Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1139 [20]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [12]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q47  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Re: Child care already a solid part of the employee benefits package at [#permalink]
Clear B.

"With" is required to correctly convey why companies are focusing on another benefit [elder care].
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Child care already a solid part of the employee benefits package at [#permalink]
Clear B

Child care already a solid part of the employee benefits package at many companies, more businesses are focusing on a newer family benefit known as elder care, servicing for older dependents.
(A) Child care --> ungrammatical structure: no verb for Child care as subject here.
(B) With child care --> the best. with + Noun phrase is the prepositional phrase modifying for the main clause
(C) Child care as --> ungrammatical structure
(D) Being the Child care was -->Being is awkward
(E) With child care’s being -->Being is awkward
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
I am still not clear why not A?

Experts please comment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q47  V41
Send PM
Bookmarks
ykaiim wrote:
I am still not clear why not A?

Experts please comment.

Child care already a solid part of the employee benefits package at many companies, more businesses are focusing on a newer family benefit known as elder care, servicing for older dependents.
(A) Child care
(B) With child care
(C) Child care as
(D) Being the Child care was
(E) With child care’s being

Here is my explanation.

As is, 1st part of sentence lacks main verb; thus it should be dependent clause.

However, we don't see intro signalling that 1st part depends on 2nd. So we need to fix this problem. There are 2 ways to do it:

1. introduce new verb to 1st part of sentence and make it independent; however, we see that only Child care is underlined so we can't insert and/but/while/etc between sentences; so we sould expect 2nd way to fix the error
2. introduce something that will clearly pinpoint that 1st part of sentence is dependent and actually the 2nd part is the main clause.

Between choiced (B) and (E) we should choose (B) because (E) contains ugly word being.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
with child care......is a dependent clause
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
with child Care more business are focusing on newer family benefits.-- Correct.
(A) Child care more business are focusing on newer family benefits--incorrect
(B) With child care
(C) Child care as more business are focusing on newer family benefits--incorrect
(D) Being the Child care was more business are focusing on newer family benefits--incorrect
(E) With child care’s being more business are focusing on newer family benefits--incorrect
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
tenaman10 wrote:

(A) Child care - Wrong: 1) Modifier issue
(B) With child care - Correct
(C) Child care as - Wrong: Modifier issue
(D) Being the Child care was - Wrong: 2 independent clauses connected without a conjunction.
(E) With child care’s being - Wrong: Meaning issue
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Child care already a solid part of the employee benefits package at [#permalink]
tenaman10 wrote:

(A) Child care
(B) With child care
(C) Child care as
(D) Being the child care was
(E) With child care’s being

JonShukhrat , generis - Could you help me understand why option C is wrong? I am generally confused about USAGE OF WITH in starting of any sentence.

What is the difference of usage of WITH in above sentence and below - https://gmatclub.com/forum/with-only-5- ... ml#p605096

Quote:
With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources, drive more than one-third of its automobiles, and use 21 times more water per capita than Europeans do.

(A) With
(B) As
(C) Being
(D) Despite having
(E) Although accounting for
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts