It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Companies that must determine well in advance of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 199
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2013, 06:05
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

56% (02:23) correct 44% (01:17) wrong based on 155

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

71% (01:32) correct 29% (00:27) wrong based on 143

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

74% (01:43) correct 26% (00:39) wrong based on 137

HideShow timer Statistics

Companies that must determine well in advance of the selling season how many units of a new product to manufacture often underproduce products that sell well and have overstocks of others. The increased incidence in recent years of mismatches between production and demand seems ironic, since point-of-sale scanners have improved data on consumers’ buying patterns and since flexible manufacturing has enabled companies to 24 produce, cost-effectively, small quantities of goods. This type of manufacturing has greatly increased the number of new products introduced annually in the United States. However, frequent introductions of new products have two problematic side effects. For one, they reduce the average lifetime of products; more of them are neither at the beginning of their life (when prediction is difficult) or at the end of their life (when keeping inventory is expensive because the products will soon become obsolete). For another, as new products proliferate, demand is divided among a growing number of stock-keeping units (SKU’s). Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult. For example, a company may be able to estimate accurately the aggregate number of shoes it will sell, but it may be uncertain about which specific types of shoes will sell more than other types.
Q35:Which of the following most accurately describes the function of the last sentence in the passage (Last 2 lines)?
A.To cite a situation in which the aggregate demand is more important than the distribution of demand among SKU’s
B.To refute an assertion about the side effects of flexible manufacturing
C.To illustrate an assertion about companies’ ability to forecast demand
D.To provide an example of ways in which companies address the difficulties of forecasting demand
E.To note an exception to the author’s assertion about distributing demand among SKU’s

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C


The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?
A. It has increased the average lifetime of products.
B. It has resulted from retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and
avoid both understocks and overstocks.
C. It has decreased the use of flexible manufacturing by companies.
D. It has not increased the expense of keeping inventory of certain products.
E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?
A. Reduced average lifetime of products
B. Increased ability to forecast aggregate demand
C. More cost-effective ways of keeping inventory for products
D. Cost-effective production of small quantities of goods
E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA

Last edited by roopika2990 on 27 Jan 2013, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 6
WE: Consulting (Commercial Banking)
Re: Companies that must detemine well in advance of the selling [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2013, 06:47
IMO 1C / 2E / 3D
Hope It's right.
_________________

"We must do that which we think we cannot."

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1412
Re: Companies that must detemine well in advance of the selling [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2013, 22:03
2 must be D.
'predicet with some certainty for some product " means D.
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 697
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 03:19
C E D. It was difficult to understand the first sentence of the passage.
_________________

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 912
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 05:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
Dear Moderators/Experts,

Can you please shed some light on Q1 options C,D and E. I selected C, but I was unsure about it.

Please if you can explain why not choice D and E -

D. To provide an example of ways in which companies address the difficulties of forecasting demand
E. To note an exception to the author’s assertion about distributing demand among SKU’s

Thanks
3 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1271
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 08:54
3
This post received
KUDOS
anewbeginning wrote:
Dear Moderators/Experts,

Can you please shed some light on Q1 options C,D and E. I selected C, but I was unsure about it.

Please if you can explain why not choice D and E -

D. To provide an example of ways in which companies address the difficulties of forecasting demand
E. To note an exception to the author’s assertion about distributing demand among SKU’s

Thanks


Hello anewbeginning

Here is the text from passage:
Sentence before (we need it because text from question begins from text "for example" so these sentences are linked):
"Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult. "
and sentence from question:
"For example, a company may be able to estimate accurately the aggregate number of shoes it will sell, but it may be uncertain about which specific types of shoes will sell more than other types."

answer D: "To provide an example of ways in which companies address the difficulties of forecasting demand"
According to the passage companies just have these difficulties and we don't know exactly do they do something about it or no. (logically they do, but passage doesn't mention it)

answer E: "To note an exception to the author’s assertion about distributing demand among SKU’s"
This is counteract to what we see in passage:

Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult. For example, a company may be able to estimate accurately the aggregate number of shoes it will sell, but it may be uncertain about which specific types of shoes will sell more than other types.

So first sentence says that companies can make total estimate, but can't make estimate of certain type
and further example says that companie can estimate total quantity of shoes but can't estimate sells of specific model of shoes.

We don't have any exception in this example and it completely support assertion from first sentence.

answer C: "To illustrate an assertion about companies’ ability to forecast demand"
First sentence assert that companies can make total estimate, but can't make estimate of certain type and second sentence make specific example of this assertion.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 912
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 13:24
Harley1980 wrote:
anewbeginning wrote:
Dear Moderators/Experts,

Can you please shed some light on Q1 options C,D and E. I selected C, but I was unsure about it.

Please if you can explain why not choice D and E -

D. To provide an example of ways in which companies address the difficulties of forecasting demand
E. To note an exception to the author’s assertion about distributing demand among SKU’s

Thanks


Hello anewbeginning

Here is the text from passage:
Sentence before (we need it because text from question begins from text "for example" so these sentences are linked):
"Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult. "
and sentence from question:
"For example, a company may be able to estimate accurately the aggregate number of shoes it will sell, but it may be uncertain about which specific types of shoes will sell more than other types."

answer D: "To provide an example of ways in which companies address the difficulties of forecasting demand"
According to the passage companies just have these difficulties and we don't know exactly do they do something about it or no. (logically they do, but passage doesn't mention it)

answer E: "To note an exception to the author’s assertion about distributing demand among SKU’s"
This is counteract to what we see in passage:

Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult. For example, a company may be able to estimate accurately the aggregate number of shoes it will sell, but it may be uncertain about which specific types of shoes will sell more than other types.

So first sentence says that companies can make total estimate, but can't make estimate of certain type
and further example says that companie can estimate total quantity of shoes but can't estimate sells of specific model of shoes.

We don't have any exception in this example and it completely support assertion from first sentence.

answer C: "To illustrate an assertion about companies’ ability to forecast demand"
First sentence assert that companies can make total estimate, but can't make estimate of certain type and second sentence make specific example of this assertion.


Thank You Harley1980 :-D

Your explanation is crisp and to the point.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10166
Premium Member
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 08:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 146
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 22:53
HI GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo,

Can somebody explain these two que

The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?
A. It has increased the average lifetime of products.
B. It has resulted from retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid both understocks and overstocks.
C. It has decreased the use of flexible manufacturing by companies.
D. It has not increased the expense of keeping inventory of certain products.
E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.

I've marked B

According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?
A. Reduced average lifetime of products
B. Increased ability to forecast aggregate demand
C. More cost-effective ways of keeping inventory for products
D. Cost-effective production of small quantities of goods
E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’

Why not A
_________________

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च
Nandish

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 83
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 05:02
NandishSS wrote:
HI GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo,

Can somebody explain these two que

The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?
A. It has increased the average lifetime of products.
B. It has resulted from retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid both understocks and overstocks.
C. It has decreased the use of flexible manufacturing by companies.
D. It has not increased the expense of keeping inventory of certain products.
E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.

I've marked B

According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?
A. Reduced average lifetime of products
B. Increased ability to forecast aggregate demand
C. More cost-effective ways of keeping inventory for products
D. Cost-effective production of small quantities of goods
E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’

Why not A


Hi,

I saw you asked this question about 20 days ago and there has been no response so far, so I just wanna share some thoughts. Hope this helps.

Q3: The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?

--> Look for key words "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" at the end of the passage, and read related sentences (especially the last 3 sentences). Now we understand that "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" is the second side effect of "frequent introductions of new products"

A. It has increased the average lifetime of products.
--> This option brings information in another part (the first side effect) then put it in a relation with the second side effect. Wrong! There is no such a relationship between these two effects. Also, the option also distorts the first side effect, because, as mentioned in the passage, the average lifetime of products "decreased", rather than "increased".

B. It has resulted from retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid both understocks and overstocks.
--> If there is a causal relationship here, it is "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" that led to "retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid.....", rather than came from (resulted from) retailer's attempts. Therefore, (B) is wrong.

C. It has decreased the use of flexible manufacturing by companies.
--> It is true that "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" is a negative impact of "flexible manufacturing". However, it is nowhere is the passage we can conclude that this negative effect has decreased the use of this type of manufacturing. Another wrong choice.

D. It has not increased the expense of keeping inventory of certain products.
--> Similar to (A), choice (D) just twisted the information by bringing information about the first side effect (expense of keeping inventory of certain products) to put in a relationship with the second side effect. Wrong!

E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.
--> Yes, this is exactly what is mentioned at the end of the passage - "Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult."

Q4: According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?

Well if you read the passage carefully enough in initial reading, you may quickly spot rightly the sentence mentioning the cause of of "growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year". It is quite at the middle of the passage ".....and since flexible manufacturing has enabled companies to 24 produce, cost-effectively, small quantities of goods. This type of manufacturing has greatly increased the number of new products introduced annually in the United States.". There you are, the correct answer is pretty clear now. But we still need to eliminate incorrect answer choices.

A. Reduced average lifetime of products
--> Wrong! This a problematic effect, rather than the cause, of frequent introduction of new products.

B. Increased ability to forecast aggregate demand
--> Wrong. It is mentioned in the passage that "manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty", but this inherent ability has nothing to do with frequency of new products' introduction.

C. More cost-effective ways of keeping inventory for products
--> Wrong. Similar to choice (A), "keeping inventory for products" is just mentioned as an impact, not the cause, of frequent introduction of new products.

D. Cost-effective production of small quantities of goods
--> Exactly!

E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’.
--> Wrong. First of all, "the ability to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’" is an inherent difficulty, and is totally not related to frequent introduction of new products.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2017
Posts: 157
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 02:10
Lucy Phuong wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
HI GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo,

Can somebody explain these two que

The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?
A. It has increased the average lifetime of products.
B. It has resulted from retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid both understocks and overstocks.
C. It has decreased the use of flexible manufacturing by companies.
D. It has not increased the expense of keeping inventory of certain products.
E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.

I've marked B

According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?
A. Reduced average lifetime of products
B. Increased ability to forecast aggregate demand
C. More cost-effective ways of keeping inventory for products
D. Cost-effective production of small quantities of goods
E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’

Why not A


Hi,

I saw you asked this question about 20 days ago and there has been no response so far, so I just wanna share some thoughts. Hope this helps.

Q3: The passage suggests which of the following about divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s?

--> Look for key words "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" at the end of the passage, and read related sentences (especially the last 3 sentences). Now we understand that "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" is the second side effect of "frequent introductions of new products"

A. It has increased the average lifetime of products.
--> This option brings information in another part (the first side effect) then put it in a relation with the second side effect. Wrong! There is no such a relationship between these two effects. Also, the option also distorts the first side effect, because, as mentioned in the passage, the average lifetime of products "decreased", rather than "increased".

B. It has resulted from retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid both understocks and overstocks.
--> If there is a causal relationship here, it is "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" that led to "retailer’s attempts to predict demand more accurately and avoid.....", rather than came from (resulted from) retailer's attempts. Therefore, (B) is wrong.

C. It has decreased the use of flexible manufacturing by companies.
--> It is true that "divided demand among a growing number of SKU’s" is a negative impact of "flexible manufacturing". However, it is nowhere is the passage we can conclude that this negative effect has decreased the use of this type of manufacturing. Another wrong choice.

D. It has not increased the expense of keeping inventory of certain products.
--> Similar to (A), choice (D) just twisted the information by bringing information about the first side effect (expense of keeping inventory of certain products) to put in a relationship with the second side effect. Wrong!

E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.
--> Yes, this is exactly what is mentioned at the end of the passage - "Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult."

Q4: According to the passage, which of the following has led to growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year?

Well if you read the passage carefully enough in initial reading, you may quickly spot rightly the sentence mentioning the cause of of "growth in the number of new products introduced in the United States each year". It is quite at the middle of the passage ".....and since flexible manufacturing has enabled companies to 24 produce, cost-effectively, small quantities of goods. This type of manufacturing has greatly increased the number of new products introduced annually in the United States.". There you are, the correct answer is pretty clear now. But we still need to eliminate incorrect answer choices.

A. Reduced average lifetime of products
--> Wrong! This a problematic effect, rather than the cause, of frequent introduction of new products.

B. Increased ability to forecast aggregate demand
--> Wrong. It is mentioned in the passage that "manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty", but this inherent ability has nothing to do with frequency of new products' introduction.

C. More cost-effective ways of keeping inventory for products
--> Wrong. Similar to choice (A), "keeping inventory for products" is just mentioned as an impact, not the cause, of frequent introduction of new products.

D. Cost-effective production of small quantities of goods
--> Exactly!

E. Increased ability to divide demand among a number of SKU’s and to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’.
--> Wrong. First of all, "the ability to forecast how that demand will be distributed among those SKU’" is an inherent difficulty, and is totally not related to frequent introduction of new products.



Im sorry but I don't get it

E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.
--> Yes, this is exactly what is mentioned at the end of the passage - "Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult."

It is mentioned that they can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, but not that they actually do ???

Am I missing something ?
_________________

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 83
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 02:35
daviddaviddavid wrote:

Im sorry but I don't get it

E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.
--> Yes, this is exactly what is mentioned at the end of the passage - "Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult."

It is mentioned that they can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, but not that they actually do ???

Am I missing something ?


Hi,

Here we have 2 tasks:
(1) predicting aggregate demand
(2) predicting divided demand

Do you see any relation between the ability to predict aggregate demand(1) and the ability to predict divided demand(2) ? NO! And the situation mentioned in the passage is that
- Company can do (1)
- Company cannot do (2)

=> Even though companies cannot do (2), they can do (1). In other words, the inability to do (2) cannot prevent the companies to do (1). That's what option (E) states.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2017
Posts: 157
Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 02:56
Lucy Phuong wrote:
daviddaviddavid wrote:

Im sorry but I don't get it

E. It has not prevented companies from predicting aggregate demand with some certainty.
--> Yes, this is exactly what is mentioned at the end of the passage - "Even though manufacturers and retailers can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, forecasting accurately how that demand will be distributed among the many SKU’s they sell is difficult."

It is mentioned that they can forecast aggregate demand with some certainty, but not that they actually do ???

Am I missing something ?


Hi,

Here we have 2 tasks:
(1) predicting aggregate demand
(2) predicting divided demand

Do you see any relation between the ability to predict aggregate demand(1) and the ability to predict divided demand(2) ? NO! And the situation mentioned in the passage is that
- Company can do (1)
- Company cannot do (2)

=> Even though companies cannot do (2), they can do (1). In other words, the inability to do (2) cannot prevent the companies to do (1). That's what option (E) states.

Does that make sense?


yes thx

I Think I got it know

So even though they cannot predict divided demand they still can predict aggregate demand with some certainty
_________________

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Re: Companies that must determine well in advance of the   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2017, 02:56
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Prep RC: Companies that must determine well in advance souvik101990 3 28 May 2016, 08:57
11 Despite the tremendous technological advances goodyear2013 9 31 May 2016, 12:58
15 To remain financially sound, health insurance companies must carcass 6 14 Nov 2016, 08:53
31 Scientific advances in the latter half of the twentieth MisterEko 35 17 Jun 2017, 17:36
To remain financially sound, health insurance companies must skim 7 20 Oct 2016, 03:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Companies that must determine well in advance of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.