Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20706 [73]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [62]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [7]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s [#permalink]
Can someone explain why no article is needed for "interest" in C?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s [#permalink]
beyondgame30
In this case, a pronoun before interest would make the sentence ambiguous or vague.
When there is an empty pronoun, it is always wrong in the GMAT. I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
C, network is singular so "has" is correct split / "its" is a bit unclear

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Is it because interest is an unaccountable noun in C, so it doesn't need an article of "an". I am struggled to know when a noun needs an article or pronoun, such as a, the, and its, and when one doesn't. Could you please explain a little more? Thank you!

matthewsmith_89 wrote:
In this case, a pronoun before interest would make the sentence ambiguous or vague.
When there is an empty pronoun, it is always wrong in the GMAT. I hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
beyondgame30 wrote:
Can someone explain why no article is needed for "interest" in C?

Because we can say this in the simple way .
"China's food is very good, but weather is bad."

similarly in above question,we do not need any article/noun after but.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
Can Anyone tell what is wrong with "it" in sentence A.What else it is referring other than China?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
[quote="ziyuen"]China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has waned in favor of burgeoning solar and wind industries.

A. has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

B. have long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but their interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations have

C. has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

D. long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations

E. have long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

.it seems as "China’s vast network of dams" is the subject for the 2nd part of sentence..... that is illogical...
In A its can point to china ..why A is incorrect ..Experts please help...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Can country's be antecedent of its in A?

China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but country’s interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has waned in favor of burgeoning solar and wind industries.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello GMATNinja,

I also marked A as the answer, considering 'its' is referring back to "China's" but looks like there is a lot of confusion here. Your comments prove that my point is valid.

Can you please suggest what should I mark for this question?

I am not clear on the last lines you mentioned for this question in your post.

"To be fair, there's some grey area in this case, since "China's" and "its" are both possessive. But since both "China's" and "its" are part of the subjects of their respective clauses, I wouldn't automatically assume that the pronoun is wrong. "
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
I also marked A as the answer, considering 'its' is referring back to "China's" but looks like there is a lot of confusion here. Your comments prove that my point is valid.

Yeah, the original question is a little bit flawed, so don't worry too much about it. As long as you marked (A) or (C) here, you're fine, and I wouldn't recommend spending much more time on this specific example.

I think the most important takeaway from my post is that the GMAT makes a very clear exception to pronoun ambiguity "rules", as described in the cucumber example. That's an issue that you'll see in a decent number of official GMAT questions.

Quote:

"To be fair, there's some grey area in this case, since "China's" and "its" are both possessive. But since both "China's" and "its" are part of the subjects of their respective clauses, I wouldn't automatically assume that the pronoun is wrong. "

In my last few lines of the post, I simply meant that the question in this thread isn't exactly the same as the cucumber example, because "China's" (subject of the first clause) and "its" (beginning of the subject of the second clause) are both possessive -- and I've never seen an official GMAT question that looks quite like this. As long as you understand the cucumber example, that's the important part. :)

Sorry for the confusion!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
In my last few lines of the post, I simply meant that the question in this thread isn't exactly the same as the cucumber example, because "China's" (subject of the first clause) and "its" (beginning of the subject of the second clause) are both possessive -- and I've never seen an official GMAT question that looks quite like this. As long as you understand the cucumber example, that's the important part. :)

Sorry for the confusion!

Hi Charles,

Do you consider the following is correct and ha no ambiguity? Is this GMAT style? have you encountered any OG question like this?

Napoleon's plan was great but his tactics were obsolete.

thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, the original question is a little bit flawed, so don't worry too much about it. As long as you marked (A) or (C) here, you're fine, and I wouldn't recommend spending much more time on this specific example.

I think the most important takeaway from my post is that the GMAT makes a very clear exception to pronoun ambiguity "rules", as described in the cucumber example. That's an issue that you'll see in a decent number of official GMAT questions.

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion!

Thank you for the explanation. Apart from the fact that the "its" and "China's" are in subject position, (from one of the previous explanation by Verbal expert - don't remember the question) the possessive pronoun can refer back to the noun in possessive form. Is that valid?
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
warriorguy wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion!

Thank you for the explanation. Apart from the fact that the "its" and "China's" are in subject position, (from one of the previous explanation by Verbal expert - don't remember the question) the possessive pronoun can refer back to the noun in possessive form. Is that valid?

I think you mean the post in the following example:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/http-magoosh ... 14976.html
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [5]

Send PM
Kudos