GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 22:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 03:21
Difficult question. In order to correctly answer this question, I think one needs to know about 'perfect infinitive'.

I would like to add that 'paths' is also wrong here. Because it means every neanderthal had his or her own path:)

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Director
Director
G
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 23:12
Ergenekon wrote:
Difficult question. In order to correctly answer this question, I think one needs to know about 'perfect infinitive'.

Strictly speaking, even without knowing perfect infinitives, the correct answer can be arrived at, through process of elimination.

equipped to is the right idiom and so, A and E are out. C and D use paths, but since the sentence refers to the Neanderthals collectively as a species, the use of paths is incorrect.

Nevertheless, knowledge of perfect infinitives can come in handy on GMAT, because they can indeed be tested and are very flexible: They can act either as present perfect, past perfect or (in some rare cases) as simple past, and always indicate that the action in the perfect infinitive happened before the action of the main verb of the clause.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses perfect infinitive, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section. In fact, it’s interesting that our book actually refers to this very official question in the section on perfect infinitives.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA , IIMB, IIMC
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 19:57
If in C we replace paths with path, will that be the correct sentence?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 20:03
Naina1 wrote:
If in C we replace paths with path, will that be the correct sentence?

hi Naina1,

what is this question testing....
1) appear as vs appear to...
appear as someone/something eg.. moon appears as a ball from earth...
appear to be... as in this case, appear to have been equipped is correct..

2) appear vs appeared..
as we are talking of future in past ('could' shows future of a past event ).... and also we are talking in present about a past incident.. appear wins over appeared..
3) a small point .. in most cases you will find infinitive form equipped to face better than equipped for facing..

lets see choice C if paths is changed to path..
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

as you can see appear as is not appropriate here .. appear to is better used here..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 00:04
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
usage of "appear as" shows that they still appear hence wrong + for facing doesn't conveys the intended meaning

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
Correct

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
same as A + paths must be path

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
Usage of "appeared as" showed in past hence changes the intended meaning + paths must be path

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
Same as D

Hence B
Ans

Regards
SG
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 12:56
Quote:
this isn't a present perfect construction, because it's actually an infinitive.
i.e., it's not "they have been equipped"; it's "they appear TO HAVE been equipped".

in any case, you should probably just memorize this construction as a one-off idiomatic structure. if you say "they seemed/appeared to...", then, no matter how remote the event is (in time), you use this construction.

for instance:
it seems that the students cheated on the exam
(normal past tense in this construction)
but...
the students seem to have cheated on the exam
(not here)

i don't really have a good explanation for this, other than "i'm a writer with a firm command of formal english, and i know that it is so" and "you should just think of it as an idiom". sorry i can't do better than that.

in any case, though, you DO have to use an infinitive after "appear" or "seem" in this sort of construction. and if you think about it, this is as past-tense as an infinitive can get. so that's why you have to use it.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Queens MBA Thread Master
Concentration: Leadership, General Management

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 07:47
Before Jumping to Question let's talk about usage of As
used to
1. Compare - " Ganguly is as good as Sachin (is)" , here as needs clause "Sachin is"
2. Simultaneous Action - "I am talking as I am writing " Here as needs clause "I am writing"
3. Role - "I am working as Tester" - Here as need noun.

above are roles played by As, if As is not playing any of the above role in your sentence then it is wrong (to almost in every occurrence ")

Meaning Analysis :
the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle, but reality is different. (Shortcut meaning - Excuse me for this)

POE
"As" in option A,c and D does not play any standard role as mentioned above. More over, as is not followed by full clause. Hence option A,C and D can be marked incorrect on this ground.

In option B and Option E, only difference is
"equipped to face" Vs "equipped for facing" Here Equipped for is not correct, we always say "I am equipped to solve this efficiently" we never say "I am equipped for doing x work"
Moreover Infinitve is used to show the purpose instead of preposition (For).

"Neanderthals appear as equipped" (for some purpose )"to face any obstacle.

Hence option B is correct
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 07:49
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, - usage of as is incorrect - As is used for comparison , to denote simultaneous action , role and reason . Usage of "for facing" is also incorrect here as it fails to present the intent of being equipped.
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, - Correct
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths, - usage of as is incorrect ;The use of paths is incorrect since the sentence refers to the Neanderthals collectively as a species
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths, - usage of as is incorrect ; Simple present is needed as the sentence presents some general facts about Neanderthals.
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, - Usage of "for facing" is also incorrect here as it fails to present the intent of being equipped. Simple present is needed as the sentence presents some general facts about Neanderthals.

Answer B

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 22:48
The option D isn't correctly typed in the question.
I think it should have "paths" in the end.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 03:34
nainy05 wrote:
The option D isn't correctly typed in the question.
I think it should have "paths" in the end.

In my opinion, "path" is OK. It is not meant that each Neanderthal had a different path. As a group they had a path, though "paths" would also be alright.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 14:29
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence,the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,but their relatively sudden disappearnce during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led o their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 20:08
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path
- "as equipped for facing" = INCORRECT. should be "appeared TO face"

- correct as is

- "paths" should be "path"

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
- "appeared" should be "appear" to maintain //ism with verb outside of underline "indicates"

- same as "A" ("for facing" error). same as "D" ("appeared" error)

tricky problem. key takeaways:
> "appeared FOR facing" = incorrect structure; "appeared TO face" = ideal structure
> LOOK OUTSIDE OF SENTENCE TO GAUGE VERB TENSE (i.e. spot "indicates" -- means sentence is PRESENT TENSE...therefore, "appeared" = INCORRECT)

Kudos please if you find helpful :)
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 02:51
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence,the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,but their relatively sudden disappearnce during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led o their extinction.

NOTE : This question gives us a BIG TAKEAWAY, never miss the non-underlined part. Read the complete sentence. Because here from the non-underlined part we come to know about the TENSE of the sentence, which helps in choosing between appear VS appeared!

ANALYSING THE ERRORS IN THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE :

1. equipped to VERB VS equipped for VERBING
Equipped To VERB -- IDIOMATIC USAGE
Equipped For VERBING -- NON IDIOMATIC USAGE

2. appear as equipped VS appeared as equipped VS appear to have been equipped
Appear as equipped -- it implies as if neanderthals right now appear as equipped. However, as per the intended meaning of the sentence neanderthals are extinct now. INCORRECT
Appear to have been equipped -- when we say that Neanderthals appear to have been equipped, we do not mean that neanderthals are equipped right now. They were equipped sometime in the past. However, this fact is what appears to us now.
Appeared as equipped -- The use of simple present ‘indicates’ in the second independent clause indicates that the sentence is talking about the present. Therefore, we need simple present “appear” as the verb, instead of “appeared”. Logically also, the sentence seems to say that it ‘appears’ that Neanderthals were equipped. It doesn’t seem to say that it so appeared in the past but not now.

3. PATH vs PATHS
As we are talking of a single obstacle, so we must be talking of a single path and not multiple paths. Therefore, usage of "path" is logical.

After POE, only choice B remains.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 12:43
Why is "appear to have been equipped" in Option C better than "appeared to have been equipped" in Option D?

It is talking about past; why is "appeared" incorrect?

Thanks
Avijit
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 06:33
avijit8888 wrote:
Why is "appear to have been equipped" in Option C better than "appeared to have been equipped" in Option D?

Thanks
Avijit

The split "appear" / "appeared" is only to confuse the candidates - both are correct. Option D is wrong because of use of the wrong idiom " appear as".

The thought process for solving this problem may go as follows:
Split 1: "appear / "appeared": both make sense - cannot eliminate any option.
Split 2: "appear as" / "appear to be": "appear as" wrong - means to come in sight as something (e.g., He appeared as a joker in the circus.) Eliminate A,C and D.
Split 3: "to face" / "for facing": "for facing" wrong - purpose requires use of infinitive "to face" - eliminate E.
Correct Option B.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 05:11
Check out our detailed video solution to this problem here:
https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-soluti ... ection_755

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 03:28
I do not 100% understand why the OA of this question is B.

As I thought this question is stating about neanderthals (a kind of human from the past) so the tense should be past simple -> I omit A, B, and C.

We have the idiom "appear to V" and it is "to V"; therefore, why can't we state "appear to be equipped" but "appear to have been equipped" like the OA?

Thank you so much for your precious response, I really appreciate that!
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 20:50
avijit8888 wrote:

Thanks
Avijit

simdang wrote:
I do not 100% understand why the OA of this question is B.

As I thought this question is stating about neanderthals (a kind of human from the past) so the tense should be past simple -> I omit A, B, and C.

We have the idiom "appear to V" and it is "to V"; therefore, why can't we state "appear to be equipped" but "appear to have been equipped" like the OA?

Thank you so much for your precious response, I really appreciate that!

Ron's answer -

by default, "appear" is in the present tense, since we're talking about the way these things appear to present-day observers.

if there were a context that would place "appear" in the past, then you could use the past tense. for instance: to nineteenth-century observers, they appeared to have been equipped...
but, absent such a context, you should go with the present, for simplicity (the default assumption is that this "appears" to be the case to present observers).

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

in this case, you've also got parallelism between "appear" and "indicates", two descriptions that both describe observations made in the present.
since "indicates" is not underlined, that determines the tense context. so your other observation, which is made at the same time, should be parallel to it.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

"to have VERBed" is a type of infinitive that refers to actions in a timeframe previous to the timeframe of the sentence itself. this is actually the only kind of infinitive that can do this, so it will take the same form regardless of the tense of the main clause.

so, if you write
"the students seem to have cheated"
then
* the sentence itself is in the present ("seem"). so, the sentence is talking about the way things appear to a present observer.
* according to that present observer, it seems to be the case that the students cheated at some point in the past.

if you write
"the students seemed to have cheated"
then
* the sentence itself is in the past ("seemed"). so, the sentence is talking about the way things appeared to a past observer.
* according to that past observer, it seems to be the case that the students cheated at some point earlier in the past.

Mitch's answer

In English, we have two infinitive tenses: the present infinitive (TO + VERB) and the perfect infinitive (TO + HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE).

The present infinitive expresses CONTEMPORANEOUS action (an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as the main action):
John IS proud TO BE president.
Here, John IS proud (in the present) TO BE president (also in the present).

The perfect infinitive expresses PRIOR action (an action that happened PRIOR to the main action):
John IS proud TO HAVE BEEN president.
Here, John IS proud (in the present) TO HAVE BEEN president (in the past).

One definition of to appear is to seem.
The intention of the SC above is to discuss WHAT SEEMS TO BE TRUE about the Neanderthals.
The Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle..
Here, the Neanderthals APPEAR (in other words, they SEEM -- right now, in the present) TO HAVE BEEN EQUIPPED (in the past).

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '17

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 23:03
tejal777 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 755
Page: 700

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, (correct idiom is as...as), second as missing

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, to face better than for facing in E + later in sentence we have indicates ; appeared and indicates is not same tense

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths, (correct idiom is as...as), second as missing

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, (correct idiom is as...as), second as missing

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 20:19
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

Hello @e-gmat / daagh -

Could you please explain the usage of have been in choice B. -
I understand that "appear" needs to be preferred over "appeared" because the act of appearing did not happen in the past.
Also, the verb equipped is an adverb here (modifying the verb appear). So we need to convey the meaning in a way so that it is clear that the act of appearing is of the present
but we are eventually talking about past. In short , we need to bring in a flavor of past tense here.
so in choice B - we are doing this with present perfect (in passive voice) - My question is why present perfect . Shouldn't we be using past tense here. I believe,
we can use present perfect on below conditions -
1> event over in recent past but has effect till now
2> there is a continuity in event and it is still continuing,
3> event in past but we don't have any timeline.

Now i know - we can't use (appear as "verb form") . Correct usage is (appear as noun) / (appear to be verb). With "appear to be ..." - i am not sure how can we use a past tense. So B is the best choice but i am not able to find a grammatical reasoning for this. Please help.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jul 2018, 20:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap