GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 01:56
Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile. Shall look forward to objective advice in terms of starting the application

Background and nationality: Indian , Gender: F

Undergrad Information : B-Tech from West Bengal University of Technology (9.02/10) Electronics & Communication

Graduation and Masters: MBA from Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (3.7/4.33) Top 5 in Batch

GMAT: 720

Work experience and leadership : Tata Group Leadership Program ( TAS) with experience in functional areas of sales & marketing, strategy across industries like FMCG, lifestyle retail and education. Previous to my MBA have worked in IT consulting for 1.5 years. Total Work Experience (4 years)
Professional achievement: Set up the customer experience program for the largest lifestyle retailing company in India, driving growth in repeat business by 25% and leading the organization to win multiple National and International accolades for leading the curve in service design and customer experience ( Mostly notable being listed as a global case study in KPMG's customer experience thought paper, being recognized by industry bodies like NASSCOM and being a finalist at International Cx Awards 2018 )

Community and others : 3 months of immersive work in tribal education based out of a remote village in India
Trained in Indian classical music and have won multiple debates at intra and inter college competitions

Post MBA goals: General Management/ Consulting

Anything else?
I am working in a very niche domain of customer experience and service design in a highly acclaimed leadership program in India, the Tata Administrative Services, As part of Tata Group Leadership Program participant I have had cross-functional experience in Sales, Marketing and Strategy functions in FMCG, Retail and developmental sectors. Previous to this, I have earned a masters degree in Business Management from IIM Kozhikode, one of the most premier institutions in India.

My motivation for a second MBA is a global exposure and more importantly the experience of attending Harvard University.

I have had a fairly meritorious academic record, moderate exposure to diverse extra-curricular activities like Indian Classical music, debates, news article writing, swimming and a continuous track record of shouldering leadership responsibilities at school, college and at work along with a decent exposure to social development project having spent 3 months in a remote village in Jharkhand district of India in setting up Tata Trusts foray into tribal education in the area.

At the personal front I had lost my dad as a child of 10 years and the emotional, financial and social trauma of trying to make ends meet with my brave but severely ailing mother, has made me stronger as a person.

I am broadly aware about the stellar profiles which compete for a seat in HBS and am really eager to polish my application to be able to make the cut.
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 08:55
Hi Jukta89,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I like what I read, and would love to learn more about your history. From what I see, I would urge you to consider retaking the GMAT if you think you can increase your overall score by 10-20 points. Aside from that, I strongly recommend you build a strategy to telling your story to the HBS adcom. Telling your story (personal history, work experience, community engagement, motivations) in a genuine way is pivotal. You must also convey why a second MBA makes sense and why you require it to progress in your chosen field. I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Jukta89 wrote:
Thanks in advance for reviewing my profile. Shall look forward to objective advice in terms of starting the application

Background and nationality: Indian , Gender: F

Undergrad Information : B-Tech from West Bengal University of Technology (9.02/10) Electronics & Communication

Graduation and Masters: MBA from Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (3.7/4.33) Top 5 in Batch

GMAT: 720

Work experience and leadership : Tata Group Leadership Program ( TAS) with experience in functional areas of sales & marketing, strategy across industries like FMCG, lifestyle retail and education. Previous to my MBA have worked in IT consulting for 1.5 years. Total Work Experience (4 years)
Professional achievement: Set up the customer experience program for the largest lifestyle retailing company in India, driving growth in repeat business by 25% and leading the organization to win multiple National and International accolades for leading the curve in service design and customer experience ( Mostly notable being listed as a global case study in KPMG's customer experience thought paper, being recognized by industry bodies like NASSCOM and being a finalist at International Cx Awards 2018 )

Community and others : 3 months of immersive work in tribal education based out of a remote village in India
Trained in Indian classical music and have won multiple debates at intra and inter college competitions

Post MBA goals: General Management/ Consulting

Anything else?
I am working in a very niche domain of customer experience and service design in a highly acclaimed leadership program in India, the Tata Administrative Services, As part of Tata Group Leadership Program participant I have had cross-functional experience in Sales, Marketing and Strategy functions in FMCG, Retail and developmental sectors. Previous to this, I have earned a masters degree in Business Management from IIM Kozhikode, one of the most premier institutions in India.

My motivation for a second MBA is a global exposure and more importantly the experience of attending Harvard University.

I have had a fairly meritorious academic record, moderate exposure to diverse extra-curricular activities like Indian Classical music, debates, news article writing, swimming and a continuous track record of shouldering leadership responsibilities at school, college and at work along with a decent exposure to social development project having spent 3 months in a remote village in Jharkhand district of India in setting up Tata Trusts foray into tribal education in the area.

At the personal front I had lost my dad as a child of 10 years and the emotional, financial and social trauma of trying to make ends meet with my brave but severely ailing mother, has made me stronger as a person.

I am broadly aware about the stellar profiles which compete for a seat in HBS and am really eager to polish my application to be able to make the cut.

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 11:31
Hello,

I am a Male chemical engineer of indian origin (UK national) looking to see if you guys can guide me with my odds at Harvard/Stanford/Sloan. I have lived in around 7 countries including all countries within UK.

GMAT - 730 (can retake to get 750+ if needed as I only did 4 week of prep).

Undergraduate - Top 20 world (Russel Group in UK) - Bachelors of Chemical Engineering - First Class (Think its 4 in GPA).

Postgraduate - Top 100 world Red Brick Russel Group in UK/top 3-5 for Chem Eng in UK - MSc Chemical Engineering - Merit (missed out distinction by 1%) - not sure what the GPA is.

Work Experience - 3 years at Tata Steel across UK/Netherlands/France. Worked as engineer and strategy consultant with promotion in year 2 to engineering manager position that usually takes normal graduates atleast 10 years of experience.

I know TATA has close links with HBS due to a donation by Ratan Tata - Harvard AMP and Tata Steel alumni.

I have heard that international GPAs matter less due to only USA GPAs affecting the rankings and that steel industry is a unique one in business school. I know being indian engineer is not ideal but looking to see what you guys think and was wondering if my engineering background and GMAT will offset my merit in postgraduate :)
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 14:43
Hi multirealman,

Thank you for your post. Overall you have a great profile. As you pointed out, you fall under the "Indian Engineer" applicant pool. Because of that, I recommend you retake the GMAT and try and score higher. As I mentioned in my previous post, H/S/M look for more than just high quantitative score; they look to admit those who are well rounded (qualitative perspective). I recommend you address your values, your motivators, and your aspirations in your essays to each school. Of course, you will also need to state why is it that you require an MBA and why from each school (obviously extensive research is necessary to address the latter component). I hope this helps.

Good luck!

multirealman wrote:
Hello,

I am a Male chemical engineer of indian origin (UK national) looking to see if you guys can guide me with my odds at Harvard/Stanford/Sloan. I have lived in around 7 countries including all countries within UK.

GMAT - 730 (can retake to get 750+ if needed as I only did 4 week of prep).

Undergraduate - Top 20 world (Russel Group in UK) - Bachelors of Chemical Engineering - First Class (Think its 4 in GPA).

Postgraduate - Top 100 world Red Brick Russel Group in UK/top 3-5 for Chem Eng in UK - MSc Chemical Engineering - Merit (missed out distinction by 1%) - not sure what the GPA is.

Work Experience - 3 years at Tata Steel across UK/Netherlands/France. Worked as engineer and strategy consultant with promotion in year 2 to engineering manager position that usually takes normal graduates atleast 10 years of experience.

I know TATA has close links with HBS due to a donation by Ratan Tata - Harvard AMP and Tata Steel alumni.

I have heard that international GPAs matter less due to only USA GPAs affecting the rankings and that steel industry is a unique one in business school. I know being indian engineer is not ideal but looking to see what you guys think and was wondering if my engineering background and GMAT will offset my merit in postgraduate :)

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 22:15
Did fairly poor in undergrad. While in college, was a caretaker to an ailing single parent battling cancer who unfortunately did end up passing away. The death of my parent really did impact me emotionally and physically and as a result my grades suffered.

Nationality
African American (Black)

Academic
B.A. in Humanities Top 25 Liberal Arts College
Cumulative GPA - 2.7

GMAT

Work Experience
Summer Marketing Intern at well-known consumer media company (think Disney, HBO, Spotify)
Associate Product Manager at high-growth, stealth start-up (think ZocDoc, Lyft, Airbnb) for 1.5 years
Associate Product Marketing Manager at top consumer tech company (think Google or Facebook) for 2.0 years (at time of matriculation)

Extracurriculars
Very involved in diversity and inclusion initiatives across all experiences. Leadership roles also abundant.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE: Other (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 09:59
Hi there ,
Request you to help evaluate my profile for Harvard intake .

- Nationality : indian.

Work Experience : 11 years.

Industry : Retail.

Bach. Degree : from National Institute of Fashion Technology , India.
GPA : 3.35.

GMAT : Yet to take the exam , targeting Oct '18 end.

Professional Experience :
1. Job 1 ( 18 Months ) : started with India's then biggest retailer as management trainee mainly into product and vendor management for Women's western wear. Key takeaways were Industry experience and vendor management .

2. Job 2 ( 17 months ) : Started Working with a global Sportswear brand as Asst. Product Buyer , got introduced to dynamics of an international brand environment , used my previous learning to improve Product and processes for the brand.

3.Job 3 ( 36 Months ) : Started working as Manager - Merchandising for a Global Fashion retailer, which had just entered the Indian market space then , spearheading the merchandising and product department . With previous exposure of International brand dynamics , was able to set a up the merchandising dept from scratch to multiple retail stores in India.

4. Job 4 ( 60 Months ) : Joined the current biggest retailer in India started working with yet another international and Global sportswear brand. Currently heading their Merchandising/ product / sales Departments . Have seen through the brand journey from 2 points of sale to 60 points of sale and big ECOM portfolio considering the current ECOM boom in India. The job gave the much required International exposure considering multiple trips to Brand headquarters based in France and working with the French Brand team for almost 5 years now.

Extra Curricular :
Have won multiple awards in School time for various GK Quiz.
Have also been involved in various activities like choreographing a complete Fashion show during college festivals.
Unfortunately , No Volunteer work as of now.

PLs let me know .

Thanks

Kudos if you agree , Comment if you don't !!!

S

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 13:47
Hi FusciaCricket,

Thank you for your post and I am sorry about your parent's passing.

I would like to learn more about professional background and career aspirations to adequately review your profile. As you pointed out, your undergraduate GPA is low. I do recommend you talk about that experience either in your personal statement or as an addendum to the application.

Good luck!

FusciaCricket wrote:
Did fairly poor in undergrad. While in college, was a caretaker to an ailing single parent battling cancer who unfortunately did end up passing away. The death of my parent really did impact me emotionally and physically and as a result my grades suffered.

Nationality
African American (Black)

Academic
B.A. in Humanities Top 25 Liberal Arts College
Cumulative GPA - 2.7

GMAT

Work Experience
Summer Marketing Intern at well-known consumer media company (think Disney, HBO, Spotify)
Associate Product Manager at high-growth, stealth start-up (think ZocDoc, Lyft, Airbnb) for 1.5 years
Associate Product Marketing Manager at top consumer tech company (think Google or Facebook) for 2.0 years (at time of matriculation)

Extracurriculars
Very involved in diversity and inclusion initiatives across all experiences. Leadership roles also abundant.

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 14:24
I am applying to harvard in the next few months (R2). please let me know what you guys think!

Background and nationality: Singaporean Male, age 29 (will be 30 when I join the MBA)
Undergrad Information: Singapore Management University (majored in Quantitative Finance, GPA 3.0, my class only had 30 people out of the 2k+ that were in my school, so the average GPA was between 2.9-3.1)

GMAT: 650

Work experience and leadership (total 4 years now, will be 5 by the time i join):
1) worked as an algo-trader at a tier 1 investment bank in singapore
2) currently working at a mexican startup (in mexico), where i'm head of all securitizations and strategic planning. have raised USD 90 mm so far for the company (making us the most well funded startup in mexico). led one of the first asset purchase programs in Latin American history between an international bank and a start up. work constantly with top tier VCs for funding + day to day operations. only finance person in the company that programs

Community and others:
- spent 2 years in the singapore army (was a 1st lieutenant in the army). ran local and overseas missions, had a platoon of 50 men under me.
- am a semi-professional standup comedian. have performed in 3 different countries. have opened for several top comedians in mexico. one of the few to do standup in both spanish and english

Post MBA goals
- want to shift to consulting/IBD. relates closely with my current job of solving problems/helping w funding. with the MBA, I'd want to scale these responsibilities.

Anything else?
I'm trilingual. English, Hindi and Spanish all at professional working capacity/native fluency
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 09:22
Hi, Can someone please analyse my profile for Harvard. Im not too familiar with US schools' requirements and would like to know if I stand a chance on applying.
Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality: Pakistani Female, 29, grew up in the UK and KSA
Undergrad Information: Medical Doctor, from leading national university.
GMAT: 680 (Q42, V40, IR 8)
Work experience and leadership:
2 years in clinical training (fellowship) Pakistan
1 year in clinical training Saudia Arabia
1 year as a hospital administrator/ general manager of 20 bedded semi-urban hospital
2 years at Swiss MNC (working here currently), launched the first nationwide tele-medicine network in
Pakistan.
Manage a team of 12 doctors. The network provides medical services to over a million patients,
Went to Indonesia and Cambodia to launch markets there.

Have done an executive education course (Healthcare and Innovation) at INSEAD
I'm an Acumen Regional Fellow for Pakistan. Acumen is a leading impact investment fund.
I was previously a World Bank Fellow (a program focused on developing women in business)

Community and others:
Im founding member of an NGO that provides vocational training to illiterate low income women so they can become micro-entrepreneurs. We have trained over 200 women in remote areas.

Post MBA goals: Consulting for some time. Then industry job that merges insurance and healthcare
Anything else?
Speak 3 languages. Been living in about 5 countries.
GMAT Club Bot
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 17 Oct 2018, 09:22

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   [ 269 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap