Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [23]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [5]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [6]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Company policy: An employee of our company must be impartial, particul [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
tarunanandani wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
option B-
including one's mother ! now does that include the mother of the person who complained? ( if so, then this is a violation)
if not then writing " one's mother" is redundant and in a way discriminatory .
what do you mean by one's mother?? so the rest don't have mothers?? or are others male?

(B) Receiving over 100 complaints about the service one’s office provides and sending a complimentary product to all those who complain, including one’s mother

I think what option B says is that the people who have complained includes the mother of the office owner and that the owner has sent the complimentary product to all including his own mother thereby has been impartial.

Hope this helps!

How can you under that the pronoun "one" refers to the same person...as I read it the subgroup involves a person's mother too...

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V22
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V28 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Company policy: An employee of our company must be impartial, particul [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Company policy: An employee of our company must be impartial, particularly when dealing with family matters. This obligation extends to all aspects of the job, including hiring and firing practices and the quality of service the employee provides customers.

Which one of the following employee behaviors most clearly violates the company policy cited above?

Any option that suggests that employee is not rewarding the other even when s/he is qualified enough, will be our answer.

(A) Refusing to hire any of one’s five siblings, even though they are each more qualified than any other applicant
5 siblings were more qualified than any other applicant. Still, they were not hired. This is a clear indication of a violation of impartial policy.

(B) Receiving over 100 complaints about the service one’s office provides and sending a complimentary product to all those who complain, including one’s mother

If the employee had not sent a complimentary product just because the customer was mother of a colleague, then it would have been partial.

(C) Never firing a family member, even though three of one’s siblings work under one’s supervision and authority
They all might have been working great. Then there is no need to fire. So, no violation.

(D) Repeatedly refusing to advance an employee, claiming that he has sometimes skipped work and that his work has been sloppy, even though no such instances have occurred for over two years
There could be cases that before 2 years, the employee was performing very poorly and the 2 years was kind of grace period. Yeah, it is somewhat less clear, but we already have a solid option A, so we eliminate this.

(E) Promoting a family member over another employee in the company
That employee could have done a good job and hence deserved the promotion.

Answer A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Bookmarks
AdityaHongunti wrote:
tarunanandani wrote:
AdityaHongunti wrote:
option B-
including one's mother ! now does that include the mother of the person who complained? ( if so, then this is a violation)
what do you mean by one's mother?? so the rest don't have mothers?? or are others male?

I think what option B says is that the people who have complained includes the mother of the office owner and that the owner has sent the complimentary product to all including his own mother thereby has been impartial.

Hope this helps!

How can you under that the pronoun "one" refers to the same person...as I read it the subgroup involves a person's mother too...

Posted from my mobile device

As per my understanding there is no other singular proper noun in the sentence apart from office owner that singular pronoun 'one' can refer back, so I think the pronoun one refers back to the owner and not to plural noun 'all those who complain...'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
I marked E :? Can anyone explain why A is right?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
option B-
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
AdityaHongunti wrote:
option B-

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Company policy: An employee of our company must be impartial, particularly when dealing with family matters. This obligation extends to all aspects of the job, including hiring and firing practices and the quality of service the employee provides customers.

Which one of the following employee behaviors most clearly violates the company policy cited above?

(A) Refusing to hire any of one’s five siblings, even though they are each more qualified than any other applicant

(C) Never firing a family member, even though three of one’s siblings work under one’s supervision and authority

(D) Repeatedly refusing to advance an employee, claiming that he has sometimes skipped work and that his work has been sloppy, even though no such instances have occurred for over two years

great question to say the least

E-this option is incomplete because we dont know whether the family member which has been mentioned here is better or worse than the other employee.
D-key word in this option is over 2 years it might be the case that before that there will be issues with the employee
C-not even relevant
B-clearly he is being impartial, he/she would have been unfair towards his/her if he/she would have avoided sending gifts to his/her mother.
A-the only option left.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I chose 'A' correctly, however, I eliminated 'D' because the stem states "hiring, firing and customer service" not promoting. Is this the correct line of reasoning or are there other reasons to eliminate 'D'?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
A. Correct, as the argument says the employee must be impartial, especially when dealing with family doesn't imply that employee deliberately has to reject his family members while hiring. Not hiring a family member who deserves the job is partial. (Partial)
B. Incorrect, If the employee would have sent the gift only to his mother cuz of the inconvenience, then we can consider this partial. (Impartial)
C. Incorrect, there must be a reason to fire someone; just becuz the person is a family member doesn't give the employee the athourity to fire that person for no reason (Impartial)
D. Incorrect, Record of last two years doesn't tell the whole story of the employee, so it doesn't tell whether the employee was partial.
E. Incorrect, This again doesn't tell whether this was done for a reason. Can't say again whether the employee is partial.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Company policy: An employee of our company must be impartial, particul [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:

Day 16 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

to put the argument in brief:
company employee must be impartial toward jobs in firing or promoting or customer services…
--> find which one partial, or say, violate the given policy ...
(A) refuse to hire someone more qualified for the job, since its his own siblings, just this sounds having bias toward one group of people… this choice perfectly involves "comparing the competency" of two groups of people, and it could also be a partial example in that the more competent group is his own relatives but you don't hire them since they have blood relationship with you
(B) if he is willing to listen to complaints from all people except his mother, then this will be partial, and also vice versa, thus this must be an impartial one
(C)trap choice, ”never firing a family member” sounds a bit of nepotism as well as partial, however compare (C) to (A), we don’t know, in reality, whether the family member is worth firing or not or how its competency is….
(D)just that its no family matter or firing or hiring involved in this statement, or break down in another way--as we know from statement in (D) that "over these two years" there indeed has bias occur, however beside these two years maybe bias occur-then (D) in this situation would be correct- or maybe no bias no violation to the policy occur, so its just too ambiguous to determine whether (D) violate the given policy or not
(E)this choice same as (C), though at first sight seems partial in that it “promote a family member…”, however if compare to (A) we don’t know whether the family member is worth promotion or not
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Just like how we assume in D that maybe the min requirement to advance is 2 years and eliminated it, why can't we assume in A that the positions were closed or cancelled and the company no more requires any new hiring?
I eliminated A for this reason.

Can someone please explain if there's anything wrong in my assumption?

Thanks in advance!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts