semi-target UK Russell Group Uni (KCL / Bristol tier). GPA equivalent should be around 3.7~3.8 if translated.
GMAT: 790.

Qualifications:
- several business-related certifications on Coursera
- Wall Street Prep financial modelling course (basic package).
- Will also have completed CFA Level 2 by the time of my application (hopefully), along with the HBX CORe Program this summer.
- 3 months at a very well-known coding bootcamp in San Francisco during one of my summers - will be looking to use these programming skills to do an EduTech startup during my time at the MMS.

Professional Experiences: Probably my weakest point as I haven't done internships with any "target" companies.
- Two short summer internships with notable Asian law firms in corporate / M&A type stuff
- one winter internship with a technology startup (sparked my interest in tech entrepreneurship).
- Currently working remotely as a part-time digital marketing intern for a San Francisco-based start-up.
- Doing business development for a start-up this summer in London before the MMS.

Extracurriculars:
- Vice-captain for university football B-team
- Placed in finalist positions for some smaller international case competitions.
- university representative for UK-wide ethnic society for law
- have helped to organise careers workshops for students from impoverished backgrounds and to assist lawyers in defending financially disadvantaged criminals.

So yeah, any feedback would be great on my chances for HBS/GBS 2+2. Appreciate it guys. I think I probably have the "unique" background they might be looking for but my internships may be lacking on the quality front, especially when up against people who have done internships at GS / JPM / MBB etc. Also if anyone has an idea of how I can build up my profile over the next 1.5 years for deferred entry / 3 years for regular entry, would be great!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey,
I'm a college sophomore (still got time) interested in getting into HBS 2+2 (as well as Stanford GSB). I've currently got a 3.66 and am a chemical engineering major, probably going to keep it or possibly go higher, as most of the worst classes are being me. Haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I'm getting like a 710-720 in the practice exams, so hopefully I can pick it up a tad bit there.

GPA: 3.66
GMAT: Estimating between 710-720, haven't taken it yet

As far as leadership/extracurriculars, I was elected to executive board for the American Institute of Chemical Engineers and helped organize and manage a team of around 6 people for the regional conference and organize a career fair for all the chemical engineering undergrads. I'm also involved in undergraduate research, and we just submitted a paper that should be published soon in a physical chemistry journal, in which I am 4th author, and have won 1st place at a poster competition with the same lab. I also am in charge of hiring, training, and managing new interns in the lab and do so for a team of two interns who I manage.

I am also one of only four chemical engineering undergrads at my school (USC) to get a summer internship with a semiconductors company in research and devlopment, and will start that in a couple weeks.

What are the odds I make it in to 2+2 when I apply in my senior year? What should I do in my junior and senior years to look better as an applicant?
Thanks guys!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  53   
Moderators:
HBS and Wharton Moderator
55 posts
HBS & Haas Moderator
151 posts