GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 May 2018, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.46
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all, was hoping to get some feedback on my profile. Any input is appreciated!

GMAT: 750 (Q49, V42, 8 IR, 6 AWA)
GPA: 3.5/4 in Materials Science & Engineering at a Southern Ivy (Rice/Vanderbilt/Duke), awarded MSCI department's award for leadership as a senior.
Passed levels CFA levels 1 and 2

Extracurriculars during undergrad:
- Organizer of largest on-campus event, responsible for coordinating a week's worth of activities for a group of 300+ students. Worked with local businesses to sponsor the event, had 5-figure budget to work with, led team of 5 organizers
- Founder and president of club sports team
- Orientation advisor junior and senior years (highly competitive, ~10% of applicants are chosen to advise)
- Worked ~20 hours per week in nanotech research lab for 2.5 years on campus

Extracurriculars after graduation:
- Mentor for an inner-city youth baseball program
- Alumni admissions interviewer for alma mater
- Organizer of alumni affairs for the largest on-campus event mentioned above
- Play in amateur baseball league
- Occasionally foster for animal shelter (work hours permitting)

Work experience at time of application: (most recent first):

-1.5 years at boutique RIA in Texas ($6B AUM). Not much history of sending people to B-school, though almost all of senior mangement/C-Suite has MBA from top-10 schools. Started as an analyst on fixed income desk, after 9 months was promoted to associate and given PM-like responsibility for management of a $300M strategy (though no official PM or junior PM title). Expect to have responsibility for another strategy by the time I apply, bringing total AUM I am responsible for to ~$400M. Still have large analytical role with other fixed income strategies, use engineering background for coding & data analysis.

- 6 months as financial advisor with F100 insurance firm. Started here because I wanted to transition into investment management, left because role was more focused on sales than making investment decisions. Concerned this is a very weak part of my application.

- 1.5 years as management consultant in energy department for bronze-tier consulting firm with tech focus (think Quorum, Infosys, etc). Had projects on O&G supermajor & international government client, led offshore teams of 5-10 people on each project.

- Internship with NASA in R&D group as an undergrad. Worked with materials engineers to develop a prototype which was approved for further testing by management.

MBA goal: want to get MBA from top finance program to gain a formal finance education. Currently have very strong analytical skills stemming from engineering background but lack understanding of what makes a successful business tick, which I believe is of utmost importance for investment management. CFA curriculum has filled some of this gap, but is mainly focused on valuation. Also believe I need to improve soft skills to one day lead a team of analysts.

Post MBA goal: Junior PM or similar type role at major asset management firm, preferably one with fixed income focus (PIMCO/DoubleLine/TCW). Long-term goal is to become Chief Investment Officer of an AM firm.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.97
Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 22:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am a graduate student pursuing my Master's of Science in Accounting at the University of Texas at Arlington, which I started straight after completing my undergraduate degree as a double major in accounting and finance. I am planning to apply to the HBS 2+2 program in April 2018.

I completed my undergraduate degree in 3 years (did not bring any credits in). Was part of the Honors College, and completed the requirements for an Honors degree. I have co-authored two academic publications during my undergraduate career: one in accounting and one in finance. I was awarded a federal grant by the Federal Highway Administration to pursue research in accounting. I am also writing another academic paper in my Master's. I had enough merit-based scholarships to be on a full-ride in my senior year. I also have enough merit-based scholarships to be on a full-ride throughout my graduate studies right now. I am international student from India.

I completed a year of internship with American Airlines in their Corporate Accounting Department. I spent one month with the PCAOB in Washington DC this summer as an intern, though had to leave the internship mid-way because of a health concern. I am also a table tennis player, and play for the UTA table tennis team (top four players in the university. Some stats below:

Overall GPA: 3.971/4.00
Major GPA: 4.00/4.00
GMAT Score: 740 (Q 49 , V 41, IR 6, AWA 6)

I want to pursue the CPA certification. I wanted to know of my chances for the 2+2 program, and if I should be aware of anything. Also, needed some advice regarding my quant score in the GMAT (I have heard a 50 or a 51 is coveted; I am sure I can secure either one in a second attempt). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 16:39
Hi, I graduated from IIT Kharagpur( Top Engineering school in India ) with 4.0 GPA equivalent.

I already have a MBA equivalent (PGDM) from IIM Ahmedabad. I plan to pursue a second MBA to further my international career. I was extra academics and international experience. I work as a Product Marketing Manager. I hold a GMAT score of 780. 2+ years of experience.

What are my chances of converting?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 17:40
Mathivathan wrote:
Hi, I graduated from IIT Kharagpur( Top Engineering school in India ) with 4.0 GPA equivalent.

I already have a MBA equivalent (PGDM) from IIM Ahmedabad. I plan to pursue a second MBA to further my international career. I was extra academics and international experience. I work as a Product Marketing Manager. I hold a GMAT score of 780. 2+ years of experience.

What are my chances of converting?

If I were you, I would retake the GMAT until I scored a 790, then ask the question again.
Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 13:14
IndEng wrote:
Hi,
Just seeing this today- I hope R1 went well- but if not- there is still time to focus on Round 2 and put in solid applications. How did it go so far?
I plan to apply for an MBA program starting Fall 2018. Can someone please have a look at my profile and provide your feedback? Thanks!

Indian male

Work Experience:
Senior Consultant at a top 5 Technology and Strategy consulting firm (will have 3.5+ years of experience at the time of starting school)

Academic Qualifications:
1. M.S. in Engg. GPA - 3.5+ (top three Ivy league school)
2. B.E. in Engg. GPA - 3.3+ (top 10 Engg. School in India, graduated in the top 10% of the class)
Gender - Male
GMAT: 740
List of Schools I plan on applying to: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Stanford, Sloan, Kellogg, Columbia
Extra Curricular Activities - Was moderately involved in social service activities while pursuing my Bachelors and inter college level activities as well. Haven't been able to pursue much post graduation.
I would also suggest that you think more broadly about how you have led and been engaged in all areas of your life since college- are you leading a firm wide activity? Organizing events that build the culture? Think creatively about how you can show leadership even if you lack lots of "official" club roles now- and also keep thinking about how you are giving back. If you do want to get more feedback, we encourage you to reach out for a free consult at this link:
re you still waiting to hear from adcom after your Round 1 application was submitted?
No interview, but no denial? Don't know where you stand? If so, read these tips and best wishes on Round 2 and hearing good news in the future!
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ach-adcom/

And we are always just a click away to help you with any questions in your MBA applications. For a free consult, sign up at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Areas of Interest in MBA - Business Analytics, Management in Tech Space

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 17:23
Background and nationality: Spanish, 29Y

Undergrad Information: Bachelor in Laws and Bachelor in Business Administration at Univ. Carlos III de Madrid (1st ranked Spanish University in both degrees) 3.2GPA

Grad Information: none

GMAT: 700 (Q49, V36)

TOEFL: 110

Work experience and leadership:
Associate attorney in Allen&Overy (Magic Circle firm) for four years. I have lead major transactions in the Spanish and European markets at a relatively young age with strong recognition from colleagues, clients and competition.

Post MBA goals: Lead the change in the management of law firms.

Extracurricular: Member of the Alle&Overy Pro-Bono Committee. Strongly involved in community work and pro-bono activities. Sports person with special interest in skiing, sailing, horse riding and basketball. History fan, particularly regarding The Discovery of America and the Iron Chancellor Governement period in Prussia.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 06:18
IndEng wrote:
Hi,

I plan to apply for an MBA program starting Fall 2018. Can someone please have a look at my profile and provide your feedback? Thanks!

Indian male

Work Experience:
Senior Consultant at a top 5 Technology and Strategy consulting firm (will have 3.5+ years of experience at the time of starting school)

Academic Qualifications:
1. M.S. in Engg. GPA - 3.5+ (top three Ivy league school)
2. B.E. in Engg. GPA - 3.3+ (top 10 Engg. School in India, graduated in the top 10% of the class)
Gender - Male
GMAT: 740
List of Schools I plan on applying to: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Stanford, Sloan, Kellogg, Columbia
Extra Curricular Activities - Was moderately involved in social service activities while pursuing my Bachelors and inter college level activities as well. Haven't been able to pursue much post graduation.

Areas of Interest in MBA - Business Analytics, Management in Tech Space

Lots of potential here, as already stated, but missing the wow factor for now. Therefore it would help if you could elaborate on your post MBA goal, why you’ve chosen the specific schools you mentioned, if there is anything in your background that could help you stand out from the crowd as well as any measurable, impressive achievements during your work experience or your extra curricular activities.

If you are not sure what adcoms are looking for when it comes to this, the ARINGO team would be more than happy to help you come up with some ideas of course, so if so, feel free to be in touch.

But without some “secret sauce”, so to speak, that helps differentiate you from other Indian applicants I am not super optimistic about your chances, so you really do need to find something unique to focus on in your applications.

Good luck!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 08:58
Nationality: Indian, Age: 23 years
I'm a working women in India.
I have a bachelors degree in Economics, GPA: 3.5
I have a working experience of three years in finance.
GMAT score:720
I'm planning to apply in the following school:
HBS
Stanford
Yale
ISB
What are my chances?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 00:08
I am a Masters student and will be applying to the deferred programmes in a few months (HBS 2+2 & Stanford). Please note that I am a reapplicant to the HBS 2+2 and Stanford deferred entry programmes. I applied last year and was dinged w/out interview at both these schools. However, my profile has changed substantially since then (I have provided a brief overview of the changes compared to last year at the end of this post).

Undergraduate College: Imperial College London, Masters in Engineering (Integrated Masters degree), First Class Honours (3.7 GPA in US Grading System, I think.)

Graduate School: University of Oxford; MSc Finance & Economics

Post-Grad School Job Lined Up: Bain & Company - Associate Consultant; Starting Jan 2019

GMAT: 750 (Q50/V41)

Previous Internships: Bank of New York Mellon (Technology Summer Analyst), American Bulge Bracket Bank (Trading Summer Analyst)

Extracurriculars: VP of Finance Society (2015-16; 3000+ members; led a 25 student team); Co-Founder of Investment Club (2015-16; Led a team of 15 students; Since its inception 2 years ago, it has become one of the largest societies on campus); Vice-Captain of Varsity Cricket Team (Led a squad of 15 students and helped the team qualify from Division 3 to 2); Member of Varsity Table Tennis squad.

What has changed since last year? - GMAT 720 increased to 750; Additional Degree (Oxford); Had no job lined up when I applied last year, this year I have an offer from Bain & Co. to join as an Associate Consultant; Undergraduate Grade was 2nd Class (2:1) which is 3.3/3.4 GPA in the US I believe, I ultimately graduated with a First Class (1:1) grade, which is a 3.7 US GPA.

Post-MBA Goal: Return to Bain for 2-3 years (hoping to get them to fund the MBA) and then move into a Strategy role at a global tech firm (Apple, Google, FB, etc.) to work at the intersection of business, technology and finance, which I think fits in with my story so far.

Thank you!!
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 02:17
rs5713 wrote:
I am a Masters student and will be applying to the deferred programmes in a few months (HBS 2+2 & Stanford). Please note that I am a reapplicant to the HBS 2+2 and Stanford deferred entry programmes. I applied last year and was dinged w/out interview at both these schools. However, my profile has changed substantially since then (I have provided a brief overview of the changes compared to last year at the end of this post).

Undergraduate College: Imperial College London, Masters in Engineering (Integrated Masters degree), First Class Honours (3.7 GPA in US Grading System, I think.)

Graduate School: University of Oxford; MSc Finance & Economics

Post-Grad School Job Lined Up: Bain & Company - Associate Consultant; Starting Jan 2019

GMAT: 750 (Q50/V41)

Previous Internships: Bank of New York Mellon (Technology Summer Analyst), American Bulge Bracket Bank (Trading Summer Analyst)

Extracurriculars: VP of Finance Society (2015-16; 3000+ members; led a 25 student team); Co-Founder of Investment Club (2015-16; Led a team of 15 students; Since its inception 2 years ago, it has become one of the largest societies on campus); Vice-Captain of Varsity Cricket Team (Led a squad of 15 students and helped the team qualify from Division 3 to 2); Member of Varsity Table Tennis squad.

What has changed since last year? - GMAT 720 increased to 750; Additional Degree (Oxford); Had no job lined up when I applied last year, this year I have an offer from Bain & Co. to join as an Associate Consultant; Undergraduate Grade was 2nd Class (2:1) which is 3.3/3.4 GPA in the US I believe, I ultimately graduated with a First Class (1:1) grade, which is a 3.7 US GPA.

Post-MBA Goal: Return to Bain for 2-3 years (hoping to get them to fund the MBA) and then move into a Strategy role at a global tech firm (Apple, Google, FB, etc.) to work at the intersection of business, technology and finance, which I think fits in with my story so far.

Thank you!!

Here's a rough assessment based on my experience with MBA admissions and pending an actual review from a professional admission consultant:

- Numbers-wise, your profile is solid. The improvements are palpable and it shows that you've made a considerable effort in improving the attractiveness of your profile from an academic perspective.

- That being said, your profile, for all its impressiveness, is generic: Finance+Consulting is the quintessential profile archetype of the MBA applicant. Which means that you will be up against a lot of folks with a similar background and, potentially, better GPA and GMAT numbers. This is especially true for the deferred programs.

- The extracurriculars, while they do demonstrate leadership experience, are bland to be honest. They're restricted to activities on your campus and do not extend beyond that. The only impressive one that I can see is helping your Cricket Team move from Div 3 to 2. If you do get an interview this time around, then you should emphasize on how you went about helping your team achieve the move, what you have learned from the experience and how that applies to your post-MBA goals.

- Your post-MBA goals are pretty generic, missing what the adcoms call the "wow factor". You want to do an MBA just so that you can move to a tech company at a strategic role. While that's fine, in and of itself, a lot of applicants have the same aspiration as you do. It does not truly set you apart from the rest of the applicant pool.

All in all, I would recommend that you continue improving your profile and properly think about your post-MBA goals and why you'd like to do an MBA in general. You're on the right track numbers-wise, but the numbers are not the only part of the application the adcoms look into.

Best of luck.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V50

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 23:51
Hey all,

I'd first like to say thanks for the help. I'm in the midst of applying for the HBS 2+2 and similar programs now and am looking for any suggestions on how to improve my applications / what to emphasise on my profile.

My Profile -
Asian-Singaporean, ethnic Chinese
GMAT: 780 (Q51, V45), AWA 5.5
Undergrad Degree: LLB Law, Durham University, UK (currently in my final year)
Grades: Low 2.1, 62% average
Extra-curricular activities:
- Participated in a few Europe business games, placed in finals for a couple challenges
- Various student club leadership positions at university (pretty law-related)
- captain of college basketball team (more of a school club thing rather than university-level competition)
Work Experience:
- 1 internship at a small tech startup
- 3 internships at big law firms in Singapore (M&A, Intellectual Property, Commercial work)
- 2 years in the Singapore military as a sergeant (probably will not emphasize this)

My weaknesses I feel would be my poor undergraduate grades and not-too-exemplary extra-curricular activities. Most of my previous work experience has been law-related as I've only recently come to a decision to not pursue the law path.

My dream in the long haul would be to do an MBA in the US at a reputable business school and work in the US afterward. My short-term goal would be to do an MiM in Europe, preferably London, and to go into consulting after for a few years, hopefully MBB but also at other firms such as Strategy&, etc.

The schools I am applying to are:
US, MBAs - HBS 2+2, Yale SOM
UK, MiM - LBS, LSE, Imperial College London
Paris, MiM - HEC Paris

Would like advice on my profile for Masters applications and the viability of me getting into these schools. Also on which schools would give me the best chance of getting into the MBB consulting firms, or if there are any schools I may have overlooked. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 11:17
Hi my name is Shardul please find below my profile for evaluation. Highly appreciate for this great help.

Nationality: Indian; Male 27 yrs

Undergrad: Btech Civil, from 5th ranking National institute of Technology, with CGPA 9.15/10

Work experience: Employed in India's premium Oil &Gas Consultancy (a Public sector undertaking) since 2012 (work exp of 5 yrs)

The entire work exp can be broken down into 2 parts :
1. Construction site experience
a. Posted for 1 year at the esteemed site for Strategic storage of Crude oil (at Mangalore India) wherein facilities were being constructed to store crude in underground caverns. Job responsibilities included contract handling, site inspection (including inspection in underground rock caverns) , quality control, implementation of safety at site.
b. Posted for 1.5 years at a refinery expansion project ( Kochi, India) wherein entrusted with the civil structural works for the important Crude distillation unit of refinery. Job responsibilities included preparation of a green field site, handling of a contract amounting to 35 million USD which involved leading a team of 15 persons, site inspection, progress monitoring & expediting, material inspection within & outside site, billing ( completed billing of the value of 14 million USD) quality control.
2.Design office experience ( work exp 2.5 yrs , continued till date)
a. Leading a team of 6 persons ( for the civil portion) to provide EPCM services for the upcoming Refinery & Petrochemical project in Nigeria ( largest project in entire Africa) Job responsibilities include designing of underground facilities & utilities, preparation of drawings , imparting training to the Nigerian counterparts , progress monitoring, providing assistance to site construction engineers, constant interaction with client.
I don't have any on site International job experience. I have received a promotion last year.

GMAT: yet to be taken but targeting a score of 740 to 750

Extracurricular: Not much to show. Have received professional training in Harmonium ( completed 4 professional exams), actively performed in various cultural activities during schooling, during college my team was one among the top 3 teams of west India in the INSDAG competition( an all India competition for steel design)

Post MBA goal : I want to shift from Oil & gas industry ( as all countries are moving from oil towards more environmental friendly options) and enter into strategy consulting and have an inclination to enter into M&A roles ( would explain more efficiently while writing my essays)

Once again thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Dec 2017, 22:12
Hi all,

First of all really appreciate your kind help in evaluating my profile. I'm thinking of applying for HBS MBA program in 2018 and would really like to understand if I stand a good chance for HBS.

Profile: Singaporean Female (born and raised as a Chinese national)
Undergraduate: top university in Singapore School of Business with exchange programs to HEC Paris
GPA: low 3.1-3.3 (disappointing GPA with many co-curricular activities, chairperson of student union clubs and multiple internship programs)
Work Experience: total 5 years (top oil and gas f500 as management trainee, top FMCG as assistant procurement manger for 1.5 years, headhunted as procurement manager with team management opportunities)
Co-curricular: experience in consultancy for start-ups; travel bloggers with substantial number of viewership
Goal for MBA: broaden horizon; change of location (preferably Europe or US), and to deepen some aspects of my business knowledge, to broaden career development opportunities

Goal post-MBA: management consulting in procurement specialization OR procurement in f500 big MNCs

School applying: Insead; Kellogg; HBS

Appreciate your help!

Originally posted by lindalinfuxi on 29 Dec 2017, 21:55.
Last edited by Narenn on 29 Dec 2017, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Topic merged in Profile Eval thread.
Intern
Intern
Profile evaluation for harvard 2+2 and other similar programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 10:46
Hi,
I am a third year undergraduate student studying Mechanical Engineering from BITS PILANI, Pilani.Besides this I have also pursued a minor in finance from BITS, PIlani and have done courses like Fundamentals of Finance and Accounting, Derivatives and Risk Management, Financial Management, Supply Chain Management, Lean Manufacturing, Production Planning and Control, Portfolio Management under the minor.

Gmat Score = 730

Cgpa = 6.6/10

Extra Curriculur : 1. Published a research paper in a reputed internatoional journal on SCM.
2. led the organising team of OASIS, India's second largest fest with a budget of more than 35 Lakhs INR.
3. Head at Student Union Technical Team
4. Club Co-ordinator For one of the 10 major clubs on campus
5. Part of NSS Ngo for six months under teaching

Internships : 1. 2- month in IBM Gurgaon in Web Devlopment
2. 2 -month in Maruti , Gurgaon as mechanical consultant
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 16:32
Hi. I am considering applying for an mba at Harvard and I would be most grateful for any feedback on my profile.

Background and nationality: British national (parents from pakistan but I have only ever been a British national.)

Education: Masters in math (MSc degree) from a top 20 ranked university in UK. Achieved 65% overall. I got 87% in my thesis.
The big downside to my application is my undergraduate degree. I did it at a very low ranked university in the uk and I only got a 2:2. My undergraduate was also in maths.
But I'm hoping my masters degree offsets my poor undergraduate.

GMAT: 780

Work experience and leadership:
Since graduating I did an internship and then worked for a management consulting firm in the Strategy and Research Division. I then did an internship for the European Space Agency. After this I interned at a boutique bank in the Investment Banking Division.
For the last year and a half I have been working for the Government. I have been delivering and implementing government policy at the front line.

Community and others:
I am a personal advisor to the CEO of a very well-known management consulting firm in London. I do this around my Government job.
I have recently co-founded a charity which I am in the process of launching. It has got the relevant backing and should start gaining traction very soon.

I would be most grateful for an evaluation of my chances.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 08:12
Asking for my friend

Undergraduate: Top 5 IIT, 7.2/10
GMAT: 720 (50Q, 35V)
Work Ex: 5 years

History of leadership

3 years at large e-commerce player (corporate strategy, supply chain, biz dev)
Pitched and led the rollout of extremely important product feature in a key vertical (that gave strategic advantage over global competition)
Turned around function that drives 2nd highest costs for company, adding $18 million in bottomline, managing a team of 8

2 years at high-growth start-up

Drove 8x growth in sales, big factor in a $30m funding round (launched and scaled new categories, marketing channels, products)
Led the growth team (promoted from manager to head in 12 months) & additional responsibility for consumer products
Very well regarded in the company, as one of the early members, helped build the company culture and fabric
Managed teams of 8-15 on cross-functional projects
Strong quant & data skills

ECs: Self taught guitar player, part of National Service Scheme at university, coached students for IIT

Schools: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Stanford, Ross, Kellogg, LBS
Intern
Intern
Do I have a shot at 2+2 (humanities major)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 11:03
I’m applying to 2+2 this cycle as a college junior. Currently studying for the GRE, which I’ll take for the first time right before deadline. My stats:

Major: (double major and minor in humanities subjects). Attend Harvard
GPA: 3.984
Hooks: Black female
Job experience: worked as a research assistant on a history oriented project one summer, went abroad the other
ECs: strong leadership in clubs, strong volunteering

I haven’t taken any business school desired desires classes (Econ, Statistics, math, etc) in college since I’ve been so humanities-focused. I’m worried they’ll think I can’t handle math, so I plan to take Statistics this semester that I apply. I was wondering if I should also take Macro? Will it be seen as a big boost if I can pull of an A- or better there? I’m slightly worried I’ll be stretched too thin by taking both, and not have enough time for the actual GRE studying and application. I normally take paper-based classes so these ones are a little out of my element. Will it be a negative factor if I just take Statistics and have no econ coursework on my transcript?

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Do I have a shot at 2+2 (humanities major)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 11:59
chances103 wrote:
I’m applying to 2+2 this cycle as a college junior. Currently studying for the GRE, which I’ll take for the first time right before deadline. My stats:

Major: (double major and minor in humanities subjects). Attend Harvard
GPA: 3.984
Hooks: Black female
Job experience: worked as a research assistant on a history oriented project one summer, went abroad the other
ECs: strong leadership in clubs, strong volunteering

I haven’t taken any business school desired desires classes (Econ, Statistics, math, etc) in college since I’ve been so humanities-focused. I’m worried they’ll think I can’t handle math, so I plan to take Statistics this semester that I apply. I was wondering if I should also take Macro? Will it be seen as a big boost if I can pull of an A- or better there? I’m slightly worried I’ll be stretched too thin by taking both, and not have enough time for the actual GRE studying and application. I normally take paper-based classes so these ones are a little out of my element. Will it be a negative factor if I just take Statistics and have no econ coursework on my transcript?

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for the post. If you do well on the GRE then you have a great profile for 2+2! What do you think you will do after graduating? It is often good to have a job when you submit. That said, I would love to see your resume. Feel free to send to scott@personalmbacoach.com if you want to talk about how we can work together on your applications. We are based in Boston as well!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Intern
Intern
Re: Do I have a shot at 2+2 (humanities major)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 20:48
I am currently in my second year of college and plan to give GMAT this year..what things i must do to make myself a prospective candidate for the 2+2?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: ALTA.MBA

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 12:26
sushruthi wrote:
Asking for my friend

Undergraduate: Top 5 IIT, 7.2/10
GMAT: 720 (50Q, 35V)
Work Ex: 5 years

History of leadership

3 years at large e-commerce player (corporate strategy, supply chain, biz dev)
Pitched and led the rollout of extremely important product feature in a key vertical (that gave strategic advantage over global competition)
Turned around function that drives 2nd highest costs for company, adding $18 million in bottomline, managing a team of 8

2 years at high-growth start-up

Drove 8x growth in sales, big factor in a $30m funding round (launched and scaled new categories, marketing channels, products)
Led the growth team (promoted from manager to head in 12 months) & additional responsibility for consumer products
Very well regarded in the company, as one of the early members, helped build the company culture and fabric
Managed teams of 8-15 on cross-functional projects
Strong quant & data skills

ECs: Self taught guitar player, part of National Service Scheme at university, coached students for IIT

Schools: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Stanford, Ross, Kellogg, LBS

Hi - Having worked with 20+ IIT grads that were admitted to HBS in recent years, being a top top academic performer is helpful along with the usual extracurriculars and exposure to global firms. In you friend's case, most will depend on how credibly your friend can convey his great accomplishments at work. The recommendations are unfortunately often written by candidates - so the combination of resume, application, essay and potentially supplemental materials must weave together and clearly convey his exploits!

Paul at ALTA.MBA

Re: My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2018, 12:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 149 posts ] 

My Chances at Harvard - Post All Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap