GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Sep 2019, 10:10
JohnDoe1989 wrote:
What's the minimum required GMAT score to be considered ??

There is no official minimum. The student with the lowest GMAT in this year's entering class had a 590. The median, however, is a 730. Be assured that anyone who gets into HBS with a 590 (or low score period) is stellar in all other ways.

You might be interested in Applying to Bschool with Low Stats: What You Need to Know

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook

Originally posted by Accepted.com on 09 Sep 2019, 18:01.
Last edited by Accepted.com on 13 Sep 2019, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 21:12
You will never get a straight answer on this from admissions. The GMAT required has a lot to do with how underrepresented you are (below the class profile average) vs. overrepresented (above the class profile). https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class-profile/Pages/default.aspx

If there are a ton of people with your profile the GMAT is "bid" upwards. So it's important to work hard to separate yourself, however much of this is out of your control (citizenship.) They are seeking diversity because it relates to the value proposition they are offering.

JohnDoe1989 wrote:

Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2019, 06:24
Hello, am curious as to what my chances of getting into HBS are. Thank you in advance for any and all insight.

1. GMAT: 740 (Q48/44V)
2. Undergrad: mid-tier US private university 3.6 GPA, business major
3. Additional coursework: 1 HBS Online course
4. Experience:
3 years Active Duty US Army (will be 4 when class starts)
-1 deployment to the Middle East
-2 roles leading ~ 20 people each time and responsible for $2M/$15M worth of equipment
-by name selected for a third role to deploy in position above rank
5. 26-year-old white male
6. Additional experience/extracurricular:
Student Class Representative while in college
Army ROTC
7. Post MBA Goal
Work in some kind of startup
Intern
Intern
Schools: Amsterdam MBA
Harvard/Wharton MBA Chances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2019, 17:43
Hi,

Planning to apply for Harvard/Wharton MBA next year sometime. Was wondering if anyone could chance me?

Asian Australian (ethnically japanese, but grew up in Australia)

Undergrad- graduated LSE (UK uni) with first class honours- don't know what the equiv in gpa terms is

Postgrad- graduated oxford masters (pretty average marks tbh)

Work exp- currently work as a trader for a large American bulge bracket investment bank (have been told this is a disadvantage for harvard). Internships at big 4 (consulting) as well as other banks.

Extracurriculars: community service work for disadvantaged youth (once a week kind of thing, doing it for over a year now).

GMAT: achieved 730 (strong quant mostly)
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Harvard/Wharton MBA Chances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2019, 18:22
Can you give us a bit more qualitative information? Does your current job allow for initiative, do you have what HBS calls "a habit of leadership" that you can substantiate inside/outside the classroom/office. Is there a good diversity story here that you could share - where your perspective as a Japanese Aussie might add value to the class? Which citizenship would you be going with? Did you receive negative feedback about the role or the company, just curious. What was your area of concentration at LSE? Any ECs from LSE? Hobbies?

Xyrish wrote:
Hi,

Planning to apply for Harvard/Wharton MBA next year sometime. Was wondering if anyone could chance me?

Asian Australian (ethnically japanese, but grew up in Australia)

Undergrad- graduated LSE (UK uni) with first class honours- don't know what the equiv in gpa terms is

Postgrad- graduated oxford masters (pretty average marks tbh)

Work exp- currently work as a trader for a large American bulge bracket investment bank (have been told this is a disadvantage for harvard). Internships at big 4 (consulting) as well as other banks.

Extracurriculars: community service work for disadvantaged youth (once a week kind of thing, doing it for over a year now).

GMAT: achieved 730 (strong quant mostly)

P

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 12:32
bd428 wrote:
Hello, am curious as to what my chances of getting into HBS are. Thank you in advance for any and all insight.

1. GMAT: 740 (Q48/44V)
2. Undergrad: mid-tier US private university 3.6 GPA, business major
3. Additional coursework: 1 HBS Online course
4. Experience:
3 years Active Duty US Army (will be 4 when class starts)
-1 deployment to the Middle East
-2 roles leading ~ 20 people each time and responsible for $2M/$15M worth of equipment
-by name selected for a third role to deploy in position above rank
5. 26-year-old white male
6. Additional experience/extracurricular:
Student Class Representative while in college
Army ROTC
7. Post MBA Goal
Work in some kind of startup

Hi bd428,

The information you provided above is competitive at HBS with one exception, and I'll get to that in a minute. However, many of the rejected applicants at HBS also have competitive stats. Your military experience and leadership in the military combined with good academics are going to be a big plus for you. The way you present your qualifications are going to determine whether you are accepted or not. Both the essay and the boxes are critical.

A few suggestions:

1. Clarify your goals and your reasons for wanting to go to HBS. "Work in some kind of startup" is very vague,and this is the weakness I mentioned above. Be prepared to answer the following questions: What appeals to you about a start up? What industry is most attractive and why? How have you prepared yourself for this path? What will you take advantage of at HBS to further your goals? You probably won't have to answer all these questions in your app, but you may in your interview.

2. While I do think you have a reasonable shot at HBS, if you clarify your goals, also apply to other programs that support your goals. If you are entrepreneurial and like the case method, consider Darden, but there are lots of other programs that prepare grads to work in start-ups.

A few HBS resources for you.

* HBS Essay Tips
* Get Accepted to Harvard Business School, a recorded webinar
* Sample HBS Essay

And one for people coming from the military: Academic De-Greening, Part 2: Applying to Graduate School After Military Service

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '22 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.96

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 21:29
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
You will never get a straight answer on this from admissions. The GMAT required has a lot to do with how underrepresented you are (below the class profile average) vs. overrepresented (above the class profile). https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/class-profile/Pages/default.aspx

If there are a ton of people with your profile the GMAT is "bid" upwards. So it's important to work hard to separate yourself, however much of this is out of your control (citizenship.) They are seeking diversity because it relates to the value proposition they are offering.

JohnDoe1989 wrote:

What qualifies as low for a white male in PE/VC? 730? 740? 750?
P
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 10:10
HarvardHopeful20 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

JohnDoe1989 wrote:

What qualifies as low for a white male in PE/VC? 730? 740? 750?

730, 740, and 750 are not low for any group.

As a very general, fuzzy guideline 30+ points below a school's average is "low." For HBS, that would be 700. However there are mitigating and exacerbating factors:

1. Grades and grade trend. Grades in the part of the GMAT where you were weak if the score isn't balanced.
2. Reputation for rigor of your undergrad program.
3. The breakdown of your GMAT. Was it balanced or really low in one area and high in the others.
4. Competition from people "like" you who have higher GMAT scores.
5. Competitiveness of your overall profile -- Work experience, leadership, community service, impact .

All that counts, and that's why one shouldn't just look at a GMAT score total and label, like "white male in PE/VC" and say score X is low.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 07:56
Hey everyone, just took my GMAT recently so I’m currently looking at my odds for admission in R1 2020.

White male American, 25 years old

Undergrad GPA: 3.85, graduated summa cum laude with dual degrees: BBA Finance and BA Chinese
Attended a Big 12 state school on the cusp of the top 100 in the rankings, was a National Merit Scholarship recipient

GMAT: 730 (48Q 42V)

Work experience: Just over 3 years in sell-side equity research covering tech (will be over 5 years at matriculation). I was promoted from analyst to associate this year, and now as the second-in-command on a three person team, my boss treats my position as the day to day “project manager” with one analyst working under me

Extracurriculars: Actively involved in our department recruiting team, served as team captain for a number of fundraising drives (United Way, United Performing Arts Fund). Part of my state’s top ranked club rugby team, with the team I’ve participated in quite a few community outreach activities, also helped plan and set up the nation’s largest summer rugby tournament.

Goals: Still working on crafting the best impact statement here, since I realize as a white guy in finance I’ll need something that makes me stand out from the pack. My goal is to remain focused on tech investing. Venture capital would be my dream, also open to public equity investing at a hedge fund/mutual fund, potential backup plan is corp dev at a tech company.

Other: Passed CFA Level 2, hoping to pass Level 3 next June and be a CFA charterholder at the time of application
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 08:08
Hi trillclinton414,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Besides currently being on the lower end of the candidate age spectrum, you have a solid profile and competitive stats. Ineed, the narrative will be an important component in ensuring a successful application cycle. I would love for us to have a conversation offline, and see how we can help you think about the next year as you prepare your profile. If interested in taking advantage of the free consultation, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan

trillclinton414 wrote:
Hey everyone, just took my GMAT recently so I’m currently looking at my odds for admission in R1 2020.

Undergrad GPA: 3.85, graduated summa cum laude with dual degrees: BBA Finance and BA Chinese
Attended a Big 12 state school on the cusp of the top 100 in the rankings, was a National Merit Scholarship recipient

Work experience: Just over 3 years in sell-side equity research covering tech (will be over 5 years at matriculation). I was promoted from analyst to associate this year, and now as the second-in-command on a three person team, my boss treats my position as the day to day “project manager” with one analyst working under me

Extracurriculars: Actively involved in our department recruiting team, served as team captain for a number of fundraising drives (United Way, United Performing Arts Fund). Part of my state’s top ranked club rugby team, with the team I’ve participated in quite a few community outreach activities, also helped plan and set up the nation’s largest summer rugby tournament.

Goals: Still working on crafting the best impact statement here, since I realize as a white guy in finance I’ll need something that makes me stand out from the pack. My goal is to remain focused on tech investing. Venture capital would be my dream, also open to public equity investing at a hedge fund/mutual fund, potential backup plan is corp dev at a tech company.

Other: Passed CFA Level 2, hoping to pass Level 3 next June and be a CFA charterholder at the time of application

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2019, 16:57
trillclinton414 wrote:

You have a competitive profile for HBS. If you are concerned about being "a white guy in finance," please see:

* Different Dimensions of Diversity
* Dimensions of Diversity Checklist

Best,
Linda Abraham

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.36
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 05:29
Don't really think I have much of a chance with my GPA, but curious about how I could possibly fare in R2.

Black Male Canadian, 25

Undergrad GPA: 2.36 at top Canadian school in Economic Development (although all of the low grades were while I was a CS major for most of the time I was in uni)

GMAT: 750 (49Q, 44V)

Work experience: 3 years (4 at matriculation) in ERP Consulting. Worked at a smaller firm for a couple years before taking what was effectively a promotion in title at B4.

Extracurriculars: Actively involved with onboarding and recruitment at B4, president of a major cultural group in university that held events for 100s of attendees regularly, Big Brother, volunteered regularly at asylum seekers home.

Goals: Transition from ERP to strategy consulting with the long term goal of working on projects that align closely with my degree (i.e. international development projects in Africa). Long-term would want to either work at a firm like Dalberg specifically focused on development consulting or be a strategic lead at an organization focused on African development.
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 23:38
Lekoben wrote:
Don't really think I have much of a chance with my GPA, but curious about how I could possibly fare in R2.

Black Male Canadian, 25

Undergrad GPA: 2.36 at top Canadian school in Economic Development (although all of the low grades were while I was a CS major for most of the time I was in uni)

Work experience: 3 years (4 at matriculation) in ERP Consulting. Worked at a smaller firm for a couple years before taking what was effectively a promotion in title at B4.

Extracurriculars: Actively involved with onboarding and recruitment at B4, president of a major cultural group in university that held events for 100s of attendees regularly, Big Brother, volunteered regularly at asylum seekers home.

Goals: Transition from ERP to strategy consulting with the long term goal of working on projects that align closely with my degree (i.e. international development projects in Africa). Long-term would want to either work at a firm like Dalberg specifically focused on development consulting or be a strategic lead at an organization focused on African development.

While that GPA is a serious obstacle, given that you are URM, have a high GMAT, strong work experience, and an interesting goal, and a "reason" for the low GPA, I'd apply widely at top programs, but not just H/S/W. You're looking for the top program that will overlook the GPA and prepare you for the career you intend to have. Don't just apply to 1-2. So yes give H/S a try, but also apply to Darden, Ross, NYU, Georgetown, Haas, and Duke .

For suggestions on mitigating and addressing your GPA, please see 5 A's for Your Low GPA

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.36
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 05:54
Accepted.com wrote:
Lekoben wrote:

Black Male Canadian, 25

While that GPA is a serious obstacle, given that you are URM, have a high GMAT, strong work experience, and an interesting goal, and a "reason" for the low GPA, I'd apply widely at top programs, but not just H/S/W. You're looking for the top program that will overlook the GPA and prepare you for the career you intend to have. Don't just apply to 1-2. So yes give H/S a try, but also apply to Darden, Ross, NYU, Georgetown, Haas, and Duke .

For suggestions on mitigating and addressing your GPA, please see 5 A's for Your Low GPA

Best,
Linda

Thanks for the reply, and yes I agree, I'm submitting apps to 5 schools in the 10-16 range and a safety school in R1. I guess in R2 is where I will try to reach for a couple M7s since from what you're saying I have a chance.

Am I a URM though? I don't have US citizenship and I'm not eligible for MLT or Consortium.
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 09:39
Lekoben wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Lekoben wrote:

Black Male Canadian, 25

Good question. Because you're Canadian you are not eligible for MLT and the Consortium, and you don't technically fit the definition of U.S. URM. But the you are distinctive enough in your goals and background where you're going to have diversity points.

Best,
Linda

Thanks for the reply, and yes I agree, I'm submitting apps to 5 schools in the 10-16 range and a safety school in R1. I guess in R2 is where I will try to reach for a couple M7s since from what you're saying I have a chance.

Am I a URM though? I don't have US citizenship and I'm not eligible for MLT or Consortium.

Good point. Because you're not a U.S. permanent resident, you are not eligible for the Consortium and for MLT, and you probably don't fit the narrow definition of URM in the U.S.. However as a Canadian you are "international," and your background and goals are distinctive enough where you will be seen as adding to diversity.

Give the higher ranked programs a try. They are a stretch, but worth a shot. I'd love to know how you do when it all shakes out. Thanks.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 08:36
Hi, thanks for help. Here is my profile:
Background: 29 years old | Chinese Native

Education: Undergrad: Chinese Local Uni. GPA: 80 out of 100. | gradual: top 5 French business school GPA: 12.5 out of 20 (B+) exchange to university of Munich, Germany

GRE: Verbal 153 Quant 169

W.E: internship in New York for a equity research firm. 3 years full-time at a Chinese top 3 investment banking for M&A located at Shanghai | part-time consultant for family business- the largest fruit-chain retails with 5000+stores in Asia

Career goal: ST for a consumer focused PE long term back to family business as Chief Investment Officier

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 08:37

Education: Undergrad: Chinese Local Uni. GPA: 80 out of 100. | gradual: top 5 French business school GPA: 12.5 out of 20 (B+) exchange to university of Munich, Germany

W.E: internship in New York for a equity research firm. 3 years full-time at a Chinese top 3 investment banking for M&A located at Shanghai | part-time consultant for family business- the largest fruit-chain retails with 5000+stores in Asia

Career goal: ST for a consumer focused PE long term back to family business as Chief Investment Officier

Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 08:56
Hi vince7261,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I think you have a really interesting professional background and professional goals. If you can, I recommend you retake the GRE to increase your verbal, and as a result the overall score.

Also, have you been involved in any community work? It's an important component of the profile evaluation, so it will need to be addressed.

The narrative will be really important in your application, and I'd love to help. If you are interested, we can find a time to get on a call and explore the qualitative component of your profile. If, interested, please reach out.

Good luck,

Susan

vince7261 wrote:

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: YLP '20 (I)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2019, 23:51
I am an Indian male.

Background: Civil Engineering
Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt(was sick that day) and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt
WE: no full-time work experience as I am applying for the deferred programme
Leadership: Have been actively involved in numeorus activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events and interactions on campus. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children in mainly an editorial role but contributing on the ground as and when required.
I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data Presentation and Project Management from Coursera.

Post MBA Goals: Finance has always been of great interest to me. I want to get into Venture Capital (maybe Impact Investing in particular) as I have always been interested in entrepreneurship and I like meeting new people and listening to new ideas. India is a great growth market for VC and I want to come back to India and contribute to the growth story here.

I plan to work in an early stage startup or a VC fund in the two year after graduating and start my CFA.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2019, 17:53
Hello all! Thanks in advance

Background: U.S. citizen, multiracial (White, Black, Hispanic)
Undergrad: non-prestigious college with a 3.6, but graduated with two majors and a year early (does that save me?)
GMAT: 740
Work Experience: 2.5 years at a rating angency as an analyst in structured finance, promoted after 1.5 years; currently 2.25 years into a role as an investment associate on the team that manages the endowment of a prestigious think tank in DC, promoted after 2 years.
Community and others: Long history of volunteer work since undergrad, including 2.5 years volunteering as a math tutor to low-income GED students in DC. I really wasn't involved in anything formal in college.
Post-MBA goals: To work as an investment consultant and then eventually to work for a large endowment in a management role.
Anything else? I passed CFA Level I and am sitting for L2 in June. Also, I was unemployed for 4 months between my two jobs, I accepted an offer with Peace Corps that was canceled due to a natural disaster in the country three days after I left the rating agency. I think this will be the focus of my HBS essay because it was a transformative time, but not sure if I'm better off just mentioning it int the WE section & not bringing too much attention to it. I would really appreciate any advice there!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2019, 17:53

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23    Next  [ 459 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4