Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea [#permalink]
Between path vs paths, what is correct here? got confused here. Subject is singular because collective noun. so path is right?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TBT wrote:
Between path vs paths, what is correct here? got confused here. Subject is singular because collective noun. so path is right?

Good question. It is just the context here (no grammar).

Since the sentence is talking about obstacles in their path to survival, we are talking the path taken by the entire species and not individual paths chartered by individual members.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea [#permalink]
Expert Reply
SignUp wrote:

Clears up a lot on how there are many ways to a correct answer . However even though to have been sounded right to my ear , but I’ve read that the Present perfect is used for actions that started in the past and continue to the present or remain true to the present . Hence why I eliminated B at the first pass and never got back to it . Any help on how to avoid these traps ? Or is there a lack of basic foundations in my learning ?

Posted from my mobile device

Hello SignUp,

Hope you are doing well. I am not sure if you still have this doubt, but I feel that many test takers have the same confusion regarding the tense of "have been equipped". Hence, my explanation. :)

Most of the test takers look at the verb in the correct answer Choice B the way you have analyzed it. However, if we carefully look at the sentence, the verb for the subject "the Neanderthals" is "appear". Please note that "have been equipped" is NOT a verb because it is preceded by "to". The phrase "to have been equipped" is the direct object of the verb "appear". Since "to have been equipped" is NOT a verb, it CAN NOT have a tense. Only verbs have tenses. So, there is no question of the action of being equipped to be in the present context.

The point to note here is that in the structure, "appear to have been equipped", "appear" is the simple present tense verb, and the phrase "to have been equipped" presents an action that took place in the past. This is how this phrase works.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
TBT

"Neanderthals" is not a collective here; it's a plural. In any case, the subject of the sentence doesn't dictate whether any subsequent nouns we encounter are singular or plural. I'd use the meaning approach described by EducationAisle above.

However, that would only be if I needed to make this distinction. It's very important to notice the big structural and meaning issues in the question first. As soon as I get to "Neanderthals appear as equipped," I stop everything and look for a fix. ACD are immediately out, and so I literally never even read the word "paths." Since these answers are out for a clear reason, we don't have to assume that "paths" is inherently wrong; it's more that none of the answers that contain it are viable. We can still learn from studying other differences among the choices, but if someone is looking at path vs. paths when doing this question timed for the first time, I'd argue that they are not working the problem efficiently.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal GMATNinja CrackverbalGMAT

What kind of verb is 'to have been'
I know that 'have been' is present participle meaning that the action has some influence even today, so how does this sentence's correct answer "appear to have been equipped' mean something different. It doesn't mean that this action has some influence today ,it is past tense.

But i dont understand how?
i have faced similar issue in other questions as well, I think. Please help
many thanks!

tejal777 wrote:
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

Attachment:
01.jpg

Attachment:
02.jpg
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yeloo

In this context, you can think of "to have been" as the infinitive "to be" shifted to the past:

If we were observing something current, we could say "They appear to be equipped." Since we are discussing something in the past, we shift to "They appear to have been equipped." It isn't the present perfect, but in some uses it gets called a "perfect infinitive."

So why use the infinitive at all? We need it to form the phrase "appear to be." Normally, we'd shift this to the past by changing the main verb: "She appeared to be happy." But in this case, the "appearance" is happening now. The only part we want to shift is when they were equipped. That's where "appear to have been" comes in.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
yeloo wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal GMATNinja CrackverbalGMAT

What kind of verb is 'to have been'
I know that 'have been' is present participle meaning that the action has some influence even today, so how does this sentence's correct answer "appear to have been equipped' mean something different. It doesn't mean that this action has some influence today ,it is past tense.

But i dont understand how?
i have faced similar issue in other questions as well, I think. Please help
many thanks!

tejal777 wrote:
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

Attachment:
01.jpg

Attachment:
02.jpg

Hi yeloo!

"Have been" is indeed a form of the present perfect tense, which is typically used to connect past actions to the present.

However, in the phrase "appear to have been equipped," "have been equipped" isn't really referring to an action that is still having an influence today. Instead, it's being used to express the state or condition of the Neanderthals in the past from the perspective of the present.

Remember, on GMAT SC (while it still exists) is often about usage and meaning rather than just grammar rules. So while "have been" often implies ongoing relevance, context matters a lot. In this context, "appear to have been equipped" simply suggests that, based on current evidence, the Neanderthals seemed well-equipped in the past.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Once the options are narrowed down to B & E - B is grammatically more sound. However, I saw the last line and it mentions "led to their extinction". So, apparently, the Neanderthals are extinct? And if they are, how can we use present "appear" (option B)?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
aidenazaar wrote:
Once the options are narrowed down to B & E - B is grammatically more sound. However, I saw the last line and it mentions "led to their extinction". So, apparently, the Neanderthals are extinct? And if they are, how can we use present "appear" (option B)?

We aren't talking about a past tense appearing action done by the Neanderthals. (For example: "Tim was walking through the woods when a Neanderthal named Link suddenly appeared." Early 90s movie trivia, anyone?)

Instead, this sentence is describing how things currently appear to a present-day observer (based on evidence of the past). Here, have another example:

"The squirrel appears to have died while trying to cross the street."

The squirrel may have died in the past, but we're talking about how things currently appear based on the evidence and whatever else we know.

For more on that point, check out these posts from earlier in the thread:

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts