GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kellogg
CAT Tests
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 07:27
Hi can anyone help me review my profile for HBS class of 2023

GMAT: 760
Bachelor's: Electrical Engineering ( Anna University)
Gpa: 8.7/10(University top 51 rank)
Work experience: 4 years as Software Engineer from fortune 500 - PayPal, world's largest Payments platform. Promoted once from Software Developer to Senior Software Developer.

Co-curricular:
1. Active member of the community where we host and attend various conferences, Meetups , workshops related to Product Management.
2. Part of an elite community of young innovators who are selected( through interviews from a pool of 4.5k people) to pursue creative ideas and bring them to action at workplace in a way that would benefit the employees.
3. Attended various workshops and events related to Product Management.

Extra curricular:
1. Leading the wellness initiatives of Employees at the company. Devise plans, consult with the leadership team and implement them.
2. Leading the Social activities of the company. Have lead, organised and volunteered numerous such campaigns with various other Non-profit organisations
3. Worked with a Non-profit to collect funds for small scale entrepreneurs and lead the campaign.
4. Volunteered and mentored Children from rural backgrounds and help them with their careers, provide career guidance, etc
5. Was the Student Secretary of the college during undergrad. Responsible for voicing out student issues to the management board, coordinating with the management and organising various student events at college.
6. Was the Student Placement Coordinator and worked with the College Placement cell preparing the students for Placement drives and aided the Placement cell in bringing-in various companies for campus placements and smooth conduct of Campus Placements.

Hobbies: Play cricket- represented the company in tournaments
Avid marathon runner. Participated in numerous charity marathons conducted around my neighbourhood.
Part-time teaching at Orphanages

Goals - To get into Product Management at a Tech giant and design innovative products that will change the way we live in this modern era of technology. Want to create an impact with Innovative technology.

I am looking to apply for the class of 2023. Do you think I can stand a chance or are there any areas that I can improve and try for class of 2024?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks !
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 16:51
Gokul20 wrote:
Hi can anyone help me review my profile for HBS class of 2023

GMAT: 760
Bachelor's: Electrical Engineering ( Anna University)
Gpa: 8.7/10(University top 51 rank)
Work experience: 4 years as Software Engineer from fortune 500 - PayPal, world's largest Payments platform. Promoted once from Software Developer to Senior Software Developer.

Co-curricular:
1. Active member of the community where we host and attend various conferences, Meetups , workshops related to Product Management.
2. Part of an elite community of young innovators who are selected( through interviews from a pool of 4.5k people) to pursue creative ideas and bring them to action at workplace in a way that would benefit the employees.
3. Attended various workshops and events related to Product Management.

Extra curricular:
1. Leading the wellness initiatives of Employees at the company. Devise plans, consult with the leadership team and implement them.
2. Leading the Social activities of the company. Have lead, organised and volunteered numerous such campaigns with various other Non-profit organisations
3. Worked with a Non-profit to collect funds for small scale entrepreneurs and lead the campaign.
4. Volunteered and mentored Children from rural backgrounds and help them with their careers, provide career guidance, etc
5. Was the Student Secretary of the college during undergrad. Responsible for voicing out student issues to the management board, coordinating with the management and organising various student events at college.
6. Was the Student Placement Coordinator and worked with the College Placement cell preparing the students for Placement drives and aided the Placement cell in bringing-in various companies for campus placements and smooth conduct of Campus Placements.

Hobbies: Play cricket- represented the company in tournaments
Avid marathon runner. Participated in numerous charity marathons conducted around my neighbourhood.
Part-time teaching at Orphanages

Goals - To get into Product Management at a Tech giant and design innovative products that will change the way we live in this modern era of technology. Want to create an impact with Innovative technology.

I am looking to apply for the class of 2023. Do you think I can stand a chance or are there any areas that I can improve and try for class of 2024?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks !

You have a competitive profile for HBS and other top MBA programs, and there are several that support your goals in addition to HBS. I strongly encourage you to apply to others, including Stanford, Haas, MIT Sloan, UCLA Anderson, and NYU Stern, in addition to HBS.

in terms of optimizing your profile, you're doing the right things. However when describing what your activities and experience, focus on what you achieved and not just what you did. You want to show that you're a person who makes a difference. If you've done so in the past, there's a greater likelihood you'll do so in the future.

Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2020, 17:06
Demographic:
Straight Asian Male, 28
US

Numbers:
3.3 undergrad GPA in a STEM major (3.7 in math)
720 GMAT

Work Experience
Teach For America / NYC Teaching Fellows / Math For America program (3 years)
Strategy& / Oliver Wyman / LEK consulting (3 years)

Goal of MBA:
Learn and further entrepreneurship, business, and management skills to build a company that aims to revolutionize the education sector.
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2020, 12:02
teamusa222 wrote:
Demographic:
Straight Asian Male, 28
US

Numbers:
720 GMAT

Work Experience

Goal of MBA:
Learn and further entrepreneurship, business, and management skills to build a company that aims to revolutionize the education sector.

Hi there, you have the makings of a solid profile for a top business school. However, if there is any way you can get your GMAT up further, I would try (~740) as you are below the average in addition to having a below average GPA. Where did you go to undergrad, if you are ok sharing? You are also slightly above the average years of work experience, especially if you have 6 years already and will be over 7 upon matriculation. To spread your risk, I would recommend applying to 5ish schools and building a great story around how your past work experience informs your long-term goal. Feel free to reach out if you would like to chat further, as it's hard to opine fully without knowing more detail about your background / work experience. Good luck!
Contact us for a Free Consultation!
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2020, 08:00
teamusa222 wrote:
Demographic:
Straight Asian Male, 28
US

Numbers:
720 GMAT

Work Experience

Goal of MBA:

They'll love your TFA experience, but HBS is a stretch. Your GPA is below average as is your GMAT (a tad). And you also seem to have bounced around a bit as a consultant If you had above average achievement on the job and lots of leadership with impact, give HBS a try, but also apply to programs where you are more likely to get accepted. Look into Darden, Ross, CBS, Duke, and Cornell Johnson, and maybe USC.

Best,
Linda

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Intern
Intern
Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2020, 07:00
Greetings Everyone.
I am Ritika from india.
Could any one please provide suggestion regarding improvements that needs to be consider for admission in B-Schools across globe based on below profile-

Profession - More than 2.5 years of work experience, currently working with big 4 as an actuarial consultant.

Education - partly qualified actuary, appearing for further actuarial exams, have 4GPA in Graduation

Volunteer interests- Currently associated with NGO for teaching underprivileged kids.
Also, was associated with actuarial foundation to contribute to my actuarial community.

Goal :- Use my skill set and diverse experience to develop an environment where everyone can significantly contribute to the development of society in various aspect that can improve the way of living for underprivileged.

I will be appearing for GMAT in june/july end for admission in 2021.

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2020, 16:55
Hi Ritika,

Thanks for sharing your profile info!

Your GMAT score will be a key component of your competitiveness, so it's difficult to judge your admission chances before then. Ideally you should be shooting to score at or above the average for the schools that you're targeting (i.e. 730 for HBS / Stanford, Wharton, etc.). If you need to re-take the test once or twice to achieve that score, it'll be worth your time and effort.

The main concern with your work in the actuarial field is that it could be construed as overly technical. Top business schools in particular want students who are future business leaders, not just students who have technical prowess within their industries (although of course that's important, too). I would encourage you to spend some time thinking about and documenting anecdotes from your work experience where you demonstrated not only technical expertise but also leadership abilities, particularly anecdotes that highlight your soft skills (interpersonal communications, team building, mentorship, management, etc.), which will counter-balance your quantitative background. Also give some thought to who you want to ask to write letters of recommendation for you. These individuals should be significantly senior to you so that they're in a position to compare your performance and potential to your peers, and they should also be able to speak to your leadership potential.

Finally, I also urge you to think more deeply about your post-MBA goals. What you wrote in your post definitely sounds admirable, but it's also quite vague. Admissions committees want to see clarity and specificity in the stated goals of applicants. What do you mean by "an environment where everyone can significantly contribute to the development of society"? Do you mean education? Do you mean income inequality? Do you mean public health? You'll want to be much more specific about what kind of role, organization, or company you want to work for (or establish) both in the short term (up to 5 years) and long term (15+ years) after business school, as well as why you believe an MBA will be necessary to help you achieve those goals.

I hope that helps! If you'd like to chat further, feel free to reach out to us at www.admissionado.com!

Best,

Doris
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2020, 15:50
Ritikarustogi wrote:
Greetings Everyone.
I am Ritika from india.
Could any one please provide suggestion regarding improvements that needs to be consider for admission in B-Schools across globe based on below profile-

Profession - More than 2.5 years of work experience, currently working with big 4 as an actuarial consultant.

Education - partly qualified actuary, appearing for further actuarial exams, have 4GPA in Graduation

Volunteer interests- Currently associated with NGO for teaching underprivileged kids.
Also, was associated with actuarial foundation to contribute to my actuarial community.

Goal :- Use my skill set and diverse experience to develop an environment where everyone can significantly contribute to the development of society in various aspect that can improve the way of living for underprivileged.

I will be appearing for GMAT in june/july end for admission in 2021.

Your GPA is definitely competitive and if you're passing actuarial exams, the schools aren't going to be concerned whether you can do the math or not. (My husband is an FSA.) To improve your chances:

1. Get a high GMAT. You don't mention the GMAT at all, probably because you haven't taken it yet.
2. Clarify your goal. It currently is admirable, but very broad and too vague to really guide you in choosing schools, courses, or activities. An immediate post-MBA goal is usually defined in terms of the function you want to do and the industry in which you want to do it. So how do you intend to use your skills to improve the lives of the underprivileged? Do you need an MBA or an MPA for that? Or perhaps an MPH or MEd? Again, you need to be much more concrete and specific.
3. While you mention your actuarial skills and advancement, actuaries science can be viewed as a very technical field. MBA programs want to admit people with leadership experience and potential who have made a difference in the organizations they have served. If you can do so, continue doing what you're doing and make sure you highlight those activities in your application. If you can't show those qualities, you need to seek out those kinds of experiences either on the job or in your NGO work.

For additional advice, please see:

7 Steps to MBA Acceptance in 2021, a webinar recording.
[url=https://reports.accepted.com/mba/why-mba
]"Why MBA?" [/url]a free guide tat you can dowloand
Leadership in Admissions

Intern
Intern
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 15:42
Hi everyone - new to the community here. I'm a senior at (Dartmouth/Cornell/Columbia) studying econ with a 3.7 GPA. Scheduled to take the GMAT in a month, most recent test has been 730 (Q47, V44) so optimistic I can get it up a bit more by then. I've interned at a top 3 investment bank (M&A) and top 2 asset manager, returning to the bank full time. Confident Ican get good rec letters from the bank and a professor I have TA'd for. Should I bother wasting $100 on the HBS 2+2 app? I know they've accepted a few finance kids in recent classes although that's still not the target demographic. My background and ECs should be fairly compelling (I care deeply about freedom of expression/religion and I have been involved in leadership roles supporting such causes) but I'm also not a URM. Any thoughts?
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2020, 16:00
xKingKongx wrote:
Hi everyone - new to the community here. I'm a senior at (Dartmouth/Cornell/Columbia) studying econ with a 3.7 GPA. Scheduled to take the GMAT in a month, most recent test has been 730 (Q47, V44) so optimistic I can get it up a bit more by then. I've interned at a top 3 investment bank (M&A) and top 2 asset manager, returning to the bank full time. Confident Ican get good rec letters from the bank and a professor I have TA'd for. Should I bother wasting $100 on the HBS 2+2 app? I know they've accepted a few finance kids in recent classes although that's still not the target demographic. My background and ECs should be fairly compelling (I care deeply about freedom of expression/religion and I have been involved in leadership roles supporting such causes) but I'm also not a URM. Any thoughts?

Go for it. You have competitive stats, assuming you get the GMAT you indicated. Impressive internships. And it sounds like you also have leadership, initiative, and some fascinating interests, which could mean a "story" of interest. I vote yes!

If you'd like help with the app, please let me know.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 10:52
Hi,

I'm French, 25 y.o.
I got a Master of Science in Engineering (major in data sciences) with 3.75 GPA from one of the leading French graduate school of Engineering (ENSTA Paris).
I work for the General Inspection of a major French bank (it's a very selective Graduate program) 1y exp.
GMAT 700
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 11:27
I am 34 yo derivatives lawyer in an investment bank in London with 10 years of experience. I am mid to senior in my team. I have always liked the business side of the work and I have had exposure to automation and innovation projects over the last couple of years. The main driver to do an EMBA is to gain managerial skills (which is something I have always wanted to do) and fast-track my career. I know it is early and it might be better to wait at least a couple of years but I am wondering whether it might not be a good idea to apply this year to exploit lower competition and more time to prepare an application. I have spoken with Chicago Booth, HEC Paris and LBS and they have all been supportive when reviewing the CV. The main problem is financing - my employer will be supportive of me doing an EMBA but the chance they will fund me are remote. What are your views?
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 06:08
ypapandr wrote:
I am 34 yo derivatives lawyer in an investment bank in London with 10 years of experience. I am mid to senior in my team. I have always liked the business side of the work and I have had exposure to automation and innovation projects over the last couple of years. The main driver to do an EMBA is to gain managerial skills (which is something I have always wanted to do) and fast-track my career. I know it is early and it might be better to wait at least a couple of years but I am wondering whether it might not be a good idea to apply this year to exploit lower competition and more time to prepare an application. I have spoken with Chicago Booth, HEC Paris and LBS and they have all been supportive when reviewing the CV. The main problem is financing - my employer will be supportive of me doing an EMBA but the chance they will fund me are remote. What are your views?

Hi there - you're right that you're on the earlier end of experience, but I don't think 10 years will rule you out. Sounds like you have some interesting experience to draw upon and a unique perspective to add to the class - showcasing these points will be critical. Further, schools like reapplicants (shows determination and strong interest) so you could always go that route if this attempt is unsuccessful. Good luck!
Contact us for a Free Consultation!
Intern
Intern
S
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 07:00
In advance: Thank you for your time! :) This evaluation is for the class of 2023.

Demographic:
Indian Male 25
Undergrad: Electronics and Telecommunication Engg
Undergrad GPA: 2.78/4 (75th percentile). Overall rising graph and a strong finish with an avg of 3.43/4 for the final two semesters.
GMAT 750
Extra-curriculars in college: (A) Founded the entrepreneurship cell (B) Technical Head for college fest - led a team of 10 volunteers. (C) Dean's award for social service

Work experience:
3 years total with Teach for India. 1 month of international experience in the USA with Teach For America.

The First 2 years as a full-time teacher. I was given the additional responsibility of interviewing and selecting prospective candidates because of my sound critical thinking skills. In the third year, I joined them as an International Development Associate for their new US venture. I worked out of Mumbai, while the only other person working on this project, my manager worked out of NYC. Together we raised $500,000 in a year, and since this project was like an early-stage startup, I was tasked with many additional responsibilities such as board member recruiting & marketing.

Reason to get an MBA:
Long term: To work in an impact investing firm. Ties to my work experience - While fundraising I realized that traditional philanthropy is not sufficient to solve the complex challenges in the non-profit sector. I also enjoyed the Financial Accounting module in HBX CORe, and thus impact investing seemed to be the next logical step.

Short term: Investment banking (not necessarily at bulge bracket companies). I understand that getting into impact investing directly will be difficult and hence this can be a stepping stone.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 07:06
Hello experts,
My name is Anand Singh,

Can someone please help me review my profile.

Indian male, engineering (BIT mesra) 7.7 GPA. Was the hostel network secretary for 2 years in college. Also been a part of college fest sponsorship team(Have certificate for the network secretary but no certificate for the sponsorship team). Also participated and won a few tech competitions in college(robotics, circuit design challenges)

4 years work ex with PwC(all 4 years in the same firm)
I work as a tech consultant (SAP technology) and have been an integral part of multiple key projects.
I am positive i can get good recommendations both from my bosses and my clients as required.

Took GMAT once and scored a 700(Q50, V35). A bit lower than my expectations so will be retaking the exam in 2 months.

I also have been involved in community service in my village. (Helped set up a milk chilling centre for ITC ltd. with my brother which had a significant impact on the village economy).
Also involved in an initiative(non-governmental/self initiated) to provide skill based training to youngsters in the village

Besides these i am also working on a startup which provides an e-learning and testing platform(website: http://www.aicharya.com). The product and websites are still in development but we have managed to generate some interest using our personal and professional networks.

I also like to play basketball as my hobby. Have been a part of school team and also PwC corporate team(But do not have any certificates to show for it).

P

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 09:25
taninvv wrote:
Hi,

I'm French, 25 y.o.
I got a Master of Science in Engineering (major in data sciences) with 3.75 GPA from one of the leading French graduate school of Engineering (ENSTA Paris).
I work for the General Inspection of a major French bank (it's a very selective Graduate program) 1y exp.
GMAT 700

I'd encourage you to get more work experience, seek out leadership opportunities, and raise your GMAT. You at least have the time to raise your GMAT. All these steps will improve your chances at HBS and other top U.S. MBA program.

Best,
Linda

P

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 09:29
ypapandr wrote:

Thanks for the post.

You're fine to apply to EMBA programs with ten years of experience. I tend to agree with you regarding now being a good time to apply. In terms of financing, that's a personal decision. Funding from employers is increasingly unlikely so you have to decide if the benefits are worth the cost. And as I said that's a personal decision.

Best,
Linda

P

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 09:32
YashKothari94 wrote:
In advance: Thank you for your time! :) This evaluation is for the class of 2023.

Demographic:
Indian Male 25
Undergrad GPA: 2.78/4 (75th percentile). Overall rising graph and a strong finish with an avg of 3.43/4 for the final two semesters.
GMAT 750
Extra-curriculars in college: (A) Founded the entrepreneurship cell (B) Technical Head for college fest - led a team of 10 volunteers. (C) Dean's award for social service

Work experience:
3 years total with Teach for India. 1 month of international experience in the USA with Teach For America.

The First 2 years as a full-time teacher. I was given the additional responsibility of interviewing and selecting prospective candidates because of my sound critical thinking skills. In the third year, I joined them as an International Development Associate for their new US venture. I worked out of Mumbai, while the only other person working on this project, my manager worked out of NYC. Together we raised $500,000 in a year, and since this project was like an early-stage startup, I was tasked with many additional responsibilities such as board member recruiting & marketing.

Reason to get an MBA:
Long term: To work in an impact investing firm. Ties to my work experience - While fundraising I realized that traditional philanthropy is not sufficient to solve the complex challenges in the non-profit sector. I also enjoyed the Financial Accounting module in HBX CORe, and thus impact investing seemed to be the next logical step.

Short term: Investment banking (not necessarily at bulge bracket companies). I understand that getting into impact investing directly will be difficult and hence this can be a stepping stone.

Before I respond, can you clarify what you're doing now? And intend to do until the start of school? Is that still with Teach for India? Are you currently in the "third year" working as an Int'l Development Assoc.?

Linda

P

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 09:57
Wulfang wrote:
Hello experts,
My name is Anand Singh,

Can someone please help me review my profile.

Indian male, engineering (BIT mesra) 7.7 GPA. Was the hostel network secretary for 2 years in college. Also been a part of college fest sponsorship team(Have certificate for the network secretary but no certificate for the sponsorship team). Also participated and won a few tech competitions in college(robotics, circuit design challenges)

4 years work ex with PwC(all 4 years in the same firm)
I work as a tech consultant (SAP technology) and have been an integral part of multiple key projects.
I am positive i can get good recommendations both from my bosses and my clients as required.

Took GMAT once and scored a 700(Q50, V35). A bit lower than my expectations so will be retaking the exam in 2 months.

I also have been involved in community service in my village. (Helped set up a milk chilling centre for ITC ltd. with my brother which had a significant impact on the village economy).
Also involved in an initiative(non-governmental/self initiated) to provide skill based training to youngsters in the village

Besides these i am also working on a startup which provides an e-learning and testing platform(website: http://www.aicharya.com). The product and websites are still in development but we have managed to generate some interest using our personal and professional networks.

I also like to play basketball as my hobby. Have been a part of school team and also PwC corporate team(But do not have any certificates to show for it).

HI Anand,

Several suggestions to make yourself a more competitive applicants for HBS, because it's a stretch now.

1. Raise that quant score.
2. You describe mostly what you've done or been a part of, but not the specific impact your efforts have had. In your application, be more specific about your role in any initiative, and also be specific about the impact and contribution of that initiative.
3. You may have it, but I don't see in your post the kind of leadership that HBS students have. Make sure to either highlight it, if you have it, or to get it if you don't have it.
4. If you can obtain international exposure, that would be helpful, but it's not required.

Best,
Linda

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 10:30
Accepted.com wrote:
YashKothari94 wrote:

Demographic:
Indian Male 25
GMAT 750

Work experience:

Reason to get an MBA:

Before I respond, can you clarify what you're doing now? And intend to do until the start of school? Is that still with Teach for India? Are you currently in the "third year" working as an Int'l Development Assoc.?

Linda

Thank you for the reply, Linda.

I'm not working for the past 5 months because of a personal and grave emergency in my family. I'm however using the time to pick up Investment Banking skills and to connect with club leaders at my target schools. I should hopefully be able to land an IB internship by May-June.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2020, 10:30

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29    Next  [ 578 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: wabo22