It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 08:07

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

Re: Codex Berinensis [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2010, 22:34
D

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 24

WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 01:01
D All the way!!

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 24

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2010, 03:17
I am for D.
It's discussed here in detail:
codex-berinensis-a-florentine-copy-of-an-ancient-87532.html?hilit=Codex%20Berinensis#p658524

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 51

Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2011, 11:45
D it is ,though i dont understand why the GMAT test makers use stupid names like codex berenensis . kind of difficult to pronounce this

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 51

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2011, 21:11
A defender argument,seeking external reasoning for strengthening the conclusion.D justifies the purpose.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 10

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [2], given: 27

GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2011, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The answer is clearly D. I took nearly 4 minutes over it, but that was because I didn't want to get it wrong and read and re-read the passage.

Here is my critical reasoning!:
1. Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists. How would this matter?
2. According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for 10 months. This may help. But nonetheless, it doesn't point to a particular period specifically.
3. A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day. No reason why this would point to 1148
4. There was only one outbreak of plague in Florence in the 1100s.If there were more, wouldn't be able to pin-point the year. Therefore this is my pick.
5. The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist.Needless to say, this is really worthless information.

petrifiedbutstanding

Kudos [?]: 90 [2], given: 27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2011, 02:07
D

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2011, 04:12
+1 for D.

Crick

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 37

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2011, 03:13
+1 for D

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 42

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 56

Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2011, 13:03
I picked D...by POE...it is difficult to pick D because you need to make several assumptions

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2011, 21:26
D by POE

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2011, 03:41
D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 718 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 12:01
D

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 6

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2012, 08:43
I chose (C) for the following reasons:

- The hypothesis for which we have to find support is that the treatise was produced in 1148
- To produce a treatise, someone has to write it and the writing takes time
- If writing the treatise was very time-consuming (say it took several months to produce one page), even it the fourth author started to write in 1148, he couldn't have finished it

What's wrong with this logic?

Also, I still don't understand what's wrong with vannbj's logic?

Quote:
How can we assume that the disruption was due to the plague? Also how does the occurrence of the letter in 1148 relate to the timing of the treatise? Even if there was one 1 outbreak in the 1100’s couldn’t the fourth copyist have produced them 60 years apart?

Anyone?

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2012, 02:46
+1 for D

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [5], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2012, 00:04
This post received
KUDOS
Found the logic below in a different forum and I felt the explanation was great..

There seems to be a causal relationship involved...the argument says that there was a disruption that interfered with the copying of the Codex...then it proceeds to say that there was a letter from the 4th copyist about a plague in 1148(which happens to be the disruption) and this plague(disruption) caused the Codex to be produced that year.

Cause: Plague of 1148 (C)
Effect Delayed the Codex to be produced that year. (E)

C->E

Remember that in a causal relationship the author assumes that no other cause is responsible for the Effect. And he assures us that this cause is very much true(here he states that there was some significant disruption that caused the delay in produce - the plague of 1148).

Following this, we need to Strengthen the authors assumptions about his causal relationship by either:
1) showing C causes E
2) Eliminating other Causes
3) Eliminating reverse causality
4) Showing data used to make causality is accurate
5) if there is no cause then there is no effect.

Answer choice D properly demonstrates rule 2 "Eliminating other Causes"...if this was not the only plague then perhaps a later plague further delayed the Codex produce ...hope this helps...

(This question is particularly difficult because the causal relationship is difficult to spot, but you can try to do so by looking for Causal identifiers like "Since....<this>"..."therefore <this>")

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Kudos [?]: 61 [5], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2012, 04:37
Note that in a causal relationship the author assumes that no other cause is responsible for the Effect.Its easy to identify this relationship in the given context. Cause and effect are clear, and we can get the answer from that..
Cheers..!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 55

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2012, 11:42
gurpreet07 wrote:
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treatise, is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first 80 pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148?

(A) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists.
(B) According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for 10 months.
(C) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.
(D) There was only one outbreak of plague in Florence in the 1100s.
(E) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist

This is a very tricky question. I got the correct answer in <2 minutes using the process of elimination, but it was mostly a "feeling" that option D is the right answer. So, I spent a lot of time on trying to decipher it. Here are my thoughts. Hope it helps others get it, and I also hope someone will correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Conclusion: Codex Berinensis (hereby referred to as CB) was probably produced in 1148.
How did we reach this conclusion?
1. Guy 1 copied the first 80 pages --> disruption --> 10 pages by guy 2 --> disruption --> 10 pages by guy 3 --> disruption --> completed by guy 4.
2. Guy 4 also wrote a letter that mentions about a plague in 1148. It's tricky to know for sure if Guy 4 wrote this letter in the actual CB or just wrote the letter to someone. The first sentence "contains clues to when it was produced" is ambiguous in its meaning.

The final sentence can be summed up as: Because letter by Guy 4 mentions plague --> CB produced in 1148.
That's a huge jump. How does a letter written about a plague lead to the conclusion that the CB was produced in 1148?
Only if the plague played a role in producing the CB!

Now, this becomes easy. All we have to prove is that there was no other plague (other than the one that took place in 1148) that could have played a role in producing the CB.
In other words, what we're trying to support is that the CB was produced in 1148 and NOT BEFORE then. This is critical. I also fell into the trap of thinking: why can't the fourth guy have finished his work in 1180? But that's the wrong direction to think in.

I personally didn't buy into the fact that the plague was what caused the disruption for the first 3 guys in copying the CB. Maybe they moved, maybe they got another job, maybe they became disinterested in a repetitive and boring job. But it's not out of order to think that the plague caused the disruption. Who knows? All I have to prove is that the plague is 1148 played in role in producing the CB, and that it was no other plague. Option D does that.

Major Takeaways
- parsing out the truly unnecessary from the necessary. Once you understand what the argument is, and how it's made, the whole thing falls into place. Once I understood that the only thing I REALLY have to prove/support is that the plague of 1148 played a role in producing the CB, the rest became easy.
- I should have paid more attention to the last sentence and identified the jump in logic it was making. This took the longest time. Don't fight the jumps in logic with confusion and immediately jump to the answer choices.
- USE your confusion as the hole that you have to pour cement into.

Great question! Really haven't been challenged by a Strengthen question like this before.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 55

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1031 [0], given: 136

Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient roman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2012, 05:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient roman medical treatise , is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first eighty pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining twenty pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148?

a) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists
b) According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for ten months.
c) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.
d) there was only on outbreak of plague in florence in the 1100s
e) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist

Please provide your reasoning.

Thanks

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Kudos [?]: 1031 [0], given: 136

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC

Kudos [?]: 1615 [0], given: 100

GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient roman [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2012, 07:48

Kudos [?]: 1615 [0], given: 100

Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient roman   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2012, 07:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 77 posts ] 

Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap