It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 741 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: cr42 elderly citizen [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2011, 07:18
eybrj2 wrote:
Concerned about the well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government-provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because ______________.

d) The pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high.

e) In Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

Why not d?
I thought that if a number of elderly people were really poor, below the poverty level,
even though the pension is increased, it still might not enough.

Also, what does e mean?
does it mean that children typically supplement the income of old people, but only few can provide enough money ?

Choice D said that those elderly people are below poverty level does not mean that the increased pension does not help them no better off financially than they were before the increase.

Choice E mean that:

Before the increase pension, 1 older have 100 dollars/month (including 20 dollars received from his children)
After the increase pension (20%), he will have 120 dollars/month (including 20 dollars presuming received from his children). Actually, his children realize the government subsidies to his father, so they do not give their father any dollar. Now, the older still has 100 dollars/month.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 741 [0], given: 44

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 4

Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2012, 17:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government-provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because __________.

A. they rely entirely on the government pension for their income
B. Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check
C. they buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation
D. the pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high
E. in Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

I missed this one and am curious to hear people's reasonings on this. I will post my own thoughts once a few people have responded.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 00:03
Selected C; not able to understand how come E is correct....

If you think you are lost, you are.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 00:08
ravstime wrote:
Selected C; not able to understand how come E is correct....

I picked D. I now realize why D is wrong but still don't quite get why E is the correct answer. In order for E to be right, we have to assume that the children of the elderly will reduce the amount of money they give their parents once the pension goes up. That way, they're receiving the same amount each month; hence, their standards of living don't go up.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 02:31
My Answer - E. Took me 2mins 45 s. The complete questions are the toughest for me.

1. elderly citizens got more pension from govt, for the past 2 years
2. Inflation did not increase
3. Still, elderly not better off financially

"in large part because" indicates the next line would be a reason to explain the discrepancy. I thought if I could think of some reason this could happen, but could not think of any. So read the choices

Arbitrageur wrote:
I missed this one and am curious to hear people's reasonings on this. I will post my own thoughts once a few people have responded.

Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government-provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because __________.
A. they rely entirely on the government pension for their income does not explain, yup. now they get more, why cant they be better off?
B. Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check does not explain, they get it late every time - so they do get it regularly, would it be that big a problem?
C. they buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation does not explain, little confusing, but does not seem relevant
D. the pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time highdoes not explain - still should increase the standard of living
E. in Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living if Children already have to support, so more pension would mean children help parents less and more money in children's pockets. THis also says children help only enough to provide for comfortable living - so, there goes the possibility that children will not reduce the amount they give to parents. One thing that still confused me was if all parent already got 90% of what they needed and 20% increase would make them receive >100% of their basic need. In this case, would their living not increase? then I realized, this is a reasoning question not Strengthen/weaken question.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 11:51
this question is still not clear
even after poe
though i reached e i didnt feel like going with it and
blindly went with c

just one more month for exam...

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 13:08
E. in Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

If the children were supplementing income for their elderly parents, this means that they were giving their parents money in addition to the pension receieved. If the pension increased, and the children only supplemented enough for a comfortable living, this means that the children must have decreased their supplement.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number

GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 18:50
understood that now
but i fear i will not be able to answer this question if it appears on exam in a short span of 2 min

just one more month for exam...

BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 11

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2012, 21:09
Arbitrageur wrote:
B. Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check
C. they buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation
D. the pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high

A- if older people rely totally on the pension their standard should of living should have gone up.
B- how does it matter ? Each person receives the pension .
C-Against the argument - argument says inflation was negligible.
D- how does it matter when was the pension increased ? if BPL was all time high they would be better off with the increase right ?
E- this cracks it. Earlier people were getting 100$ pension + 20$ from their children additionally . Now their pension has increased to 120$ and their children have stopped giving them the additional 20$ so how are they better off ?

I hope I'm clear with this.

You want something, go get it . Period !

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18092 [4], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2012, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Arbitrageur wrote:

Since quite a few people got stuck in this question, I would like to give my analysis here.

First of all, complete the passage questions belong to one of your regular question types (strengthen/weaken/inference/paradox etc).
This question is just a 'resolve the paradox' question.
What is the paradox?

The government increased the pension it pays to all elderly by 20 %. Inflation has been 0 and the increase has been received by all eligible Runagians. Still, many of them are no better off financially than they were before.

It's a paradox, right?
If someone was getting $100, he is now getting $120. There is no inflation. Then he must be better off now. But he isn't. He still has the same overall financial position as before.

How will you resolve it?

Doesn't make sense. There has been no inflation. We don't know what happens to the prices in times of no inflation.

Doesn't matter. Everyone is getting more money. Someone who used to get $100 now gets $120.

The pension is probably not enough to ensure a comfortable living. If the elders need $200 to live comfortably, children used to provide the extra $100. Now that elderly get $120, children will probably provide only $80 since they help only by enough to provide them a comfortable living. This does resolve our paradox and is the answer. So the financial situation of the elderly stays the same.

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18092 [4], given: 236

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1484 [1], given: 543

Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Please provide detailed explanations. Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1484 [1], given: 543

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!

Kudos [?]: 2327 [1], given: 82

Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 03:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:

Hi fozzy,

For the logical completion, you have to first find what to look for in an answer choice. The last sentence says that many elderly people will be no better off financially i.e. their financial situation will more or less remain the same. So, you have to find an answer choice which provides you a reason as to why these elderly people will not be financially better off even after getting 20% extra in their pensions. The answer choice that will tell us something about their financial status will likely be the correct answer choice.

Assumption: A possible assumption could be that that the current financial status of elderly is not so good and even after an additional 20% their status will remain the same.

From A we know that they rely entirely on the government pension but we have no information of the financial status to the people receiving the pension. Is the pension sufficient to provide a living? What percentage of the pension are the elderly saving? are the elderly relying on external help?
A answers none of these answers. So, we do not have an idea about the financial condition of the elderly who receive the pension.

It can take up to "three weeks" to cash a pension check but the elderly would still receive their pension. So this choice merely states that most of the elderly receive their pension late. No link between the extra 20% and the financial status.

The stimulus says that the inflation in the given period was negligible so the fact that the elderly buy goods whose prices tend to rise fast in times of inflation becomes irrelevant.

When or under what circumstance the pension increase is irrelevant to the conclusion. This choice does nothing to provide us a reason for the financial status of the elderly over the age of 65.

This choice explains the reason why even after getting the extra 20% the financial state of elderly people will still remain the same. If the elderly are already dependent on their children for a "comfortable living" i.e. a fixed amount comes from their children. This means that their children are paying for the balance of the pension they are currently receiving.

Lets say their pension is $100 but for a comfortable living they require $150 so the difference of $50 is being paid by their children. Now, if the elderly get 20% extra i.e. $20, this will make their pension to $120, but they would still have a deficit of $30, which will again be paid by their children. So, effectively the extra 20% has done no good to their financial status.

Here one can also argue that the elderly are just living on their children's income and are not spending their pension at all. So, the increased 20% of pension will make them better off financially. This will be a far fetched assumption, but, even if we make this assumption, (E) would still be the "most logical" completion of the passage.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Kudos [?]: 2327 [1], given: 82

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 75

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 06:48
Good question.

700+ level question, isn't it?

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 08:23
IMO - E

Since the income is supplemented by children... they reduced their contribution by the increase leaving the elderly no better off then they were before.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9448 [0], given: 1185

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 11:34
Vercules wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Hi fozzy,

For the logical completion, you have to first find what to look for in an answer choice. The last sentence says that many elderly people will be no better off financially i.e. their financial situation will more or less remain the same. So, you have to find an answer choice which provides you a reason as to why these elderly people will not be financially better off even after getting 20% extra in their pensions. The answer choice that will tell us something about their financial status will likely be the correct answer choice.

Assumption: A possible assumption could be that that the current financial status of elderly is not so good and even after an additional 20% their status will remain the same.

From A we know that they rely entirely on the government pension but we have no information of the financial status to the people receiving the pension. Is the pension sufficient to provide a living? What percentage of the pension are the elderly saving? are the elderly relying on external help?
A answers none of these answers. So, we do not have an idea about the financial condition of the elderly who receive the pension.

It can take up to "three weeks" to cash a pension check but the elderly would still receive their pension. So this choice merely states that most of the elderly receive their pension late. No link between the extra 20% and the financial status.

The stimulus says that the inflation in the given period was negligible so the fact that the elderly buy goods whose prices tend to rise fast in times of inflation becomes irrelevant.

When or under what circumstance the pension increase is irrelevant to the conclusion. This choice does nothing to provide us a reason for the financial status of the elderly over the age of 65.

This choice explains the reason why even after getting the extra 20% the financial state of elderly people will still remain the same. If the elderly are already dependent on their children for a "comfortable living" i.e. a fixed amount comes from their children. This means that their children are paying for the balance of the pension they are currently receiving.

Lets say their pension is $100 but for a comfortable living they require $150 so the difference of $50 is being paid by their children. Now, if the elderly get 20% extra i.e. $20, this will make their pension to $120, but they would still have a deficit of $30, which will again be paid by their children. So, effectively the extra 20% has done no good to their financial status.

Here one can also argue that the elderly are just living on their children's income and are not spending their pension at all. So, the increased 20% of pension will make them better off financially. This will be a far fetched assumption, but, even if we make this assumption, (E) would still be the "most logical" conclusion of the passage.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

But when we have in the stimulus SINCE or BECAUSE is always a strengthen question not a conclusion question. We have inference with that or it should be expected that (most rare)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 66

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 13:13
Hi there,

a "best completes the passage" question stem can be strengthen, weaken or inference, depending on what the statement is asking. I would categorize this as a weaken question because the stimulus indicates that the program was duly implemented but didn't reach the stated goals. A wouldn't make any sense (180), B creates a three week lag but after that everything is running smoothly so it doesn't explain the problem, C is irrelevent given no inflation and D again looks like a strengthener to the plan, not a weakener. E gives a logical alternative as to why the plan isn't working: in essence, it's benefiting the children and not the original elderly recipients.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9448 [1], given: 1185

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Hi there,

a "best completes the passage" question stem can be strengthen, weaken or inference, depending on what the statement is asking. I would categorize this as a weaken question because the stimulus indicates that the program was duly implemented but didn't reach the stated goals. A wouldn't make any sense (180), B creates a three week lag but after that everything is running smoothly so it doesn't explain the problem, C is irrelevent given no inflation and D again looks like a strengthener to the plan, not a weakener. E gives a logical alternative as to why the plan isn't working: in essence, it's benefiting the children and not the original elderly recipients.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Aristotle prep CR Guide 3th edition

Quote:
The answer is by looking at the word that leads to the blank. This is the word that comes immediately
before the blank. If the word is since or because (like in the above argument) then you will definitely be
required to strengthen the author’s argument. Also the author’s conclusion will be in the sentence that
leads up to this word.
If the leading word/phrase is that or it should be expected that, then you will be required to make an
inference from the information provided in the stimulus. In these questions remember to avoid
extreme options and go with vaguely worded ones.
If the leading word is assuming that, then obviously you need to point out the assumption in the
argument and the conclusion will again be the last sentence that leads up to the blank.
If the OG13 is anything to go by, most Logical Conclusion questions will have a since or because at the
end and hence will require you to strengthen the argument.

MGMAT CR 5th edition

Quote:
Several question types can be written using a Complete the Argument structure, though most CA ques­
tions come in the Strengthen or Assumption formats. The CA format will always present an underlined
blank in the argument, and there will not be a question stem following the argument.
Our first task is to figure out what kind of question we really have. The presence of the words “since” or
“because” immediately before the blank indicate a Strengthen / Assumption-type question. On these,
our task will be to find something that supports the argument in some way. Alternatively, if the lan­
guage before the blank says something similar to “it should be expected that,” then we are looking at
an Inference-type CA. Finally, we might be asked to “illustrate” or “provide an example of” something
that was discussed in the argument

find an agreement...................

Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9448 [1], given: 1185

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!

Kudos [?]: 2327 [0], given: 82

Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 14:55
carcass wrote:

But when we have in the stimulus SINCE or BECAUSE is always a strengthen question not a conclusion question. We have inference with that or it should be expected that (most rare)

Hi Carcass,

For sure and it is extremely clear that it is not a conclusion question. Please don't go by just one word, please read the complete explanation, in the last line there was a typo. Read it as "the most logical completion" instead of "most logical conclusion". In the whole detailed explanation I have explained as to why one choice is a reason or not a reason to for the conclusion to be true. Nowhere I have said that we require a conclusion. The conclusion is "many of them are no better off financially" and we have to find a reason why this conclusion is possible.

The given question is a strengthening question and yes almost always the since/ because ask for a strengthener. However, the logical completion can be made into any CR question type (except boldface).

For example

In order to evaluate the editor's plan one must question that........ --> Evaluate

The government's new policy will not achieve its result because/ since.... ---> Weaken/ Strengthen

The government's new policy will achieve its result because/ since.... ---> Strengthen/ Weaken

Based on the Mayor's proposal it must be true that.... ---> Inference

For the newly implemented trade embargo to achieve its goals it must be true that.... ---> Assumption

I hope it clears your doubt,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Kudos [?]: 2327 [0], given: 82

Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 14:57
carcass wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Hi there,

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Aristotle prep CR Guide 3th edition

Quote:
The answer is by looking at the word that leads to the blank. This is the word that comes immediately
before the blank. If the word is since or because (like in the above argument) then you will definitely be
required to strengthen the author’s argument. Also the author’s conclusion will be in the sentence that
leads up to this word.
If the leading word/phrase is that or it should be expected that, then you will be required to make an
inference from the information provided in the stimulus. In these questions remember to avoid
extreme options and go with vaguely worded ones.
If the leading word is assuming that, then obviously you need to point out the assumption in the
argument and the conclusion will again be the last sentence that leads up to the blank.
If the OG13 is anything to go by, most Logical Conclusion questions will have a since or because at the
end and hence will require you to strengthen the argument.

MGMAT CR 5th edition

Quote:
Several question types can be written using a Complete the Argument structure, though most CA ques­
tions come in the Strengthen or Assumption formats. The CA format will always present an underlined
blank in the argument, and there will not be a question stem following the argument.
Our first task is to figure out what kind of question we really have. The presence of the words “since” or
“because” immediately before the blank indicate a Strengthen / Assumption-type question. On these,
our task will be to find something that supports the argument in some way. Alternatively, if the lan­
guage before the blank says something similar to “it should be expected that,” then we are looking at
an Inference-type CA. Finally, we might be asked to “illustrate” or “provide an example of” something
that was discussed in the argument

find an agreement...................

Hi carcass, questions that ask you to most logically complete an argument can be asking you to defend the preceding argument (strengthen) or deconstruct it (weaken) fairly easily. Since strengthen and weaken are very much two sides of the same coin, it's not a huge difference if you want to use strengthen uniformly for this category. The Veritas Prep strategy involves distilling these two categories to keep your mission clear and avoid picking trap 180 answer choices.

As an example, Question 21 from the Veritas Advanced Verbal Strategy asks:

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

When purchasing a new automobile, consumers are generally wary of car salespeople, a group that bears a reputation for dishonesty. To combat this perception, the CEO of Hoffpeck Motors is running an advertising campaign on television and radio in which he personally guarantees that he has certified each of his salespeople as 100% honest. This strategy may fail to achieve its desired results, however, because ______________________

(A) consumers pay less attention to television and radio advertising campaigns than they did before the widespread use of the internet
(B) consumers favor compact cars over full-size SUVs and trucks, and Hoffpeck Motors has failed to align its vehicle offerings with this changing market
(C) consumers are likely to view the CEO of Hoffpeck Motors as dishonest, himself, in light of his presence in a campaign to sell cars
(D) consumers view prominent businesspeople as more trustworthy than salespeople or mechanics
(E) consumers rank affordability and style ahead of showroom experience as the primary factors in their decisions to purchase new cars

If you view this question as a weaken question, the answer should be C. If you see it as a strengthen question, you'll likely pick answer choice D.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA. C

Ron Awad
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Board of Directors
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 15:05
Vercules wrote:
carcass wrote:

Hi Carcass,

For sure and it is extremely clear that it is not a conclusion question. Please don't go by just one word, please read the complete explanation, in the last line there was a typo. Read it as "the most logical completion" instead of "most logical conclusion". In the whole detailed explanation I have explained as to why one choice is a reason or not a reason to for the conclusion to be true. Nowhere I have said that we require a conclusion. The conclusion is "many of them are no better off financially" and we have to find a reason why this conclusion is possible.

The given question is a strengthening question and yes almost always the since/ because ask for a strengthener. However, the logical completion can be made into any CR question type (except boldface).

For example

In order to evaluate the editor's plan one must question that........ --> Evaluate

The government's new policy will not achieve its result because/ since.... ---> Weaken/ Strengthen

The government's new policy will achieve its result because/ since.... ---> Strengthen/ Weaken

Based on the Mayor's proposal it must be true that.... ---> Inference

For the newly implemented trade embargo to achieve its goals it must be true that.... ---> Assumption

I hope it clears your doubt,

Vercules

Hi vercules :)

Me too in primis know to be flexible as much as possible. I pointed out only that, generally speaking, whenever we see the words since or because GENERALLY is strengthen question.

But of course when you are in front of the test you have to be flexuible because i you even 100000 questions, for sure during the test you wil see something that is different from your drills.

;)

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citi   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2013, 15:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 72 posts ] 

Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap