GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 12:25
prachi18oct wrote:
The options that I had for this question were different, primarily option B.Probably they have revised the options. We need to reconsider the new options .

prachi18oct wrote:
Although I notice 2 assumptions that are taken in B option.
1. It talks about only for foods that are cooked. If these foods are eaten raw then option B will not help.
2. Other one is "prolonged cooking". We don't know whethe all these foods are prolongly cooked.

I am not sure though.
Please help.

I received the same options on my GMAT practice exam - Exam #6. I'm not sure where this other question is coming from. The option (B) listed here doesn't seem like an option that was written by GMAC. "foods that contain the fat"??? Which fat? artificial or natural? Notice how in (D) and (E), they specifically mention "other fats" - clearly stating which fat they are referring to.
Bunuel can we update the options for this question?

Also, you nailed it on the head for why (B) is wrong. It's wrong for those exact reasons.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.98
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2019, 22:26
Hi, I don't really get why option A is correct in this question. Option A talks about compensation for the negative effects of artificial fat. If we go by this option's logic, we might as well say that cigarettes might not be harmful for health just because we can eat more fruits to compensate for the negative effects of it.

Also, I believe that option B is a better choice because if the vitamins that are absorbed by the fat are present in the food, then artificial fat would indeed absorb them leading to adverse effects, thereby strengthening the argument. However, if the vitamins are not present in the food, the artificial fat would not really absorb anything and therefore not lead to any adverse effects, thereby weakening the argument.

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo egmat gmat1393 nightblade354 Kindly tell me whether I am missing something or whether there is a gap in my understanding. Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 02:27
aalakshaya wrote:
Hi, I don't really get why option A is correct in this question. Option A talks about compensation for the negative effects of artificial fat. If we go by this option's logic, we might as well say that cigarettes might not be harmful for health just because we can eat more fruits to compensate for the negative effects of it.

Also, I believe that option B is a better choice because if the vitamins that are absorbed by the fat are present in the food, then artificial fat would indeed absorb them leading to adverse effects, thereby strengthening the argument. However, if the vitamins are not present in the food, the artificial fat would not really absorb anything and therefore not lead to any adverse effects, thereby weakening the argument.

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo egmat gmat1393 nightblade354 Kindly tell me whether I am missing something or whether there is a gap in my understanding. Thanks!

The columnist argues that "people should avoid using a certain artificial fat" because "it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body."

We need to find the answer choice that would be most useful in evaluating this argument.

First take a look at (B):
Quote:
(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat

We know from the passage that the artificial fat prevents the body from absorbing certain essential vitamins. Is it important to determine whether these vitamins are present specifically "in foods that contain the fat," as written in answer choice (B)?

Not particularly. The vitamins could be in those exact foods, or could be in other foods that a person eats around the same time as the ones with the artificial fat. The result, according to the information in the passage, would be the same -- the artificial fat would prevent the body from absorbing the vitamins. Answer choice (B) is not important in evaluating the columnist's argument, because the conclusion could be valid whether the vitamins are in foods that contain the fat or in other foods. (B) is out.

Now take a look at (A):
Quote:
(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat

The columnist's conclusion depends on the fact that the artificial fat prevents the body from absorbing essential vitamins. (A) opens up the possibility that one could compensate for this effect by increasing vitamin intake.

An analogy to smoking is not quite right, because while smoking has adverse effects, it does not have any notable positive effects that would prompt a "medical adviser" to recommend it to a patient (unless I'm missing some significant information on this topic). The artificial fat discussed in this passage, on the other hand, does negate the "negative health effects of fat." Because the artificial fat has this positive effect, it would be incredibly useful to find out whether one can simply consume more vitamins to avoid the negative effect that supports the author's conclusion.

If "increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat," then the author's conclusion is significantly weakened because people could experience the positive effects of reducing fat intake without missing out on essential vitamins. Because of this, (A) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 23:44
GMATNinja : Request your insights
I opted for Option C. My reasoning for the same is as follows -
C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger a person’s health
- If having an extremely low fat intake endangers a person health then the person is bound to take artificial fat inspite of the fact that it absorbs some vitamins which might be vital for the body (given the doc has already adviced him/ her to cut on fat, artificial fat is his only option);
- If having an extremely low fat intake does not have any negative impact on a person's health then the person may stop consuming it.

Though i understand the reasoning behind option A which is the official answer, i could not get why A is better than C.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 6: 600 Q38 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 20:41
Conclusion: People should avoid using a certain fat replacement, which is used by those who have been advised by their doctors to reduce fat intake, because it absorbs certain essential vitamins, preventing the body from using these vitamins.

A. Whether increasing one's intake of vitamins can compensate. If it can compensate then the argument is weakened as people could just compensate. If people can't compensate then the argument is strengthened.

B. If the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs ARE present then would this mean the fat replenishes the body with those vitamins or absorbs those vitamins instead? Its really unclear and we would need to spin a story here.

C is incorrect as it is beyond the scope of the argument.

D. is beyond the scope of the argument and thus incorrect.

E. the argument isn't a question of taste, its a question of subsistence on a lack of vitamins versus consumption of fat that contains required vitamins. Incorrect.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 21:42
Hi!!
Excellent ! I got useful information here. Thank you!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 12:13
ApekshaRana wrote:
GMATNinja: Request your insights
I opted for Option C. My reasoning for the same is as follows -
C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger a person’s health
- If having an extremely low fat intake endangers a person health then the person is bound to take artificial fat inspite of the fact that it absorbs some vitamins which might be vital for the body (given the doc has already adviced him/ her to cut on fat, artificial fat is his only option);
- If having an extremely low fat intake does not have any negative impact on a person's health then the person may stop consuming it.

Though i understand the reasoning behind option A which is the official answer, i could not get why A is better than C.

To answer this question, we need to evaluate the columnist's position that "people should avoid using a certain artificial fat." The correct answer choice will raise a question that, if answered, would help us to determine the soundness of this position.

(C) would tell us whether extremely low fat intake for an extended period of time endangers health or not. Sure, that's interesting information, but how would it effect the columnist's specific position that people should avoid consuming this particular artificial fat?

If extremely low fat consumption can endanger health, then people could replace some of their fat intake with this artificial fat, while still consuming enough non-artificial fat to avoid the dangers of "extremely low" fat consumption.

In addition, while we know that this artificial fat has "none of the negative health effects of fat," we do not know if it retains positive effects that non-artificial fats can have on health. Outside of the vitamin absorption issue, maybe using this artificial fat as a substitute does not lead to any loss of those positive effects. Maybe it does. We don't have enough information to know.

Lastly, remember WHY the columnist is taking this position: because there's a very specific drawback that the columnist is worried about when it comes to this artificial fat (absorption of vitamins that would otherwise be available for use by the body). The information provided in choice (A) addresses this concern precisely.

(C) isn't the worst of our five choices, but for all of these reasons, it's a worse choice than (A), and that's why we ultimately eliminate it.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2019, 12:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics