It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Computerization and modern methods of managing voter ...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida

Kudos [?]: 1027 [2], given: 630

Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Computerization and modern methods of managing voter ... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:21) correct 45% (01:32) wrong based on 534 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Computerization and modern methods of managing voter registration have improved the
integrity of election results while at the same time they have placed unprecedented trust in
a few private corporations, having
been ignored by the mainstream press since their nearly
silent rise to power more than a decade ago.

(A) while at the same time they have placed unprecedented trust in a few private corporations, having

(B) while at the same time placing unprecedented trust in a few private corporations that have

(C) while they have placed unprecedented trust in a few private corporations at the same time, and have

(D) but placing unprecedented trust in a few private corporations at the same time that have

(E) but at the same time place unprecedented trust in a few private corporations, having

Source: GMAT Hacks - 061313
OE to follow after some discussion...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [3], given: 2

Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Re: Computerization and modern methods of managing voter ... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 17:21
This post received
KUDOS
B.
Its a 2/3 split between while and but. Since there are 2 things happening, improved integrity and ignored corporations, we should go with while. So eliminate D and E
Having being ignored in A incorrectly modifies the trust in the corporations instead of the corporations themselves. Because the non-underlined portion reads: "since their nearly silent rise to power more than a decade ago." so it has to be corporations. (Trust cannot have a silent raise to power!). A is out.
So is C, because C also says "and have" similar to having. We want to say that the corporations have. Need to refer back to corporations only.
Answer choice B has the correct since it says " that have"

Kudos if I helped :)

Kudos [?]: 100 [3], given: 2

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 61 [2], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 22:09
This post received
KUDOS
avohden wrote:
Computerization and modern methods of managing voter registration have improved the
integrity of election results while at the same time they have placed unprecedented trust in

(A) while at the same time they have placed unprecedented trust in a few private corporations, having

(B) while at the same time placing unprecedented trust in a few private corporations that have

(C) while they have placed unprecedented trust in a few private corporations at the same time, and have

(D) but placing unprecedented trust in a few private corporations at the same time that have

(E) but at the same time place unprecedented trust in a few private corporations, having

The use of but seems that the methods created an intentional effect which is not the case. Hence, while is correct

they introduces a pronoun error. It should be these methods. Also trust in a few private corporations, having been.. is not correct. So A is out

Bingo!. This one corrects the pronoun error and conveys the intented meaning clearly and concisely. Hence B is correct

Here the pronoun error persists. The introduction of and have distorts the meaning, implying that the methods are ignored. So C is out

Pls give kudos :)

Kudos plz if it helped

Kudos [?]: 61 [2], given: 44

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [1], given: 24

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 23:54
This post received
KUDOS
rockstar23 wrote:
avohden wrote:

The use of but seems that the methods created an intentional effect which is not the case. Hence, while is correct

they introduces a pronoun error. It should be these methods. Also trust in a few private corporations, having been.. is not correct. So A is out

Bingo!. This one corrects the pronoun error and conveys the intented meaning clearly and concisely. Hence B is correct

Here the pronoun error persists. The introduction of and have distorts the meaning, implying that the methods are ignored. So C is out

Pls give kudos :)

Hi,

I am not sure if there is any pronoun error in A and C. Since "they can only refer to METHODS". Nouns/noun phrases in the sentence are "integrity of election results", "Computerization and modern methods". The integrity is singular so "they" can not refer to integrity.

I think it is because of the modifiers that we can eliminate A and C.

Thanks!!

Consider Kudos if I am right.. That shall motivate me..

Kudos [?]: 78 [1], given: 24

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 00:07
Quote:
I am not sure if there is any pronoun error in A and C. Since "they can only refer to METHODS". Nouns/noun phrases in the sentence are "integrity of election results", "Computerization and modern methods". The integrity is singular so "they" can not refer to integrity.

Hi,

Firstly, the pronoun error I am talking about is not about pronoun ambiguity, its about the incorrect use of pronoun "they".
Secondly, IMO the noun "methods" here should have a demonstrative pronoun such as these methods.

Plz some one correct if I am wrong :)

Kudos plz if it helped

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 44

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
Official Explanation

Answer: B
The main problem with the sentence as written is the modifier at the end of the sentence. What has been ignored by the mainstream press is "a few private corporations," but starting the modifier with "having" means it should refer all the way to "they"--modern methods of voter registration. The mistake is repeated in (E), so we're left with the middle three choices. While the wording is different, the same mistake occurs in (C). "and have" turns "been ignored..." into the second part of a list, the first part is "placed ... trust." Again, the grammar indicates that the modern methods have been ignored by the press. That leaves (B) and (D). Choice (D) is an incomplete sentence. "placing unprecedented trust..." is a modifier of something that should come after it. However, there is no subject that corresponds with it. That leaves only (B), a complete sentence that correctly indicates that the private corporations are what has been ignored by the press. (B) is correct.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 759 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 17:17
avohden wrote:

Isn't while-at the same time redundant here?

Cheers
J :)

Kudos [?]: 759 [0], given: 355

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1027 [1], given: 630

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2013, 06:07
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Isn't while-at the same time redundant here?

Cheers
J :)

The while is a Coordinating Conjunction. A coordinating conjunction connect words, phrases or clauses that are of equal importance or have the same grammatical structure within a sentence.

"Computerization and modern methods of managing voter registration have improved the integrity of election results ..." is an independent clause and while connects that clause to the dependent clause "at the same time placing unprecedented trust in a few private corporations that have been ignored by the mainstream press since their nearly silent rise to power more than a decade ago."

Kudos [?]: 1027 [1], given: 630

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1937 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2014, 03:25
While is not a coordinating conjunction (FANBOYS), it is a subordinate conjunction.

Further from following sentence structure how one can decide that ing modifier is modifying methods or corporate ?

(Computerization and modern methods) have improved the integrity of election results while at the same time they (Computerization and modern methods) have placed unprecedented trust in a few private corporations,
ing modifier modifies preceding clause's subject and verb having been ignored by the mainstream press since their nearly silent rise to power more than a decade ago.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1937 [0], given: 229

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 87

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2014, 08:45
IMO B for following reasons.

A. pronoun 'they' is wrong in this case
B. seems fine, lets see the other options
C. pronoun 'they' is wrong in this case
D. no verb in the sub-ordinate clause after 'but'
E. verb 'place' is not parallel with verb from main clause 'improved'

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 358

Schools: Wharton Exec '17
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 22:13
Same question as jlgdr...."while - at the same time" is a redundant phrase...
Experts please reply, why B is the answer , I chose E...

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 358

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 22:35
srinjoy28 wrote:
Same question as jlgdr...."while - at the same time" is a redundant phrase...
Experts please reply, why B is the answer , I chose E...

In E, the -ing modifier is modifying the subject of the main clause - 'computerization and modern methods', but it is supposed to modify 'corporations'.

Hence, E cannot be correct from a meaning point of view.

Lesson: Don't always look only for a grammatically correct answer. There may be multiple grammatically correct answers in the options, but there will only be only one grammatically correct option that conveys the right meaning.

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 00:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 12:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 61

Schools: Erasmus '17

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 17:05
avohden wrote:

integrity of election results

while at the same time they have placed unprecedented trust in
a few private corporations,

having been ignored
by the mainstream press since their nearly
silent rise to power more than a decade ago. Lacks Subject
Wrong modification.
In this position it means it either modifies placed or improved, either way its wrong, it should modify subj

A. wrong cause of above reason
B. Right, correctly refers to noun.
C. Lacks subj, question can come out for it to be verbed modifier, well it is not, because it is being connected with "comma and", so 2 ICs
D. Main error wrong contrast.
E. Main error wrong contrast.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 61

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 15:13
after the while shouldn't we have independent clause??

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Re: Computerization and modern methods of managing voter ...   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 15:13

Computerization and modern methods of managing voter ...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap