Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea [#permalink]
Hi.

In option (B):
...appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path...
doesn't it seem as if the action of "Equipping" started in the past and going on till now (even if Neanderthals are dead now)!?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea [#permalink]
Correct option : B

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

Elimination:
Eliminate A, and E
- Using wrong prepositional "for" with verb - "facing"
- in option A, appeared "as", it is a comparasion indicator, using "as" makes statement intended meaning demean.
- "appeared" is past tense, wrongly refered, makes sentence meaning ambiguity
(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path

Eliminate option C, and D
- appear "as" - as mentioned in flaw for A
- Usage of Prepositional "To" incorrect as per required intented meaning
- Paths - plural, to singular the "Neanderthals" - SV Error
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

Left with correct option : B
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Correct option : B
Eliminate A, C, and D
- "As" is a comparison degree indicator
- Preposition "for" is used for a reason to decribe, wrongly refer to verb "facing", make "equipped for" wrong
- Tense error -"appeared"
(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

Eliminate : E, for tense error, and equipped for
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path

Good Choice: B
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
egmat wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Here goes the answer to your question:

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

Neanderthals existed in the past. They do not exist anymore. But the way this sentence has been written, it suggests that they still exist. They “appear” as equipped…. This is the flaw in this sentence. We need a verb that suggests that Neanderthals are extinct.

Now let’s see the sentence with the correct answer choice:

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

This choice corrects the verb tense error in the original sentence. Verb phrase “appear to have been equipped” correctly suggests that Neanderthals when alive were equipped to face any environmental problem. They were equipped at that time.

If choice B were worded as “appear to be equipped to face…”, it would be incorrect because again it would convey the same meaning as Choice A.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha.

Thanks for the explanation, But I have a doubt regarding "to have been equipped", isn't it is a to + verb, denoting "intention", Now it looks like someone intentionally equipped them with something, but that's not the meaning right?
That's why I ignored, all the sentences containing "to have been equipped"

Please help me to understand, what exactly I am missing?

Thanks & Regards
Sid
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea [#permalink]
egmat wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

Neanderthals existed in the past. They do not exist anymore. But the way this sentence has been written, it suggests that they still exist. They “appear” as equipped…. This is the flaw in this sentence. We need a verb that suggests that Neanderthals are extinct.

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

This choice corrects the verb tense error in the original sentence. Verb phrase “appear to have been equipped” correctly suggests that Neanderthals when alive were equipped to face any environmental problem. They were equipped at that time.

If choice B were worded as “appear to be equipped to face…”, it would be incorrect because again it would convey the same meaning as Choice A.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Can someone pls help me with my below doubt -

I understand in this question as "have been equipped" comes after 'to' so it is not a verb .

But I also read in another @e-gmat article that even if hypothetically 'have been equipped' was a verb it would be present perfect tense and not present perfect continuous tense. Can someone explain to me why please.

Is it because for present perfect continuous we need have been <Verb in ing form> and as that is not the case so this is present perfect .

If above is true , can you explain how 'been' is correctly used in the above present perfect
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
KARISHMA315 wrote:
I understand in this question as "have been equipped" comes after 'to' so it is not a verb .

That's correct KARISHMA315. "to have been equipped" is called "perfect infinitive". Please refer to this post for details.

Quote:
Is it because for present perfect continuous we need have been <Verb in ing form> and as that is not the case so this is present perfect .

Yes, all "continuous" forms would have Verbing form.

Quote:
If above is true , can you explain how 'been' is correctly used in the above present perfect

Basically, present perfect has the following structure:

has/have + past participle

"been" is the past participle of "to be".

So, it's like this:

John is sick.
- Simple present

John was sick.
- Simple Past

John has been sick.
- Present perfect

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Present perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KARISHMA315 wrote:
egmat wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Can someone pls help me with my below doubt -

But I also read in another @e-gmat article that even if hypothetically 'have been equipped' was a verb it would be present perfect tense and not present perfect continuous tense. Can someone explain to me why please.

Hello KARISHMA315,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Here, the use of the present perfect continuous tense would be incorrect because this tense is used to refer to actions that began in the past and continue into the present, and since Neanderthals are extinct, naturally, we cannot say that they continue to be equipped to face any obstacle.

Further, the use of "have been" is correct, as a present perfect tense verb has been utilized in the passive voice. "have been" is used in both present perfect continuous verb phrases and in the passive version of present perfect verb phrases.

For example: "Rose has fixed the pipes." versus "The pipes have been fixed by Rose."

The key to distinguishing between the two usages is that the present perfect continuous tense always features the present participle ("verb+ing"), and the present perfect tense, whether passive or active, features a past particle.

For example: "Rose has fixed the pipes." (present perfect) versus "Rose has been fixing the pipes." (present perfect continuous).

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
KARISHMA315 wrote:

That's correct KARISHMA315. "to have been equipped" is called "perfect infinitive". Please refer to this post for details.

Quote:

Yes, all "continuous" forms would have Verbing form.

Quote:

Basically, present perfect has the following structure:

has/have + past participle

"been" is the past participle of "to be".

So, it's like this:

John is sick.
- Simple present

John was sick.
- Simple Past

John has been sick.
- Present perfect

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Present perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks a lot !!!!
So in this case as the main verb of the sentence is "appears" in present tense , the perfect infinitives indicates the the event happened before (so the equipped part is before )?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KARISHMA315 wrote:
So in this case as the main verb of the sentence is "appears" in present tense , the perfect infinitives indicates the the event happened before (so the equipped part is before )?

That seems correct.

Incidentally, hope you noticed that the example mentioned in our book (of perfect infinitive) is actually based on the sentence that is being discussed in this thread.

The example is:

Farmers in Neolithic era appear to have adopted permanent settlement for the first time in human history.
- to have adopted is perfect infinitive.

Again, notice that the main verb appear is simple present. Hence, perfect infinitive acts as simple past in the above sentence, appropriately suggesting that the act of adopting permanent settlement happened in the past.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea [#permalink]
GMATGuruNY wrote:
To express a general truth, we use the SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE.
In the non-underlined portion, the usage of indicates -- simple present tense -- makes it clear that the intent is discuss a GENERAL TRUTH about the Neanderthals and their disappearance.
For this reason, the two main verbs must be in the simple present tense, as follows:
The Neanderthals APPEAR to have been equipped, but their disappearance INDICATES...an inability.

Hi GMATGuruNY - In th red - you mention APPEAR and INDICATES are a GENERAL TRUTH and THUS, BOTH VERBS HAVE TO BE in the present tense. I dont see why APPEAR and INDICATES have to be simeltenously taking place in the present tense.

Specifically - i thought it is possible that APPEAR be in the past tense even though INDICATE is a general truth.

Reason -

If you read the green per my screenshot , it essentially says - whatever is mentioned in the yellow modifier specifically is factually wrong.

Thus -- i thought the verb APPEAR could be in the present tense or could be in the past tense. Why ?

Well, we dont know if Neanderthals still "Appear that way" in the present tense because that appearance has been proved to be factually wrong.

Its possible that Neanderthals NO LONGER APPEAR that way (in the present tense), they did APPEAR a specific way in the past.
Attachments

jpeg 2.JPG
jpeg 2.JPG [ 154.26 KiB | Viewed 2000 times ]

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 04 Mar 2022, 20:19.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 07 Mar 2022, 14:53, edited 15 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
^^ GMATGuruNY

As an analogy - which makes more logical sense -- appeared or apears ?

Quote:
Analogy : The earth (APPEARED/APPEARS) to have been born 5 billion years ago but Research X prooves that Earth was born 2 billion years ago.

I would say APPEARED makes as much sense as APPEARS does. Because the modifier in the yellow is prooven to be factually wrong because of Research X - - Hence earth NO LONGER appears to have been born 5 billion years ago (ever since reearch x prooved that thikning wrong)

Thoughts ?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM