GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Columbia Business School Vs. INSEAD 40% Scholarship January Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Columbia   INSEAD   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.6
Columbia Business School Vs. INSEAD 40% Scholarship January Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 09:17
Hi Members,

I hope you are doing well. Never visited this site actively before but am reaching out to the community now as I am facing tough choices. I am an Indian male with 5 years of work experience in risk management and am looking for a career in consulting after MBA.

I am in a big dilemma. I have a Columbia admit, have paid the deposit and I have got my VISA Stamped as well. Columbia had been my top choice throughout the application season. However, I recently got admitted to INSEAD January intake with significant scholarships. I am not sure what to pick now.

I am struggling with:

1. I have already paid a deposit to Columbia and am way deep in the process. VISA is stamped. Is there a way out now? If I say no to them, will I face any consequences? Is it binding? ( I have not explored this yet).

2. I am not sure about the scenario in the US and now that I have a choice, I am more inclined towards a one year MBA from INSEAD.

3. These two programs are coming at very different price tags and I will be paying significantly more to Columbia. Is it worth it? Will I have a job in the US in the current scenario?

4. US vs. Europe? How to decide? : I know I should have asked this question a year ago, but I really need your help now.

Warm regards,
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Columbia Business School Vs. INSEAD 40% Scholarship January Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 11:41
Congrats on your admits! This has been a brutal year for many of your countrymen.... congratulations on coming out quite a bit ahead in this game.

INSEAD is a very non-US school and a very secretive one too - they won't release their placement numbers nor average GMAT score and they won't even share how many people they admit. It is crazy. It is largely a Europe/Asia school and CBS is a US School. If you want to be in Europe or Asia, head to INSEAD or if you want to work in the US, CBS is the only path really.

For example, Insead does share a 50 page employment report, however https://www.insead.edu/sites/default/fi ... istics.pdf and it has a bit of data - the number of people reporting jobs is 613 and 50 of them ended up in the US - my understanding is that all of them came from the US (so they had work permits).

However, Insead is the school of consultants. Close to 50% of the class go into consulting roles and this would be a natural fit for you. CBS is not bad either in consulting but it is not as lopsided as Insead. One thing you should be aware of at INSEAD is that recruiting starts month 2 - you have 1 month to think about studying and then you are head-down into looking for a job. The 2-year MBA experience allows for a bit of a break and while you do have to search for an internship, it is usually an easier process and not as stressful. You do have a break between the two years to evaluate your career, goals, and adjust them. If you are pretty set on your future, then you don't really need this soul-searching time. Many like having it, however.

The way I see it, it comes down to: Consulting domination + Savings of time and money VS. Working in the US after graduation + 2-Year MBA experience

One way you can approach it is - assign some weights to these on a scale from 1 to 10 and see what sum ends up greater.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Columbia Business School Vs. INSEAD 40% Scholarship January Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 06:08
Hi abhigoldfinger, I think the previous comment from GMAT Club was spot on in terms of pros and cons of the two schools- both excellent!- but there is that sticky part that only you are going to have to sort out. The Columbia admit - if it was from the earliest round is a binding admit- but you don't say if this was a R1 or R2 admit so perhaps this does not apply. So that could be a thing- and there could be some other implications if you choose to ever go work in US that might be in play if you don't follow through on CBS. So there are really 2 things going on- pros/cons vs 2 programs (both excellent by the way) and then the question of ethics on this. My best advice to you is to review all that you agreed upon as I don't know all of that part and keep that in mind as you make your final decision. I will say many people from India wanted that CBS spot and you have done well to earn a space.
Best wishes to you.

abhigoldfinger wrote:
Hi Members, Never visited this site actively before but am reaching out to the community now as I am facing tough choices. I am an Indian male with 5 years of work experience in risk management and am looking for a career in consulting after MBA.

I am in a big dilemma. I have a Columbia admit, have paid the deposit and I have got my VISA Stamped as well. Columbia had been my top choice throughout the application season. However, I recently got admitted to INSEAD January intake with significant scholarships. I am not sure what to pick now.

I am struggling with:

1. I have already paid a deposit to Columbia and am way deep in the process. VISA is stamped. Is there a way out now? If I say no to them, will I face any consequences? Is it binding? ( I have not explored this yet).

2. I am not sure about the scenario in the US and now that I have a choice, I am more inclined towards a one year MBA from INSEAD.

3. These two programs are coming at very different price tags and I will be paying significantly more to Columbia. Is it worth it? Will I have a job in the US in the current scenario?

4. US vs. Europe? How to decide? : I know I should have asked this question a year ago, but I really need your help now.

Warm regards,

B
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:50
Hi BB/Stratus,

Thank you for your advice. Appreciate it.

I have reached out to Columbia and am going to have a conversation with them early next week if I hear back from them. I am not sure how to reject the offer- and I am not able to send an email telling them that I am not coming anymore.

The only strong point is that Insead is coming at a cheaper cost. I want to live in India after 5 -8 years and am trying to evaluate the cost/loans/MOnthly payments.

Any comments on the alumni network of these two schools in India? If I have to work in India after 5 years, what should I do?

Warm regards,

Originally posted by abhigoldfinger on 16 Jun 2017, 04:57.
Last edited by abhigoldfinger on 22 Jun 2017, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Columbia Business School Vs. INSEAD 40% Scholarship January Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 06:51
INSEAD will have more presence in India and Asia in general. I am not sure what's driving your interest to come back - is that family? Many applicants end up leaving their home country and settling down somewhere (they get a family, job, buy a home, etc). It makes it hard to leave/move. That's what happened to me and many others.

As to how to decline an offer - search on the forum - there are many discussions on how to do that appropriately.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Columbia Business School Vs. INSEAD 40% Scholarship January Intake   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2017, 06:51

Columbia Business School Vs. INSEAD 40% Scholarship January Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate