It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 546

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Advanced CR: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 11:37
Hi,
IMO it should be C.
I did narrowed down the choice between B & C.
Reason for rejecting B: Doesn't matter that vitamins are present or not.. as if they are present.. then get absorbed (mentioned in the stem), and if not present in food then good.. as no drawback.
hence left with C.
Please guide my reasoning.
Thanks
Celestial

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 546

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 28

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
Reviews Badge
Advanced CR: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 14:10
Imo A

The columnist seems to focused on the lack of nutrition

B is out of scope because the passage isn't about foods with fat

C close but the extended period section is out of scope

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 28

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 240

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 18:08
Really close one between A and B. I pick B.

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 240

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2015, 02:07
Undoubtedly A,

Doesn't seem like a 700-level question!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 05:04
souvik101990 wrote:
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake. Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat

(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat

(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health

(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats

(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats

1. If A is true, the argument falls apart .Hence needs to be considered and hence correct.
2. B is irrelevant
3. C does not talk about artificial fat.
4. D,E Out of scope

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 123

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake. Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

In evaluating the columnist's position, it would be most useful to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat
(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat
(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health
(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats
(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats

Regards,
Sam GM

Kudos please...

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 123

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 547 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2015, 01:38
My 2 cents..
[Conclusion] Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake.

[Premise]
Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback: it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

>> We can nullify the - effect of the AF by if this is true else conclusion stands valid.

>> irrelevant.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 547 [0], given: 606

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Schools: ISB '16 (A)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2015, 07:03
I believe the answer is (B) as the argument given by the columnist is that the serious drawback of artificial fat is that it absorbs "certain" essential vitamins that are otherwise used by the body. Now the first thing that we need to determine is that whether the food which contains artificial fat actually contains those "certain" vitamins which can be absorbed by the artificial fat. If those vitamins are not present in the food, then the argument won't hold in first place.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 11:55
sidhant10 wrote:
I believe the answer is (B) as the argument given by the columnist is that the serious drawback of artificial fat is that it absorbs "certain" essential vitamins that are otherwise used by the body. Now the first thing that we need to determine is that whether the food which contains artificial fat actually contains those "certain" vitamins which can be absorbed by the artificial fat. If those vitamins are not present in the food, then the argument won't hold in first place.

true, i agree with your explanation. the "CERTAIN ESSENTIAL VITAMINS" part is very important. you can nullify the effect but does it validate or invalidate the fact that the extra vitamins belong to that set of "CERTAIN ESSENTIAL VITAMINS"?? what if those extra vitamins also get absorbed?? i was down to A and B obviously but chose B over A only because of the "CERTAIN ESSENTIAL VITAMINS" part. Experts help please???

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 123

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 11:55
This topic have been merged with: http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic-48998.html

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 123

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2015, 05:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Advanced CR: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 00:18
Hi Souvik101990,

I can understand the reasoning behind A.But I have a doubt regarding choice B.

Option B says that "Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat".Now if a vitamin,which is generally absorbed by the fat, can be present in the same food with the fat,then that means the fat cannot absorb that vitamin and the entire argument falls apart.So doesn't B qualify as the correct answer choice??

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 99

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 04:19
stevegt wrote:

The health problem is that artificial fat absorbs certain essential vitamins, and hence prevent these vitamins to be used by the body.

We have to evaluate the argument and focus only on the 'absorption and utilization of vitamins' by the body.

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat. That means external intake of vitamins can compensate the poor absorption. This is certainly helping to evaluate the argument.
(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat. We are concerned about the absorption or availability of the vitamins to body. Presence of vitamins doesn't promise the availability.
(C) Whether having an extremely low fat intake for an extended period can endanger the health. not concerned about endangering health.
(D) Whether there are any foods that cannot be prepared using the artificial fat as a substitute for other fats. Not concerned about preparing food using artificial fat.
(E) Whether people are generally able to detect differences in taste between foods prepared using the artificial fat and foods that are similar except for the use of other fats. Not concerned about the taste

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 09:48
When you are asked to evaluate a CR question you have to find the answer that can strengthen or weaken the argument with respect to the response you give. It is necessary to have both outcomes when evaluating the sentence.

(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat. If yes, does this means that the vitamin contained in the food compensate for the loss from the artifical fat? Maybe yes, maybe no so we don't realy know. If no, then nothing really happens with the argument.

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat. If yes, this means that medical advice can still be valid giving that the corresponding patient can take vitamins to compensate for this loss. The argument is destroyed and the columnist's advice is no longer valid.
If no, it completely supports the columnist's claim because it confirms the negative effect from the artificial fat.

This advice is taken from Magoosh, Manhattan and GMAT Official materials.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 108

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 14:25
conclusion: People should avoid using artificial FAT.
Reason given for this conclusion: artificial FAT is dangerous because it absorbs essential vitamins.

IF you can remove that danger then intake of artificial FAT is fine. is there a way? is there something that can balance out the absorbed vitamin? choice A presents the similar statement to evaluate.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 108

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 66

GMAT Date: 03-08-2015
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 05:49
According to me, the conclusion in this argument is:People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake

And it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body. - is the premise which is helping the conclusion.

According to my understanding, in evaluate questions, the answer should affect the conclusion. Could you explain how A affects the conclusion here.
I selected C here,my reasoning:
low fat intake endangers health?Yes: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat (strengthened)
low fat intake endangers health?No: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat (Weakened)

I see A is affecting just the premise. Am I missing something?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 66

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 03:00
Most people seem to have a contention between A and B.

(B) Whether the vitamins that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods that contain the fat (The artificial fat would absorb the vitamins which is present in the food)

(A) Whether increasing one's intake of the vitamins can compensate for the effects of the artificial fat (Thus, you will have to increase your vitamin intake)

Answer is A.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 253

Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 03:41
This post received
KUDOS
Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial fat that has been touted as a resource for those whose medical advisers have advised them to reduce their fat intake.

Although the artificial fat, which can be used in place of fat in food preparation, has none of the negative health effects of fat, it does have a serious drawback:

it absorbs certain essential vitamins, thereby preventing them from being used by the body.

the question is not that the artificial fat absorbs are present in foods or not. Even if it is not present in food, the absorption can happen in body itself. if you ingest artificial fat and it absorbs essential vitamin inside the body,reventing them from being used by the body - still the harm.

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 253

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 76

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 08:30
stevegt wrote:

Answer to A can help to strengthen/weaken the conclusion. Rest are out of scope

If my post was helpful, feel free to give kudos!

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Schools: Insead Sept '17
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 05:35
Hi !
I felt the answer must be B.
I feel option A is also a good statement but i don't understand why not to pick B ?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Columnist: People should avoid using a certain artificial   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2017, 05:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 63 posts ]