Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [11]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [35]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [12]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Claim vs Evidence vs fact vs conclusion ?????? [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you so much. that was really helpful .
Can i ask another question ….
what is the meaning of these words when they appear on the Boldface role question "Position" and "Judgment" ??? for example how to know that the statement is Position or Judgment ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
Mike - what is the difference between a claim (or position) vs. a conclusion ?

Dear jabhatta@umail.iu.edu,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

As above, in terms of the GMAT, there's not a big difference. Any argument, anything that is not factual evidence, can be called a "claim." Any statement in the prompt that is not evidence is a claim. We always call the author's most important claim his "conclusion"; most typically, this most important claim comes at the end of the prompt passage, although sometimes it can come in other places in the prompt passage. Sometimes, if there's claim #1 in the middle of the argument, and then claim #2, the most important claim, comes at the end, we might call claim #1 something such as a "preliminary conclusion" or a "secondary conclusion that supports the main conclusion," whereas claim #2 would be the "main conclusion;" thus, it's possible to have two conclusion in a GMAT argument.

Both words have a verb form. The verb "to conclude" means that decide something, I come to a judgment about something. For example, I see A, B, and C, so I conclude P. In real life, that can be a private action: I could conclude something inside my own head and not tell anyone. By contrast, the verb "claim" explicitly means for me to tell other people about what I think. I see A, B, and C, and then I claim to my friend that P is true. If the idea is never spoken, then I have never claimed it. The two verbs differ as descriptions of real human action. Nevertheless, in the GMAT prompt passage, the passage is telling us everything, so that negates any real difference between a claim and a conclusion.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Claim vs Evidence vs fact vs conclusion ?????? [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
shagalo wrote:
Thank you so much. that was really helpful .
Can i ask another question ….
what is the meaning of these words when they appear on the Boldface role question "Position" and "Judgment" ??? for example how to know that the statement is Position or Judgment ?

Dear shagalo,
The words position and claim mean, for GMAT CR purposes, exactly the same thing. Anything that is based on opinion or conjecture, and certainly any prediction about the future, is a position or claim. Here are some positions or claims I could make
GMAT Club is the best way to prepare for the GMAT.
Humphrey Bogart was the greatest Hollywood actor.
Hillary Clinton will be elected President in 2016.
Shares of COKE will go over $100 before the end of 2014.
The New York Mets will win the 2014 World Series.

Each one is a position or a claim. They are not factual statements: an intelligent and reasonable person might disagree with any one of these statements. The first two are value statements --- I am assigning a value to something in the present or the past. Someone with different opinions or with access to difference evidence might assign a different value. The last three are predictions, and of course, other people may not agree with my predictions. (Unfortunately, extremely few people will agree with the last prediction! :cry: )

The first kind of claim or position, when I am assigning value to something --- that is definitely a judgment. A judgment could be a prediction, but it definitely is one way of assigning value to something (saying something is the best or the worst or the most or the least or ...)

Notice that the GMAT will NOT ask you to decide the difference between a position and judgment, or between a claim and judgment. It often will expect you to know the difference between an argument/claim/position/judgment and a piece of evidence. The former, whatever the name, is someone's opinion or is based on someone's perspective, and reasonable people can disagree. The latter is something factual and indisputable.

Does all this make sense?

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:

Dear jabhatta@umail.iu.edu,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

As above, in terms of the GMAT, there's not a big difference. Any argument, anything that is not factual evidence, can be called a "claim." Any statement in the prompt that is not evidence is a claim. We always call the author's most important claim his "conclusion"; most typically, this most important claim comes at the end of the prompt passage, although sometimes it can come in other places in the prompt passage. Sometimes, if there's claim #1 in the middle of the argument, and then claim #2, the most important claim, comes at the end, we might call claim #1 something such as a "preliminary conclusion" or a "secondary conclusion that supports the main conclusion," whereas claim #2 would be the "main conclusion;" thus, it's possible to have two conclusion in a GMAT argument.

Both words have a verb form. The verb "to conclude" means that decide something, I come to a judgment about something. For example, I see A, B, and C, so I conclude P. In real life, that can be a private action: I could conclude something inside my own head and not tell anyone. By contrast, the verb "claim" explicitly means for me to tell other people about what I think. I see A, B, and C, and then I claim to my friend that P is true. If the idea is never spoken, then I have never claimed it. The two verbs differ as descriptions of real human action. Nevertheless, in the GMAT prompt passage, the passage is telling us everything, so that negates any real difference between a claim and a conclusion.

Does this make sense?

Thanks Mike this helps !

One follow up ...the difference between a claim and a premise ?

Can i say the

-- Claim that is not evidence towards a conclusion : a claim

-- Claim that is evidence towards a conclusion : a premise
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]