Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6340 [300]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [76]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [13]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Comcorp Shipping Clerk: Last week, no shipments of building supplies [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
This is an inference question. We are given a series of facts, and then asked to draw an inference. On inference questions, the bar is very high -> the correct answer must 100% without a doubt be true.

Comcorp Shipping Clerk: Last week, no shipments of building supplies were sent out on friday. The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Thursday, and each of those specially ordered shipments consisted entirely of building supplies. Four shipments were sent to Truax Construction last week, none of which consisted of building supplies.

If the shipping clerk's statements are true, which of the following must also be true?

a. All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were specially ordered.
We know that all of the specially ordered shipments contain building supplies, but some others could have contained building supplies as well. Do not reverse the argument!

b. None of Comcorp's shipments sent on friday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.
None of the specially ordered shipments were sent out on Friday, but we know that the shipments sent to Truax were all non-specially ordered (because they contained no building supplies). These could have been sent on any day, we have no idea.

c. None of the shipments sent by Comcorp by Truax Construction last week was specially ordered.
If all of the specially ordered shipments contained building supplies, and none of the shipments to Truax contained building supplies, then it is 100% certain that none of the shipments sent to Truax was specially ordered. Our 100% bar truth has been reached!

d. None of Comcorp's shipments sent on thursday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.
We have no idea what day the shipments to Truax were sent. All specially ordered shipments were sent on Thursday, but we have no limit on when the non-specially ordered shipments were sent.

e. All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were sent out on thursday.
Similar to answer choice a, it is possible that building supplies were also included in non-specially ordered shipments, and these could have been sent on another day.

I hope this helps!

Went for C which looks better than D. However, the statement states that 'The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Thursday, and each of those specially ordered shipments consisted entirely of building supplies.'
Here, each of those explicitly states that only out of those specially ordered shipments which were sent on Thursday consisted of building supplies. It is nowhere mentioned that only 5 specially ordered shipments were there. There could be more than 5 specially ordered shipments and one of them might have been sent to Truax containing not building supplies but something else like vegetables supplies.

IMO none of the options can be 100% true from the given information.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6340 [7]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Comcorp Shipping Clerk: Last week, no shipments of building supplies [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
swappatil123 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
This is an inference question. We are given a series of facts, and then asked to draw an inference. On inference questions, the bar is very high -> the correct answer must 100% without a doubt be true.

Comcorp Shipping Clerk: Last week, no shipments of building supplies were sent out on friday. The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Thursday, and each of those specially ordered shipments consisted entirely of building supplies. Four shipments were sent to Truax Construction last week, none of which consisted of building supplies.

If the shipping clerk's statements are true, which of the following must also be true?

a. All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were specially ordered.
We know that all of the specially ordered shipments contain building supplies, but some others could have contained building supplies as well. Do not reverse the argument!

b. None of Comcorp's shipments sent on friday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.
None of the specially ordered shipments were sent out on Friday, but we know that the shipments sent to Truax were all non-specially ordered (because they contained no building supplies). These could have been sent on any day, we have no idea.

c. None of the shipments sent by Comcorp by Truax Construction last week was specially ordered.
If all of the specially ordered shipments contained building supplies, and none of the shipments to Truax contained building supplies, then it is 100% certain that none of the shipments sent to Truax was specially ordered. Our 100% bar truth has been reached!

d. None of Comcorp's shipments sent on thursday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.
We have no idea what day the shipments to Truax were sent. All specially ordered shipments were sent on Thursday, but we have no limit on when the non-specially ordered shipments were sent.

e. All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were sent out on thursday.
Similar to answer choice a, it is possible that building supplies were also included in non-specially ordered shipments, and these could have been sent on another day.

I hope this helps!

Went for C which looks better than D. However, the statement states that 'The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Thursday, and each of those specially ordered shipments consisted entirely of building supplies.'
Here, each of those explicitly states that only out of those specially ordered shipments which were sent on Thursday consisted of building supplies. It is nowhere mentioned that only 5 specially ordered shipments were there. There could be more than 5 specially ordered shipments and one of them might have been sent to Truax containing not building supplies but something else like vegetables supplies.

IMO none of the options can be 100% true from the given information.

Hello swappatil123
But in argument present an emphasis on last week:
"The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week (and further it's additional information about these orders) were sent out on Thursday"

So I think from this part we can infer that on this week were only 5 special ordered shipments.

And in case that you describe I think phrase will be sound like:
"The five specially ordered shipments that were sent out last week on Thursday"
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [4]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:
GMATNinja, Could you help to explain? Why (D) is wrong?

(A) All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were specially ordered.

(B) None of Comcorp's shipments sent on friday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.

(C) None of the shipments sent by Comcorp by Truax Construction last week was specially ordered.

(D) None of Comcorp's shipments sent on Thursday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.

(E) All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were sent out on Thursday.

Truax did not receive any building supplies, and that means that Truax did not receive any of the SPECIALLY ordered shipments sent on Thursday. But, on Thursday, Comcorp may have sent Truax a shipment that was NOT specially ordered.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Dear experts, this question kills me a lot, although I know the correct answer choice MUST BE C, I still prefer to B, here is my reasoning:

there was no shipment sent out on Friday to any place, so I can infer that no shipment was sent to Truax, that's why I choose B

I cross off C because of the word "specially", I think "specially" is implicit. what does specially mean? the building supplies ? but why not other features, it is highly possible that "specially" refers to ,say, high price, or emergency, or unusual big size.

I cannot figure out my reasoning bug, but I am sure I am incorrect.

Please please please,
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
zoezhuyan wrote:
Dear experts, this question kills me a lot, although I know the correct answer choice MUST BE C, I still prefer to B, here is my reasoning:

there was no shipment sent out on Friday to any place, so I can infer that no shipment was sent to Truax, that's why I choose B

I cross off C because of the word "specially", I think "specially" is implicit. what does specially mean? the building supplies ? but why not other features, it is highly possible that "specially" refers to ,say, high price, or emergency, or unusual big size.

I cannot figure out my reasoning bug, but I am sure I am incorrect.

Please please please,

Some help here...note that the point about Friday is that:

no shipments of building supplies were sent out on Friday

This does NOT mean that no shipments overall were sent out on Friday - just that no shipments of building supplies, specifically, were sent out on Friday. Friday could have contained shipments of anything else (like food or flowers). So when you say "there was no shipment sent out on Friday to any place" you're missing that ever-important modifier "of building supplies." They specify a particular type of shipment for Friday, not shipments overall.

And interesting point on "specially" in C. I read "specially ordered" as a particular type of order (I'd say an opposite of specially-ordered here is "routine" - a special order is one you make one time, but a routine order is something that the company ships to you every week or every month until you indicate otherwise). So I look at this question as taking about Concorp's shipments, of which we know there are at least two (but probably more) subtypes: 1) building supplies and 2) specially ordered. We know that all the specially ordered shipments went out Thursday, and that they all contained building supplies. If Truax didn't get building supplies, it then didn't get a specially ordered shipment because all of those were of building supplies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Let us break down the argument and understand it in a better way

Comcorp Shipping Clerk: 
Last week, no shipments of building supplies were sent out on Friday. 
  • The clerk says that no shipments were sent out on Friday of last week
Comcorp Shipping Clerk: 
The five specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Thursday, and each of those specially ordered shipments consisted entirely of building supplies. 
  • There were five specially ordered shipments send last week on Thursday.
  • All the five specially ordered shipments consisted entirely of building supplies.
Comcorp Shipping Clerk: 
Four shipments were sent to Truax Construction last week, none of which consisted of building supplies.
  • Four shipments sent to Truax Construction last week
  • These did not consist of building supplies
  • This implies that the shipments to Truax Construction last week did not consist of specially ordered shipments.

(A) All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were specially ordered. - Incorrect
  • Since, Truax Construction received shipments from Comcorp Shipping, this option choice is wrong.
  • Truax Construction shipments did not consist of specially ordered shipments
  • This means it did not consist of building supplies.

(B) None of Comcorp's shipments sent on friday of last week was sent to Truax Construction. - Incorrect
  • No shipments were sent on Friday.
  • This answer choice is totally wrong.

(C) None of the shipments sent by Comcorp to Truax Construction last week was specially ordered. - Correct
  • This answer choice is correct because Truax Construction ordered shipments which did not consist of building supplies. 
  • All the four shipments did not consist of building supplies
  • This insists that this option is a correct choice

(D) None of Comcorp's shipments sent on Thursday of last week was sent to Truax Construction.
  • The argument tells that four shipments were sent to Truax Construction last week.
  • We do not know the day on which the shipments are sent.
  • Hence, we cannot conclude that none of Comcorp's shipments were sent on Thursday to Truax Construction.

(E) All of Comcorp's shipments of building supplies last week were sent out on Thursday. - Incorrect
  • We have not been told the days on which shipments were sent.
  • Hence, we cannot conclude that all the shipments were sent on Thursday.­
­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts