Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [19]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [8]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [3]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: China wants to avoid financial collapse of their economy. In order to [#permalink]
Kudos
Jp27 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
A seems right to me.
If China's economy does not want to fall, they will have to reach 33% in which case 50% is attainable.
If 50% is unattainable, it means 33% was not reached and hence the economy would fail.

there is situation in the stem that allows them to get 33% also right with out reaching 50% (Question reads - if the 33% increase in GNP is reached, than it is possible for a 50% GNP increase.)? then why would they fail? :-)

Yes. But it says that if 33% is reached, then 50% would be possible or in other words attainable. We are not saying that without reaching 50% the economy would fall rather we are saying that if there is not a possibility to reach 50% then the economy would fall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: China wants to avoid financial collapse of their economy. In order to [#permalink]
Kudos
vdadwal wrote:
China wants to avoid financial collapse of their economy. In order to do this, China must raise their gross national product rate by 33%. China's economy is structured so that if the 33% increase in GNP is reached, than it is possible for a 50% GNP increase.

Of the following statements listed below, which one must be true if we are to assume the above statements are also true?

A. China's economy will fall, if China's 50% increase in GNP is unattainable. // this is not what the author means
B. China's GNP will not have a 50% increase, if its economy falls. // correct
C. The economy of China will not fall, if it can obtain an increased GNP of 50%. // this is too strong a statement , we don't know this for sure.
D. A 17% GNP increase will be unattainable, if China continues to suffer national conflict. // out of context
E. A 71% increase is possible, if the 33% brink is achieved, and the 50% GNP increase is attainable. // out of context

Maverick - What's the answer? I think it should be C

vdadwal - why would C is stronger than B? both use the same tone / language right?

C. The economy of China will not fall, if it can obtain an increased GNP of 50%. // this is too strong a statement , we don't know this for sure.

here is why I think it's gotta be C

Statments Says 33% is necessary for for China to avoid financial collapse and 50% is sufficient for China to avoid financial collapse
so C says China can get to 50% increase then I wil def avoid the collapse!

Option B -> Even if china doesn't increase by 50% but had it increased to 33% its economy will sustain!

what say?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MacFauz wrote:
A seems right to me.
If China's economy does not want to fall, they will have to reach 33% in which case 50% is attainable.
If 50% is unattainable, it means 33% was not reached and hence the economy would fail.

there is situation in the stem that allows them to get 33% also right with out reaching 50% (Question reads - if the 33% increase in GNP is reached, than it is possible for a 50% GNP increase.)? then why would they fail? :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
nightblade354

Please mark the OA as A for this one.
Sorry to bug :lol: you bro!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
China wants to avoid financial collapse of their economy. In order to do this, China must raise their gross national product rate by 33%. China's economy is structured so that if the 33% increase in GNP is reached, than it is possible for a 50% GNP increase.

Of the following statements listed below, which one must be true if we are to assume the above statements are also true?

A. China's economy will fall, if China's 50% increase in GNP is unattainable. // this is not what the author means
D. A 17% GNP increase will be unattainable, if China continues to suffer national conflict. // out of context
E. A 71% increase is possible, if the 33% brink is achieved, and the 50% GNP increase is attainable. // out of context
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Send PM
tuanquang269 wrote:
If the 33% increase in GNP is reached, than it is possible for a 50% GNP increase.

As the reverse rule, if the 50% GNP cannot be reached, then the 33% increase in GNP is not reached. Then, the choice C cannot be correct.

The most correct and appropriate answer is choice B.

Hi please correct me If I'm wrong, the conclusion says "if the 33% increase in GNP is reached, than it is possible for a 50% GNP increase.)"

The word possible makes the "if then" relationship not absolute for us to apply If x then Y -> Y not -> X NOT logic ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
A seems right to me.

Nice explaination MacFauz.
Thanks!!
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi

Can anyone shed some light on this question as OA is not posted............the intent of the member who posted seems to be A as the answer.

But i cannot understand why it is A and C both seems to be same and justified byt the argument.

Its straight cause and effect.
Cause:- Help GNP to reach 33% , it will reach to 50% automatically
Effect:- Financial collapse can be avoided.

Question is a mUst be true type.
Clear that A and C are contender.

A. China's economy will fall, if China's 50% increase in GNP is unattainable.
C. The economy of China will not fall, if it can obtain an increased GNP of 50%.
Really difficult to eliminate both ...I do not think that we can present a thought that there may be other contributors to fall of the economy and hence reject C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
In the passage it is said, reaching 33% is must to avoid the fall. But it is nowhere mentioned, it is the only condition. So it mandatory but not sufficient. So reverse may not be true.

No Fall "Requires" Reaching 33 %
But Reaching 33% "does not imply" no fall.

Archit143 wrote:
Hi

Can anyone shed some light on this question as OA is not posted............the intent of the member who posted seems to be A as the answer.

But i cannot understand why it is A and C both seems to be same and justified byt the argument.

Its straight cause and effect.
Cause:- Help GNP to reach 33% , it will reach to 50% automatically
Effect:- Financial collapse can be avoided.

Question is a mUst be true type.
Clear that A and C are contender.

C. The economy of China will not fall, if it can obtain an increased GNP of 50%.
Really difficult to eliminate both ...I do not think that we can present a thought that there may be other contributors to fall of the economy and hence reject C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
The question tests the difference between necessary and sufficient condition. Macfauz is absolutely correct in his explanation.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
Maverick04308 wrote:
3. China wants to avoid financial collapse of their economy. In order to do this, China must raise their gross national product rate by 33%. China's economy is structured so that if the 33% increase in GNP is reached, than it is possible for a 50% GNP increase.

B. China's GNP will not have a 50% increase, if its economy falls.
D. A 17% GNP increase will be unattainable, if China continues to suffer national conflict.
E. A 71% increase is possible, if the 33% brink is achieved, and the 50% GNP increase is attainable.

I was asked for help via a private message.

This question is truly abysmal. Imagine a donkey on rollerskates trying to play a Chopin Etude --- that is the level of colossal failure which this question achieves.
Flaw #1: poor, unclear wording --- e.g. are we discussing the GNP or the GNP rate? The percentage changes are over what period?
Flaw #2: the GMAT almost never mentioned numerical information in the CR --- here, at least, it would seem no calculations are needed. Calculations are never needed on the GMAT CR, and are always characteristic of poor quality questions.
Flaw #3: Unrealistic content. In real life, China has the most robust economy in the world. There is absolutely no realistic question of a financial collapse in China. When the GMAT CR mentions anything real-world oriented, everything they say and imply is deeply consistent with the facts of the real-world situation.
Here's a MGMAT post in which they discuss more flaws of this question:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/inf ... 16786.html

My respect to MacFauz who, despite the exceedingly poor quality of the question, had something intelligent to say, as he typically does.

Overall, I would say: notice that some of the longest threads and most convoluted arguments are about questions so poor in quality that they are really not worth a second look. Find high quality questions, and all these extraneous confusions disappear.

That's my 2¢.

Mike :-)
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Maverick04308 wrote:
3. China wants to avoid financial collapse of their economy. In order to do this, China must raise their gross national product rate by 33%. China's economy is structured so that if the 33% increase in GNP is reached, than it is possible for a 50% GNP increase.

D. A 17% GNP increase will be unattainable, if China continues to suffer national conflict.
E. A 71% increase is possible, if the 33% brink is achieved, and the 50% GNP increase is attainable.

Please help!!

It should be C.

The reason "A" is not correct is that the stem specifically states that in order to avoid collapse China must raise GNP by 33% (a necessary condition), but once it reaches 33% there are CHANCES that 50% can be attained. Now if we notice option A makes reaching 50% a necessary goal which is wrong.

Lets now check why "C" should be correct. If the GNP reaches 50% then it means it must have reached 33% before and as per my aforesaid statement reaching 33% is a necessary goal to avoid collapse; therefore, china will 100% avoid collapse.

I hope my understanding is correct chetan2u, please throw some light on the same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
IMO its A itself.
Because of the following reasoning.
1--- No Fin Collapse ---> Inc GNP(33%)
2 --- Inc GNP(33%) ----> 50% Inc Possible.

A states
50% Inc NOT possible ---> NO inc GNP(33%)
No Inc GNP(33%) ---> Fin Collapse . Same thing. Contra positive.

Hence, A is right.
I think this question should be 600-700 instead of sub 600 .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Maverick04308 wrote:

Please help!!

It is possible to reach 50% GNP increase if 33% increase in gnp is reached, but it is not mentioned that 50% will certainly be reached. Hence, it might be possible that 33% is achieved but not 50%, in this case, how the choice A is correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I chose C as well but in retrospect, here is the pattern I see. For Must be True types, in the stimulus, the patter is if A-->then B , the answer choice must be Not B ---> Not A.

So, in the given stimulus, we (or at least I) can vaguely discern the pattern as below:

Avoid collapse >> If 33% reached (or 50% GNP is possible, when 33% is achieved)
(A) (B)

Now, option A can be vaguely patterned like below:

If China's 50% increase in GNP is unattainable, China's economy will fall

(Pattern)

Not B >>> Not A

Those are my 2 cents. I could be wrong.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5738 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat1393 wrote:
nightblade354

Please mark the OA as A for this one.
Sorry to bug :lol: you bro!

All good, you're doing what should be done, haha. OA updated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
In my opinion, A is more correct than others. Because the premise in this questions is that whether China could achieve an 33% Increase in GNP to prevent its economy from collapsing, and if the 33% increase is achievable, the 50% increase also is achievable because China has a structural economy. The premise in Option B is the outcome of the collapse in Chinese economy, and it supports the claim that China will not able to increase its GNP as a result; However, whether China could raise the GNP not depends on whether the economy will collapse in China; Instead, whether the economy will collapse is dependent on whether China could raise the GNP.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts