GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     09:00 PM PST

     10:00 PM PST

    There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jul 2018
Posts: 16
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 07:02
Hi

I would appreciate your evaluation of my profile
Male, 24
GMAT - 710,
Indian
I am working as a practicing chartered accountant for over 2.5 years
I have started my own Firm and have merged to reach more than one state
Completed all qualification exams of Chartered Accountants (Secured all india 47th rank in CA finals)
Pursuing CFA level 2
Completed Bachelors of Commerce in Accountancy
12th CBSE 92.8%
10th CBSE 87.4 %
Completed Diploma course in system audits
Extra-Curricular - Worked with the office of Member of Parliament of India who is a member of various committees set up by government of India.
Part of Public relation committee of CIRC of ICAI
Held Position of Treasurer of Students committee of CIRC of ICAI

learning Guitar for the last 6 months , learning French.
Languages Know: Hindi, English, Learning French

I have extensive Leadership experience as team lead for engagements, more than two years..I have carried out work from Presenting the reports to the execution of work.I have carried out projects as freelancer for a few companies of US and Singapore

As i am pursuing CFA and gaining more knowledge of finance field like Financial modelling and Valuation i would like to work in investment banking.


Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2018
Posts: 11
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 09:04
Hi guys, I want to apply to some of the deferred programs, and right now I'm going into my junior year. I just want to know what else to do make me more competitive at application time.

Background and nationality:
American-Indian Male, 19 (Will be 21 at application)

Undergrad/Graduate Information:
B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Southern Cal GPA: 3.66 (Will graduate in 2020, but this GPA should remain stable or higher, finished all the hard ones)
M.S. Materials Engineering (Will Graduate in 2021)

GMAT: 720/730 by practice tests

Work experience and leadership:
3 years of research in two different labs, published an academic paper in a journal with the first, then switched to a materials engineering lab which I'll start in the fall
Summer internship with a chemical company in R&D

Additional Information:
College: Executive council member of American Institute of Chemical Engineers at college
Will be a paid tutor beginning in the fall for two years
Fluent in 3 languages - English, French, Telugu


Post MBA goals:
Would like to join a tech company in a product management role which I believe is a skill MBA's provide

Considering applying to HBS 2+2, and Stanford Deferred GSB, and MIT Sloan Deferred
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Schools: HBS '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.7
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Aug 2018, 10:45
1
Hi - It would be great to get some feedback on my chances.
Female, 25
Grades and test scores:
GMAT - 760 (took once)
GPA 3.7 from a little Ivy

Work experience:
Will have 48 months WE, 24 in IB at a top firm (GS/JPM/MS) and 24 in PE at a top firm (KKR/TPG/Carlyle)

Extracurriculars:
In addition to succeeding in two very challenging workplaces, I have done additional course work in impact investing and banking and have continued a college passion by creating peer mentoring and leadership roles for myself at work.

Post MBA Goal:
Impact Investing in PE or, possibly, VC.

Originally posted by MountainTop on 20 Aug 2018, 07:38.
Last edited by MountainTop on 22 Aug 2018, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 367
Location: United States (NY)
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 10:43
1
Hi MountainTop,

Great profile! Quantitatively speaking, you have a strong profile for the likes of Harvard. Now you must showcase your soft skills addressed in the qualitative components of the application. What round(s) are your considering applying to?

Happy to provide a fuller profile evaluation. Click here to coordinate a 30-minute free call.

Good luck!

MountainTop wrote:
Hi - It would be great to get some feedback on my chances.
Female, 25
Grades and test scores:
GMAT - 760 (took once)
GPA 3.7 from a little Ivy

Work experience:
Will have 44 months WE, 24 in IB at a top firm (GS/JPM/MS) and 24 in PE at a top firm (KKR/TPG/Carlyle)

Extracurriculars:
In addition to succeeding in two very challenging workplaces, I have done additional course work in impact investing and banking and have continued a college passion by creating peer mentoring and leadership roles for myself at work.

Post MBA Goal:
Impact Investing in PE or, possibly, VC.

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Schools: HBS '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.7
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 10:53
Hi SiaAdmissions

Thanks for the response. Yes - serious essay pressure occurring as I type this. Round 1, because I have been told that PE quotas are filled before Round 2.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 367
Location: United States (NY)
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 10:58
1
Hi MountainTop,

Thanks for the Kudos!

Yes, PE is competitive and quotas quickly fill up. Remember that you have proven that you can handle the rigor (GMAT, GRE, W/E, etc). Now, Harvard wants to know who you are as a person and a professional, and what drives you. No pressure :-)

Good luck!


MountainTop wrote:
Hi SiaAdmissions

Thanks for the response. Yes - serious essay pressure occurring as I type this. Round 1, because I have been told that PE quotas are filled before Round 2.

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jun 2018
Posts: 22
Location: United States (AZ)
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 16:22
Hello ,

I am 28 year old IT professional working with INFOSYS ( indian IT giant ) for the past 7 years ( 2 year international experience and currently working in USA )

CGPA - 8.5 /10

GMAT score - 760 ( Q49 , V44 , IR 7 )

I have always been placed in the top 1% employees of company . Various activities in ECO CLUB ( environment friendly initiatives ) , core member of the CSR wing and arranged many things from blood donation drives to book and cloth donation drives.
Am working as a team lead and onsite coordinator , major job reponsibilities include client handling , customer satisfaction , escalation management , mentoring team members etc.

I appered for the GMAT as i believe that there are not enough growth opportunities and whatever growth opportunities there are they are too slow.
My main aim for MBA is to get a high paying job ( although will not mention this in the essay ?)

The 5 collges that i chose to send score are

1.ISB
2. Georgia tech ( Scheller)
3. ASU ( carey )
4. FOSTER
5. Mccombs

Most of these colleges rank 20-30 ( USA )

Should i aim higher ? Is there good chance of a profile like mine being accepted in a top 10 program ( as i belong to an over represented group )

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks in advance to all the experts out there !!!!

Tito

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 627
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 01:56
Hello tito411990

Your 'stats' are good. But to assess chances/fit at top 10 requires more than just stats.
Career progression, achievements and impact at work, extracurricular activities all combine to make a complete profile. (You can read more on that here)
Most importantly you also need a career goals narrative that is clear, realistic, organic and fits your profile and of the school. (Reading here might help). Since this info is missing, tough to say.
However, based purely on stats, you have a decent shot at all the schools mentioned below. Needless to say that you will still need to deliver the above in your essays/LOR.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


tito411990 wrote:
Hello ,

I am 28 year old IT professional working with INFOSYS ( indian IT giant ) for the past 7 years ( 2 year international experience and currently working in USA )

CGPA - 8.5 /10

GMAT score - 760 ( Q49 , V44 , IR 7 )

I have always been placed in the top 1% employees of company . Various activities in ECO CLUB ( environment friendly initiatives ) , core member of the CSR wing and arranged many things from blood donation drives to book and cloth donation drives.
Am working as a team lead and onsite coordinator , major job reponsibilities include client handling , customer satisfaction , escalation management , mentoring team members etc.

I appered for the GMAT as i believe that there are not enough growth opportunities and whatever growth opportunities there are they are too slow.
My main aim for MBA is to get a high paying job ( although will not mention this in the essay ?)

The 5 collges that i chose to send score are

1.ISB
2. Georgia tech ( Scheller)
3. ASU ( carey )
4. FOSTER
5. Mccombs

Most of these colleges rank 20-30 ( USA )

Should i aim higher ? Is there good chance of a profile like mine being accepted in a top 10 program ( as i belong to an over represented group )

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks in advance to all the experts out there !!!!

Tito

Posted from my mobile device

_________________

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Joined: 01 Jun 2006
Posts: 214
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 13:21
Since you're still in undergrad and you're interested in tech product management, have you considered the various associate product management programs offered by Google, Facebook, Uber, etc?

https://www.uberapms.com/
http://fbrpms.com/
https://careers.google.com/jobs#!t=jo&j ... 4168090142

An MBA can be helpful to becoming a PM, but if I had the option to go into product management without paying 2 years of tuition for an MBA / foregone income, I would certainly go down that route.

kutagull wrote:
Hi guys, I want to apply to some of the deferred programs, and right now I'm going into my junior year. I just want to know what else to do make me more competitive at application time.

Background and nationality:
American-Indian Male, 19 (Will be 21 at application)

Undergrad/Graduate Information:
B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Southern Cal GPA: 3.66 (Will graduate in 2020, but this GPA should remain stable or higher, finished all the hard ones)
M.S. Materials Engineering (Will Graduate in 2021)

GMAT: 720/730 by practice tests

Work experience and leadership:
3 years of research in two different labs, published an academic paper in a journal with the first, then switched to a materials engineering lab which I'll start in the fall
Summer internship with a chemical company in R&D

Additional Information:
College: Executive council member of American Institute of Chemical Engineers at college
Will be a paid tutor beginning in the fall for two years
Fluent in 3 languages - English, French, Telugu


Post MBA goals:
Would like to join a tech company in a product management role which I believe is a skill MBA's provide

Considering applying to HBS 2+2, and Stanford Deferred GSB, and MIT Sloan Deferred
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Aug 2018
Posts: 1
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 18:40
Would really appreciate an objective review of my profile. I realize I don't have a strong showing of quantitative experience based on my undergraduate majors and work experience, but am hoping that with a 700+ GMAT score, I can be competitive at some of the top schools.

I'm actively applying to Harvard Business School, Yale SOM, MIT Sloan, UW Foster, Georgetown McDonough, and potentially Wharton. Looking to whittle down my list based on what's possible and potentially add a safety school (or 2). I'm applying in the second round because I still need to take the GMAT. Essays are 95% completed. I'm also receiving recommendations from my direct supervisor (Head of Communications) and either one of my company's co-founders (depending on the school). They both work with me daily, have seen me in action, and attended HBS.

Background and nationality: 27 years old, Caucasian American

Gender: Female

Undergrad Information: Political Science & Communications double major at UC Berkeley; 3.32 GPA; studied for a semester in Prague and received a 3.53 GPA (not calculated as part of total GPA)

GMAT: Planning to take in November. I know I need above a 730 to make up for low GPA

Work experience and leadership: I have about 5.5 years of post-college work experience. Directly out of college, I started working at a major Public Relations firm, working with top technology and consumer brands including Microsoft, GameStop, and Siemens. In three years, I was promoted three times and regularly received company awards as a result of my performance. For the past 2.5 years, I have worked for a unicorn startup in Silicon Valley as part of a two-person team managing global Public Relations. I report directly to the Head of Communications and work directly with the COO and CEO (both co-founders) and now manage a new member of our team. This year, my boss and I were awarded the most prestigious Public Relations award for "Best In-House Team". Outside of work, I am on the board of a local women's voting group and serve as a public affairs delegate for a statewide women's organization, working directly with state legislators in support of legislation that helps women and children.

Community and others: I spend a lot of time giving back to the community, both within and outside of the women's organizations in which I'm a participant. As part of a program to help students from underprivileged areas in San Francisco, I tutor a 7th grade student in all subject areas. I've been working with her weekly for two years and previously worked with another student for two years, ultimately helping her get into her top choice high school.

Post MBA goals: Post-MBA, I'd like to assume a management role at a startup, ideally in operations. In my current role, I work with all members of our management and executive teams and have seen first-hand what goes into operations and management. I'd like to learn more of those skills while getting my MBA and apply them directly to a role at a rapidly growing company. Long-term, I'd like to start my own company, likely in the consumer space.

Personal brand: I'm a driven and focused female manager at a unicorn startup and am looking to grow my management skills via an MBA.

Personal narrative: I've been integral in the success of my company, raising brand awareness significantly and helping to mitigate risks via crisis communications efforts. My peers would describe me as very calm under pressure and I'm known at my company for being someone who can always get the job done efficiently and effectively. I'm a storyteller by day and an active participant in women's groups by night, working hard to ensure that women leaders are represented in business, the community, and in politics. I'm eager to pursue an MBA in order to build the management and operations skills that I have not yet mastered, with the ultimate goal of one day starting my own company.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Sep 2017
Posts: 2
CAT Tests
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 03:04
1
A brutal review of my profile for HBS/ LBS/ INSEAD/ Wharton/ MIT Sloan/ ISB would be much appreciated.

Indian Engineer Male

Age: 26

College CGPA - 7.54/10

GMAT Score - 760 (Q 50, V 42, IR 5, AWA 5)
Scored 670 in the 1st attempt but cancelled the score

Work Ex - 5 years

Professional Profile - Working for the past 5 years in India's largest oil & gas company. I have worked primarily in the Planning department of the organisation. i was engaged in both medium-term and long-term planning. I started as a regular business analyst and have risen to a position where I was the responsible Officer to deliver a 15-year business plan for my organisation. My portfolio has recently shifted to the Natural gas business, especially in terms of sourcing Liquefied Natural Gas under both Short term (< 5 years) and Long term (up to 20 years) contracts. The work also includes managing existing contracts, liaising with international suppliers, and evaluating overseas infrastructure investment opportunities for backward integration in the natural gas business.

Key Professional Achievements - Instrumental in getting investment approval for a $600 million infrastructure project. Prepared the long-term business plan for a Fortune 500 organisation. Currently finalising the modalities of a 15-20 year contract worth $2.5-3 billion.

Extra Curricular - Volunteer Teacher at The Magic Room, an after school classroom started by fellows of Teach for India. I teach under privileged kids currently studying in Classes 3 and 4.

Post-MBA Goals
Short-term: Enter the Consulting business. I possess good networking skills and a strong will to learn, key attributes in such a career.
Long-term: Return back to India and work towards enhancing modern energy access for every Indian.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 6
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 11:50
1
Profile:
Nationality: USA
Ethnicity: African American Male
Age: 24
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Conversational), Portuguese (Beginner)
Education: Bachelors in Business Administration, GPA 3.48 2016
Awards: Academic Excellence Award (Given to 1 student each major across university, I received it for accounting major)
GMAT : 710

Work Experience:
- 2 yrs @ Deloitte in their technology consulting practice. Leadership roles on projects, and proposals. 1 promotion analyst to consultant. I've been a mentor for 5+ new staff and led some office volunteering events, and started a pro bono consulting project
- 2 months @ Walmart Labs/Ecommerce as a product manager. Plan on applying at 1.5 yr mark.
- Internships - Goldman Sachs in middle office finance position

Extra- Curricular:
Undergrad - 2 yrs Non-Profit Consulting Club (1yr as a lead, 1 yr on the board), VP of Honors Business Society in inaugural yr, 1.5 yrs research assistant for org. behavior professor, 2 yrs D1 athlete (Walk-on, gained scholarship)
Postgrad - Local office leadership at work & started local non-profit consulting project in office and served as project manager.

Post-MBA goals:
Entrepreneurship, High Tech, VC, Impact focused consulting (ex. IDEO, Bridgespan, Bill & Melinda Gates)

Other Schools: Stanford, MIT

Thinking about using MLT to help with application process. Not currently doing much extracurricular mostly focusing on self growth ex. Muy Thai, Travel, Music, Practicing languages etc. Will this hurt me? I was hoping the 2 yrs undergrad and 2 yrs post grad and goals would be enough for impact/extra stuff.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: Winter is coming
Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 262
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 12:03
Love your profile. The only thing I'd is to, maybe, wait 2 more years before you apply. Your WE is a bit on the lower side.
And in the meanwhile, you may be able to work on the extracurriculars - maybe continue with the non-profit consulting. That would be a great add to your profile.
Anyway, Good Luck! You have so many things going for you, I hope you get in!
slicksoldier wrote:
Profile:
Nationality: USA
Ethnicity: African American Male
Age: 24
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Conversational), Portuguese (Beginner)
Education: Bachelors in Business Administration, GPA 3.48 2016
Awards: Academic Excellence Award (Given to 1 student each major across university, I received it for accounting major)
GMAT : 710

Work Experience:
- 2 yrs @ Deloitte in their technology consulting practice. Leadership roles on projects, and proposals. 1 promotion analyst to consultant. I've been a mentor for 5+ new staff and led some office volunteering events, and started a pro bono consulting project
- 2 months @ Walmart Labs/Ecommerce as a product manager. Plan on applying at 1.5 yr mark.
- Internships - Goldman Sachs in middle office finance position

Extra- Curricular:
Undergrad - 2 yrs Non-Profit Consulting Club (1yr as a lead, 1 yr on the board), VP of Honors Business Society in inaugural yr, 1.5 yrs research assistant for org. behavior professor, 2 yrs D1 athlete (Walk-on, gained scholarship)
Postgrad - Local office leadership at work & started local non-profit consulting project in office and served as project manager.

Post-MBA goals:
Entrepreneurship, High Tech, VC, Impact focused consulting (ex. IDEO, Bridgespan, Bill & Melinda Gates)

Other Schools: Stanford, MIT

Thinking about using MLT to help with application process. Not currently doing much extracurricular mostly focusing on self growth ex. Muy Thai, Travel, Music, Practicing languages etc. Will this hurt me? I was hoping the 2 yrs undergrad and 2 yrs post grad and goals would be enough for impact/extra stuff.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 367
Location: United States (NY)
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 15:33
Hi venus77,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I think you have an excellent profile. Indeed, you have a lower than average GPA, which can be countered with a higher than average GMAT. As to your profile, it is imperative that you are introspective in your essays. I'm not sure I get your personal story in your descriptions below - what drives you personally to do what you do?
I hope this helps.

If you would like to continue the conversation live (by phone), feel free to reach out for a free 30-minute consultation. Click here to coordinate.

Good luck!

venus77 wrote:
Would really appreciate an objective review of my profile. I realize I don't have a strong showing of quantitative experience based on my undergraduate majors and work experience, but am hoping that with a 700+ GMAT score, I can be competitive at some of the top schools.

I'm actively applying to Harvard Business School, Yale SOM, MIT Sloan, UW Foster, Georgetown McDonough, and potentially Wharton. Looking to whittle down my list based on what's possible and potentially add a safety school (or 2). I'm applying in the second round because I still need to take the GMAT. Essays are 95% completed. I'm also receiving recommendations from my direct supervisor (Head of Communications) and either one of my company's co-founders (depending on the school). They both work with me daily, have seen me in action, and attended HBS.

Background and nationality: 27 years old, Caucasian American

Gender: Female

Undergrad Information: Political Science & Communications double major at UC Berkeley; 3.32 GPA; studied for a semester in Prague and received a 3.53 GPA (not calculated as part of total GPA)

GMAT: Planning to take in November. I know I need above a 730 to make up for low GPA

Work experience and leadership: I have about 5.5 years of post-college work experience. Directly out of college, I started working at a major Public Relations firm, working with top technology and consumer brands including Microsoft, GameStop, and Siemens. In three years, I was promoted three times and regularly received company awards as a result of my performance. For the past 2.5 years, I have worked for a unicorn startup in Silicon Valley as part of a two-person team managing global Public Relations. I report directly to the Head of Communications and work directly with the COO and CEO (both co-founders) and now manage a new member of our team. This year, my boss and I were awarded the most prestigious Public Relations award for "Best In-House Team". Outside of work, I am on the board of a local women's voting group and serve as a public affairs delegate for a statewide women's organization, working directly with state legislators in support of legislation that helps women and children.

Community and others: I spend a lot of time giving back to the community, both within and outside of the women's organizations in which I'm a participant. As part of a program to help students from underprivileged areas in San Francisco, I tutor a 7th grade student in all subject areas. I've been working with her weekly for two years and previously worked with another student for two years, ultimately helping her get into her top choice high school.

Post MBA goals: Post-MBA, I'd like to assume a management role at a startup, ideally in operations. In my current role, I work with all members of our management and executive teams and have seen first-hand what goes into operations and management. I'd like to learn more of those skills while getting my MBA and apply them directly to a role at a rapidly growing company. Long-term, I'd like to start my own company, likely in the consumer space.

Personal brand: I'm a driven and focused female manager at a unicorn startup and am looking to grow my management skills via an MBA.

Personal narrative: I've been integral in the success of my company, raising brand awareness significantly and helping to mitigate risks via crisis communications efforts. My peers would describe me as very calm under pressure and I'm known at my company for being someone who can always get the job done efficiently and effectively. I'm a storyteller by day and an active participant in women's groups by night, working hard to ensure that women leaders are represented in business, the community, and in politics. I'm eager to pursue an MBA in order to build the management and operations skills that I have not yet mastered, with the ultimate goal of one day starting my own company.

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 00:38
Hello All,
I was hoping to hear some opinions about my situation. I just took the GRE yesterday and did not do well on the Quant; 149. I knew going in, the quant was going to be a weakness but I do not believe that I am bad at math. However, during the study process, I realized my overreliance on rote memory of formulas and computational math skills. Unfortunately, this was the foundation of the math skills I built in high school (ca. 2005), which was the last time I actually studied math. I studied for about 2 months primarily with Magoosh, some Manhattan Prep, and ETS Powerprep mock tests. I didn't even study for Verbal, just spent all that time "re-learning" the math basics and GRE test format.

My dilemma is what steps I should take next since I had originally planned to submit in Round 1 if my scores were good. Of course, I am not happy with my quant score but I had received some interesting advice before. I was told to still submit as long as I was near the profile range. The low-end of the GRE quant range last year was 151, so I am only two points away. My gut tells me to re-take but I understand the odd advice I received, it might have been because of my background. Supposedly my background could differentiate me from other candidates so maybe offset my less than average test-taking abilities?

Background:
- Black American male
- 31 years old
- The theme of my essay is global perspective and my experience traveling the world (especially as a black man)

Work:
- 8 years enlisted (so was not an officer) in the US Military as an intelligence analyst and electronic warfare operator
- Led small special operations and tactical intelligence teams
- Promoted ahead of my peers
- 1 year as a contractor for an unmanned aerial surveillance detachment in Afghanistan
- 3 combat deployments to Iraq. 1 combat deployment to Afghanistan

Academic:
- Completed my undergrad in The Netherlands
- GPA 7.027 on the 10 scale
- GRE: 159V, 149Q
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jun 2016
Posts: 3
Schools: McCombs '18
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 21:44
Just curious what y'all think about my odds for applying for the 2+2 program. Currently I am graduating from arguably the top Petroleum Engineering program in December with a 3.9 GPA (Texas public university). I have had internships at a small boutique investment bank as well as one of the major oil and gas companies and have a full time job offer doing Reservoir Engineering. I have community service on my resume and ran a charity even during my time at university.

I have taken the GMAT before and got a 680 which was much lower than my GMAT practice test scores which were typically around 700-720. I am going to retake it hope to score around a 730-750 after studying for a few months.

Do y'all think I have a good chance?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Location: Netherlands
Schools: HBS 2+2 '24
GRE 1: Q154 V156
GPA: 3.88
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 00:49
Hello, I would be grateful if someone could give me an opinion on my 2+2 application below.

School: HBS, (I do not feel Stanford, should I try tho?)

- 23 years old, African male
- 720 GMAT - expected (from mock test results)
- 3.7 GPA ( hoping to get a 4.0 for major GPA) - from low-tier school in Europe - delayed graduation due to depression - thoroughly explained in the essay and supported by recommenders
- Got admitted to study a Masters degree in Public policy from a top 20 school in Europe; n.1 in the country
- Current ECs include:
Mentor for youths that are depressed or rejected at an association, using my experience gave talks & advice about failure & depression and how to overcome it,
Member of the LGBT community where I give talks about mental and sexual health,
Charity fundraiser for an association in an African country

- Started 2 startups during my first year at uni, one I sold to a family friend and the other failed;
- interned in finance, in investment management
- working now on another startup before starting my masters next semester

- pre-mba goals: working in development banking and consulting & entrepreneurship
- Post MBA short-term goals: entrepreneurship in healthcare/pharmaceuticals sector in Africa
- Post MBA long-term goals: Building startup incubators in Africa
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 367
Location: United States (NY)
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 11:47
1
Hi jimmybananas,

Thank you for sharing such a great profile. I think you can add a great perspective to Harvard's cohort. I do recommend work hard on getting a 730 + GMAT score especially since your undergraduate degree is not from a top-tier program (they cannot see your performance in the Master's program if you haven't taken any classes yet (feel free to correct me if I misunderstood your notes)). How is your public policy master's degree related to your post-MBA goals? You will need to make the connection between your undergraduate and graduate degrees as well as your career aspirations. Be sure to be introspective in the admissions material, especially essays, as they will be the differentiating factors.

Happy to continue the conversation with a free 30-minute consultation. If interested, click here to coordinate.

Good luck!

jimmybananas wrote:
Hello, I would be grateful if someone could give me an opinion on my 2+2 application below.

School: HBS, (I do not feel Stanford, should I try tho?)

- 23 years old, African male
- 720 GMAT - expected (from mock test results)
- 3.7 GPA ( hoping to get a 4.0 for major GPA) - from low-tier school in Europe - delayed graduation due to depression - thoroughly explained in the essay and supported by recommenders
- Got admitted to study a Masters degree in Public policy from a top 20 school in Europe; n.1 in the country
- Current ECs include:
Mentor for youths that are depressed or rejected at an association, using my experience gave talks & advice about failure & depression and how to overcome it,
Member of the LGBT community where I give talks about mental and sexual health,
Charity fundraiser for an association in an African country

- Started 2 startups during my first year at uni, one I sold to a family friend and the other failed;
- interned in finance, in investment management
- working now on another startup before starting my masters next semester

- pre-mba goals: working in development banking and consulting & entrepreneurship
- Post MBA short-term goals: entrepreneurship in healthcare/pharmaceuticals sector in Africa
- Post MBA long-term goals: Building startup incubators in Africa

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Sep 2018
Posts: 35
Location: United States (KS)
GRE 1: Q167 V164
GPA: 3.78
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 12:17
Background and nationality:
American Caucasian
Undergrad Information:
Double major in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mathematics with two minors in Nuclear and Aerospace Engineering 3.78/4 GPA at a public school in VA
GMAT: 164/167 on GRE
Work experience and leadership:
48 months in the army starting as a Platoon leader all the way to the BN S4 (Logistics Officer). I have led teams from 43 to 3 personnel in high intensity environments. I led redeployment from the Baltics and was in charge of coordinating and executing million dollar contract. Creating lasting impact through the establishment of procedures for moving equipment throughout the Baltics for follow on units.
Community and others : Vice president of Marathon club at College. Volunteered with children whose parents were deployed and ate breakfast with them.
Post MBA goals: Manage a team that creates effeciences and improves the overall supply chain management of a Company. Staring out at an operational level and eventually I fluencing strategic level decisions.

Anything else? Have international experiences through a deployment this past year. Can speak French and some Arabic.

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: Winter is coming
Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 262
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 12:41
Jack Ryan, is that you? :)
Stephenm0518 wrote:
Background and nationality:
American Caucasian
Undergrad Information:
Double major in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mathematics with two minors in Nuclear and Aerospace Engineering 3.78/4 GPA at a public school in VA
GMAT: 164/167 on GRE
Work experience and leadership:
48 months in the army starting as a Platoon leader all the way to the BN S4 (Logistics Officer). I have led teams from 43 to 3 personnel in high intensity environments. I led redeployment from the Baltics and was in charge of coordinating and executing million dollar contract. Creating lasting impact through the establishment of procedures for moving equipment throughout the Baltics for follow on units.
Community and others : Vice president of Marathon club at College. Volunteered with children whose parents were deployed and ate breakfast with them.
Post MBA goals: Manage a team that creates effeciences and improves the overall supply chain management of a Company. Staring out at an operational level and eventually I fluencing strategic level decisions.

Anything else? Have international experiences through a deployment this past year. Can speak French and some Arabic.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 18 Sep 2018, 12:41

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14    Next  [ 275 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.