Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Assumptionx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Tuck '26 (I)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: City council member: Demand for electricity has been increasing by 1.5 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhibad wrote:
In this question, I mistook the conclusion to be "I propose passing ordinances requiring energy-conservation measures in all city departments." because "We must therefore begin to curtail usage". I didn't take "We must therefore begin to curtail usage" as the conclusion, hence I was confused between B and D. How does one fin conclusion in such passages?
Regards,
Abhijit

Hi Abhijit,

I'd be happy to help. Think about it like this:

What action does this person ultimately want?

The conclusion is the thing or action that the author/arguer ultimately wants. When you look at it that way, you can elevate beyond just scanning for keywords, etc. to quickly and accurately detect the conclusion of an argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Desautels (D)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: City council member: Demand for electricity has been increasing by 1.5 [#permalink]
Dear GMATNinja, gmat1393, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354 egmat

City council member: Demand for electricity has been increasing by 1.5 percent a year, and there simply is no more space to build additional power plants to meet future demand increases. We must therefore begin to curtail usage, which is why I propose passing ordinances requiring energy-conservation measures in all city departments.

In the above, Could you please confirm what is the main point that author wants to point out.
To me, It seems that main Conclusion is "I propose passing ordinances requiring energy-conservation measures in all city departments. "
And "We must therefore begin to curtail usage" is sub-Conclusion which is supporting the above main Conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
i do not know why B is incorrect .! answer A just paraphrase the sentence and is self evident ! could you explain ?
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
09173140521 wrote:
i do not know why B is incorrect .! answer A just paraphrase the sentence and is self evident ! could you explain ?

You need to review your premise and conclusion indicators. The sentence (a) refers to is a premise of the argument. If these ideas are foreign to you, read a CR book or take a class to build these skills. Do not attempt further questions.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
City council member: Demand for electricity has been increasing by 1.5 percent a year, and there simply is no more space to build additional power plants to meet future demand increases. We must therefore begin to curtail usage, which is why I propose passing ordinances requiring energy-conservation measures in all city departments.

Increasing Demand & No space to build additional plants => Curtail Usage
Curtail Usage => Propose passing OREC

When possibly could protect the ordinances from failure?

Usage has been increased AND no more space to build [to MEET FUTURE DEMAND INCREASES]. What does this imply? It seems like that the current power plants won't be able to handle the future demand. And because they won't be able to handle the future demands, then we should cut usage. Therefore, we should pass OREC.

Original Condition: Can't handle -> Reduce Usage -> Pass OREC
Contrapostive: ~Pass OREC -> Could handle

Let's look for the answer that matches the above conditions.

The city council member's proposal assumes which of the following?

Quote:
(A) Existing power plants do not have capacity to handle all of the projected increase in demand for electricity.

This one matches the original condition. Let's keep it.
Quote:
(B) No city departments have implemented energy-conservation measures voluntarily.

If there is no city departments have implemented voluntarily, then the city would be better off by passing the OREC. But what if there is not no city departments have implemented that — This means there are some that have implemented that. Will the argument still hold true? Yes. If there is only some that want to do so, then passing the OREC will make the rest to do so.
Quote:
(C) Passing ordinances designed to curtail electricity usage will not have negative economic consequences for the city.

This may or may not be true in the real world. However, the argument is not concerned with he economic consequences. The only concern is whether the OREC can cut the usage.
Quote:
(D) Residential consumers are not responsible for the recent increases in demand for electricity.

Whether residential consumers are responsible for the increases or not is out of cope. Residential Customers are not mentioned anywhere in the argument.
Quote:
(E) City departments that successfully conserve energy will set a good example for residential and industrial consumers of electricity.

Yeah, this could be true in the real word. Consider this: If someone succeeds by doing this thing, you will also succeed if you do the same thing. Does that have to be true? No.

Only A is remained. Hence, A is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM

1. ↑ Demand for electricity
2. no more space to build additional power plants
Conclusion: energy-conservation measures in all city departments

(A) Existing power plants do not have capacity to handle all of the projected increase in demand for electricity.
Yes. If current power plants have capacity to handle all of the projected increase in demand for electricity, there's no need to apply energy-conservation measures

(B) No city departments have implemented energy-conservation measures voluntarily.
voluntarily: New information

(C) Passing ordinances designed to curtail electricity usage will not have negative economic consequences for the city.
negative economic consequences: New information

(D) Residential consumers are not responsible for the recent increases in demand for electricity.
Residential consumers are not responsible: New information

(E) City departments that successfully conserve energy will set a good example for residential and industrial consumers of electricity.
good example: This is not the assumption
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
I am a bit confused on applying the negation technique for Choice B.

From my understanding of the negation technique, you must flip the statement around completely: "City departments have implemented energy-conservation measures voluntarily."

However, the OG explanation says, "the proposed ordinances could still be necessary even if one city department had voluntarily implemented energy-conservation measures." When using the negation technique, doesn't it have to be all or nothing... either NO city departments had done so or ALL city departments had done so? How can we go from NONE to SOME (based on the OG's use of even if one city department)?

Many thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
City council member: Demand for electricity has been increasing by 1.5 [#permalink]
AndrewN,

Can you throw some light on option C?
If passing ordinances will not have any negative economic consequences for the city, then we should go ahead with the proposal.
and if I put this statement back in the question stem, this is still making sense. There are no negative economic consequences, hence we should go ahead with the proposal.

The conclusion says passing ordinances requiring energy conservation measures, and option C says ordinances designed to curtail electricity usage. If they are both different things then option C is incorrect. Further more are energy conservation measures=== curtailing of electricity usage? or are they different measures? There is no clarity on this. Hence, this could be wrong.
(PS:- The above is my analysis, just sharing to see if my thought process is correct or not)

Please share your two cents.

KD
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
City council member: Demand for electricity has been increasing by 1.5 [#permalink]
thanhmaitran wrote:

ID - CR08239

Conserving Electricity

Step 1: Identify the Question

The word assumes in the question stem indicates that this is a Find the Assumption question.

Step 2: Deconstruct the Argument

CCM: elec. demand ↑ + no space for new plants

usage must ↓

plan: conserv. ords. in city depts

This argument describes a proposed plan. Note that the city council member claims that the city must begin to curtail usage. In the context of an Assumption problem, when you spot a word like must or always, consider whether the claim might be overly strong. It’s possible that there are other solutions to the energy problem, besides forcing the city to curtail usage.

Step 3: Pause and State the Goal

On Assumption questions, the goal is to find an answer that must be true in order for the logic of the argument to be reasonable. In this case, the answer will state something that must be assumed to be true before the proposed plan to curtail usage can be accepted.

Step 4: Work from Wrong to Right

(A) CORRECT. This is a necessary part of the logic of the argument. In order to accept the plan for energy conservation, it’s necessary to first know that energy conservation is actually needed. If the existing plants were able to handle the projected increase in demand, then no conservation would be needed.

(B) Use the Negation Test on this answer choice, since it already includes one negative. Negation: some city departments have implemented energy-conservation measures voluntarily. If that’s the case, the conclusion could still make sense: maybe some city departments have implemented these measures, but this won’t save enough energy and other departments will require ordinances to convince them to conserve.

(C) This does strengthen the argument, since a plan without negative economic consequences is more likely to succeed. However, since it’s not necessarily true, it isn’t an assumption. Even a plan with some negative economic consequences could be the correct choice.

(D) Regardless of how much energy the city departments are currently using, decreasing their energy usage would reduce the overall energy usage of the city.

(E) The argument does not make any claims about whether residential and industrial customers need to reduce their energy usage. The proposal relates only to whether city departments should reduce their energy usage.

Hi Experts,
KarishmaB
AnthonyRitz
MartyTargetTestPrep,
GMATNinja

I cannot understand Why Choice A is the correct answer.

Please find below my reasoning: -

Step1 : Find What the Question Stem is asking.

So we need to find what the CCM's proposal assume.

Step2: What is the proposal ?

We must therefore begin to curtail usage, which is why I propose passing ordinances requiring energy-conservation measures in all city departments.

Step3 : Pre-think (if you can)

So, the CCM assumes that passing ordinances requiring energy conservation measure in all city departments will lead to conservation of energy.
What if city departments are not responsible for increase in recent demand ?
Then in that case the proposal will fail.

Step4 : Taking the pre-thought along go for POE

thanhmaitran wrote:

Choice A is Irrelevant to the CCM's proposal. We are not concerned with whether existing power plants do have the capacity or donot have the capacity to handle all of the projected increase in demand. We are concerned with the PROPOSAL of the CCM

thanhmaitran wrote:

If we negate choice D then it will break down the proposal because if RESIDENTIAL CONSUMERS are responsible for the recent increase in demand for electricity then passing an ordinance requiring all CITY DEPARTMENT will not lead to the desired result.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
AnthonyRitz wrote:
PriyamRathor wrote:
Quote:

Hi Experts,
KarishmaB
AnthonyRitz
MartyTargetTestPrep,
GMATNinja

I cannot understand Why Choice A is the correct answer.

thanhmaitran wrote:

Choice A is Irrelevant to the CCM's proposal. We are not concerned with whether existing power plants do have the capacity or donot have the capacity to handle all of the projected increase in demand. We are concerned with the PROPOSAL of the CCM

thanhmaitran wrote:

If we negate choice D then it will break down the proposal because if RESIDENTIAL CONSUMERS are responsible for the recent increase in demand for electricity then passing an ordinance requiring all CITY DEPARTMENT will not lead to the desired result.

Thanks.

Priyam,

One important point that you're missing is that electricity is fungible. That is, one "chunk" of electricity is as good as another, and electricity can presumably be rerouted freely between residential and city government use. Even if residential consumers are causing a shortage of electricity, austerity measures by city departments could address the shortfall. So it's unfortunate that you focused on the city departments as your key distinction here, because actually I don't think that distinction matters at all. That's why I don't want to pick D.

As for A, I find your abrupt dismissal confusing. You just said
Quote:
We are not concerned with whether existing power plants do have the capacity or donot have the capacity to handle all of the projected increase in demand. We are concerned with the PROPOSAL of the CCM
But why? Why aren't we concerned with the capacity of the existing plants? Why doesn't this bear on the proposal, or its necessity? Note the intermediate conclusion here:

Quote:
We must therefore begin to curtail usage

If there's no shortage, because existing plans can handle the projected demand, then this intermediate conclusion would fail, right? And if it's not true that we must curtail usage, then why would we need the proposal to curtail usage by city departments? The whole argument falls apart if there's no shortage. That's the point of A, and the reason it's the right answer.

I hope this helps!

Hi AnthonyRitz,
Thank you for your reply

I completely agree to your below point.
Quote:
One important point that you're missing is that electricity is fungible. That is, one "chunk" of electricity is as good as another, and electricity can presumably be rerouted freely between residential and city government use. Even if residential consumers are causing a shortage of electricity, austerity measures by city departments could address the shortfall.

I am explaining below my reason for abrupt dismissal of Choice A
Quote:
As for A, I find your abrupt dismissal confusing.

If the question had been "The argument assumes which of the following" ,
then I would have surely chosen Choice A

What's the point? or the Conclusion -We must therefore begin to curtail usage
Why So ? - there simply is no more space to build additional power plants to meet future demand increases

But
Here the question is very specific "The city council member's proposal assumes which of the following?"

Here we are concerned with what the proposal assumes not what the argument assumes.

The point that the argument makes and the point/conclusion that the CCM's proposal makes-both are different.

Argument Point:-We must therefore begin to curtail usage
Proposal Point:- I propose passing ordinances requiring energy-conservation measures in all city departments

I hope I was able to explain my confusion.

Please guide if there is any gap in my understanding.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM

(A) Existing power plants do not have capacity to handle all of the projected increase in demand for electricity. - identifies the gap between the 2 premises - increase in the electricity usage and no space to build additional power plants

(B) No city departments have implemented energy-conservation measures voluntarily. - Irrelevant

(C) Passing ordinances designed to curtail electricity usage will not have negative economic consequences for the city. - out of scope

(D) Residential consumers are not responsible for the recent increases in demand for electricity. - Conclusion is we must therefore curtail the usage because there is no additional space. Option not related

(E) City departments that successfully conserve energy will set a good example for residential and industrial consumers of electricity. - We are not concerned whether someone is becoming a role model. Conclusion is we must therefore curtail the usage because there is no additional space.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Conc: ­Plan  => Curtail usage - Demand for elec is increasing and no space to build additional power plants to meet future needs. 

(A) Existing power plants do not have capacity to handle all of the projected increase in demand for electricity - This option substantiates what's stated in the passage more, i.e., additional power plants are required to meet future needs, meaning current power plants don't have exisiting capacity to handle projected need. Keep.

(B) No city departments have implemented energy-conservation measures voluntarily - Have city dept. implemented energy conservation measures voluntarily or otherwise or if at all, doesn't concern the why the conclusion of the passage, i.e., plan to curtail usage. These results would answer the question was the plan successful, but not why the plan would be needed in the first place. Drop

(C) Passing ordinances designed to curtail electricity usage will not have negative economic consequences for the city. Whether passing the ordinance has positive or negative ramifications is outside the scope, since we're only concerned regarding justification of conservation measures not the impact. Drop

(D) Residential consumers are not responsible for the recent increases in demand for electricity. This could explain a reason for increase (or not), not to be confused with reason for conservation. Drop

(E) City departments that successfully conserve energy will set a good example for residential and industrial consumers of electricity. Again, not related to the reason for conservation. Drop
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts