Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2544 [12]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618819 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Companies that offer “employer sponsored insurance” (ESI) pay a portio [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Pre-thinking:

Conclusion: ESI decreases worker absenteeism.

Premise(s) on which it is based: Companies that offered ESI had worker absentee rates 22% lower, on average, than those at companies that did not offer ESI.

Now, clearly, correlation does not imply causation. Whenever there is a causality (X --> Y) related "weaken the argument" question, we are looking for one of the following three things:

i) Alternate cause for Y
ii) Reverse causality (ie; it's not that X --> Y but Y --> X)
ii) Third factor Z causing both X and Y

Here, X = company providing ESI and Y = lower absenteeism. Let us examine the options:

A) Results similar to those cited for the manufacturing sector have been found in other sectors of the economy where ESI is offered. This provides none of the above 3 alternatives. What happens in other sectors does not explain why it happens in this particular sector. Eliminate.

B) At companies that offer ESI, employees have access to preventative health care such as regular check-ups, routine laboratory tests, and nutrition counseling. These can actually be the causes for lower absenteeism. But since employees having access to check-ups, lab tests and counselling is as a result of the ESI (that is evident from the way sentence is structured that these are made available to the employees as a part of the ESI), this acts a s a strengthener. Eliminate.

C) Because initiating an ESI plan requires a lot of paperwork for the company, employees, and the insurance provider, doing so is complex and time-consuming. This does not have any connection to lower absenteeism. Eliminate.

D) Many firms in the manufacturing sector have improved workplace safety and decreased the occurrence of on-the-job injuries in the last five years, and most of these companies
introduced ESI at the same time. This provides an alternative explanation for lower absenteeism viz; increased workplace safety leading to lower injuries. This satisfies (i) above. Correct answer.

E) In manufacturing firms where ESI is offered, the average productivity is 2% higher than it is in those firms where workers are not covered by an ESI plan. We are not concerned here with productivity, only with absenteeism. Irrelevant. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Companies that offer employer sponsored insurance (ESI) pay a portio [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Companies that offer employer sponsored insurance (ESI) pay a portio [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts