Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [12]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: Companies that are employee-owned are commonly thought to be more prof [#permalink]
i chose B over D because we need to strengthen the conclusion
Conclusion : employee-owned companies are more profitable than are non-employee-owned companies
Option B - Though not very convincing because it does not state's that before Pearson, that company was an employee owned, but still it leaves a scope for the reader to think so
Option D - This one states the business of all airlines is down. This in no way strengthens the above conclusion

OA will be helpful
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Companies that are employee-owned are commonly thought to be more prof [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Companies that are employee-owned are commonly thought to be more profitable than are publicly-owned companies or companies with a single owner. If employees have a financial stake in the company, it is in their interest to work harder. If profit goes primarily to stockholders or a small group of owners, employees have less incentive to work hard. Yet, in a comparison of airline companies, Wingspan Airlines, which is entirely employee-owned, has recorded losses for the previous three quarters, whereas Longflite Airlines, which is owned by billionaire Martin Pearson, has recorded record profits for the previous three quarters.

Which of the following, if true, best supports the conclusion that employee-owned companies are more profitable than are non-employee-owned companies?

A. Wingspan Airlines has recently initiated routes to New Zealand, Australia, and Tahiti. Irrelevant as this does not help support.

B. Longflite Airlines has been owned by Martin Pearson for only six months. Even though it has been only since last 6 months by Martin Pearson the company has been showing profits from last 3 quarters and we do not know by whom was it owned before that so lets not cross this.

C. A cosmetics company that is entirely employee-owned has, in the last year, increased its market share by 18 percent. Out of scope

D. Profits recorded by Longflite Airlines include profits earned by a subsidiary that manufactures airplane parts, and because of a nationwide drop in airplane travel, all airline companies have chosen to repair their older planes rather than spend dwindling revenues on new planes. This option gives us another reason for profits and talks about subsidiary. Supports the conclusion.

E. The employees of Wingspan Airlines voluntarily took pay cuts to give the company a chance to recover, and the employees of Longflite recently went on strike to protest poor working conditions. Does not support the conclusion

The question is asking us to support the conclusion that employee-owned companies are more profitable than are non-employee-owned companies. The stimulus has quoted an example in contrast stating that A X company which is employee owned company has reported losses whereas a Y company which is owner owned has shown profits. If we show that another factor is responsible for the profit in Y company would help us to support the conclusion. So now between B and D D states that all airline companies are not performing well be it owner based or employee owned; however company Y is making profit because of a subsidiary division. So D is better option.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts