Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [26]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 367
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Closed environments in a car lead to high concentrations [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here's my understanding of the passage:
Prethinking: humidity leads to damaged leather(L), so switch to Carbon-based upholstery(C) - similar erg. experience, resistant to humidity ---> Switching from L to C will reduce complaints.

A. Whether synthetic upholstery provides a luxurious rich look that is deemed acceptable to the customers of luxury cars for the money they spend on the car.
Its already mentioned that it provides a similar ergonomic experience. Plus its irrelevant to conclusion that complaints will reduce.
B. Whether the stain-resistance prowess of synthetic upholstery is at least as comparable to that of conventional leather upholstery to the abuse from liquid spills common in luxury cars.
No - Therefore complaints will not reduce upon switching and conclusion is weakened. Yes - further strengthens belief that complaints will reduce
C. Whether there are some customers who are not worried about humidity-related damage to upholstery.
Irrelevant to conclusion in question.
D. Whether carbon-fiber-based synthetic upholstery withstands humidity for at least 3 times as long as leather upholstery does.
This may prolong the complaints being reported, ie the ones using synthetic upholstery may still report the problem but later than leather but no proof that it will reduce the complaints. Also, even for Leather - note the word eventually - which means even leather based upholstery problems are not reported immediately.
E. Whether there are other materials that can be used in creating upholstery to provide similar ergonomic experience.
Irrelevant. Comparison is only between C & L here.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Closed environments in a car lead to high concentrations [#permalink]
Kudos
Skywalker18 wrote:
Closed environments in a car lead to high concentrations of humidity within the car in the long run, damaging the leather upholstery eventually. Customers of luxury cars complain about such damage since they view it as an additional expense over and above the already high amount they had to pay for the car. Luxuar, one such manufacturer of luxury cars, plans to use carbon-fiber-based synthetic upholstery that provides similar ergonomic experience as the current leather upholstery and that is significantly more resistant to humidity damage.

In deciding whether switching to carbon-fiber-based synthetic upholstery would reduce the number of customer complaints significantly, it would be most helpful to determine which of the following?

A. Whether synthetic upholstery provides a luxurious rich look that is deemed acceptable to the customers of luxury cars for the money they spend on the car.
B. Whether the stain-resistance prowess of synthetic upholstery is at least as comparable to that of conventional leather upholstery to the abuse from liquid spills common in luxury cars.
C. Whether there are some customers who are not worried about humidity-related damage to upholstery.
D. Whether carbon-fiber-based synthetic upholstery withstands humidity for at least 3 times as long as leather upholstery does.
E. Whether there are other materials that can be used in creating upholstery to provide similar ergonomic experience.

Let's use POE.

A. Good enough - If using SU does not give luxurious looks, then customer will not accept as he/she is spending money for this.
B. We are concerned about damage due to humidity - Out of scope
C. We are concerned about customers who are worried
D. Too specific - We can't say exactly 3 times will be enough
E. Out of scope.

Hence (A)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A cannot be the answer as A talks about "rich look" where as conclusion talks about customer complaints. No where it is mentioned in argument that synthetic upholstery will not have rich look. We want to know about complaints that will be generated if the product gets damaged because of humidity and hence needs change and thus additional cost.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO B is a clear winner when compared to A. The clue lies in the question statement.

"In deciding whether switching to carbon-fiber-based synthetic upholstery would reduce the number of customer complaints significantly, it would be most helpful to determine which of the following?"

The concern is reduction in complaints. Clearly we are talking about the post car purchase phase. The luxurious nature of upholstery is relevant only in the pre car purchase phase when choosing from multiple options and is irrelevant once the purchase has been made.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [2]
Given Kudos: 259
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Skywalker18 wrote:
Closed environments in a car lead to high concentrations of humidity within the car in the long run, damaging the leather upholstery eventually. Customers of luxury cars complain about such damage since they view it as an additional expense over and above the already high amount they had to pay for the car. Luxuar, one such manufacturer of luxury cars, plans to use carbon-fiber-based synthetic upholstery that provides similar ergonomic experience as the current leather upholstery and that is significantly more resistant to humidity damage.

In deciding whether switching to carbon-fiber-based synthetic upholstery would reduce the number of customer complaints significantly, it would be most helpful to determine which of the following?

I see the answers on this thread and none of them is completely sensical. Being an Automotive Engineer myself, let me put out my 2 cents here:

NOTE: ERGONOMICS means designing and developing a vehicle so that the driver (and the other passengers) are comfortable and well-positioned, and it also aims to reduce driver fatigue and the development of musculoskeletal disorders. "LUXURIOUS RICH LOOK AND FEEL" is a completely different thing and has NOTHING to do with Vehicle Ergonomics.

Now, coming down to the difference between options (A) and (B), read this VERY CAREFULLY Luxuar, one such manufacturer of luxury cars, plans to use carbon-fiber-based synthetic upholstery that provides similar ergonomic experience as the current leather upholstery and that is significantly more resistant to humidity damage.

It's nowhere written that Luxor will replace the existing upholstery, RATHER it says that it "plans to use", which means it will introduce the synthetic upholstery in the upcoming cars. Now, if I'm a rich person - when I got to buy a car and think that the synthetic upholstery looks cheap and makes the car not worth the price, I might just refuse to buy it outright.

Complains, GENERALLY, come after I've already bought a product and am using it, in which case, reading (B) very carefully - we see that when the customers find out that the synthetic upholstery is not stain-resistant (after there's a spill (given that spills are common in luxury cars)), that is when they WILL COMPLAIN. And the whole objective here is to reduce the complaints - so IF (1) synthetic upholstery that provides similar ergonomic experience as the current leather upholstery - there will be no ergonomics related complain, (2) more resistant to humidity damage - no complaints about any damage to the upholstery and (3) if it's ATLEAST as stain-resistant as the current leather upholstery - at least no increase in complaints, and with all these 3 cases, net-net, we're able to achieve a reduction in complaints, AND HENCE, (B) IS THE CORRECT ANSWER CHOICE.

I rest my case.

LOGIC TRIUMPHS EVERYTHING ELSE IN GMAT VERBAL.

Feel free to PM me if in case you still have any doubts, and PLEASE HIT KUDOS IF YOU LIKE MY SOLUTION
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM