Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [26]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [11]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31923 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [2]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
Re: Company X has 6 regional offices. Each regional office must recommend [#permalink]
Kudos
chetan2u Abhishek009, please tell me what m i missing here
Each office has two candidates M and F , so this way we got 6 M and 6 F
now question says only 1 M or F will be represent his/her office.
so my understanding says if M is selected than his counterpart F will not, and vice versa.
So 6M and 6F
so selection will be 6c3*3c3
where 6c3 represents 3 males out of 6 and 3c3 represents remaining 3 females , which are not male counterpart.
similarly we have case for female 6c3 * 3c3
so ultimatly we 2 6c3= 40.
Please correct me where I am wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Company X has 6 regional offices. Each regional office must recommend [#permalink]
Kudos
the committee must consist of 6 members. Further, because the committee must have an equal number of male and female employees, it must include 3 men and 3 women. First, let's form the female group of the committee. There are 3 women to be selected from 6 female candidates (one per region). One possible team selection can be represented as follows, where A, B, C, D, E, & F represent the 6 female candidates:
A B C D E F
Yes Yes Yes No No No
In the representation above, women A, B, and C are on the committee, while women D, E, and F are not. There are many other possible 3 women teams. Using the combination formula, the number of different combinations of three female committee members is 6! / (3! × 3!) = 720/36 = 20. To ensure that each region is represented by exactly one candidate, the group of men must be selected from the remaining three regions that are not represented by female employees. In other words, three of the regions have been “used up” in our selection of the female candidates. Since we have only 3 male candidates remaining (one for each of the three remaining regions), there is only one possible combination of 3 male employees for the committee. Thus, we have 20 possible groups of three females and 1 possible group of three males for a total of 20 × 1 = 20 possible groups of six committee members.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
if each office can recommend 2 members, one male and one female, the potential members of the committee are 12, 6 males and 6 females. Since each office will be represented by 1 person and the committee must have an equal number of males and females, the committee will be formed by exactly 6 people, 3 males and 3 females.
Now we have to select 3 males in a group of 6 males and 3 females in a group of 6 females. Therefore, we use the combination formula: 6!/(3!*3!) -> number of ways of choosing either 3 males out of 6, or 3 females out of 6; and then this result must be squared, to multiply all the possible combinations of males and females.
Finally, the result is: 400
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Kudos
vnigam21 wrote:
Company X has 6 regional offices. Each regional office must recommend two candidates, one male and one female, to serve on the corporate auditing committee. If each of the offices must be represented by exactly one member on the auditing committee and if the committee must consist of an equal number of male and female employees, how many different committees can be formed?

A. 5
B. 10
C. 15
D. 20
E. 40

Total cases: 2^6=64
Not cases: 2+12+30=44
6M=1
6F=1
5M1F=6!/5!=6
5F1M=6!/5!=6
4M2F=6!/4!2!=15
4F2M=6!/4!2!=15
Favorable cases: 64-44=20

Ans (D)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Kudos
There are 6 offices. You can list out the 6 offices as A through F.

And each office must recommend 1 male and 1 female. From each office exactly 1 person will go on the committee.

This means the committee will have 6 people.

Further, we are told that there must be an equal number of males and females on the committee. Therefore, we know that there must be 3 males and 3 females chosen on the 6 person committee.

The 12 recommendations will consist of the following:

Office A - Male A and Fem A

Office B - Male B and Fem B

….

Office F - Male F and Fem F

Since each office will send one person ——-> and the order in which the people are selected does not matter (only the makeup of the group selected is important)

all we care about is which 3 offices will send their male representative and which 3 offices will send their female representatives.

Out of the 6 offices, how many different ways can we have 3 offices send their male representative?

6 c 3 = 20 ways

For each one of these 20 ways, because each office must send exactly 1 rep and there must be 3 males and 3 females, the remaining 3 offices NOT chosen must send their Female rep

20 different ways

D

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
vnigam21 wrote:
This is an easy question. I tried again and I was able to solve. :lol:

As the question says, If each of the offices must be represented by exactly one member on the auditing committee and there are 6 Regional Offices, so each of the regional offices will be represented by 6 members on the auditing committee.

Also, as per question, committee must consist of an equal number of male and female employees that is 3 Male members and 3 Female members. So, the question is now simply reduced to the possible number of arrangements for MMMBBB.

It can be done in 6!/3!3! ways that is equal to 20.

Best and simplest explanation. The question asks "how many such different committees can be formed" which means it is simply an arrangement question. Most are finding ways to arrange which is not what is asked. After 3 males and 3 females are are chosen we have to find the number of different committees we can form out of them i.e. the number of arrangements we can have which is 6! / 3! * 3! = 20. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
hi chetan2u

I have tried to understand the solution provided by you but I cannot.

I am requesting you to explain why 6c3 * 6c3 would not work here.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts