GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2019, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Chances of getting into Booth's Weekend Program for Autumn 2020.

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Chances of getting into Booth's Weekend Program for Autumn 2020.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 23:28
Hello experts,

Just took my GMAT today. Got a score of 650 (Q49,V29, IR-7). Can you please tell me what are my chances of getting into weekend MBA at booth with this score, or should I retake the exam to get to that magical figure of 700 ?

My profile:

-Master's in Engineering Management from NEU, GPA 3.30.
-3 years of experience as an Operations Analyst
-Undergrad from an Indian college, GPA: 3.55 out of 4
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: Chances of getting into Booth's Weekend Program for Autumn 2020.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2019, 09:56
Booth's weekend program has much much lower standards. Not sure your specific reason for getting a part-time MBA - why not try to get a full-time MBA ?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Chances of getting into Booth's Weekend Program for Autumn 2020.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2019, 04:58
Thanks for bumping the topic!
Starting today you can filter decision tracker results. Here are the Booth Evening/Weekend program Admit results:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/decision-tra ... &status=10

You will see there were a few people with 650 who got in. Even a few folks with Sub 650!
https://gmatclub.com/forum/decision-tra ... matScore=7

However, the FT program is much more competitive, here is the filter for the FT program sub-700 scores: very slim pickings....
https://gmatclub.com/forum/decision-tra ... matScore=2
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 15:29
You have to be brain dead not to get into their weekend program.
Everybody gets in.... I have a lot of friends going there, even with a 600 GMAT and 3.3 undergrad GPA

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 15:35
JohnJohnJ wrote:
You have to be brain dead not to get into their weekend program.
Everybody gets in.... I have a lot of friends going there, even with a 600 GMAT and 3.3 undergrad GPA

Not a very respectful way of speaking of your friends .... EMBA programs are a lot less about scores and undergrad performance. It is a lot more about the career progression. I’m not sure that somebody’s GPA really matters 20 years later. If someone asked me about my GPA today I would’ve laughed first and then considered punching them.
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 15:56
BB, the question is about part time MBA and not EMBA

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 15:57
You are totally right :facepalm_man:
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 16:35
hey, I am an aspiring weekend candidate and would like to understand the reasons behind not opting for a weekend program.

JohnJohnJ and @FinanaceNoob - could you enlighten why the weekend programs are not the best choice ?

A couple reason for me opting weekend MBA :

1. I have a family to support so can’t really quit the job.
2. Full Time MBAs tend to be very competitive specially a good school like Booth
3. Weekend MBA got the same curriculum/ degree / professors as the FT. The only downside is less networking and less participation in the clubs.

Now I’m not arguing FT vs weekend. For sure if you got the opportunity, should go FT; but want to understand what’s so bad about Weekend Programs.

Am I missing something big here ?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 16:52
I am not arguing that weekend program is a bad choice. On the contrary I feel that weekend programs are great choices.

I always ask candidates to refer to employment reports (full time) to know the school... if you see a company in the employment report, it’s highly likely that they’ll hire even from the weekend program.

I feel that going to school over the weekend, you can learn a bunch of things and put them to use during the week. Weekend students are known to be more engaged because their focus is not getting a job, but learning (unlike full time participants). Full time participants tend to focus more to coffee chats and other employment events that weekend kids don’t care about.

If you’re looking for jobs from the weekend program, you’ll have nearly the same opportunity as full time. In my personal opinion, Booth, Kellogg and Stern have the best weekend program (you’ll have access to the same companies in any of these three schools)

I only suggest that you judge a school by its employment reports and not by the biased rankings (they use random surveys that mean nothing and have no traceability) or meaningless M7 category or ivy category (they mean nothing)

Booth Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 17:09
JohnJohnJ - thank you so much for this insight.

I have always wanted to do an MBA and after investing so much on something (preparing for GMAT, writing application content), it’s disheartening to learn that one have made a wrong choice.

Your post really helped in boosting the confidence, and the earlier too in disguise which said getting into Booth is a cake walk :)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Sep 2019, 18:47
Now your reply raised another big question, concern and thought for you.
Be sure about why you’re getting an MBA. If you’re already at director or VP level, an MBA might not help.

If you think you’ll get a director or VP rank without MBA, you should not.

Also, it’s a lot of effort for weekend kids to attend the info sessions and interviews and coffee chats like the full time students, so finding a job from the school resources would not be easy because of your limited time.

Don’t waste your $ if you think I can be director or VP without MBA

Originally posted by JohnJohnJ on 19 Sep 2019, 17:16.
Last edited by JohnJohnJ on 19 Sep 2019, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Booth Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 17:21
JohnJohnJ : I am already in the industry for almost 9.5 years now and I’m no where close to become a project manager let alone a VP.

Call it circumstances, fate, office politics, visa issues, or may be my abilities - but it’s been a rough journey so far going up the ladder.

I’m pursuing an MBA to bridge this gap between my current position to a project manager and hopefully to a VP someday.

Hope that makes sense.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Chances of getting into Booth's Weekend Program for Autumn 2020.   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2019, 17:21

Chances of getting into Booth's Weekend Program for Autumn 2020.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste