GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 23:09
Avi2017 wrote:
Hello,

Would really love your input. I am really focused in going to Harvard/Stanford/Wharton. Please advise regarding my chances here. Please suggest other schools might be more practical if HSW are a reach.

Undergrad- The Ohio State University
GPA - 3.3
Major- Double Major - Finance/Accounting
Minor- Economics
Age- 26
WE- 4.5 years

Jobs held-
1 year Big 4 Valuation (Ernst & Young)
6 months Duff & Phelps Valuation (New York)
3 years Investment Banking- M&A in Tech and Media (New York)
Current Job- Manager in Corporate FP&A- M&A Special Projects team. (This is an elite team at the firm where I have significant responsibility impacting major decisions of the firm)

GMAT- 770
CFA- Taking Level 1 in December. Level 2 next year.

Volunteer & EC-
Founder & President of a top business organization at The Ohio State University (Won the Outstanding New Student Organization award in 2013)
One of the Advisers in a Finance Scholars organization, a renowned club that helps students learn finance
Big Brother (Big Brother Big Sister)

Please advise

Hi, Avi2017. You have some strong elements in your profile - your GMAT is high and if you pass the CFA Level One, that will certainly reassure the admissions committee that you can handle the coursework even though your GPA is a bit low for your target schools. With your work experience, make sure that you are demonstrating impact and leadership in your roles, not just responsibilities. Recommendations will also be key in helping you set yourself apart.

Other than that, are any of your EC's from a more recent timeframe, or are they all from college? If from college only, try to add some new activities ASAP, preferably ones that you might be able to connect to things you've done before. This will help demonstrate a continuing interest and commitment to something that covers a longer timeframe than otherwise might be shown in joining something new.

Without more detail, it's hard to predict your chances, but generally, H/S are reaches for everyone, so make sure to round out your list with other schools (and ones beyond Wharton!)
Which ones to add will depend upon your goals. What are you hoping to do post-MBA? Do you have particular skills that you're looking to build? Do you have any preferences for geography, size and teaching method? It's hard to build a list without more information. Feel free to book a free consultation on the mbaMission web site! We'd be happy to go more in depth with you.

Hope this is helpful!
Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jul 2018, 01:44
Hi

Need Profile evaluation for Harvard Sept 2019 intake

Background
Indian, Male, 35

Education - B Tech Mechanical Engg from IIT Kanpur with GPA 7.5 (on a scale of 10)

Work Ex -
Never worked as a Mechanical Engineer.
Got selected for the leading FMCG Sales Company in a post MBA role (without a formal MBA)
Was sent to IIM Bangalore for an Executive Management prog from the company.
grew business in Northern India (inluding Himalayan States of Jammu-Kashmir and Himachal) and was awarded highest growing sales manager

took a sabbatical after 4 years to prepare for the Indian Administrative Services and got through with an under top 50 All India Rank
Worked extensively in rural and under developed areas (districts) of an Indian state.
Initiated a lot of projects in government schools and coached many tribal and rural students to reach to IIT.
Headed some large government organizations in CEO/MD/Director role
Presently heading an Examination Conducting body which conducts Computer based examinations for more than 3 million students annually

Extra - professional -
public speaker. Have won numerous inter school, inter college debates including one at the IAS academy
Have spoken for TEDx (the talk has 15k views on YouTube)
Have taught in an NGO School for 4 years during IIT days
Still go for motivational lectures and career counselling sessions to school children

Passionate about working in the area of Education Management especially for school children

Very limited International Exposure - worked for 4 weeks in Shanghai (China) for the FMCG firm doing market research for a dodorants brand, Trained at an Administration School in Singapore for 2 weeks, Spouse worked as a post doc researcher in Germany for 2 years so have stayed in Germany for long durations (8 weeks in total) on holidays. Have traveled around europe but mostly as a tourist. However, have picked up a lot of ideas of governance from European countries and tried implementing in the Indian State government

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by CMT on 06 Jul 2018, 12:11.
Last edited by CMT on 11 Jul 2018, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 23:56
JohnAHD wrote:
Hello guys! I would love your input:

@JohnAHD :shocked

- 27 Male, Venezuelan-Syrian. First generation college student.
This is very interesting and highly diverse, this is a goldmine from the standpoint of an adcom member :)

- GMAT: 740 (Should I retake? I got 760 twice before the actual test )

If you're striving for round one at this point I would most definitely put all of your energy towards the recommendations the application in the essays. 740 is strong and it's definitely adequate and competitive for someone with your profile

- GPA: 3.85/5 Industrial Engineering in top engineering school in Venezuela ( i know, due to a combination of vocational, political and family obstacles), earned a fellowship to exchange for a year in France.

Très intéressant Où ça École Polytechnique ?

Graduate Diplomas on Marketing ("approved" - not scored)
I'm not exactly sure but I would not allow this to discourage you. Take a look at the GPA calculator tool on WES.org,,
Your GPA on a 4.0 scale might come out better than you think

Diploma on Financial Management (3.8)
WE:
1)2y9mo (at matriculation) in Market Strategy roles in Top 3 global Risk Consulting and Broking company. worked 4 roles at the same time, 2 promotions; led and managed projects of large impact, and intl exposure. (Venezuela)

2)1y1mo in P&G in Market Strategy and Planning as mostly full-time intern (used the time during which my school was on strike due to socio-political instability), awarded a 5/5 score. Rejected offer in R&D (only available post) due to vocational objectives. (Venezuela)

3)6mo internship in Client Strategy at French multinational in its headquarters (Paris)
EC and awards:
- 1yr Job at an NGO (after office, weekdays) for human rights and international activism regarding Venezuela´s situation. Part of the team who organized the largest unofficial referendum in history.
- 3yrs attended,+ 2 years led my schools team for Harvard´s Model UN in Boston. The two years I led it, we obtained large delegation awards, positioning my team above even Ivy Leagues and schools with more experience, resources and recognition.
- Volunteered in the rural indigenous area of Venezuela for diagnosis and solution of health and nutrition problems of these communities (2w)
- Languages: Spanish, English, French, Arab.
- Other (less relevant): Placed 41/9000+ and 47/6000+ honor roll for admission tests in college; University and municipality recognition for international representation of the country, participated in two other leadership conferences, nominated for best subject final essay by teacher. Traveled to 25 countries and twice as many cities abroad
Goal: Transition into strategy consulting to apply the macro business perspective I´ve been wanting to develop. Long term: Rebuild my country from the private sector as a regional corporate leader/entrepreneur.

Do you think I´ve got a shot? Planning to apply in round 1 this year.

WOW! I stopped putting comments in there because this is all completely awesome. I think you have a terrific shot here all the way around in terms of your professional experience...your goals....your international exposure; altogether you're exactly what HBS is looking for in terms of their global citizen thrust of late.

However I would definitely not be overconfident given that it is HBS so make sure that you do the application well all the way around.

I would really urge you to also apply to GSB if that interests you and to the Wharton Lauder program - you are an ideal candidate for that. Its well suited to your goals.

Definitely get in touch if you're looking for someone to work with you on your application, would love to have a chat.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 08:49
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
JohnAHD wrote:

I would really urge you to also apply to GSB if that interests you and to the Wharton Lauder program - you are an ideal candidate for that. Its well suited to your goals.

Definitely get in touch if you're looking for someone to work with you on your application, would love to have a chat. [/b]

Hello! Thank you so much for your input! And now that you mention it, I´m full on in my school research, speaking with mbas and mba candidates and I´ve fallen in love with other schools, incñuding GSB and Wharton (still evaluating Lauder). I´ll make sure to keep hard at it so I end up applying to the schools in which I actually want to study -and live!-.
En fait c´était à l´UTC, à Compiegne. Une belle ville :ok
I decided I´ll focus on my apps and keep my GMAT score as is, thanks for the advice.
I´m worried about my not so stellar undergrad transcript, specially with the most demanding schools. I work on compensating for that and hope for the best.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.3
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 11:07
My main concern is my low GPA and jumpy career history (circling around the sales/PR/marketing drain, and switching industries from toys to SaaS (tech), before settling in Sales/SaaS 3-4 years ago). I've accomplished a lot at the companies I've worked for, received 5 promotions and held leadership roles for the last 3 years, but it's still not very impressive IMHO. It also took me yearsssss to graduate from my ALB, simply because of so many health and financial issues -- I had to keep taking time off.

During undergrad, I was seriously ill, once homeless, and worked full-time while studying, so I'm hoping this will shine a brighter light on my dim academics and inconsistent profile. I want my themes to be 1. failing, and then picking myself back up again to show tenacity, and 2. overcoming obstacles, and now wanting to start my own company to make the world a better place. I also persisted despite all the constant obstacles, and now I've graduated with a 3.2 GPA, 730 GMAT, have received 5 promotions, hold a leadership role, and I'm founding my own company while living abroad.

Academics:
- 3.29 GPA, social sciences
- 730 GMAT (RETAKING aiming for a 780)
- Completing HBX CORe (Harvard business 'prep' course) soon with a goal of an A (4.0) average
- Undergrad was at Harvard Extension School

Work Experience:
- American, 3 years of international experience (Germany - working language proficiency)
- 8 years of professional experience, 4 years in people management/leadership roles
- Managed 15 people at maximum, now managing around 5 people (switched companies, and now growing the team from 0 to 5)
- 5 promotions, from intern >associate > senior associate > team lead > senior manager > head of sales
- Starting my own company, in the very early stages

Life Background:
- Aged 30
- Experienced a life-threatening illness and homeless during undergrad - hence the low GPA
- Also worked full-time during all of undergrad, taking classes at night
- Decent amount of volunteering experience
- "Theme" of my application is overcoming hardship/life threatening illness/and homelessness, and now wanting to start my own company and make the world a better place
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 21:30
JohnAHD wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
JohnAHD wrote:

Definitely get in touch if you're looking for someone to work with you on your application, would love to have a chat. [/b]

Hello! Thank you so much for your input! And now that you mention it, I´m full on in my school research, speaking with mbas and mba candidates and I´ve fallen in love with other schools, incñuding GSB and Wharton (still evaluating Lauder). I´ll make sure to keep hard at it so I end up applying to the schools in which I actually want to study -and live!-.
En fait c´était à l´UTC, à Compiegne. Une belle ville :ok
I decided I´ll focus on my apps and keep my GMAT score as is, thanks for the advice.
I´m worried about my not so stellar undergrad transcript, specially with the most demanding schools. I work on compensating for that and hope for the best.

JohnAHD - would encourage you to place your focus more on the program than the location. Here's my 2 cents:
https://mbaessaycoaching.com/2017/02/09/mba-program-location-unimportant/

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 16:36
Hey there, I am currently a sophomore (2 yrs more until graduation) and am looking forward to getting enrolled in the Harvard 2+2 program. I would be grateful if you could evaluate my profile and suggest me actions I should take in order to enhance my chances. Thanks!

Race: Indian

University: top engineering college ( selection rate less than 1 percent with 1.5 million candidates)
GPA: 8/10
Stream: Chemical Engineering

Internships: business advisor and marketing strategist for a medium scale social organisation that offers support to grass root level entrepreneurs.

Foreign exchange: attended a top design school in USA as a summer exchange student. (only 3 undergrad students selected)

Leadership roles:

Founder and coordinator of the E cell of the institute.
Founder and organizer of an event focused on giving young innovators a platform to show case their work, helping them get more exposure from several organisations and incubation centres. Theme being social innovation.
Core marketing member for the technical fest of the institute
Sponsorship associate for the cultural fest of the institute
Founding member of the competitive automobile building club
Organiser tedx and MUN

Projects: a product design projects,where in the product was to be commercially viable, and a system design project focused on evaluation of the current system in place and improving the same.

Some other relevant information:

I am a passionate traveller and have travelled across several States of India to survey the state of the small scale industries present the areas.

The whole journey inspired me to work toward making a social innovation to help those who are exploited, and plan to work on it in the near future.

I have a strong story to tell, as many things I am currently doing have a strong reason behind them, that very well align into a story.
I'm positive that I would be able to get a gmat score of more than 720 (based on practice tests).

What are my chances of getting into Harvard 2+2 based on my current profile?
Which are the areas where you would suggest I should work on?
And what would be the ideal GMAT score to aim for?

Thanks alot!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GRE 1: Q170 V168
GPA: 3.94
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:55
Profile evaluation appreciated!

Basics
Male, 24, White (Ukrainian, Jewish Immigrant —> American Citizen)

Undergrad
Hunter College (Macaulay Honors Program) in City University of New York (CUNY)
Major: Computer Science, Minor: Political Science
GPA: 3.94, GRE: V - 168, Q - 170, AW - 5.5

Awards
- College Valedictorian
- Hertog Scholar
- Goldsmith Scholar

Experience
- Software Engineer at Bloomberg for 3 years (full-time)
- Adjunct Lecturer of CS at Hunter College (part-time in evenings after Bloomberg)
- iOS Developer Intern at Foursquare (full-time summer internship)

Extracurriculars
- hackNY Fellow 2015 and Mentor 2016 & 2017 (Social good + tech organization)
- Moot Court Team Co-founder at Hunter College

Miscellaneous
- Stanford Summer Session Student (GPA: 4.0)
- Technology-based research in (1) Geography lab and (2) Computer Vision/Robotics lab
- Tech projects including MORPG game (college Capstone), un-“filter bubbled” news app (Facebook Journalism Project winner)

Recommenders
- Team Lead at Bloomberg (MBA & MS)
- Assistant Professor of CS at USF (MBA & MS)
- CS Chair at Hunter College (MS only)

Post MBA/MS Goals (Note: I am applying to MBA and MS in CS dual or joint degree programs)
- Globalizing volunteerism across disciplines through a design-thinking, civic-tech based startup
- CTO or Team Lead at self-founded or early stage startup, or Google X
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.3
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 13:48
Do you get joy out of putting people down? That's honestly kinda sad

730 on my gmat first try without studying, 780 shouldn't be too hard. thankfully, I don't waste my time putting folks down, so it frees up lots of time for learning ;)

"aiming for a 780"?
stop kidding yourself bud- if that's how it worked everyone would have a 780

you're a little old for harvard, i highly doubt you'd make it in. sorry[/quote]
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 15:11
Hi,

I'd like a profile evaluation and more importantly suggestions for area for improvement.

- 25, Asian male
Undergrad: 3.6 GPA in Engineering at a top non-Ivy (UChicago, Duke, etc.)
GMAT: 750 (48 Q/44 V, 8/8 IR, 6/6 AWA)
Work: Started off as a consultant at a technology company and moved towards software engineering and currently at a fintech start-up, took about 6 months off in-between to build my own start-up and am actively working on products/projects (dream is to go into VC/entrepreneurship)
Extracurriculars: fitness (weightlifting, marathon training), was president of fraternity in college, tutoring/teaching
-Goal: Learn about finance and develop my network => to build products that interest me and are good for the world
Targets: M7 (not worth IMO for the high tuition cost and opportunity cost else)

Thank you so much!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GRE 1: Q166 V164
GPA: 3.97
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 10:04
Hi,

If someone can help me with their views on my profile:

Indian, Male, GMAT: 750 (Q51, V40, IR8), though I am worried about my AWA score. Got a 4/6

1) Work-ex: 3 years at an MBB firm (about to become PL), will have 4 by the time I join - strong performance
2) Undergrad: BTech in Civil Engineering from a major IIT, CGPA: 9.42/10, Top of class
3) Postgrad: PGDM (Indian MBA) from IIM Ahmedabad, CGPA: 3.645/4.33, Top 3% of class

Achievements: Multiple awards and scholarships, ranked among top 0.03 percentile among 2,00,000+ candidates in Common Admission Test (for admission to IIMs)
Extra Curriculars:
- Core team member for Organization of IIMA Business Conference - largest business conference in Asia
- For major project, completed Environmental Impact Assessment for the shrine of a major religion - report outcomes initiated investments worth ~USD7Mn by state government
- Work with a hospital counselling cancer patients, preparing post-hospitalization care materials - counselled 40+ patients in past year
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GRE 1: Q166 V164
GPA: 3.97
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
HELP: Unbalanced score and profile - 750 (Q51, V40, IR8, AWA: 4.0/6.0)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 20:31
Hi,

If someone can help me with their views on my profile. I have an AWA - 4.0/6.0 and that is what concerns me given that my schools of Harvard, Wharton and LBS:

Indian, Male, GMAT: 750

1) Work-ex: 3 years at an MBB firm (about to become PL), will have 4 by the time I join - strong performance
2) Undergrad: BTech in Civil Engineering from a major IIT, CGPA: 9.42/10, Top of class
3) Postgrad: PGDM (Indian MBA) from IIM Ahmedabad, CGPA: 3.645/4.33, Top 3% of class

Achievements: Multiple awards and scholarships, ranked among top 0.03 percentile among 2,00,000+ candidates in Common Admission Test (for admission to IIMs)
Extra Curriculars:
- Core team member for Organization of IIMA Business Conference - largest business conference in Asia
- For major project, completed Environmental Impact Assessment for the shrine of a major religion - report outcomes initiated investments worth ~USD7Mn by state government
- Work with a hospital counselling cancer patients, preparing post-hospitalization care materials - counselled 40+ patients in past year
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 01:15
Hello AkarshS

Congratulations on the score. Without going into detail, I'll just say- Focus on the applications.
http://99colleges.com/low-awa-score-should-i-retake-the-gmat/
Apart from that the details of the profile are very 'quantitative' in nature.
Based on that I'd say you have the goods (Acads, GMAT, Brand on CV, Role), but you need to deliver them (via your essays and LORs of course), so get cracking.
Needless to say your story telling will have to make you stand out and bring out a strong reason to pursue a second MBA that too from a tier-1 school (an understatement) in India.
You can read here on complete profile details.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

AkarshS wrote:
Hi,

If someone can help me with their views on my profile. I have an AWA - 4.0/6.0 and that is what concerns me given that my schools of Harvard, Wharton and LBS:

Extra Curriculars:

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 07:11
Hi AkarshS,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. And congratulations on a 750 GMAT score! Quantitatively speaking, you have a great background. However, the qualitative measures of the application need to match, and perhaps even supersede, the quantitative. As you prepare your application, focus on telling your story - where you have come from, why an MBA, and why do you require an MBA from these particular institutions. Do not overestimate the importance of story-telling, and each application and each school will have its own criteria and modes of assessing your candidacy. Assuming you are targetting R1 if you haven't started already, begin working on your applications immediately, so you give yourself ample time to prepare and submit an application that is fitting of your background.

If you would like to continue the conversation, please feel free to reach out and schedule a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

AkarshS wrote:
Hi,

Extra Curriculars:

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 10:41
Hello
Kindly evaluate profile.

This is daljeet
indian male
Gmat prepration in progress

Bachelor of ayurvedic medicine and surgery.
7 year experinence of hospital industry (clinical and manegerial)

Extracircular.

Best sportsman of school
Won varoius sports tournaments as caption of school team.
Holds grade certificate from dept. Of sports ,govt of punjab

Prade commander of school team
(participated in prade organised on the eve of indipendance day and republic day by local adminstration with team as prade commander, lead the team in march pass event)

College times
Best athlete of college.
Class representative for my batch .
Member of extracircular activities commitee

As a team member of organising comittee ,organised varoius events in college like annual function, alumini meet.,etc

Caption of bhangra(traditional punabi boys group dance) team.

Others

(Mr singh international is personality and modeling compitation organised by regional tv chennel)

Participated in mr singh international 2009 , reached last round and top six positions.

Participated Mr singh international 2011 as active member of organisation committee.

Organised various blood donation camps with the help of volunteer.

Attended various free medical camps .

Special mention
Participated in emergency medical services as team leader during the visit of President of india to an airforce station.

I was a part of professional dance and dj group as anchor during college days to earn some extra money.

Kindly provide profile evaluation.
Thaks a lot
Regards

Daljeet singh.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 10:42
Hello
Kindly evaluate profile.

This is daljeet
indian male
Gmat prepration in progress

Bachelor of ayurvedic medicine and surgery.
7 year experinence of hospital industry (clinical and manegerial)

Extracircular.

Best sportsman of school
Won varoius sports tournaments as caption of school team.
Holds grade certificate from dept. Of sports ,govt of punjab

Prade commander of school team
(participated in prade organised on the eve of indipendance day and republic day by local adminstration with team as prade commander, lead the team in march pass event)

College times
Best athlete of college.
Class representative for my batch .
Member of extracircular activities commitee

As a team member of organising comittee ,organised varoius events in college like annual function, alumini meet.,etc

Caption of bhangra(traditional punabi boys group dance) team.

Others

(Mr singh international is personality and modeling compitation organised by regional tv chennel)

Participated in mr singh international 2009 , reached last round and top six positions.

Participated Mr singh international 2011 as active member of organisation committee.

Organised various blood donation camps with the help of volunteer.

Attended various free medical camps .

Special mention
Participated in emergency medical services as team leader during the visit of President of india to an airforce station.

I was a part of professional dance and dj group as anchor during college days to earn some extra money.

Kindly provide profile evaluation.
Thaks a lot
Regards

Daljeet singh.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 19:17
Hi,

Requesting a profile evaluation. Many Thanks.

Profile: 27 years old from India

Test Scores:
GMAT - 750
IELTS - 7.5

Academic Scores:
Grade 10 - 82.5%(ICSE Board)
Grade 12 - 92.2%(ISC Board) - Achieved 1st Rank in Class
Bachelor in Management Studies(Specialization in Finance) - 75%

Work Experience:

(August 2013-October 2015) Citigroup, Mumbai - 24 months experience in the investment banking division in Mumbai. Worked as a research analyst and as a team leader handling various tasks such as managing day-to-day shifts including handling the workflow; mentoring & training, etc.

(April 2016 - July 2018) Started my own business and handled all aspects of business on my own. Set the business from the ground up, created marketing campaigns and interacted with customers. I failed to scale the startup and I'm now looking to get back into the corporate sector.

*The 6 month gap year is because I was working out other startup ideas before finalizing the current one*

Extracurricular :

Guitar (Level 2 certified from Trinity College, London)
Sports(Table Tennis)
Currently learning French(appearing for the DELF exams this year)

Why I'm doing an MBA? - To develop a specialization in finance and entrepreneurship and networking with like-minded individuals to become an entrepreneur post-MBA.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 02:27
rhnbansal wrote:
Hi,

Test Scores:
GMAT - 750
IELTS - 7.5

Academic Scores:

Work Experience:

(August 2013-October 2015) Citigroup, Mumbai - 24 months experience in the investment banking division in Mumbai. Worked as a research analyst and as a team leader handling various tasks such as managing day-to-day shifts including handling the workflow; mentoring & training, etc.

(April 2016 - July 2018) Started my own business and handled all aspects of business on my own. Set the business from the ground up, created marketing campaigns and interacted with customers. I failed to scale the startup and I'm now looking to get back into the corporate sector.

*The 6 month gap year is because I was working out other startup ideas before finalizing the current one*

Extracurricular :

Sports(Table Tennis)

Why I'm doing an MBA? - To develop a specialization in finance and entrepreneurship and networking with like-minded individuals to become an entrepreneur post-MBA.

Huh-huh! (In Mr Bean's Voice)
Good credential.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 03:57
Hello rhnbansal

Harvard is going to evaluate your profile on admission factors mentioned here.
If we dissect your profile this is what we get-
Past scores and GMAT check the box.
Would help to understand your achievements at work and whether you are currently doing a job. More than years/industry/role what will matter here is your story, career progress and content of your work ex.
Extracurricular also look solid, showcase the real stories and impact in all these activities.
Not very convinced with the career goals though- since you have already worked in the finance field and have been an entrepreneur too, why an MBA, that too in the US/Harvard. The goals will have to be a bit more specific here and the MBA must tie in with your long term vision of your career. You could add to hour research by reading here
Needless to say execution of essays is of paramount importance in your specific case (to show the jump from job to entrepreneurship to present situation to MBA).
Should you have further questions, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

rhnbansal wrote:
Hi,

Test Scores:
GMAT - 750
IELTS - 7.5

Academic Scores:

Work Experience:

Extracurricular :

Sports(Table Tennis)

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 05:55
Hello! First off, thank you to the people here who are helping others get where they want to be!

I would appreciate it if you could evaluate my profile -

1) Indian, Male, 27.
2) Graduated with an Bachelor's degree in technology from one of the 7 older IITs (GPA 7.2/10)
3) GMAT - 750 (Q49, V42)

Career so far -

Worked as a software engineer at a blue-chip software firm for a year and a half. During my time there, I was introduced to the wonderful field of product design. I realised that programming wasn't what I wanted to do, and that while I was passionate about technology (and still am!), designing software products seemed far more interesting to me. Took a leap of faith and started a design agency, that specialises in Product Design (UX/UI Design for Web and Mobile Products) and Graphic Design. We've grown well over the last three and a half years. I lead a team of 17 people. We've worked on designing interesting products (and other projects) in fields such as e-commerce, travel, fitness, finance, robotics, productivity, and we've even built apps for really young kids (this was a unique challenge). Designed lots of other stuff as well. For example, we are the go-to company for a lot of global messaging apps for designing content (emoticons :D) specific to India. Some of our clients include - Facebook, Microsoft, Blackberry, The People Group (a large Indian Internet conglomerate), Flipkart (India's largest e-commerce company), Airtel (India's largest and the world's third largest telecom company). I've been fortunate to have got the chance to develop a fairly global outlook towards design - we've designed for users in Japan, the USA and several other countries.

Extracurriculars -

During my undergrad, I was the head of the placement committee for my batch, and my team (20) and I worked for a good year and half together, inviting companies for recruitment and organising all recruitment related activities on campus.

Was the head of the organising committee for the entrepreneurship summit at our college.

Was part of the core organising team for our college's technology summit.

I am avid runner (have run a few half marathons), and of late, have been learning Mixed Martial Arts and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Why an MBA and what after that?

Over the last year or so, I have increasingly felt that I want to move out of the services/consulting sector. As a services firm, you have little control over the kind of projects you take up, especially in a market which is very competitive. I've always been in awe of the tech sector and product companies in the USA. A top-tier MBA seems to be my best bet in landing myself a product management role at firms working on interesting technology products. I am keen on being on the East Coast - the hub of all activity for two domains I am particularly interested in - financial technology and blockchain (and it's applications) This is my short term goal. In the long term, (probably in the next 7-8 years), I want to start a product firm of my own. Designing products has taught me the value of understanding who you're building for, and what best serves their needs. If you're building a product for a global audience, you need a very global outlook. This is what I'm primarily looking for out of an MBA - being with, and learning from people from diverse backgrounds, and who probably have very unique, interesting experiences to share. I believe, being with very driven and very ambitious folks might lead to very exciting outcomes. Who knows? Maybe I'll find the future co-founders of my firm. I am also very keen on building on my own business experience, through an MBA's rigorous academic curriculum.

At this point, I do not intend to take up a role in consulting or investment banking, post the MBA (I've had enough meetings - wooing or presenting to clients, for one lifetime :))
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jul 2018, 05:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14    Next  [ 264 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap