GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 15:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 07:31
Hey all! Posted this as a separate post, but then got routed to the profile evaluation threads. (Not sure of how to go about these, but posting the same in the three main schools I'm targetting, forgive and delete if that's not the right way to go about it.(

Needed some help from y'all to evaluate my profile and also to evaluate the options right in front of me so that my application gets a good boost by the time I apply (in two-three years).

Nationality: Indian
Sex: Male
Bachelor's: Engineering in Computer Science, CGPA: 9.4
Secondary School: 9.2, High School: 83%

Full time Work Exp: 2 years + 0.5 years internship
About the firm: Blue-chip American technology firm ($50B+ a year), one of the best rated supply chains as per Gartner ranking. Worked in the Bangalore office, role on paper was that of a supply chain business analyst, and then later supply chain program manager. One promotion on paper. But in reality, work is not dissimilar to an internal consultant, and have delivered or provided solutions for meaty projects. On a grade scale of A,B,C,D... progressively higher, started at A, took over the job-size of an employee at E who quit on a short notice during a hiring freeze, was moved to a B recently as soon as promotion freeze was relieved. Will definitely be moving to a grade C by the mid of next year, and perhaps a D by the time I apply, which would be considered crazy-fast by the company's standards. Have solid advocates at a Director+ level who would surely give me a glowing recommendation.

Was also honored with an award from the CEO last year for leading community service initiatives in the field of education of the underprivileged in Bangalore with a team of 50+ volunteers whom I program-managed.

GMAT: Will be taking by the end of this year, expecting 740-760 based on my current prep plus mocks

Post-MBA career plans: Either in the finance sector, operations industry or consulting, not zeroed in yet
Target schools: LBS is my first preference due to personal reasons. Outside of those intangibles, Kellogg, Booth, Stern, Sloan, Haas also certainly in my first tier. Harvard, Stanford, Wharton would be dream admits, but not too confident, would appreciate your feedback if my profile stands a chance there at all. Do I need to re-evaluate my whole plan with regards to the schools that could be realistic?

During my bachelor's I co-founded and ran a football (soccer) analytics start-up with a friend based out of the UK. Hired and managed a team of eight writers/editors who would write statistical analysis pieces for the website. Also worked on getting in sponsor moolah from paid shout-outs, etc. At the same time, worked part-time as a sports journalist for one of the world's biggest football news platforms.
Currently, work part-time with a convenience start-up that targets providing low-cost, short-distance logistics to tier-2 and tier-3 towns and cities. Pretty much manage the BizDev, Marketing (on-the-ground and digital marketing) and HR for the start-up. Core team of six, five of them co-founders, so I'm the only core 'hire' (albeit as a consultant). Also manage 200+ delivery executives, retaining whom is often my biggest challenge given that our competition is with a SoftBank-funded multi-billion dollar rival. :)

That was about the present. Now comes the part that has me slightly confused.

I might have opportunities in the coming months to try and push for an internal transfer to another region. Relocating to the US or Europe is incredibly difficult within supply chain, so I'm not even trying for those. Realistic options include moving to Penang (Malaysia), Shenzhen (China) or Guadalajara (Mexico). I'm inclined towards the roles in Mexico, which are around demand planning, as against the ones in Malaysia and China, which are more of material management, something similar to what I currently work around. I would work in these roles for 2/3 years, and then go for the MBA.

But from an adcom standpoint, would a relocation help my resume? If so, would the region matter? And how much would the role matter - should I go for some diversification of my skillset or go further into the sphere of my current work?

Any other pointers for a successful application, given that I have a couple of years to boost my weak-links? Thanks for your time reading this and providing feedback!
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 20:56
lcarpenter wrote:
Hi, I wanted to get some views on whether I am likely to be accepted to HBS.

28 year old near east British female

At a summary level:

Education: MEng electronic engineering from a QS world top 10 university (but based in the UK) Graduated with a first and in the top 10 (4.0 GPA equivalent)

WE: have been working for 5 years in a FTSE100 telecoms company, largely in technical programme management roles. Managing matrix teams of up to 50 people and budgets of £10m. Responsible for rolling out some of the biggest product launches for the company bringing in £millions. Dotted line into CIO and now working on transformation projects.

Also did various internships in big name companies whilst at uni(not sure if relevant here?)

GMAT: 740

Objective for doing an MBA: largely to gain entrepreneurship skills.

Posted from my mobile device

You have a competitive profile for HBS. They will really like your international background, leadership experience, and (I suspect) a good personal story of a Near Eastern, British woman working in a male-dominated tech industry . Your academic stats are impressive too.

One suggestion: for your objective or post MBA goal, try to be more specific than "gain entrepreneurial skills." HBS weighs post MBA goals less than most business schools, but if it comes up in an interview, yours will sound shallow and general. For other programs -- and don't apply just to HBS -- goals are almost always going to be more important if not actually one of the criteria. Other programs for you to consider Stanford, Wharton, MIT Sloan, Columbia, Kellogg, and Booth.

If you'd like help with your applications, please let me know.

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 20:04
ethanlayman wrote:
So I just found out about the Harvard 2+2 program, which sounds very appealing to me as I've just started my last semester of undergrad. My GMAT is 750 and my current GPA is 3.61 (hopefully 3.65 by the time I apply). The problem is until I took the GMAT I never imagined I would be applying for anything relatively close to Harvard, so I don't have a lot more to add to my application.

The 750 is only slightly better than the 740 median, and I'm not sure if it serves any advantage with my slightly below-average GPA. I don't have any internships/professional experience to add, but I plan to secure an internship starting early 2016 that I can at least mention. I have a year and a half's worth of work experience tutoring a variety of business courses, and the extent of my extracurricular activities is playing for the VCU ice hockey team.

Do I have any shot of getting in or should I save the $250?

Hi Ethan,

Congratulations on a great GMAT score! That's definitely the first step. Your GPA at VCU is also strong, but context matters, too. What is your major? Were most of your courses quantitative or engineering? If so, your GPA would shine even more. You talked about an internship -- in what space? Which companies are you shooting for? This matters, too, as Goldman Sachs will sparkle more than a regional bank and Bain will sparkle more than internal corporate strategy. Of course, you can make *ANY* of these paths shine with the right strategic positioning, but early name recognition does matter for HBS 2+2.

In addition to HBS, Yale SOM and UVA Darden have similar 2+2 type programs. You may also want to check out those.

You should definitely apply to HBS 2+2. What do you really have to lose? A small admissions fee and a lump of your time really aren't a very steep cost. If you are interested in Yale SOM and UVA Darden, I'd work on those applications before HBS 2+2. The reason is because HBS is a more generic application and the less differentiated applications are easier to do after you've already done a few more in-depth ones.

Like all 2+2 candidates, you'll have a lot less work experience than traditional HBS applicants. So you'll need to sell your extracurricular and academic/club leadership as persuasively as possible. Lots of people have better ECs in college than in the first few years of work (it can be hard to be leading volunteer groups when you are at the office 80+ hours a week!) but remember that you competing with 2+2 candidates here, not the HBS general pool, so you'll need to make sure you stand out even among *them.* You'll need to quantify impact of your ECs (e.g. how many people helped with volunteer effort, how much $ raised by charity drive, how many hours spent tutoring mentee, etc.) as much as possible. Helping younger applicants construct a solid application strategy to apply for the HBS 2+2 program is a specialty strength of ours. If you think that talking to one of our consultants may be helpful to you, feel free to reach out here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/ Try to really sink into that form -- the more information you give us about your unique candidacy, the better we'll be at helping you position yourself.
Admissionado
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 20:06
ethanlayman wrote:
So I just found out about the Harvard 2+2 program, which sounds very appealing to me as I've just started my last semester of undergrad. My GMAT is 750 and my current GPA is 3.61 (hopefully 3.65 by the time I apply). The problem is until I took the GMAT I never imagined I would be applying for anything relatively close to Harvard, so I don't have a lot more to add to my application.

The 750 is only slightly better than the 740 median, and I'm not sure if it serves any advantage with my slightly below-average GPA. I don't have any internships/professional experience to add, but I plan to secure an internship starting early 2016 that I can at least mention. I have a year and a half's worth of work experience tutoring a variety of business courses, and the extent of my extracurricular activities is playing for the VCU ice hockey team.

Do I have any shot of getting in or should I save the $250?

Hi Ethan,

Congratulations on a great GMAT score! That's definitely the first step. Your GPA at VCU is also strong, but context matters, too. What is your major? Were most of your courses quantitative or engineering? If so, your GPA would shine even more. You talked about an internship -- in what space? Which companies are you shooting for? This matters, too, as Goldman Sachs will sparkle more than a regional bank and Bain will sparkle more than internal corporate strategy. Of course, you can make *ANY* of these paths shine with the right strategic positioning, but early name recognition does matter for HBS 2+2.

In addition to HBS, Yale SOM and UVA Darden have similar 2+2 type programs. You may also want to check out those.

You should definitely apply to HBS 2+2. What do you really have to lose? A small admissions fee and a lump of your time really aren't a very steep cost. If you are interested in Yale SOM and UVA Darden, I'd work on those applications before HBS 2+2. The reason is because HBS is a more generic application and the less differentiated applications are easier to do after you've already done a few more in-depth ones.

Like all 2+2 candidates, you'll have a lot less work experience than traditional HBS applicants. So you'll need to sell your extracurricular and academic/club leadership as persuasively as possible. Lots of people have better ECs in college than in the first few years of work (it can be hard to be leading volunteer groups when you are at the office 80+ hours a week!) but remember that you competing with 2+2 candidates here, not the HBS general pool, so you'll need to make sure you stand out even among *them.* You'll need to quantify impact of your ECs (e.g. how many people helped with volunteer effort, how much $ raised by charity drive, how many hours spent tutoring mentee, etc.) as much as possible. Helping younger applicants construct a solid application strategy to apply for the HBS 2+2 program is a specialty strength of ours. If you think that talking to one of our consultants may be helpful to you, feel free to reach out here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/ Try to really sink into that form -- the more information you give us about your unique candidacy, the better we'll be at helping you position yourself.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 22:24
Hi,

Actually I have a dream of making it to Harvard2+2 or GSB Deferred MBA. Past 3 years have worked hard on this.
Please evaluate my profile and would be grateful if someone could give me a detailed outline of my strengths and key areas (profile).

Basic Info

Male
Indian
Undergraduate : Symbiosis International University
Degree : BBA -Information Technology
GPA : Sem 1- 7.26, Sem 2-7.54, Sem 3-7.8,Sem 4-7.71, Sem 5- 8.2
Average: 7.70 , in 4 Grade Scale it is - 3.29

Work/Internship Experience

--- Digital Marketer Intern for a Startup for 3 months in Feb 2018 - created an engaging app concept .B2B application.
---Volunteer assistant for Non-profit social Enterprise 2 moths Feb 2018 . - Lead a team of 10 , conducted event of over 150+ delegates and 30 speakers in health sector.
---Sales Head Intern for a Growing online education platform 2 months Aug 2018 .- With a team of 3 had sales of 1 lakh Rs and guiding 80+ students in career.
Promoted to Sales Operations Head Intern of City . - Lead Team of 10 with 60+ students in 1 month
--- Volunteer for Non-profit social Enterprise again at higher post , 3 months Oct 2018 to Dec. This event happened on larger scale in which lead a team of 20 and instrumented the event with 700+ delegates and 120 speakers across 4 Sectors.
--- Volunteer for NGO community which promoted qualities through sports and music for underprivileged kids. 3 months Feb 2019 . Helped 300-500 kids for their matches , music competitions etc.
---Volunteer for a Nasscom event in March 2019 . Resulted in smooth flow of 500+ participants .

Extracurricular Sports

---Zonal Level Boxer 2016-17 Bronze Medallist Under 16
--- District level Cricketer 2012-14 under 12,14
---Zonal level participant in Iken Scietifica
---School level participant in boxing (Silver) , Taekwondo(Bronze) , Athletics , Football,Cricket .

Extracurricular Involvement

---International Cell Head for Undergrad 2019 . Conducted 3 events for international students .Helped and guided them in studies ,culture, for 20-30 International Students.
--- Placement Cell Coordinator for my Undergrad 2019. Coordinated and conducted placements for students with 5 companies.
--- Founder and Head for Clubs in Undergrad 2018 .Conducted 2 events and also lead a team of 10 for various activities for college.
--- Participant in Sponsored Cancer walk(5kms) in which I collected 5k and received a gold medal by school for maximum contribution.
--- Received a award for Gentlemanly qualities in school 2016.

Additional Certifications

--- HarvardX certificate online course Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies on Edx platform
--- Nanodegree in Digital Marketing Udacity
--- Google certificate in Digital Marketing
--- Business Blogging , Content Marketing Certificate on Hubspot Academy .

Projects

---Missing Faces
A project in which my team of 10 with a mentors (College professor, Entrepreneur, Coder) are making an app for children who are lost . This also connects entities I.E Parents, Police and NGO's . Had successful meeting with City police , Ngos . App currently under-development.

---GovConnect
Supported by The Governor of Union Territory and one of the most Influential Women in India. Creating an app for connecting all the governors across country and also establishing security and making user friendly app.

---------------------------

I am planning to give my Gmat in this month . Have scored 720 in my mock tests .
I believe I have a strong story to tell.

Career Goals : I want to contribute towards soceity development and also have a passion to grow in the field of Entrepreneurship and marketing .

Please do guide me ...
Looking forward !!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 22:46
gagan2 wrote:
Hi,

Actually I have a dream of making it to Harvard2+2 or GSB Deferred MBA. Past 3 years have worked hard on this.
Please evaluate my profile and would be grateful if someone could give me a detailed outline of my strengths and key areas (profile).

Basic Info

Male
Indian

--- Digital Marketer Intern for a Startup for 3 months in Feb 2018 - created an engaging app concept .B2B application.
---Volunteer assistant for Non-profit social Enterprise 2 moths Feb 2018 . - Lead a team of 10 , conducted event of over 150+ delegates and 30 speakers in health sector.
---Sales Head Intern for a Growing online education platform 2 months Aug 2018 .- With a team of 3 had sales of 1 lakh Rs and guiding 80+ students in career.
Promoted to Sales Operations Head Intern of City . - Lead Team of 10 with 60+ students in 1 month
--- Volunteer for Non-profit social Enterprise again at higher post , 3 months Oct 2018 to Dec. This event happened on larger scale in which lead a team of 20 and instrumented the event with 700+ delegates and 120 speakers across 4 Sectors.
--- Volunteer for NGO community which promoted qualities through sports and music for underprivileged kids. 3 months Feb 2019 . Helped 300-500 kids for their matches , music competitions etc.
---Volunteer for a Nasscom event in March 2019 . Resulted in smooth flow of 500+ participants .

Extracurricular Sports

---School level participant in boxing (Silver) , Taekwondo(Bronze) , Athletics , Football,Cricket .

---International Cell Head for Undergrad 2019 . Conducted 3 events for international students .Helped and guided them in studies ,culture, for 20-30 International Students.
--- Placement Cell Coordinator for my Undergrad 2019. Coordinated and conducted placements for students with 5 companies.
--- Founder and Head for Clubs in Undergrad 2018 .Conducted 2 events and also lead a team of 10 for various activities for college.
--- Participant in Sponsored Cancer walk(5kms) in which I collected 5k and received a gold medal by school for maximum contribution.

--- HarvardX certificate online course Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies on Edx platform

Projects

---Missing Faces
A project in which my team of 10 with a mentors (College professor, Entrepreneur, Coder) are making an app for children who are lost . This also connects entities I.E Parents, Police and NGO's . Had successful meeting with City police , Ngos . App currently under-development.

---GovConnect
Supported by The Governor of Union Territory and one of the most Influential Women in India. Creating an app for connecting all the governors across country and also establishing security and making user friendly app.

I am planning to give my Gmat in this month . Have scored 720 in my mock tests .

Career Goals : I want to contribute towards soceity development and also have a passion to grow in the field of Entrepreneurship and marketing .

Please do guide me ...

Hi,

I am also planning to apply for deferred programs abroad. I can't really speak about the other things but your academics seem a little weak. Especially for an Indian male candidate. Try to push up your GMAT score since you can't change your GPA. The average for 2+2 is 740.
Also try to flesh out your goals a little bit. Social work, entrepreneurship and Marketing all sound very generic.
All the best for your GMAT

P

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 21:51
gagan2 wrote:
Hi,

Basic Info

Male
Indian

Extracurricular Sports

Projects

---Missing Faces

---GovConnect

Please do guide me ...

I have a couple of suggestions for you before I I respond to your question:

1. Don't translate your GPA unless a school asks you to do so. Usually the "translation" appears lower than it should.
2. Achievements from your earlier teens are irrelevant when you apply to graduate school, even a deferred admissions program. Even high school achievements or awards, unless truly remarkable, aren't of much interest to grad school admissions committees. Focus on what you've done in college.

In terms of your main question, I think Stanford and HBS are a stretch. Your GPA is rather average for these programs and your anticipated GMAT is below average. Your experience is good, but I'm not sure it's good enough for Harvard and Stanford. You may want to consider Darden's deferred admissions program (Future Years Scholars Program) or wait to apply to regular MBA programs after a few years of work experience. Or simply apply to H/S and see how you do. But also look in to Darden's program.

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 06:43
Hi!

I am 24, Indian, UG in Computer Science Engineering.

Work ex: Consulting at Tier-II consulting firm ( Fortune 500 professional services company) - Got a policy exception to join consulting from technology without an MBA - the youngest member of consulting practice at my company in India - due for promotion which will make 3 promotions in 3 years of my career at the company.

Extra-curricular:

1. Trustee of a sports foundation - We train underprivileged kids in sports for free with an aim to make them professional athletes. This foundation is under leadership of an accomplished Paralympian
2. Advisor to an NGO which has fixed over 500 garbage dumps in India
3. Advisor to Member of Parliament ( Congressman ) - Help him with policies and initiatives around startups and tech

Reason for MBA - Get a deeper understanding of business and global markets and build a global network. I want to come back to India post-MBA and work for a VC along with helping the government in building a strong startup ecosystem for my country.

I am planning to write an MBA in the next 4 months and apply to class of 2021. You advice will be very helpful formulizing my strategy going forward.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 10:51
Kindly evaluate the following profile. Just wanted to get an idea I can make it through with this profile and if there is

any possibility of some scholarship.

Indian Male (31) - Targeting 2021 batch

10th : 93% 12th: 91%

Undergrad : Engineering (7.91/10)

First MBA : Marketing (2.99/4)

GMAT 720 (Q:48, V:40) - Planning a retake in Jan'20

Job profile :

1) Present (3.5 years): Working in FMCG industry for past 3.5 years.
Have managed national category development roles for Food categories (preparing and implementing sales strategy for two of

India's largest food brands).
Currently leading a team of 15 members to drive sales in Modern Trade channel for one of the highest growing markets of

India

2) Brand manager (2 years) : Pharmaceuticals (nutritional supplements)

3) Pre MBA (2 years) : Product development in a Japanese auto-maker. Coordinating with Japanese counterparts to prepare,

evaluate and develop products to optimize vehicle performance

Other interests:
1) Part-time author. Have published book of fiction which is live on Amazon and Flipkart and has sold more than 1000

copies.
2) Was co-founder in a digital marketing start-up during first MBA
3) Passionate about portrait photography. Have my own page of black & white portrait photography
4) have participated and won case study competitions organised by some leading MNCs
5) Assisted a NGO in developing programs to spread awareness of HIV in high risk population areas
6) Sponsor one child from HIV affected family to attend evening classes

Internation exposure:
I have spent 2 years in a Japanese MNC where I had to collaborate with my Japanese counterparts on a daily basis

Post MBA aspirations
1) Joining either a product bases organisation or an e-commerce organisation in business development, strategy or

marketing team
2) Joining a consulting group

Thanks in advance.
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 20:00
qwer45ind wrote:
Kindly evaluate the following profile. Just wanted to get an idea I can make it through with this profile and if there is

any possibility of some scholarship.

Indian Male (31) - Targeting 2021 batch

10th : 93% 12th: 91%

Undergrad : Engineering (7.91/10)

First MBA : Marketing (2.99/4)

GMAT 720 (Q:48, V:40) - Planning a retake in Jan'20

Job profile :

1) Present (3.5 years): Working in FMCG industry for past 3.5 years.
Have managed national category development roles for Food categories (preparing and implementing sales strategy for two of

India's largest food brands).
Currently leading a team of 15 members to drive sales in Modern Trade channel for one of the highest growing markets of

India

2) Brand manager (2 years) : Pharmaceuticals (nutritional supplements)

3) Pre MBA (2 years) : Product development in a Japanese auto-maker. Coordinating with Japanese counterparts to prepare,

evaluate and develop products to optimize vehicle performance

Other interests:
1) Part-time author. Have published book of fiction which is live on Amazon and Flipkart and has sold more than 1000

copies.
2) Was co-founder in a digital marketing start-up during first MBA
3) Passionate about portrait photography. Have my own page of black & white portrait photography
4) have participated and won case study competitions organised by some leading MNCs
5) Assisted a NGO in developing programs to spread awareness of HIV in high risk population areas
6) Sponsor one child from HIV affected family to attend evening classes

Internation exposure:
I have spent 2 years in a Japanese MNC where I had to collaborate with my Japanese counterparts on a daily basis

Post MBA aspirations
1) Joining either a product bases organisation or an e-commerce organisation in business development, strategy or

marketing team
2) Joining a consulting group

Thanks in advance.

HBS would be a stretch program for you, even with a higher GMAT. However, my comments are based on your current GMAT. Given your goals also consider Duke, Darden, Ross, UT Austin, UNC, Cornell (and maybe Cornell Tech) and UCLA.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 21:34
Hey all,

Please have a look at my profile :thumbup:

Background: Asian-Australian Male (Vietnamese but born and raised in Australia)
Undergrad GPA: Not sure but it'd be just under 3.0? Admittedly did not apply myself in my undergrad. Would have done a lot of things differently if I could go back.
Although was heavily involved in my student organisation and was the VP for a year.
Qualifications: I have a Masters in Optometry.
GMAT: Expecting about ~710 (I feel I can potentially get this higher)
Work Experience: ~ 4.5 years as an Optometrist. My last 2 years I worked as Locum (or Contractor) going from clinic to clinic all over Australia doing lots of FIFO/DIDO work. I've worked in regional and remote locations, often might be the only eye care professional within a 3-4 hour drive. Lot of work with training/mentoring new graduates in a previous job.
Community and others: I have done a volunteer trip to Vietnam representing the Fred Hollows foundation. Working closely with local doctors/nurses, sharing skills and offering advice etc. Also ran clinics in local schools.
Other qualifications: I am a certified Snowboard Instructor (CASI Level 2). Snowboarding is my life. Spent one season in Canada a few years ago.
Post-MBA goals: I'm looking at a career change and am hoping the MBA can steer me in the right direction. I want to start a career in finance.

Having had a look at some of the profiles on here I realised mine is quite weak in comparison. My GPA holds me back and I don't have a lot of corporate experience.
However, I come from an underrepresented demographic/industry. Will this help?

I have become disillusioned in my current career and am set on doing an MBA. I have so much more I need to learn and Harvard is the pipe dream. Realistically, what are my chances?

Cheers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: Harvard University
WE: Consulting (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 17:01
Harvard's 2+2 program is great, but it is actually MORE competitive than MBA regular admissions. You have to have something (more than a high GMAT score) to really stand out, and show you bring something unique to the table. That said, I think the program is great, and if you, or anyone else, wants to speak to me personally about Harvard, I am happy to field more questions: www.MBAIvy.com
I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm: http://www.MBAIvy.com. Check out my blog, and contact me for a free consultation today!
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 18:06
pieomy wrote:
Hey all,

Please have a look at my profile :thumbup:

Background: Asian-Australian Male (Vietnamese but born and raised in Australia)
Undergrad GPA: Not sure but it'd be just under 3.0? Admittedly did not apply myself in my undergrad. Would have done a lot of things differently if I could go back.
Although was heavily involved in my student organisation and was the VP for a year.
Qualifications: I have a Masters in Optometry.
GMAT: Expecting about ~710 (I feel I can potentially get this higher)
Work Experience: ~ 4.5 years as an Optometrist. My last 2 years I worked as Locum (or Contractor) going from clinic to clinic all over Australia doing lots of FIFO/DIDO work. I've worked in regional and remote locations, often might be the only eye care professional within a 3-4 hour drive. Lot of work with training/mentoring new graduates in a previous job.
Community and others: I have done a volunteer trip to Vietnam representing the Fred Hollows foundation. Working closely with local doctors/nurses, sharing skills and offering advice etc. Also ran clinics in local schools.
Other qualifications: I am a certified Snowboard Instructor (CASI Level 2). Snowboarding is my life. Spent one season in Canada a few years ago.
Post-MBA goals: I'm looking at a career change and am hoping the MBA can steer me in the right direction. I want to start a career in finance.

Having had a look at some of the profiles on here I realised mine is quite weak in comparison. My GPA holds me back and I don't have a lot of corporate experience.
However, I come from an underrepresented demographic/industry. Will this help?

I have become disillusioned in my current career and am set on doing an MBA. I have so much more I need to learn and Harvard is the pipe dream. Realistically, what are my chances?

Cheers.

Hello Pieomy.

Were your grades in your masters program higher? Are you planning to apply R2 of this year of R1 of next year?

Linda Abraham

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 18:21
Hey Linda,

Thanks for the reply. Yes my Masters grade was slightly higher but it wouldn't be by much. It was done in tandem with my Undergrad.

I was hoping for R2 this year. But think I might have a better profile R1 next year (GMAT could be a few points higher).
Again, Harvard is the pipe dream. Do you know which colleges I'd have a realistic chance at?

Thank you

Acceptedcom wrote:
Hello Pieomy.

Were your grades in your masters program higher? Are you planning to apply R2 of this year of R1 of next year?

Linda Abraham
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 18:49
pieomy wrote:
Hey Linda,

Thanks for the reply. Yes my Masters grade was slightly higher but it wouldn't be by much. It was done in tandem with my Undergrad.

I was hoping for R2 this year. But think I might have a better profile R1 next year (GMAT could be a few points higher).
Again, Harvard is the pipe dream. Do you know which colleges I'd have a realistic chance at?

Thank you

Acceptedcom wrote:
Hello Pieomy.

Linda Abraham

Even with your distinctive personal and professional background, your grades combined with your anticipated GMAT are probably note enough to make you competitive at HBS or top-tier programs. So you have a choice, apply now mostly to lower ranked programs that still support your goals or work to improve your qualifications for a round 1 application next year.

To improve your qualifications:

1. Get a higher than 710 GMAT. 730 + would be nice. That's easy for me to say, and hard for you to do.
2. Take some business-related classes and earn A's in them to show you can excel today in a graduate business program. HBS Online's CORe would be helpful. Online extension classes from other major universities are also an option.
3. Research and think about how your education and work experience to date could be valuable to you in a future, business career. You don't have to use your background, but it could give you a leg up in a optics company or certain bio tech companies .

You might be interested in:

[*]MBA Goals A-Z
[*]MBA Admissions Advice for Career Changers

Please let me know if you would like help with your application, either R2 or next year.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2019, 18:16
Hi!

I would like to have a sense of the trade-off between age and GMAT score. As well as an evaluation of my chances to get into Harvard.

The question is simple: Apply with a 680 GMAT this year (Intake 2020:R2) or apply with an estimated 710 GMAT but one year older (intake 2021:R1)?

Average GMAT for Harvard is super high, as we all know, so getting closer definitely matters, but also I turn 29 on 2020 so I fear about age discrimination. My first exam without any studying was 640 and I've gone up only 40 points so I know I can get higher with time and effort. The rest of my application would remain "the same" I would have an extra year of managerial experience though as I've recently been promoted.

Background
Demographics
Latin (Salvadoran) Male, 28
Studies
Majored in Economics from country's top business school
Magna Cum Laude
Partial Scholarship from a national program based on academic performance
GPA: 8.8 (10 point based scale, top 5 out of 90)
1 year double degree program (exchange) with a German university (majored in International Business Management)
Current GMAT
Work experience
5 years: 3 in FMCG for a world known company, 2 in a telecom multinational
3 years in analytics, 2 in Product Management. A total of 5 different roles/titles. Currently a manager with a team of 2.
Recommendations
Directors in both companies I've worked for. I was a direct report. I expect an honest but very good recommendation.
Community
Teacher in an "english for work" program directed at high-school students in low income area (past 2 years).
Member of a known international youth organization seeking to help local communities (current).
Others
Started an mobile app design company in 2012 (while studying 2nd year). Sold my stake after a year, company stills exists today (small).
Economic debate national winner representing my university
2nd place in national entrepreneurship competition
Post MBA goals
Start a tech consumer or BPO firm based in latam

Any help appreciated!
Thank you very much.
[Posted in my top 3 schools' forum]
Admissionado
D

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 06:21
Jpenaavila wrote:
Hi!

I would like to have a sense of the trade-off between age and GMAT score. As well as an evaluation of my chances to get into Harvard.

The question is simple: Apply with a 680 GMAT this year (Intake 2020:R2) or apply with an estimated 710 GMAT but one year older (intake 2021:R1)?

Average GMAT for Harvard is super high, as we all know, so getting closer definitely matters, but also I turn 29 on 2020 so I fear about age discrimination. My first exam without any studying was 640 and I've gone up only 40 points so I know I can get higher with time and effort. The rest of my application would remain "the same" I would have an extra year of managerial experience though as I've recently been promoted.

Background
Demographics
Latin (Salvadoran) Male, 28
Studies
Majored in Economics from country's top business school
Magna Cum Laude
Partial Scholarship from a national program based on academic performance
GPA: 8.8 (10 point based scale, top 5 out of 90)
1 year double degree program (exchange) with a German university (majored in International Business Management)
Current GMAT
Work experience
5 years: 3 in FMCG for a world known company, 2 in a telecom multinational
3 years in analytics, 2 in Product Management. A total of 5 different roles/titles. Currently a manager with a team of 2.
Recommendations
Directors in both companies I've worked for. I was a direct report. I expect an honest but very good recommendation.
Community
Teacher in an "english for work" program directed at high-school students in low income area (past 2 years).
Member of a known international youth organization seeking to help local communities (current).
Others
Started an mobile app design company in 2012 (while studying 2nd year). Sold my stake after a year, company stills exists today (small).
Economic debate national winner representing my university
2nd place in national entrepreneurship competition
Post MBA goals
Start a tech consumer or BPO firm based in latam

Any help appreciated!
Thank you very much.
[Posted in my top 3 schools' forum]

Hi there,

I saw you posted this in a few of the forums (Stanford, Sloan, Harvard) but my answer is largely the same for all of the top tier schools! That is, a higher GMAT score is always going to increase your chances of admission at the top tier schools where we're seeing averages up in the 730s. Of course it is totally your decision as to whether you decide to go for it this year and reapply if necessary or wait another year and apply with a higher score, but I would not let age deter you from waiting. There will be students 30 and over at all of the top schools--age is less important than it is convincing the ad com that this is the right time for YOU personally and professionally to take two years out of your career to pursue an MBA. I also think another year of true management experience--which not every applicant has--will help build your profile and give you more content to draw on for essays, interviews, etc. Even with a higher GMAT score, these schools are tricky for even the top candidates to get into so I'd encourage you to broaden your list a bit (maybe Kellogg, CBS, Haas) if an MBA is a must-have for you.

Hope that helps and feel free to reach out to us directly!
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 11:29
Hi,

Please, if you can, evaluate my profile as an international applicant for the MBA program.

Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in technology with specialisation in computer science engineering.
GMAT: not taken yet
Work experience: 6+ years
About me - An engineer turned entrepreneur, started a textiles manufacturing and trading business, while studying, with my father (as his prior experience and willingness to work in the same industry he's ever been). Completed my engineering side-by-side. Then left for job, but kept involved in business somehow of the location benefits as my manufacturing process used to take place in the same city I got a job in. Then moved back for business, leaving my job. Since then, been in business and have turned quite a lot of things around for us, and for the market in a good way.
key achievement -- Turned everything from credit to cash.
Took things online,
and added a customer-centric approach.
All these things and ideas were new for the market and my customers, but now productivity has increased for both.
I think entrepreneurship is a good idea for my MBA, but not sure if it’s a good idea in case I want to experience something different like a job maybe for some time. Also, I am so much involved into everything I do, I don't want myself to not make use of my 2 years at an MBA program, so I am a little cautious of schools where I may not find the right mindset of people whom I can be with.
Why MBA?
I have some ideas related to my field which I think can really help and change the way things are done. I want to incorporate tech into small scale manufacturing, and I don't mean just computers. I am looking for a school where I can get some tech exposure along with my MBA, as I may need to take 1-2 tech courses along with an MBA.

Extracurriculars: I am an active sports guy. I play tennis, have coaching experience of swimming (summers only :P) have formed 2 groups in my city -- running and cycling, started with 2 people now each group has around 500+ participants, 60% of them are moderately active, 80% are somewhat active.
I trek a lot and have taken most treks closer to my place, as I work 7 days so it's hard to take an off as treks need a lot of days, but I manage that somehow by minimizing risk.
I am a cyclist, too. you'll find me cycling in the hills, if not trekking.
I have taken part in brevets. 200 km one.
I am a part of the national cycling group and I represent my city for the group.
Also, I am a participant of a blood donation group, we provide blood to blood banks and the ones in need, in person, too. we don't charge for it, it's a free community service for anyone in need. we are presently handling 3 states and the group has around 5000 members, most of them are active. It's run by the people for the people, but then there are too many things to do.

References: From clients to these groups, I can ask anyone to recommend me, but I think it makes more sense if I ask my clients or business people.

shall I apply?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 11:48
Shrey9 wrote:
Hi,

Please, if you can, evaluate my profile as an international applicant for the MBA program.

Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in technology with specialisation in computer science engineering.
About me - An engineer turned entrepreneur, started a textiles manufacturing and trading business, while studying, with my father (as his prior experience and willingness to work in the same industry he's ever been). Completed my engineering side-by-side. Then left for job, but kept involved in business somehow of the location benefits as my manufacturing process used to take place in the same city I got a job in. Then moved back for business, leaving my job. Since then, been in business and have turned quite a lot of things around for us, and for the market in a good way.
Took things online,
All these things and ideas were new for the market and my customers, but now productivity has increased for both.
I think entrepreneurship is a good idea for my MBA, but not sure if it’s a good idea in case I want to experience something different like a job maybe for some time. Also, I am so much involved into everything I do, I don't want myself to not make use of my 2 years at an MBA program, so I am a little cautious of schools where I may not find the right mindset of people whom I can be with.
Why MBA?
I have some ideas related to my field which I think can really help and change the way things are done. I want to incorporate tech into small scale manufacturing, and I don't mean just computers. I am looking for a school where I can get some tech exposure along with my MBA, as I may need to take 1-2 tech courses along with an MBA.

Extracurriculars: I am an active sports guy. I play tennis, have coaching experience of swimming (summers only :P) have formed 2 groups in my city -- running and cycling, started with 2 people now each group has around 500+ participants, 60% of them are moderately active, 80% are somewhat active.
I trek a lot and have taken most treks closer to my place, as I work 7 days so it's hard to take an off as treks need a lot of days, but I manage that somehow by minimizing risk.
I am a part of the national cycling group and I represent my city for the group.
Also, I am a participant of a blood donation group, we provide blood to blood banks and the ones in need, in person, too. we don't charge for it, it's a free community service for anyone in need. we are presently handling 3 states and the group has around 5000 members, most of them are active. It's run by the people for the people, but then there are too many things to do.

References: From clients to these groups, I can ask anyone to recommend me, but I think it makes more sense if I ask my clients or business people.

shall I apply?

You should include the ranking of your undergraduate college in India as that does play a part. You'll see IITians getting in more than other colleges. Also without a competitive GMAT score it would be hard for anyone to evaluate given our competitive Indian Engineer pool.

P

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 12:21
Shrey9 wrote:
Hi,

Took things online,
Why MBA?

shall I apply?

First of all it's extremely difficult to assess your profile without a GMAT/GRE score on some indication of academic achievement while in college. It's even difficult to truly assess your impact on the job because you haven't been specific about your impact. (FYI, it's really important that you quantify your impact in your application. )

Your achievements off the job are impressive and will enhance your application.

Many if not most MBA programs give you the opportunity to take some classes outside the business school so if you want to take a couple of engineering classes, you should be able to do so. Make sure that your programs allow for that.

I can't tell you if you should apply or not. I think you need to clarify what you want to learn in business school and achieve after it. Many applicants work for a while after b-school and before starting their own business. Some start their own business while in their MBA programs; other start immediately after. But you need to decide on your most desirable path in order to apply to the programs best for you. Right now you seem very uncertain about what you want to do.

Linda

GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2019, 12:21

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25    Next  [ 492 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4