GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2019, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 17:26
Hello, here are my stats:

Male, 29 years, from LATAM

Undergrad GPA: 3.79 Industrial Engineering, with Honors in prestigious university in Mexico.
Grad GPA: 4.0 MSc Engineering Management, at SMU, Dallas.
GMAT: 690 (49Q, 35V, 8IR)
TOEFL iBT: 116
WE: Over 5 years in the construction sector in a family-owned company with 500+ employees. 2 promotions since I started working.
Extracurricular Activities Strongly involved with community activities, ranging from my city's tourism council to advisor to a local university specialized in the construction sector. Extracurricular studies, including HBS Online CORe graduated with Honors. Awards include a knowledge award from the Mexican Society of Industrial Engineers.
Goals: Return to the family business, as it is an important employer in its region, one of the most hardly affected by poverty and drug cartels.

Do I have any chances at round 1 or should I really strenghten my GMAT and try round 2?

Many thanks in advance!
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 08:21
Hi goteiza,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I really like your profile and think you have a great chance at an admit, provided you submit a strong application. While it's always safer to retake the GMAT, you have definitely shown academic strength and recommend focusing your time on the application. If you haven't started your application yet, it's difficult to submit stellar materials in support of your candidacy in 11 days (deadline), however.

Please feel free to reach out if we can be of further assistance.

Good luck!

Susan

goteiza wrote:

Undergrad GPA: 3.79 Industrial Engineering, with Honors in prestigious university in Mexico.
WE: Over 5 years in the construction sector in a family-owned company with 500+ employees. 2 promotions since I started working.
Extracurricular Activities Strongly involved with community activities, ranging from my city's tourism council to advisor to a local university specialized in the construction sector. Extracurricular studies, including HBS Online CORe graduated with Honors. Awards include a knowledge award from the Mexican Society of Industrial Engineers.
Goals: Return to the family business, as it is an important employer in its region, one of the most hardly affected by poverty and drug cartels.

Do I have any chances at round 1 or should I really strenghten my GMAT and try round 2?

Many thanks in advance!

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 17:27
goteiza wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

You certainly have a chance R1. You have excellent grades, good work experience, international exposure, leadership, and clear goals. Normally I would say raise your GMAT and apply R2 to give yourself the best chance of acceptance, but you are strong enough in other areas where I am wavering.

I think I will come down on the side of advising you to apply R2 and improving your GMAT score. That will also mean you will not have a rushed application since the deadline is so soon. I am assuming that you are reasonably confident you can raise your GMAT.

Final thought. given that you already have a masters in construction management, be prepared to address in an interview why you still need an MBA. (Hint: brand alone can't be the reason.)

You may be interested in the recording of our recent Get Accepted to Harvard Business School webinar.

If you'd like help with your MBA application, please let me know. We have someone on staff who has specializes in LATAM application to top MBA programs, including HBS.

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 08:41
Dear Linda,

Is there any upper age limit ( 45+)for H/S/W and other M7, considering rest of the profile is above average?
Regards,
Basim

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 12:38
Background and nationality: 27 male from China

Undergrad Information:
Top Chinese diplomacy university, Major in English Language and Literature, Minor in International Relations
GPA: appox. 90/100 (my alma mater does not offer 4.0 scale GPA but the equivalent varies from 3.7-3.9 according to different metrics). Awarded national scholarships by Ministry of Education of China.

GMAT: 740 (Q51 V38 IR8 AW 5.5)
TOEFL: 115/120, I know most people on this forum don't need TOEFL scores but just put it as a reference

Work experience:
- (undergraduate) internship abroad at a United Nations regional hub, and Ministry of Finance of China, both working on policy analysis
- Joined one of China's policy financial institutions as client coverage officer since graduation, negotiating sovereign loans to local governments along the Belt and Road Initiative countries. Sectors are mainly focused on infrastructure, power, energy and resources.
1.1.5 years working in Beijing covering ASEAN countries
2.then fast-track promoted to regional manager on Asia and CIS (Russian-speaking countries) and worked for 2 years from Beijing, led a team and closed several deals, one of them was a Deal of the Year Award by a prestigious forum
3. relocated to Africa Office covering Eastern and Southern Africa. expected to have 1.5 years of WE upon matriculation. Lead negotiator for several mega sovereign debt restructuring (over 7bln USD) and interpreted for Company executives' meetings with African heads of states and government ministers.

Others: CFA, China CPA candidate, top employee performance award.
Traveled to over 30 countries in Asia, Europe and Africa, mostly in a professional capacity.
Official passport holder (government representative stationed abroad other than diplomats at the Embassy).

Extracurricular:
In college
- President of Debate and Public Speaking Club, won a few national and international awards
After college
- liaison officer of Chinese government poverty alleviation program to an impoverished county (each policy financier like us has been assigned a pair-up county to help reduce poverty with our resources and expertise). Helped source experts and funding for local farmers to grow certain fruits and identified early stage buyers.
- Licensed English teacher within the company, offering regular English language and interpreting/translation training to interested employees as a part of the company's staff training module
-Also speak intermediate French (B1 proficiency under EU standards)

Post MBA goals
Work as an investment officer in infrastructure at one of the nascent China-sponsored multilateral development banks
P
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Sep 2019, 18:06
Basim2016 wrote:
Dear Linda,

Is there any upper age limit ( 45+)for H/S/W and other M7, considering rest of the profile is above average?
Regards,
Basim

There is no official upper age limit at HBS or the M7. CBS admitted someone last year who was 51. However, while there are to my knowledge no stats publicly available on what percentage of 45+ applicants are admitted, my guess would be that it is below the overall acceptance rate. Older applicants, in addition to having the outstanding qualifications that these programs require, must also make clear that they are not depending on the school's career placement center for a job and and that they have excellent reasons for pursuing the degree a this point in time with people 20 years younger than they are when much learning is from peers.

Have you consider Stanford's MSx program or MIT's or LBS' Sloan Fellows programs? these are full-time programs for more experienced mid-career professionals.

You might be interested in the following:

MIT Sloan Fellow, User Experience Expert, and Busy Mom
MIT Sloan EMBA and Sloan Fellows Programs: Move from Success to Significance
The Stanford MSx Program for Experienced Leaders
Too Old for an MBA? Check Out 3 Outstanding MBA and EMBA Alternatives ( a little old, but still valuable.)

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.

Originally posted by Accepted.com on 01 Sep 2019, 12:56.
Last edited by Accepted.com on 06 Sep 2019, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 13:15
davidfeng wrote:

Undergrad Information:
Top Chinese diplomacy university, Major in English Language and Literature, Minor in International Relations
GPA: appox. 90/100 (my alma mater does not offer 4.0 scale GPA but the equivalent varies from 3.7-3.9 according to different metrics). Awarded national scholarships by Ministry of Education of China.

TOEFL: 115/120, I know most people on this forum don't need TOEFL scores but just put it as a reference

Work experience:
- (undergraduate) internship abroad at a United Nations regional hub, and Ministry of Finance of China, both working on policy analysis
- Joined one of China's policy financial institutions as client coverage officer since graduation, negotiating sovereign loans to local governments along the Belt and Road Initiative countries. Sectors are mainly focused on infrastructure, power, energy and resources.
2.then fast-track promoted to regional manager on Asia and CIS (Russian-speaking countries) and worked for 2 years from Beijing, led a team and closed several deals, one of them was a Deal of the Year Award by a prestigious forum
3. relocated to Africa Office covering Eastern and Southern Africa. expected to have 1.5 years of WE upon matriculation. Lead negotiator for several mega sovereign debt restructuring (over 7bln USD) and interpreted for Company executives' meetings with African heads of states and government ministers.

Traveled to over 30 countries in Asia, Europe and Africa, mostly in a professional capacity.
Official passport holder (government representative stationed abroad other than diplomats at the Embassy).

Extracurricular:
In college
- President of Debate and Public Speaking Club, won a few national and international awards
After college
- liaison officer of Chinese government poverty alleviation program to an impoverished county (each policy financier like us has been assigned a pair-up county to help reduce poverty with our resources and expertise). Helped source experts and funding for local farmers to grow certain fruits and identified early stage buyers.
- Licensed English teacher within the company, offering regular English language and interpreting/translation training to interested employees as a part of the company's staff training module

Post MBA goals
Work as an investment officer in infrastructure at one of the nascent China-sponsored multilateral development banks

Hi David,

Impressive.

You have a competitive profile for HBS and other elite programs. If you'd like help with your MBA applications, please let me know.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 21:06
davidfeng wrote:

Undergrad Information:

Work experience:

Extracurricular:
In college
After college

Post MBA goals

davidfeng you have a solid profle. An investment officer as short term goal post-MBA is fine. I would try to have a more ambitious goal especially if you're targeting HBS. I'd highlight your experience involved in tough debt restructuring negotiationsand experience outside your comfort zone in Africa. It is important to connect why you need an MBA to take on investment role at development bank and how HBS will help you achieve that goal. Wish you the best :) :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 22:21
Dear Linda,

Thanks a lot for showing the silver lining.
Will appreciate if you can share Any other story of 45 + HBS admit .

Best Regards,
Basim.

P

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 10:01
Basim2016 wrote:
Dear Linda,

Thanks a lot for showing the silver lining.
Will appreciate if you can share Any other story of 45 + HBS admit .

Best Regards,
Basim.

Hi Basim,

We've had clients admitted in their 30's, but we haven't worked with a 45+ applicant to HBS .

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 10:08
Dear Linda,

Thanks for your prompt and honest reply.
Now question is that do you want to try to add another distinct feather to your cup?
Afterall, Everyday in this dynamic world, some positive unprecedented things are being done.

Best Regards,
Basim

P

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 10:48
Basim2016 wrote:
Dear Linda,

Thanks for your prompt and honest reply.
Now question is that do you want to try to add another distinct feather to your cup?
Afterall, Everyday in this dynamic world, some positive unprecedented things are being done.

Best Regards,
Basim

Sure! Always willing. Please provide the information requested here, and we'll put you in touch with an experienced consultant. You may want to review our services.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Sep 2019, 20:07

Originally posted by JakeTheDog on 02 Sep 2019, 11:02.
Last edited by JakeTheDog on 15 Sep 2019, 20:07, edited 5 times in total.
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 11:08
JakeTheDog wrote:
Hi guys,

I would love to hear your opinion on my profile and how 'competitive' I am.

Here it is:

GMAT score: I will do the exam on September 11 , in 9 days.
Undergrad: Industrial Engineering (I don't know what is my equivalent GPA, but I scored at an average of 80% the answers correctly, and I attended a well known college here in Brazil)
Work experience: I opened a plus size clothing production and online store for men. The company did well. I started all alone, in a city I did not know anyone at first. Total time: almost 4 years
Reasons I closed the company: I realised I was going to be unhappy living (or at least going every month) in a factory in a small city. And it was too much of a physically labor intensive work.
My goal: VC or PE.
Hobby: Triathlon (Training for the Ironman)
Other: I passed the CFA exams

So, can I get some insight on how competitive (if so) I am ? Do I stand a chance trying the top MBAs (Harvard and so on) ?

Thanks and KUDOS for everyone !

Two questions:

1. Do you have any idea what your GMAT score will be? How are you doing on practice exams?
2. Was your 80% above average for you program?

Thanks,

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 16:51
goteiza wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

The most important thing you can do is convince them your family business is a big, serious enterprise and when you go back you are going to end up being a serious player in Mexico’s economy.

HBS uses your employer as a screen. They like selective forms because the candidate has been validated by Goldman Sachs or whoever.

Joining a family business is not selective, so you you need to sell them on this being a big player. Tell them how many employees, revenue, big projects, etc.

Retake the GMAT by all means if you think you can get a 710, but you need to execute the application to make them think you are gonna be a big somebody in Mexico.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2019, 08:50

GMAT score: 730 (q47, v44), IELTS 8.0 (8list, 9reading, 7.5 speaking, 7.0 writing)

Undergrad: Economics, grade 7/10 (great score in Calculus I/II), best university in brazil
Work experience:
+ 4yrs in the largest investment office in Brazil (a single family office from one of the wealthiest families in brazil); in a team of two developed the largest trading desk outside a bank from Brazil that trades hundreds of billions of dollars yearly (no kidding)
+ tried consulting once, 8months, didnt like it
+ started internship in the 2nd year of university (thats why my gpa is ok rather than great) that eventually became a fulltime position even before graduation (which is not common). my boss from internship hired me where i currently work now and is one of recommenders (long term relationships)

My goal:
short-run - run the NYC office of the company that i'm now; make it work properly
long-run - run an entire family office by my own, using my experience + hbs brand/knowledge

Hobby: soccer, amateur boxing fighter

community: run a fifa championship...weak part of my application

Other: CFA lvl II passed, CGA (most important brazilian financial market certificate)

Background: born in a favela/slum, went to public high school that in brazil is terrible, classic story about a poor guy that succeeds somehow

Plus: one recommender is hbs alumni

P

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2019, 10:02
acbobadilha wrote:

GMAT score: 730 (q47, v44), IELTS 8.0 (8list, 9reading, 7.5 speaking, 7.0 writing)

Undergrad: Economics, grade 7/10 (great score in Calculus I/II), best university in brazil
Work experience:
+ 4yrs in the largest investment office in Brazil (a single family office from one of the wealthiest families in brazil); in a team of two developed the largest trading desk outside a bank from Brazil that trades hundreds of billions of dollars yearly (no kidding)
+ tried consulting once, 8months, didnt like it
+ started internship in the 2nd year of university (thats why my gpa is ok rather than great) that eventually became a fulltime position even before graduation (which is not common). my boss from internship hired me where i currently work now and is one of recommenders (long term relationships)

My goal:
short-run - run the NYC office of the company that i'm now; make it work properly
long-run - run an entire family office by my own, using my experience + hbs brand/knowledge

Hobby: soccer, amateur boxing fighter

community: run a fifa championship...weak part of my application

Other: CFA lvl II passed, CGA (most important brazilian financial market certificate)

Background: born in a favela/slum, went to public high school that in brazil is terrible, classic story about a poor guy that succeeds somehow

Plus: one recommender is hbs alumni

You are a competitive applicant at HBS. It sounds like you have an amazing story, in additional to competitive qualifications. If you tell that story well, I'm optimistic about your chances at HBS. You may be interested in:

How to Leverage an HBS Education: The Story of LeverEdge
Ida Valentine: Investment Banker, Inspirational Speaker, HBS 2021
HBS essay tips.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2019, 01:56
Hi guys,

Could you please review my chances of getting into HBS

Here comes my profile:

Origin: East Europe
GMAT score: 690 (Q49, V35, IR8, AWA 5) going to retake in October.
Undergrad: BBA in top university in my country. (GPA 3.54/4) Major in Finance.
Work experience: Big 4 for 2.5 years promotions with excellent reviews (5/5) covered different industries including: energy,
construction, retail and manufacturing. Was assigned as Senior in charge on project, while being
associate.
Biggest industrial holding in energy for 1 year as senior financial analyst.
After that moved to another big company in energy and utilities, as senior analyst. In less than 1 year was
promoted to head of analytical department managing team of 8 employees. Lead processes that had
impact not only on company but also on industry and country investment outlook. Been on this position
for two years.
Short term goal: work for one of the big consultancy firms
Long term goal: go back to my homeland and use my knowledge and experience to support country's development in
private or public sector.
Hobby: Trivia games (participated in two TV shows); Captain of high school trivia team (won country competition among private schools); photography; cinema
(used to be co-president of university cinema club)
Other: Finished high school with honors (silver medal); Got scholarship from government for university.

Other background: born in very small town, which was severely effected during one of the conflicts with neighboring country and my family had to flee our hometown, so I've been a refugee for some period.

It will be very helpful to got any idea, if I am suitable candidate for HBS.

Thank you in advance!
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 21:14
ABELG wrote:
Hi guys,

Could you please review my chances of getting into HBS

Here comes my profile:

Origin: East Europe
GMAT score: 690 (Q49, V35, IR8, AWA 5) going to retake in October.
Undergrad: BBA in top university in my country. (GPA 3.54/4) Major in Finance.
Work experience: Big 4 for 2.5 years promotions with excellent reviews (5/5) covered different industries including: energy,
construction, retail and manufacturing. Was assigned as Senior in charge on project, while being
associate.
Biggest industrial holding in energy for 1 year as senior financial analyst.
After that moved to another big company in energy and utilities, as senior analyst. In less than 1 year was
promoted to head of analytical department managing team of 8 employees. Lead processes that had
impact not only on company but also on industry and country investment outlook. Been on this position
for two years.
Short term goal: work for one of the big consultancy firms
Long term goal: go back to my homeland and use my knowledge and experience to support country's development in
private or public sector.
Hobby: Trivia games (participated in two TV shows); Captain of high school trivia team (won country competition among private schools); photography; cinema
(used to be co-president of university cinema club)
Other: Finished high school with honors (silver medal); Got scholarship from government for university.

Other background: born in very small town, which was severely effected during one of the conflicts with neighboring country and my family had to flee our hometown, so I've been a refugee for some period.

It will be very helpful to got any idea, if I am suitable candidate for HBS.

Thank you in advance!

With a higher GMAT and well written application that reveals your leadership and impact as well as your personal story and aspirations. you have a competitive profile for HBS and programs that will prepare you well for the top consulting firms. In other words, yes, apply to HBS, but don't apply only to HBS.

In your app, don't just talk about your performance reviews or responsibilities; write about what caused you to get those excellent reviews and the difference you made.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 17:47
What's the minimum required GMAT score to be considered ??
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2019, 17:47

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22    Next  [ 430 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4