Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [35]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [26]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [5]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Circle O is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC, which is [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
walker wrote:
if you don't have enough time to calculate or don't remember formulas, here is fast "intuitive" approach:

Let's imagine this highly fixed structure. If you change any linear size or area, the structure just scales. We can't change any part of the system without proportionally changing all others parts. Once you get this "intuitive" idea, any linear size or area of any part of the structure defines all other linear sizes and areas of the system. For instance, if we know the height of the triangle, it's enough to find all other parameters in the system. Both statements give us information about one of the parts of the system. So, it's D.

P.S. It's a lot of text but it took 10-20sec.

I am myself a proponent of exactly this thinking. It makes perfect sense and takes a few seconds. And, you get very good at it with practice.
Something akin to this for the intuitively inclined:
"If there is only one way in which you can draw a geometry diagram with certain specifications, you will be able to find all other sides and angles."
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Circle O is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC, which is [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mvictor wrote:
how do you solve, in theory, to come to the conclusion that radius of the circumscribed circle is a*sqrt(3)/3?
is it because the diameter will be 1/2 time of the side?
in this case, the diameter will be a/2, and R is a/4, where a is the side of the equilateral triangle.

knowing that the triangle is inscribed in a circle, we can draw 2 radii which will connect with one side of the triangle, creating a 30-30-120 triangle. Then, we can draw a perpendicular, and get 2 triangles of 30-60-90, in which the longest leg will be a/2, where a is the side of the equilateral triangle.

is my way of thinking right?
in case we know area of the small circle, we can find the side of the equilateral triangle, and thus, can find the radius of the big circle.
in case we know the area of the equilateral triangle, we can deduct that A=[S^2 sqrt(3)]/4. Now, we can find the side of the equilateral triangle, and hence, find the radius of the big circle.

I believe this is more a 700 level question :)

Once you understand these relations, you will jump to (D) immediately.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 21 Oct 2015, 23:45.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 05 Dec 2023, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
I wish I could understand the system approach. Perhaps its the thinking of a MBA student, which I am unable to get. ;)
I try to go through it again. Let's see!!!

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sorry Hussain15, it's just what I was thinking when took a look at the problem. If it doesn't work for you, just leave it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
D it is.

If a circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle , you can find radius if the side if a triangle /height of the triangle is given or you can find side of a triangle if radius of the inscrbed circle is given

Even if you dont remember formulas as spelled out by Bunnel..you just need to remember the above fact.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
PriyaRai wrote:
D it is.

If a circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle , you can find radius if the side if a triangle /height of the triangle is given or you can find side of a triangle if radius of the inscrbed circle is given

Even if you dont remember formulas as spelled out by Bunnel..you just need to remember the above fact.

Even I don't remember all the formulas used above, i was able to get the answer as D with little logic and knowledge.

Who wants to know all the formulas, some time you can do without that.

there's a saying:

Who wants to know the price of everything and value of nothing.

:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:
Circle O is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC, which is itself inscribed in circle P. What is the area of circle P?

(1) The area of circle O is \(4\)pie.

(2) The area of triangle ABC is \(12\sqrt{2}\).

For equilateral triangle:
• The radius of the circumscribed circle is \(R=a*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\), (where \(a\) is the side of equilateral triangle);
• The radius of the inscribed circle is \(r=a*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}\);
• The area of equilateral triangle is \(A=a^2*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\).

We are asked to calculate area of bigger circle P - \(area_P=\pi{R^2}\). Note that knowing any of the following: the side of equilateral triangle \(a\), radius of the smaller circle O (as it gives \(a\)) or the radius of P itself is sufficient to calculate area of P.

(1) The area of circle O is \(4\pi\) --> we can find \(r\) --> we can find \(a\) --> we can find \(R\). Sufficient.

(2) The area of triangle ABC is \(12\sqrt{2}\) --> we can find \(a\) --> we can find \(R\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Dear Members,

Has anyone noticed that both the statements contradict each other

From statement 1 , we get \(a = 4\sqrt3\) or \(a^2 = 48\)

from statement 2 we get \(12\sqrt2 = a^2 *\frac{\sqrt3}{4}\)

or \(a^2 = 48*\frac{\sqrt2}{sqrt3}\)

both the statements should give the same value for a and \(a^2\) ,( side of the triangle).

Let me know if I am misinterpreting anything.

Although the answer is still D, both the statements shouldn't give different values for a.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Circle O is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC, which is itself inscribed in circle P. What is the area of circle P?

(1) The area of circle O is 4 pie.

(2) The area of triangle ABC is 123 √ .

In the original condition, the there is only one variable (radius), and we need one equation to solve for the question.
2 equations are given from the 2 conditions, so there is high chance (D) will be our answer; in fact, (D) is our answer.

For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Thanks for the question and the intuitive approach to solve it! I'll try to practice this approach on similar questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 690
Send PM
Answer D.

A) if the area of circle is given. you can (r1)of the inscribed circle and from that the sides of the triangle. Sides of triangle can give you the radius (r2) of the outer circle, enough to answer the question

B) area of triangle will give you the side and also the radius (r2) or circumscribed circle.

so answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
qlx wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

• The radius of the circumscribed circle is \(R=a*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}\), (where \(a\) is the side of equilateral triangle);

We are asked to calculate area of bigger circle P - \(area_P=\pi{R^2}\). Note that knowing any of the following: the side of equilateral triangle \(a\), radius of the smaller circle O (as it gives \(a\)) or the radius of P itself is sufficient to calculate area of P.

(1) The area of circle O is \(4\pi\) --> we can find \(r\) --> we can find \(a\) --> we can find \(R\). Sufficient.

(2) The area of triangle ABC is \(12\sqrt{2}\) --> we can find \(a\) --> we can find \(R\). Sufficient.

Dear Members,

both the statements should give the same value for a and \(a^2\) ,( side of the triangle).

Although the answer is still D, both the statements shouldn't give different values for a.

The DS question asks for data sufficiency and not the final answer. Two statements may give two different answers or same answers is not of any merit in these questions.

Don't fall for such traps.

Cheers!!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mittalg wrote:
qlx wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Dear Members,

The DS question asks for data sufficiency and not the final answer. Two statements may give two different answers or same answers is not of any merit in these questions.

Don't fall for such traps.

Cheers!!!

That's not true. On the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other or the stem.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
qlx wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

Dear Members,

You are right. I guess the second statement should read: the area of triangle ABC is \(12\sqrt{3}\).

Edited the question. Thank you.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
how do you solve, in theory, to come to the conclusion that radius of the circumscribed circle is a*sqrt(3)/3?
is it because the diameter will be 1/2 time of the side?
in this case, the diameter will be a/2, and R is a/4, where a is the side of the equilateral triangle.

knowing that the triangle is inscribed in a circle, we can draw 2 radii which will connect with one side of the triangle, creating a 30-30-120 triangle. Then, we can draw a perpendicular, and get 2 triangles of 30-60-90, in which the longest leg will be a/2, where a is the side of the equilateral triangle.

is my way of thinking right?
in case we know area of the small circle, we can find the side of the equilateral triangle, and thus, can find the radius of the big circle.
in case we know the area of the equilateral triangle, we can deduct that A=[S^2 sqrt(3)]/4. Now, we can find the side of the equilateral triangle, and hence, find the radius of the big circle.

I believe this is more a 700 level question :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Circle O is inscribed in equilateral triangle ABC, which is [#permalink]
I wouldn't say I did many calculates for this.

St1 - Asc= 4 = πr^2 ---> r =2
If we were to draw the radius connecting the centre of the smaller circle to its bottom, then we end up with 2 30-60-90 triangles.

r = 2 is effectively the height of the triangle and we can use this relationship: x:x√3:2x ---> 2x = 2 ---> x = 1 to determine the base and hence hypotenuse. The hypotenuse is the radius of the larger circle.

Sufficient.

St2 - A(ABC) = 12√3 = s^2√3/4 ---> s = ...
So half of s gives you the bottom leg of the 30-60-90 triangle. Again you can determine the hypotenuse.

Sufficient.

D

Edit: I made a mistake above. Finding out one side length is not the same as finding the hypotenuse of the larger circumscribed circle. But, once you get that side length you can use the formula Bunuel mentioned to get the area of the larger circle:

s = side

s x √3/3
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

(2) The area of triangle ABC is \(12\sqrt{3}\) --> we can find \(a\) --> we can find \(R\). Sufficient.

Bunuel I just want to make sure I got this right.

For the radius of the inscribed circle:

If we are given the area of the inscribed circle then obviously we can get the radius, which is equivalent to the height of the 30-60-90 triangle that you can form.

To be clear, if you didn't have the area, then the formula above allows you to get the radius if you have the side length of the equilateral triangle. i.e. going the opposite direction
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92893 posts