Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [46]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [9]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:CBS
 Q51  V45
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Re: Companies considering new cost-cutting manufacturing processes often [#permalink]
Kudos
Well when it comes to costs being uncertain everyone is affected but if your competitors use an advantage that would take market share (which you assumed to be constant) away from companies like yours it could seriously affect your business.

At least that's my take on it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Companies considering new cost-cutting manufacturing processes often [#permalink]
Kudos
I wrote a huge explaination but then my system crashed..jst before i was going to post it!!! :(

mundasingh123 wrote:
Companies considering new cost-cutting manufacturing processes often compare the projected results of making the investment against the alternative of not making the investment with costs, selling prices, and share of market remaining constant.
Which of the following, assuming that each is a realistic possibility, constitutes the most serious disadvantage for companies of using the method above for evaluating the financial benefit of new manufacturing processes?
(A) The costs of materials required by the new process might not be known with certainty.
(B) In several years interest rates might go down, reducing the interest costs of borrowing money to pay for the investment.
(C) Some cost-cutting processes might require such expensive investments that there would be no net gain for many years, until the investment was paid for by savings in the manufacturing process.
(D) Competitors that do invest in a new process might reduce their selling prices and thus take market share away from companies that do not.
(E) The period of year chosen for averaging out the cost of the investment might be somewhat longer or shorter, thus affecting the result.
explanations required
Source MisterEko

My viewpoint: ( let me know if i am wrong somewhere)

argument: The companies which consider new process take into account the comparison between the initial investment and other factors without making the investment.
question : to find something which would prove that even following this process would be a loss.

Hence, we are not suppose to compare the initial investment vs alternative of not making the investment with costs, selling prices,etc but compare the companies that follow this process vs companies that do not..

(A) The costs of materials required by the new process might not be known with certainty. - It looks like a good option. But then, this proves that follwoing this process might be wrong or right. If the cost of materials are low, then the investment would be a wrong decison and if the cost prices are more, then the investment might be good. No where we would know what happens to the other companies. Hence, although is looks good, its the incorrect option.

(B) In several years interest rates might go down, reducing the interest costs of borrowing money to pay for the investment. - Again the same thing. we are comapring the process, not the companies. Hence, incorrect

(C) Some cost-cutting processes might require such expensive investments that there would be no net gain for many years, until the investment was paid for by savings in the manufacturing process. - not even considered as an option

(D) Competitors that do invest in a new process might reduce their selling prices and thus take market share away from companies that do not. - now look at this option. This actually confirms that following this process would be a risk to companies becuase it requires some investment. The companies which do not even follow this process are free of such process investment and hence, they can reduce the costs of their products and gain monoply in the market. Hence, it would be disadvantageous for the company.

(E) The period of year chosen for averaging out the cost of the investment might be somewhat longer or shorter, thus affecting the result. - again, not relevant
I hope my explaination helped..
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jitgoel wrote:
Companies considering new cost-cutting manufacturing processes often compare the projected results of making the investment against the alternative of not making the investment with costs, selling prices, and share of market remaining constant.
Which of the following, assuming that each is a realistic possibility, constitutes the most serious disadvantage for companies of using the method above for evaluating the financial benefit of new manufacturing processes?
(A) The costs of materials required by the new process might not be known with certainty.
(B) In several years interest rates might go down, reducing the interest costs of borrowing money to pay for the investment.
(C) Some cost-cutting processes might require such expensive investments that there would be no net gain for many years, until the investment was paid for by savings in the manufacturing process.
(D) Competitors that do invest in a new process might reduce their selling prices and thus take market share away from companies that do not.
(E) The period of year chosen for averaging out the cost of the investment might be somewhat longer or shorter, thus affecting the result.

Responding to a pm:

The wording of the question is atrocious. The intent is not clear. The question needs to clearly specify that in their analysis, the companies assume that the market share will remain constant. Otherwise we are left wondering whether they assume that their market share will remain constant or they analyze 'whether their market share will remain constant or change'.
The intent of the question is probably that the companies assume that the market share will not change. Hence, if in reality, the market share does change, all their calculations will go for a toss. This is a big disadvantage.
Answer (D)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jitgoel wrote:

The logic behind the company's evaluation plan has the flaw that the company's decision can be considered in isolation from the decisions of other companies. This need not be the case as the market share of a company doesn't solely depend on its strategy. D attacks exactly that logic and says the company will lose its market share even due to a competitor adopting an opposite strategy. That is even if the company comes to a decision that maintaining the same cost and the selling price is better financially based on the comparison of its costs and selling price and the market share in the two scenarios, a competitor who does invest in the processes for whatever reason, might upset that plan.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
It has already been mentioned in the argument that "selling prices remaining constant". Hence in "D" "reducing selling prices" is going against the fact. In CRs we cannot go against the given facts. We can only question the reasoning behind the conclusion. So "D" is not a feasible option. While in "B" if the interest rates go down then it makes sense to invest but if the interest rates do not decline then it’s not worth investing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [3]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Kudos
For me D made perfect sense in the first read itself. Why all this confusion? What am i missing?? Below is my reason to choose D:

Premise: Companies project and compare results (thereby decide upon investing), keeping 3 factors constant- costs, selling prices, and share of market.
Understanding the premise: At the time when companies investigate and make the decision to invest (or not to invest), they assume that costs, selling prices, and market share will remain the same at the time of investment (i.e. in future)
(this is what i understand, please correct me if you feel i'm dreaming)

Question stem: Which of the following proves that the above method is flawed?
Understanding the question stem: Below you are going to see some real-time situations that may occur in future (when the time for actual investment comes). One of which will prove that the way companies predict (or decide) upon investing is not sound.

Pre thinking: Off course, making assumptions based on future is always vulnerable. How can companies just pre-assume that 3 big factors will not chnage! Any option that provides even a hint that any of the 3 factors assumed to not change is going to vary, the plan will fall apart.
.. and thats exactly what D does.

Why is D correct:

Say, company X keeps its market shares const. while they plan- to invest or not to invest. Meanwhile, company Y (already doen with their 'planning') invests in new process, reduces the selling price of its own products and take away the market share from company X. What happens with X? Their plan was based on const. market share and it will fail miserably as the base itself is shattered.

btw AryamaDuttaSaikia, according to me, 'Selling price remains const.' is not a premise but part of the very plan that needs to be weakened in the question. We can (and must) attack this. And anywys, option D talks about selling price of Competitors, they can always alter that even if our company X doesn't. Please correct me!

Why are others wrong:

This doesnt make sense because to keep something const. you should first know its current value.

Out of scope! The question is not whether the companies should invest now or invest later but whether their plan is sound or not. In fact, the outcome of their plan will be either to invest or not to invest, there is no point of 'when to invest' here. If i want to do something now, i'll either do it or not do it. Dont tell me to wait for 'several years', thats irrelevant. And btw, who told they are borrowing money for this investment?? (last thing we should do is to make assumptions in answer choices!)

Irrelevant! We are only concerned with the 'method of evaluating'. What happens after the investment- profit or loss is none of our business.

Irrelevant! Firstly, as discussed in C, we dont care about the result. And period of year wouldnt matter as the planning would be done based on the the current situation.

This was my thought process. I was surprised to see so much of confusion about the answer choices. I may be missing somehting basic. Please correct me if im wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM