GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Cold blooded animals, such as snakes, lizards, and salamanders, have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Cold blooded animals, such as snakes, lizards, and salamanders, have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 19:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (00:34) correct 47% (00:28) wrong based on 149 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Cold blooded animals, such as snakes, lizards, and salamanders, have developed a variety of mechanisms which keep their body temperatures at a comfortable level.

A. which keep
B. to keep
C. that keep
D. which kept
E. in order to keep

Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.31
Re: Cold blooded animals, such as snakes, lizards, and salamanders, have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 01:09
Cold blooded animals, such as snakes, lizards, and salamanders, have developed a variety of mechanisms which keep their body temperatures at a comfortable level.
A. which keep
B. to keep
C. that keep
D. which kept
E. in order to keep

B, C close.

B wins as "they have developed...to <>."
is more appropriate than "they have developed ...that<>"

Please correct me if I am wrong.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Cold blooded animals, such as snakes, lizards, and salamanders, have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 12:07
I first selected the choice "to keep" , but as there is no difference in the meaning between "to keep" and "in order to keep", I rejected both of them(as two choices can not be correct at the same time).

Why choice B is correct while choice E is incorrect?
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 03:08
AR15J wrote:
I first selected the choice "to keep" , but as there is no difference in the meaning between "to keep" and "in order to keep", I rejected both of them(as two choices can not be correct at the same time).

Why choice B is correct while choice E is incorrect?

B expresses the same idea with fewer number of words and is hence better.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 21:10
Hi abhimahna,
So the animals developed the mechanisms with an intention to keep their body temperature levels at a comfortable level. Nice, I don't know animals are so developed and futuristic that they can modify their own body structure ?

Sorry, I learnt that the intention is provided by the infinitive from you. So i am skeptical about the answer here.

Can you please tell me where i am going wrong. I have exam in not more than 29 days.

Thank you.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 01:11
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi abhimahna,
So the animals developed the mechanisms with an intention to keep their body temperature levels at a comfortable level. Nice, I don't know animals are so developed and futuristic that they can modify their own body structure ?

Sorry, I learnt that the intention is provided by the infinitive from you. So i am skeptical about the answer here.

Can you please tell me where i am going wrong. I have exam in not more than 29 days.

Thank you.

Hey Nightmare007 ,

Your explanation is absolutely correct.Animals are doing something to keep their body temperatures blah blah ....

Why can't animals do that? Remember survival for the fittest. Animals also behave differently based on what makes them comfortable.

For example: A lizard can grow it's tail due to the process of regeneration. Why can't other animals behave like that?

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 04:27
abhimahna wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi abhimahna,

Thank you.

Hey Nightmare007 ,

Your explanation is absolutely correct.Animals are doing something to keep their body temperatures blah blah ....

Why can't animals do that? Remember survival for the fittest. Animals also behave differently based on what makes them comfortable.

For example: A lizard can grow it's tail due to the process of regeneration. Why can't other animals behave like that?

Does that make sense?

Cool i got it. However, Can you please explain why we should not use C ?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 04:16
Why answer choice 'in order to keep' not correct?

Keep pushing your limits

Re: Cold blooded animals, such as snakes, lizards, and salamanders, have &nbs [#permalink] 04 Jul 2018, 04:16

Cold blooded animals, such as snakes, lizards, and salamanders, have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap