GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2019, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Commuting from Frankfurt

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Mannheim (A)
GMAT Date: 01-25-2014
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Commuting from Frankfurt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 07:24
Does anyone who is/has done the MBA in Mannheim have experience commuting from Frankfurt? I'm planning on applying for 2016 while living in Frankfurt and my wife is working in the city. I see the train is about 45 minutes. We would probably prefer not to maintain a car while in Germany, but it is possible if that is the best way to get in and out.

Specifically, I'm looking for things like, when do classes get out?
What kind of team work gets assigned and is it likely to run late and limit train options?
Are there a lot of commuters going the opposite direction (ie commuting from Mannheim -> FRA) so that there are plenty of seats available going and coming from Mannheim?
Is there parking near campus and how much is it?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Re: Commuting from Frankfurt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 04:24
SharkWeek wrote:
Does anyone who is/has done the MBA in Mannheim have experience commuting from Frankfurt? I'm planning on applying for 2016 while living in Frankfurt and my wife is working in the city. I see the train is about 45 minutes. We would probably prefer not to maintain a car while in Germany, but it is possible if that is the best way to get in and out.

Specifically, I'm looking for things like, when do classes get out?
What kind of team work gets assigned and is it likely to run late and limit train options?
Are there a lot of commuters going the opposite direction (ie commuting from Mannheim -> FRA) so that there are plenty of seats available going and coming from Mannheim?
Is there parking near campus and how much is it?

It's been a while since you asked the question, but maybe it still helps.

You can commute. It will be busy in both directions (Mannheim itself is a large city, and many more companies, like BASF and SAP, are very close), but you should be able to grab a seat. And a combination of a student ticket and a RMV ticket should be quite inexpensive (although it limits you to local trains, which take a bit over 1hr).

There are plenty of parking garages nearby, but it is expensive - the school is downtown. Even if you are able to get discounted parking through the school, it will cost quite a bit of money.

Have you thought about living half-way between Mannheim and Frankfurt? Depending on where your wife works, that might be a good option.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Mannheim (A)
GMAT Date: 01-25-2014
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 08:58
gentlejack wrote:
It's been a while since you asked the question, but maybe it still helps.

You can commute. It will be busy in both directions (Mannheim itself is a large city, and many more companies, like BASF and SAP, are very close), but you should be able to grab a seat. And a combination of a student ticket and a RMV ticket should be quite inexpensive (although it limits you to local trains, which take a bit over 1hr).

There are plenty of parking garages nearby, but it is expensive - the school is downtown. Even if you are able to get discounted parking through the school, it will cost quite a bit of money.

Have you thought about living half-way between Mannheim and Frankfurt? Depending on where your wife works, that might be a good option.

This was tremendously helpful thank you. I am attending the part-time program this September and plan to live temporarily in Frankfurt for the first 3 months. Hopefully we can find an option that works for us either in Frankfurt or as you have suggested somewhere between. I think I am leaning toward buying the Bahn 50 card and taking the express train to start.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 09:15
The express trains are great, 30mins from Frankfurt to Mannheim :) The area around the Hauptbahnhof is actually quite inexpensive, if you don't mind that part of it is a red-light district... Friends of mine lived there and loved it.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Commuting from Frankfurt   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 09:15

Commuting from Frankfurt

new topic post reply Update application status