GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Chances - GMAT 700, 9+ years work

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Chances - GMAT 700, 9+ years work  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2013, 03:35
Hi,

Can anyone advise me on whether I am setting my sights too high in my choice of colleges I want to apply to -
Profile -
    Electrical Engineer from a top institution in India, graduated in 2004, GPA not great
    4 years at an Indian IT services company, worked for 1.5 years in the U.S
    Quit job to start up, currently on my 4th startup - an online travel challenge, past startups include a location based mobile app and an adventure travel website
    Founding member and key organizer of a city marathon, grew it to India's 2nd largest in first 3 years
    Key member of a not for profit runners club and society since 4 years, which has inspired and trained thousands of long distance runners
    Been profiled in every major newspaper in India for the current startup

Immediate goal -
    General management degree, with a focus on marketing
    Will look for a product management or marketing job at a technology major

Choice of schools -
    Stanford GSB
    Booth Chicago
    Columbia
    Berkeley

I am undecided about applying to Tuck and Kelogg. Any other schools I should consider? My focus has been to try for top colleges that are in cities with a healthy startup environment.

Will appreciate any advice or connect with students from any of the above schools!

AJ
SVP
SVP
D
Re: Chances - GMAT 700, 9+ years work  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2013, 11:13
Hi AJ,

Thanks for submitting your profile. I have a few concerns, which I am going to point out here.

I am impressed that you have 4 start-ups to your name, but that also concerns me. How are these doing? What stages are they at, and what is your active involvement with them? I would be concerned that you have put your fingers in too many pies and whether you are diluting the impact you were likely to have on a lesser number. All of this may be my assumption; you may just be a serial entrepreneur, having done a wonderful job with all 4, but a little bit of clarity over there would help.

Or is it that you have closed down the last 3 and are solely focused on venture #4? If so, you will really have to make a solid case that you had a major learning with each venture, and did not repeat the mistakes of the first one, a second time around. Sounds like a sticky situation to be in.

Second, you will need to weave a good story about why you need an MBA, if you need one at all. You seem to be going places already, with newspaper articles and stuff. Besides there are all those launches to your name, including the running clubs.

Third, its not apparent if your career goals are aligned to what you have done so far.

Your b-school selection is aspirational for sure. I think you need to add a couple of more b-schools where you have a realistic chance of making it.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GPA: 3.9
Re: Chances - GMAT 700, 9+ years work  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2013, 04:34
ajayrds wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone advise me on whether I am setting my sights too high in my choice of colleges I want to apply to -
Profile -
    Electrical Engineer from a top institution in India, graduated in 2004, GPA not great
    4 years at an Indian IT services company, worked for 1.5 years in the U.S
    Quit job to start up, currently on my 4th startup - an online travel challenge, past startups include a location based mobile app and an adventure travel website
    Founding member and key organizer of a city marathon, grew it to India's 2nd largest in first 3 years
    Key member of a not for profit runners club and society since 4 years, which has inspired and trained thousands of long distance runners
    Been profiled in every major newspaper in India for the current startup

Immediate goal -
    General management degree, with a focus on marketing
    Will look for a product management or marketing job at a technology major

Choice of schools -
    Stanford GSB
    Booth Chicago
    Columbia
    Berkeley

I am undecided about applying to Tuck and Kelogg. Any other schools I should consider? My focus has been to try for top colleges that are in cities with a healthy startup environment.

Will appreciate any advice or connect with students from any of the above schools!

AJ

I must echo the sentiments above. You are in a very competitive demographic, so a 700 GMAT score is actually a bit low (in your demographic) for the schools you plan on applying to, especially given your not so good undergraduate GPA. I'm not sure who an adcom would look at your work experience, but it does seem that you have changed jobs quite a bit.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Chances - GMAT 700, 9+ years work   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2013, 04:34

Chances - GMAT 700, 9+ years work

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate