Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Was she accepted to the PT program at each school or the FT program?

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good question Hjort..............I would say it is FT (95% sure).........!!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm still a little confused by the chronology- was she accepted to Chicago in a later round in the same year or in a later year?

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort, here's the stats........Got accepted to CMU (decision reached around April-May) to start for fall 2004 and then got accepted to Chicago to start Fall 2004......it is quite possible Chicago was applied to in a later round, cos the decision was made around june or july.........
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm . . . if she had really strong admissions characteristics I would not be surprised if she had been accepted by both the "higher" school and the "lower" school. Now if she had been rejected by a regional school and accepted by the ultra elite school that would be more interesting.

I am also not that surprised because Carnegie is in a cluster of schools right on the border of being an elite school. To the extent one finds rankings useful, I think in 1990 it was ranked #9 in the BW Survey and placed number #13 or #14 four times. Perhaps some observers typecast CMU as a "tech" school and thus overlook its general strengths. It is not on the ultra elite level of say Chicago, Northwestern, or Stanford in terms of general rep but it quite close to a number of the other elite schools. Further, note that its GMAT distribution is similar to those of Virginia and Cornell and the mean is within about one SEM of the value of the mean for most elite schools.

Hjort
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
cbrf3 wrote:
Kath,Hjort......I'm just curious to know whether the GMAT score makes a difference if u r applying to a part time or full time program?? Interesting to note is the fact that a friend (distant) of mine was accepted at Carnegie Mellon ,but later on she got into Chicago GSB, which was quite a jump, considering the rankings of these schools........am a lil baffled by such instances :?

It's not surprising to me at all.

A GMAT score makes a difference in both full-time or part-time programs. It plays less of a role in EMBA admissions.

REgarding your friend, the fact that CMU admitted your friend does not imply that your friend is not a good candidate for Chicago. Chicago is not looking at the app and saying, "This candidate was accepted at CMU and therefore is not for us." IT probably didn't know that your friend had been accepted. to CMU. It looks at each application holistically and compares it to other applications while considering the desired make-up of a class.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]