It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columnist: The winner of this year's national spelling bee

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Re: National spelling bee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2009, 13:00
netcaesar wrote:
I do not know how to reason the following CR. Please help:

Columnist: The winner of this year's national spelling bee won by correctly spelling the spoken word Ursprache, which means "fame" in German. Given the richness of our language, why must we resort to words taken from modern foreign languages to challenge our best spellers? Ursprache is listed in our dictionary, as are words from many other foreign languages, but future spelling bees should limit themselves to words in our dictionary that have been anglicized in all aspects because spelling English words, not knowledge of linguistics and international phonetics, is the point of these contests.

Which of the following can most reasonably be inferred from the argument above?

The spelling contest winner knew how to spell most of the anglicized words in the dictionary.

Foreign words are more difficult than anglicized words for all contestants to spell.

Spelling contestant winners should be determined by their facility with all aspects of language.

To spell foreign words, contestants must recognize the language and know its pronunciation.

The English language contains more borrowed words than most other languages.

D is the rephrase of the bold part..
hence D is the correct answer..

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2009, 15:03
Can you infer something that is stated?

The OA is D

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2009, 17:11
D
To spell foreign words, contestants must recognize the language and know its pronunciation.

exactly what the last part of the passage says...

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 9

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 383 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2009, 01:13
Yep, D

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 383 [0], given: 106

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2009, 01:37
+1 for D

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 860 [0], given: 18

Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2009, 03:54
netcaesar wrote:

The OA is D

Yes, very much. Inference questions fall under the category of 'must be true' questions. So these questions must ONLY contain information from the stem. Paraphrasing some part of the stem is also a valid answer. For attacking these type of questions one should keep in mind that NO outside information will be present in the right answer :)

Kudos [?]: 860 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2009, 12:08
netcaesar wrote:

The OA is D

It's not explicitly stated. Inferences are "almost" stated, but not written in the form of a statement.

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 24

WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Columnist: The winner of this year's national spelling bee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 10:17
Only D can be inferred from the stimulus. By POE, I was able to eliminate all the out of scope and irrelevant choices. D stands out.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Pay attention to every detail"

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User
Columnist: The winner of this year's national spelling bee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 00:03
Go for D. What I can infer from the passage: spelling foreign words require knowledge of linguistics and international phonetics.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 148

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 06:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 07:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 22:37
Columnist: The winner of this year's national spelling bee won by correctly spelling the spoken word Ursprache, which means "fame" in German. Given the richness of our language, why must we resort to words taken from modern foreign languages to challenge our best spellers? Ursprache is listed in our dictionary, as are words from many other foreign languages, but future spelling bees should limit themselves to words in our dictionary that have been anglicized in all aspects because spelling English words, not knowledge of linguistics and international phonetics, is the point of these contests.

a)The spelling contest winner knew how to spell most of the anglicized words in the dictionary.
b)Foreign words are more difficult than anglicized words for all contestants to spell.
c)Spelling contestant winners should be determined by their facility with all aspects of language.
d)To spell foreign words, contestants must recognize the language and know its pronunciation.
e)The English language contains more borrowed words than most other languages.

The essence of this argument lies in its first line wherein the author/columnist is stating that the spelling bee winner won by spelling the spoken word correctly. So he must have deduced the spelling from the pronunciation of the judge. Hence D fits the bill.

Choice A - not necessary - we can't deduce the information from the argument.
Choice B - again it mentions richness in the native language and blah blah but doesn't draw a comparison
Choice C - cant deduce that
Choice E - cant deduce that

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 23:00
ArvGMAT wrote:

a)The spelling contest winner knew how to spell most of the anglicized words in the dictionary.
b)Foreign words are more difficult than anglicized words for all contestants to spell.
c)Spelling contestant winners should be determined by their facility with all aspects of language.
d)To spell foreign words, contestants must recognize the language and know its pronunciation.

The correct answer here is D. The contestant here has to know all the aspects of word such as in which language does it belong and the phonetics. However spelling be contest are designed to test the contestants spelling capability regardless of other aspects of the word. And most of the words from other foreign languages are already been anglicized in the english language dictionary. Hence the correct choice which represent what all contestant has to know apart from the spelling word.

------------------------------------------------------
If you like the post, please give your kudos

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1001 [0], given: 80

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 21:56

Type - Inference

a)The spelling contest winner knew how to spell most of the anglicized words in the dictionary. - This may be true but is not must be true
b)Foreign words are more difficult than anglicized words for all contestants to spell. - Out of scope
c)Spelling contestant winners should be determined by their facility with all aspects of language. - it's nearly impossible for a statement containing "should" to be required . Also this goes against what the argument says
d)To spell foreign words, contestants must recognize the language and know its pronunciation. - the mention of "knowledge of linguistics and international phonetics" in the passage; this implies that correct spelling of foreign (non-english) words requires such knowledge.
e)The English language contains more borrowed words than most other languages. - Out of scope

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1001 [0], given: 80

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 13

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 08:31
I took 4 mins to choose the correct answer. I'm getting too slow. :(

Never give up !

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 22:40
D is the answer.

A: Here, the winner doesn't have to know how to spell most of the anglicized words in the dictionary.

B: Here, It is not necessary that all of the contestant will find foreign words more difficult.

C: Here, this is what author is against of.

D: This is correct answer, the author wants to exclude foreign words because author wants spelling bee should be based on spelling ability , not on the "knowledge of linguistics and international Phonetics."

E: This might be true but not necessarily.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 123

Schools: ISB '18
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 07:40
ArvGMAT wrote:

The argument states that spelling English words, not knowledge of linguistics and international phonetics, is the point of these contests.

Option D states "To spell foreign words, contestants must recognize the language and know its pronunciation".If this is not the case why would the author state that the foreign words should not be included in the competition mentioning the premise that spelling English words, not knowledge of linguistics and international phonetics, is the point of these contests.

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 123

Re: Columnist: The winner of this year's national spelling bee   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 07:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

Columnist: The winner of this year's national spelling bee

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap