GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 15:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Admission Consulting Services
Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 72
Location: United States
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 23:54
nikithaiyer5 wrote:
Some candid insights please.. posting it second time as no one reviewed it :/


24 yr / Inidan/ Female

UG: 60% - Electronics and Comm engineering

WE: Co-founder and President of NGO for the past 3 yrs
Under my leadership
-Organised national level training program by the Govt of India for two consecutive years,120+ participants from the country participated
-conducted various awareness programs in schools and college, including inter schools competitions
-established first and only rescue and rehab center in the north karnataka region
-successfully working in collaboration with district administration, municipal authority and police dept
and a bunch of other events organised. Literally, built the org from scratch.

Honorary Officer by Govt of India

GMAT: yet to give - aiming for 720+

Extra-curricular:
- actively participated/-ing in Clean India Mission-Ballari - wall painiting, awareness talks, suggesting innovative steps to tackle problems in association with district administration
- have organised free english classes for slum children around our centre
- sewing - does it sound out of context? i love to sew, though i never learnt it formally, have designed & stitched a lot for myself

Post MBA goals:
Short Term:
- open the first self sustainable world class charity hospital for stray animals in our district
- work on bringing CSR funds into animal welfare
- Help other NGOs with required resources to scale up

Long term:
- Expand the charity hospital
- Fund and facilitate research on alternative meat
- work on CSR initiatives

Background for my background:
i have always been an animal lover since childhood, and always had a dream to have a big property filled with animals, well fed and well taken care of. I always thought that it was something to be done when i was 50+. Back then, i never knew what the word "NGO" meant or never visited one or heard one. A very tragic incident when i was 19 yrs old, made me realize it was now, that i need to start one, and i did, from scratch.

Why HBS?

- HBS's general management course, most apt for me
- I believe the case study method will help me to become a better decision maker, my work demands to be one
- The importance leadership is given at HBS, be it clubs or classroom, i think i can make most out of it
- HBS's network will help me to scale up my work and achieve my goals
- Brand name credibility into my field
- HBS

Hi, thank you for sharing your background! You may try your chance at Harvard, if you come up with the following in your application: 1) reached your targeted GMAT score 720+; 2) show the real impact your NGO has made during the last years; 3) explain what your future hospital will change/achieve in your society and why it's really needed. A true leader can make impact and set realistic goals. Good luck!
_________________

Victoria, MBA Strategy Application Team Lead
Find a Lot of Answers to Top Schools Admissions on Our Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Mar 2017
Posts: 30
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 07:40
mbastrategycom wrote:
nikithaiyer5 wrote:
Some candid insights please.. posting it second time as no one reviewed it :/


24 yr / Inidan/ Female

UG: 60% - Electronics and Comm engineering

WE: Co-founder and President of NGO for the past 3 yrs
Under my leadership
-Organised national level training program by the Govt of India for two consecutive years,120+ participants from the country participated
-conducted various awareness programs in schools and college, including inter schools competitions
-established first and only rescue and rehab center in the north karnataka region
-successfully working in collaboration with district administration, municipal authority and police dept
and a bunch of other events organised. Literally, built the org from scratch.

Honorary Officer by Govt of India

GMAT: yet to give - aiming for 720+

Extra-curricular:
- actively participated/-ing in Clean India Mission-Ballari - wall painiting, awareness talks, suggesting innovative steps to tackle problems in association with district administration
- have organised free english classes for slum children around our centre
- sewing - does it sound out of context? i love to sew, though i never learnt it formally, have designed & stitched a lot for myself

Post MBA goals:
Short Term:
- open the first self sustainable world class charity hospital for stray animals in our district
- work on bringing CSR funds into animal welfare
- Help other NGOs with required resources to scale up

Long term:
- Expand the charity hospital
- Fund and facilitate research on alternative meat
- work on CSR initiatives

Background for my background:
i have always been an animal lover since childhood, and always had a dream to have a big property filled with animals, well fed and well taken care of. I always thought that it was something to be done when i was 50+. Back then, i never knew what the word "NGO" meant or never visited one or heard one. A very tragic incident when i was 19 yrs old, made me realize it was now, that i need to start one, and i did, from scratch.

Why HBS?

- HBS's general management course, most apt for me
- I believe the case study method will help me to become a better decision maker, my work demands to be one
- The importance leadership is given at HBS, be it clubs or classroom, i think i can make most out of it
- HBS's network will help me to scale up my work and achieve my goals
- Brand name credibility into my field
- HBS

Hi, thank you for sharing your background! You may try your chance at Harvard, if you come up with the following in your application: 1) reached your targeted GMAT score 720+; 2) show the real impact your NGO has made during the last years; 3) explain what your future hospital will change/achieve in your society and why it's really needed. A true leader can make impact and set realistic goals. Good luck!



Thank you..
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Posts: 26
Location: United States
Schools: Sloan '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V51
GPA: 3.85
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 11:23
Reposting my profile as i am very curious :)

Can you review me :)

Background and nationality: white female, born in the USA. but parents are from Israel and Morocco (but dont have dual citizen ship)
Undergrad Information: 3.85 math and psychology major from top liberal arts college
GMAT: 740
Work experience and leadership: 4 years at IBM in marketing. Also have been marketing director of Chinese street food startup based in NYC for 1 year
Community: mentor in two different programs where I work with NYC high school students on college admissions, job applications. Also part of a jewish youth movement
Post MBA goals: brand management/ start my own start up.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 1375
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 11:34
libiem2 wrote:
Reposting my profile as i am very curious :)
Hi libiem2, happy to review your profile below...
Can you review me :)

Background and nationality: white female, born in the USA. but parents are from Israel and Morocco (but dont have dual citizen ship)still you bring some interesting cross-cultural exposure!
Undergrad Information: 3.85 math and psychology major from top liberal arts college
GMAT: 740A great wow here!
Work experience and leadership: 4 years at IBM in marketing. Also have been marketing director of Chinese street food startup based in NYC for 1 year some very interesting work experience and the recent move to work with startup food group could differentiate you.
Community: mentor in two different programs where I work with NYC high school students on college admissions, job applications. Also part of a jewish youth movement
Post MBA goals: brand management/ start my own start up.
So you have an interesting background from what i see here- and there is no reason from your stats why you could not be accepted to HBS. However, that's not all you have to do! You also have to show "fit" and make the case that you are the kind of leader that HBS wants. For that, think about what your mission is- and how will HBS help you grow as a leader to be better able to achieve your goals. Honestly- my first thought when reading your profile here is that Haas might be a great fit because there is such a passion for food entrepreneurship there... so for whatever that is worth I'd look at Haas too! But in terms of HBS, think about what MORE you want them to know about you- your motivations, your skills that are not in the resume and can showcase you as a leader. For some general tips on HBS essays I refer you here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... hbs-essay/
Stratus has quite a long HBS pedigree as our company was started by an HBS grad and we have many counselors who are HBS alums- so if you want to work with an HBS grad to perfect your application please reach out to us for a free consult at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

_________________

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Sep 2017
Posts: 28
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.19
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 14:10
I'm curious :)

Background/Nationality: 27M, White, Dual citizen (US and EU Nation), born in the US.

Undergrad school/major: Georgetown SFS, International Economics, 3.185 GPA

Professional Qualifications: 5 years running my own Soccer Website Startup - we're now the second largest website devoted entirely to soccer in Latin America with 12 million likes across our Spanish and Portuguese Facebook Pages. Run a farm and general store in Upstate NY with family as well, with significant income generation.

Leadership: Run my own business of 25 people (based in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and Peru), reaching over 200 million people cumulatively per month. Honorary Captain of college football team for a practice.

GMAT: 750, 48Q/46V

Extra Curriculars: Powerlifter (going to qualify for nationals in 2018), SCUBA/Free Diver, Marksman, Community Development (helped in building a clinic and running community events), Wildlife Reintroduction (funded and managed wildlife reintroduction and preservation efforts near farm)

Goal of MBA: Want to enter Media/Entertainment Consulting and build up corporate experience I lack (tightening this up in application)


Thanks for taking time to read this and providing your insight! I realize Harvard is pretty reach-y though :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Posts: 2
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Oct 2017, 18:03
.

Originally posted by epiphany1234 on 06 Oct 2017, 09:04.
Last edited by epiphany1234 on 31 Oct 2017, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Admission Consulting Services
Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 72
Location: United States
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 03:05
42Danis wrote:
I'm curious :)

Background/Nationality: 27M, White, Dual citizen (US and EU Nation), born in the US.

Undergrad school/major: Georgetown SFS, International Economics, 3.185 GPA

Professional Qualifications: 5 years running my own Soccer Website Startup - we're now the second largest website devoted entirely to soccer in Latin America with 12 million likes across our Spanish and Portuguese Facebook Pages. Run a farm and general store in Upstate NY with family as well, with significant income generation.

Leadership: Run my own business of 25 people (based in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and Peru), reaching over 200 million people cumulatively per month. Honorary Captain of college football team for a practice.

GMAT: 750, 48Q/46V

Extra Curriculars: Powerlifter (going to qualify for nationals in 2018), SCUBA/Free Diver, Marksman, Community Development (helped in building a clinic and running community events), Wildlife Reintroduction (funded and managed wildlife reintroduction and preservation efforts near farm)

Goal of MBA: Want to enter Media/Entertainment Consulting and build up corporate experience I lack (tightening this up in application)


Thanks for taking time to read this and providing your insight! I realize Harvard is pretty reach-y though :)

Hi!
You're a great leader, who can realize ambitious goals, make complex decisions and manage multinational teams. Together with good GMAT these skills can be a good fundament for your application. Why are you seeking corporate experience? What is the reason to target Media/Entertainment Consulting? What are you going to do there (position/ideas/goals)? Elaborate your short-term and long-term MBA goals to help the AdComs understand you really need Harvard MBA
_________________

Victoria, MBA Strategy Application Team Lead
Find a Lot of Answers to Top Schools Admissions on Our Blog

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Location: United States (TX)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.46
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 13:23
1
Hi all, was hoping to get some feedback on my profile. Any input is appreciated!

GMAT: 750 (Q49, V42, 8 IR, 6 AWA)
GPA: 3.5/4 in Materials Science & Engineering at a Southern Ivy (Rice/Vanderbilt/Duke), awarded MSCI department's award for leadership as a senior.
Passed levels CFA levels 1 and 2

Extracurriculars during undergrad:
- Organizer of largest on-campus event, responsible for coordinating a week's worth of activities for a group of 300+ students. Worked with local businesses to sponsor the event, had 5-figure budget to work with, led team of 5 organizers
- Founder and president of club sports team
- Orientation advisor junior and senior years (highly competitive, ~10% of applicants are chosen to advise)
- Worked ~20 hours per week in nanotech research lab for 2.5 years on campus

Extracurriculars after graduation:
- Mentor for an inner-city youth baseball program
- Alumni admissions interviewer for alma mater
- Organizer of alumni affairs for the largest on-campus event mentioned above
- Play in amateur baseball league
- Occasionally foster for animal shelter (work hours permitting)

Work experience at time of application: (most recent first):

-1.5 years at boutique RIA in Texas ($6B AUM). Not much history of sending people to B-school, though almost all of senior mangement/C-Suite has MBA from top-10 schools. Started as an analyst on fixed income desk, after 9 months was promoted to associate and given PM-like responsibility for management of a $300M strategy (though no official PM or junior PM title). Expect to have responsibility for another strategy by the time I apply, bringing total AUM I am responsible for to ~$400M. Still have large analytical role with other fixed income strategies, use engineering background for coding & data analysis.

- 6 months as financial advisor with F100 insurance firm. Started here because I wanted to transition into investment management, left because role was more focused on sales than making investment decisions. Concerned this is a very weak part of my application.

- 1.5 years as management consultant in energy department for bronze-tier consulting firm with tech focus (think Quorum, Infosys, etc). Had projects on O&G supermajor & international government client, led offshore teams of 5-10 people on each project.

- Internship with NASA in R&D group as an undergrad. Worked with materials engineers to develop a prototype which was approved for further testing by management.

MBA goal: want to get MBA from top finance program to gain a formal finance education. Currently have very strong analytical skills stemming from engineering background but lack understanding of what makes a successful business tick, which I believe is of utmost importance for investment management. CFA curriculum has filled some of this gap, but is mainly focused on valuation. Also believe I need to improve soft skills to one day lead a team of analysts.

Post MBA goal: Junior PM or similar type role at major asset management firm, preferably one with fixed income focus (PIMCO/DoubleLine/TCW). Long-term goal is to become Chief Investment Officer of an AM firm.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2017
Posts: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.97
Application for HBS 2+2 Program - Chances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 12:01
I am a graduate student pursuing my Master's of Science in Accounting at the University of Texas at Arlington, which I started straight after completing my undergraduate degree as a double major in accounting and finance. I am planning to apply to the HBS 2+2 program in April 2018.

I completed my undergraduate degree in 3 years (did not bring any credits in). Was part of the Honors College, and completed the requirements for an Honors degree. I have co-authored two academic publications during my undergraduate career: one in accounting and one in finance. I was awarded a federal grant by the Federal Highway Administration to pursue research in accounting. I am also writing another academic paper in my Master's. I had enough merit-based scholarships to be on a full-ride in my senior year. I also have enough merit-based scholarships to be on a full-ride throughout my graduate studies right now. I am international student from India.

I completed a year of internship with American Airlines in their Corporate Accounting Department. I spent one month with the PCAOB in Washington DC this summer as an intern, though had to leave the internship mid-way because of a health concern. I am also a table tennis player, and play for the UTA table tennis team (top four players in the university. Some stats below:

Overall GPA: 3.971/4.00
Major GPA: 4.00/4.00
GMAT Score: 740 (Q 49 , V 41, IR 6, AWA 6)

I want to pursue the CPA certification. I wanted to know of my chances for the 2+2 program, and if I should be aware of anything. Also, needed some advice regarding my quant score in the GMAT (I have heard a 50 or a 51 is coveted; I am sure I can secure either one in a second attempt). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2017
Posts: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.97
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 22:00
1
I am a graduate student pursuing my Master's of Science in Accounting at the University of Texas at Arlington, which I started straight after completing my undergraduate degree as a double major in accounting and finance. I am planning to apply to the HBS 2+2 program in April 2018.

I completed my undergraduate degree in 3 years (did not bring any credits in). Was part of the Honors College, and completed the requirements for an Honors degree. I have co-authored two academic publications during my undergraduate career: one in accounting and one in finance. I was awarded a federal grant by the Federal Highway Administration to pursue research in accounting. I am also writing another academic paper in my Master's. I had enough merit-based scholarships to be on a full-ride in my senior year. I also have enough merit-based scholarships to be on a full-ride throughout my graduate studies right now. I am international student from India.

I completed a year of internship with American Airlines in their Corporate Accounting Department. I spent one month with the PCAOB in Washington DC this summer as an intern, though had to leave the internship mid-way because of a health concern. I am also a table tennis player, and play for the UTA table tennis team (top four players in the university. Some stats below:

Overall GPA: 3.971/4.00
Major GPA: 4.00/4.00
GMAT Score: 740 (Q 49 , V 41, IR 6, AWA 6)

I want to pursue the CPA certification. I wanted to know of my chances for the 2+2 program, and if I should be aware of anything. Also, needed some advice regarding my quant score in the GMAT (I have heard a 50 or a 51 is coveted; I am sure I can secure either one in a second attempt). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 16:39
Hi, I graduated from IIT Kharagpur( Top Engineering school in India ) with 4.0 GPA equivalent.

I already have a MBA equivalent (PGDM) from IIM Ahmedabad. I plan to pursue a second MBA to further my international career. I was extra academics and international experience. I work as a Product Marketing Manager. I hold a GMAT score of 780. 2+ years of experience.

What are my chances of converting?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 17:40
Mathivathan wrote:
Hi, I graduated from IIT Kharagpur( Top Engineering school in India ) with 4.0 GPA equivalent.

I already have a MBA equivalent (PGDM) from IIM Ahmedabad. I plan to pursue a second MBA to further my international career. I was extra academics and international experience. I work as a Product Marketing Manager. I hold a GMAT score of 780. 2+ years of experience.

What are my chances of converting?


If I were you, I would retake the GMAT until I scored a 790, then ask the question again.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 1375
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 13:14
IndEng wrote:
Hi,
Just seeing this today- I hope R1 went well- but if not- there is still time to focus on Round 2 and put in solid applications. How did it go so far?
I plan to apply for an MBA program starting Fall 2018. Can someone please have a look at my profile and provide your feedback? Thanks!

Indian male

Work Experience:
Senior Consultant at a top 5 Technology and Strategy consulting firm (will have 3.5+ years of experience at the time of starting school)

Academic Qualifications:
1. M.S. in Engg. GPA - 3.5+ (top three Ivy league school)
2. B.E. in Engg. GPA - 3.3+ (top 10 Engg. School in India, graduated in the top 10% of the class)
Gender - Male
GMAT: 740
List of Schools I plan on applying to: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Stanford, Sloan, Kellogg, Columbia
Extra Curricular Activities - Was moderately involved in social service activities while pursuing my Bachelors and inter college level activities as well. Haven't been able to pursue much post graduation.
I would also suggest that you think more broadly about how you have led and been engaged in all areas of your life since college- are you leading a firm wide activity? Organizing events that build the culture? Think creatively about how you can show leadership even if you lack lots of "official" club roles now- and also keep thinking about how you are giving back. If you do want to get more feedback, we encourage you to reach out for a free consult at this link:
re you still waiting to hear from adcom after your Round 1 application was submitted?
No interview, but no denial? Don't know where you stand? If so, read these tips and best wishes on Round 2 and hearing good news in the future!
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ach-adcom/

And we are always just a click away to help you with any questions in your MBA applications. For a free consult, sign up at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Areas of Interest in MBA - Business Analytics, Management in Tech Space

_________________

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Oct 2016
Posts: 5
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 17:23
Background and nationality: Spanish, 29Y

Undergrad Information: Bachelor in Laws and Bachelor in Business Administration at Univ. Carlos III de Madrid (1st ranked Spanish University in both degrees) 3.2GPA

Grad Information: none

GMAT: 700 (Q49, V36)

TOEFL: 110

Work experience and leadership:
Associate attorney in Allen&Overy (Magic Circle firm) for four years. I have lead major transactions in the Spanish and European markets at a relatively young age with strong recognition from colleagues, clients and competition.

Post MBA goals: Lead the change in the management of law firms.

Extracurricular: Member of the Alle&Overy Pro-Bono Committee. Strongly involved in community work and pro-bono activities. Sports person with special interest in skiing, sailing, horse riding and basketball. History fan, particularly regarding The Discovery of America and the Iron Chancellor Governement period in Prussia.
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 875
Reviews Badge
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 06:18
IndEng wrote:
Hi,

I plan to apply for an MBA program starting Fall 2018. Can someone please have a look at my profile and provide your feedback? Thanks!

Indian male

Work Experience:
Senior Consultant at a top 5 Technology and Strategy consulting firm (will have 3.5+ years of experience at the time of starting school)

Academic Qualifications:
1. M.S. in Engg. GPA - 3.5+ (top three Ivy league school)
2. B.E. in Engg. GPA - 3.3+ (top 10 Engg. School in India, graduated in the top 10% of the class)
Gender - Male
GMAT: 740
List of Schools I plan on applying to: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Stanford, Sloan, Kellogg, Columbia
Extra Curricular Activities - Was moderately involved in social service activities while pursuing my Bachelors and inter college level activities as well. Haven't been able to pursue much post graduation.

Areas of Interest in MBA - Business Analytics, Management in Tech Space


Lots of potential here, as already stated, but missing the wow factor for now. Therefore it would help if you could elaborate on your post MBA goal, why you’ve chosen the specific schools you mentioned, if there is anything in your background that could help you stand out from the crowd as well as any measurable, impressive achievements during your work experience or your extra curricular activities.

If you are not sure what adcoms are looking for when it comes to this, the ARINGO team would be more than happy to help you come up with some ideas of course, so if so, feel free to be in touch.

But without some “secret sauce”, so to speak, that helps differentiate you from other Indian applicants I am not super optimistic about your chances, so you really do need to find something unique to focus on in your applications.

Good luck!
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 1
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 08:58
Nationality: Indian, Age: 23 years
I'm a working women in India.
I have a bachelors degree in Economics, GPA: 3.5
I have a working experience of three years in finance.
GMAT score:720
I'm planning to apply in the following school:
HBS
Stanford
Yale
ISB
What are my chances?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Apr 2017
Posts: 14
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q162 V164
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 00:08
I am a Masters student and will be applying to the deferred programmes in a few months (HBS 2+2 & Stanford). Please note that I am a reapplicant to the HBS 2+2 and Stanford deferred entry programmes. I applied last year and was dinged w/out interview at both these schools. However, my profile has changed substantially since then (I have provided a brief overview of the changes compared to last year at the end of this post).

Undergraduate College: Imperial College London, Masters in Engineering (Integrated Masters degree), First Class Honours (3.7 GPA in US Grading System, I think.)

Graduate School: University of Oxford; MSc Finance & Economics

Post-Grad School Job Lined Up: Bain & Company - Associate Consultant; Starting Jan 2019

GMAT: 750 (Q50/V41)

Previous Internships: Bank of New York Mellon (Technology Summer Analyst), American Bulge Bracket Bank (Trading Summer Analyst)

Extracurriculars: VP of Finance Society (2015-16; 3000+ members; led a 25 student team); Co-Founder of Investment Club (2015-16; Led a team of 15 students; Since its inception 2 years ago, it has become one of the largest societies on campus); Vice-Captain of Varsity Cricket Team (Led a squad of 15 students and helped the team qualify from Division 3 to 2); Member of Varsity Table Tennis squad.

What has changed since last year? - GMAT 720 increased to 750; Additional Degree (Oxford); Had no job lined up when I applied last year, this year I have an offer from Bain & Co. to join as an Associate Consultant; Undergraduate Grade was 2nd Class (2:1) which is 3.3/3.4 GPA in the US I believe, I ultimately graduated with a First Class (1:1) grade, which is a 3.7 US GPA.

Post-MBA Goal: Return to Bain for 2-3 years (hoping to get them to fund the MBA) and then move into a Strategy role at a global tech firm (Apple, Google, FB, etc.) to work at the intersection of business, technology and finance, which I think fits in with my story so far.

Thank you!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: Prepping for GMAT
Joined: 06 Nov 2017
Posts: 20
Location: France
GPA: 4
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 02:17
rs5713 wrote:
I am a Masters student and will be applying to the deferred programmes in a few months (HBS 2+2 & Stanford). Please note that I am a reapplicant to the HBS 2+2 and Stanford deferred entry programmes. I applied last year and was dinged w/out interview at both these schools. However, my profile has changed substantially since then (I have provided a brief overview of the changes compared to last year at the end of this post).

Undergraduate College: Imperial College London, Masters in Engineering (Integrated Masters degree), First Class Honours (3.7 GPA in US Grading System, I think.)

Graduate School: University of Oxford; MSc Finance & Economics

Post-Grad School Job Lined Up: Bain & Company - Associate Consultant; Starting Jan 2019

GMAT: 750 (Q50/V41)

Previous Internships: Bank of New York Mellon (Technology Summer Analyst), American Bulge Bracket Bank (Trading Summer Analyst)

Extracurriculars: VP of Finance Society (2015-16; 3000+ members; led a 25 student team); Co-Founder of Investment Club (2015-16; Led a team of 15 students; Since its inception 2 years ago, it has become one of the largest societies on campus); Vice-Captain of Varsity Cricket Team (Led a squad of 15 students and helped the team qualify from Division 3 to 2); Member of Varsity Table Tennis squad.

What has changed since last year? - GMAT 720 increased to 750; Additional Degree (Oxford); Had no job lined up when I applied last year, this year I have an offer from Bain & Co. to join as an Associate Consultant; Undergraduate Grade was 2nd Class (2:1) which is 3.3/3.4 GPA in the US I believe, I ultimately graduated with a First Class (1:1) grade, which is a 3.7 US GPA.

Post-MBA Goal: Return to Bain for 2-3 years (hoping to get them to fund the MBA) and then move into a Strategy role at a global tech firm (Apple, Google, FB, etc.) to work at the intersection of business, technology and finance, which I think fits in with my story so far.

Thank you!!


Here's a rough assessment based on my experience with MBA admissions and pending an actual review from a professional admission consultant:

- Numbers-wise, your profile is solid. The improvements are palpable and it shows that you've made a considerable effort in improving the attractiveness of your profile from an academic perspective.

- That being said, your profile, for all its impressiveness, is generic: Finance+Consulting is the quintessential profile archetype of the MBA applicant. Which means that you will be up against a lot of folks with a similar background and, potentially, better GPA and GMAT numbers. This is especially true for the deferred programs.

- The extracurriculars, while they do demonstrate leadership experience, are bland to be honest. They're restricted to activities on your campus and do not extend beyond that. The only impressive one that I can see is helping your Cricket Team move from Div 3 to 2. If you do get an interview this time around, then you should emphasize on how you went about helping your team achieve the move, what you have learned from the experience and how that applies to your post-MBA goals.

- Your post-MBA goals are pretty generic, missing what the adcoms call the "wow factor". You want to do an MBA just so that you can move to a tech company at a strategic role. While that's fine, in and of itself, a lot of applicants have the same aspiration as you do. It does not truly set you apart from the rest of the applicant pool.

All in all, I would recommend that you continue improving your profile and properly think about your post-MBA goals and why you'd like to do an MBA in general. You're on the right track numbers-wise, but the numbers are not the only part of the application the adcoms look into.

Best of luck.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Dec 2017
Posts: 19
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V50
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 23:51
Hey all,

I'd first like to say thanks for the help. I'm in the midst of applying for the HBS 2+2 and similar programs now and am looking for any suggestions on how to improve my applications / what to emphasise on my profile.

My Profile -
Asian-Singaporean, ethnic Chinese
GMAT: 780 (Q51, V45), AWA 5.5
Undergrad Degree: LLB Law, Durham University, UK (currently in my final year)
Grades: Low 2.1, 62% average
Extra-curricular activities:
- Participated in a few Europe business games, placed in finals for a couple challenges
- Various student club leadership positions at university (pretty law-related)
- captain of college basketball team (more of a school club thing rather than university-level competition)
Work Experience:
- 1 internship at a small tech startup
- 3 internships at big law firms in Singapore (M&A, Intellectual Property, Commercial work)
- 2 years in the Singapore military as a sergeant (probably will not emphasize this)

My weaknesses I feel would be my poor undergraduate grades and not-too-exemplary extra-curricular activities. Most of my previous work experience has been law-related as I've only recently come to a decision to not pursue the law path.

My dream in the long haul would be to do an MBA in the US at a reputable business school and work in the US afterward. My short-term goal would be to do an MiM in Europe, preferably London, and to go into consulting after for a few years, hopefully MBB but also at other firms such as Strategy&, etc.

The schools I am applying to are:
US, MBAs - HBS 2+2, Yale SOM
UK, MiM - LBS, LSE, Imperial College London
Paris, MiM - HEC Paris

Would like advice on my profile for Masters applications and the viability of me getting into these schools. Also on which schools would give me the best chance of getting into the MBB consulting firms, or if there are any schools I may have overlooked. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 11:17
Hi my name is Shardul please find below my profile for evaluation. Highly appreciate for this great help.

Nationality: Indian; Male 27 yrs

Undergrad: Btech Civil, from 5th ranking National institute of Technology, with CGPA 9.15/10

Work experience: Employed in India's premium Oil &Gas Consultancy (a Public sector undertaking) since 2012 (work exp of 5 yrs)

The entire work exp can be broken down into 2 parts :
1. Construction site experience
a. Posted for 1 year at the esteemed site for Strategic storage of Crude oil (at Mangalore India) wherein facilities were being constructed to store crude in underground caverns. Job responsibilities included contract handling, site inspection (including inspection in underground rock caverns) , quality control, implementation of safety at site.
b. Posted for 1.5 years at a refinery expansion project ( Kochi, India) wherein entrusted with the civil structural works for the important Crude distillation unit of refinery. Job responsibilities included preparation of a green field site, handling of a contract amounting to 35 million USD which involved leading a team of 15 persons, site inspection, progress monitoring & expediting, material inspection within & outside site, billing ( completed billing of the value of 14 million USD) quality control.
2.Design office experience ( work exp 2.5 yrs , continued till date)
a. Leading a team of 6 persons ( for the civil portion) to provide EPCM services for the upcoming Refinery & Petrochemical project in Nigeria ( largest project in entire Africa) Job responsibilities include designing of underground facilities & utilities, preparation of drawings , imparting training to the Nigerian counterparts , progress monitoring, providing assistance to site construction engineers, constant interaction with client.
I don't have any on site International job experience. I have received a promotion last year.

GMAT: yet to be taken but targeting a score of 740 to 750

Extracurricular: Not much to show. Have received professional training in Harmonium ( completed 4 professional exams), actively performed in various cultural activities during schooling, during college my team was one among the top 3 teams of west India in the INSDAG competition( an all India competition for steel design)

Post MBA goal : I want to shift from Oil & gas industry ( as all countries are moving from oil towards more environmental friendly options) and enter into strategy consulting and have an inclination to enter into M&A roles ( would explain more efficiently while writing my essays)

Once again thank you for your help.
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 26 Dec 2017, 11:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13    Next  [ 242 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.