It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9290 [0], given: 1169

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2013, 15:13
Quote:
Hi carcass, questions that ask you to most logically complete an argument can be asking you to defend the preceding argument (strengthen) or deconstruct it (weaken) fairly easily. Since strengthen and weaken are very much two sides of the same coin, it's not a huge difference if you want to use strengthen uniformly for this category. The Veritas Prep strategy involves distilling these two categories to keep your mission clear and avoid picking trap 180 answer choices.

As an example, Question 21 from the Veritas Advanced Verbal Strategy asks:

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

When purchasing a new automobile, consumers are generally wary of car salespeople, a group that bears a reputation for dishonesty. To combat this perception, the CEO of Hoffpeck Motors is running an advertising campaign on television and radio in which he personally guarantees that he has certified each of his salespeople as 100% honest. This strategy may fail to achieve its desired results, however, because ______________________

(A) consumers pay less attention to television and radio advertising campaigns than they did before the widespread use of the internet
(B) consumers favor compact cars over full-size SUVs and trucks, and Hoffpeck Motors has failed to align its vehicle offerings with this changing market
(C) consumers are likely to view the CEO of Hoffpeck Motors as dishonest, himself, in light of his presence in a campaign to sell cars
(D) consumers view prominent businesspeople as more trustworthy than salespeople or mechanics
(E) consumers rank affordability and style ahead of showroom experience as the primary factors in their decisions to purchase new cars

If you view this question as a weaken question, the answer should be C. If you see it as a strengthen question, you'll likely pick answer choice D.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA. C

I Ron :) I agree.

In that sense based on your posted question here we have the word because so we would have a strenghten question BUT this question could be seen also as a weaken question.

Because seeing the overall structure of the stimulus we have to find an answer that confirm (strength) that the overall situation is flaw or weak.

Basically we have to find something like: the owner is a thief, he proposes a fraud and we have to find something that helps us to confirm his weakness. C

:)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9290 [0], given: 1169

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 66

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2013, 08:37
carcass wrote:

I Ron :) I agree.

In that sense based on your posted question here we have the word because so we would have a strenghten question BUT this question could be seen also as a weaken question.

Because seeing the overall structure of the stimulus we have to find an answer that confirm (strength) that the overall situation is flaw or weak.

Basically we have to find something like: the owner is a thief, he proposes a fraud and we have to find something that helps us to confirm his weakness. C

:)

Hi carcass,
I agree with your strategy, strengthen and weaken are approached in the same way, so you can think of it as strengthening the doubt, or weakening the conclusion. This type of example is classified as a weaken question at Veritas to avoid tempting traps. Of course logically the answer should be C, but if you're going fast trying to save time you might think D is correct if you're stuck on the idea that you must strengthen the passage/plan.

As Vercules pointed out, Completes the Passage question can be virtually any type of question, so the important part is to find the answer that properly addresses all the issues brought up in the passage (and this is the GMAT so there's always at least one!) :)

Thanks!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 66

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 12:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17652 [1], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Advanced CR: Concerned about the well-being of its elderly citizens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Concerned about the well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government-provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because __________________.

a) they rely entirely on the government pension for their income
b) Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check
c) they buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation
d) the pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high
e) in Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17652 [1], given: 1986

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 240

Re: Advanced CR: Concerned about the well-being of its elderly citizens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 16:52
We need to find an answer that explains why in-spite of the increase in pension the condition hasn't improve. Perhaps the price of commodities has increased and govt. is just doing a catch-up job with the inflation. But the premise already takes care of that
Quote:
Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible

e) in Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living - Correct Answer.

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 240

Non-Human User

Premium Member
Re: Concerned about the well-being of its elderly citizens, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 17:17

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 00:24

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17652 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Advanced CR: Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 12:55
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?
Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because ________.

A. They rely entirely on the government pension for their income

B. Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check

C. They buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation

D. The pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high

E. In Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17652 [0], given: 1986

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Advanced CR: Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 02:10
since the argument said that Pension is duly received then B cannot be reason.
Inflation is negligible so C cannot be the reason.
D also does not help much.
i feel it is A although i saw somewhere that it is E.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 26

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Sales (Consulting)
Re: Advanced CR: Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is E.

Before pension,

small X (pension)/ no x + bigger y (fund from children) = threshold Comfortable living

After Pension,

Bigger X (pension) + smaller y (fund from children) = threshold Comfortable living

Kudos Please
if you find my question / solution helpful.

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 26

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
Re: Advanced CR: Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 04:08
I don't know why I chose C but later realized that E is the correct answer :roll:

In the pursuit of a better GMAT score. You can help me by giving me kudos if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 21:36
This post received
KUDOS
I chose C. And below is my reasoning. Can someone help explain why C is wrong?

Even though the argument stated that the overall inflation is negligible, this doesn't mean that the inflation is evenly distributed. So if these elderly citizens purchase things that have a high inflation rates, then the 20% increase in their pension may not cover the increased cost of what they purchase.

Thanks,
Frank

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 01:33
unparadise Exactly my thought process.

And tuanquang269 what happens if the children were giving their parents only 10 dollars. In that case parents would still have 110 dollars after pension is increased by 20% and the children stop giving money to their parents. Parents are then better off.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 07:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
eybrj2 wrote:
Concerned about the well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government-provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because ______________.

a) They rely entirely on the government pension for their income.

b) Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check.

c)They buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation.

d) The pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high.

e) In Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

Hi! All,

The argument states that Govt has increased pension amount for elderly people and inflation is negligible, but still elderly people are not better off.

The possible assumption could be:-
1) Their expenses have increased in other areas in which they never used to expense before
2) They are giving the money to support someone in the family
3) Initially, the pension amount was less and they were asking for money from their children. Now, since they receive more money, their children are not providing them money anymore.
a) They rely entirely on the government pension for their income. If they rely entirely on govt then they should be financially sound because the pension has increased.

b) Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check. Getting money three weeks later can also make people financially sound

c)They buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation. There is negligible inflation

d) The pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high. This doesn’t make sense because even if the poverty was all time high the increased pension would have helped raising the economic status as compare to earlier status.

e) In Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living. This is a possibility that old people can live comfortably with revised pension and hence children are not sending them money anymore.

Hope it helps

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 69

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 333

WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 03:07
souvik101990 wrote:
Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because ________.

B. Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check

C. They buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation

D. The pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high

E. In Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

Hello Souvik,

Can you please help me to understand the OA.

The passage doesn't say Runagia children will lower the monetary help after the increase by govt.

Thanks a lot!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Sales (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 10:30
Turkish wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Hello Souvik,

The passage doesn't say Runagia children will lower the monetary help after the increase by govt.

Thanks a lot!

I will make an attempt here.

In Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

Let us suppose comfortable living costs $1500 each month. This means that if government spend on senior citizen increases, then children will reduce their spend by that much amount to take the overall value to $1500 each month.

Hope it helps.

Kudos Please
if you find my question / solution helpful.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: IIMC'17
GMAT Date: 10-22-2014
GPA: 1.9
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 10:51
By the method of elimination, A, B, C & D can be rejected straight away. For E, it explains something about the finance available to elderly even after the rise.(the children supplement upto a limit that is well defined, so is elderly have more money less will be provided by children)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
G

WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 03:57
GmatNirvanaSeeker wrote:
Turkish wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Hello Souvik,

Thanks a lot!

I will make an attempt here.

In Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

Let us suppose comfortable living costs $1500 each month. This means that if government spend on senior citizen increases, then children will reduce their spend by that much amount to take the overall value to $1500 each month.

Hope it helps.

Yeah, I got the OA now, after thinking about it. The Word here is Supplement . Supplement to make the elderly's live a comfortable life. If the children already know that their parents are comfortable, well, they wont supplement ! Make sense. Thanks GmatNirvanaSeeker!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2016, 14:08
Iffy. Answer E very vaguely implies that they children would stop supporting the elders after they received income from another source. And this is knowing after the fact that E is the answer.

Further more "are no better off financially..." is vague. I can be poor and make 50$ a month and the government. 20% increase to 60$ and i'm still poor, the increase of money does not necessarily mean I'm better off financially... If more explicit words were used, such as "income" it would clarify things a bit more.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User

Premium Member
Re: Advanced CR: Concerned about the well-being of its elderly citizens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 18:15

Re: Advanced CR: Concerned about the well-being of its elderly citizens   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2016, 18:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 72 posts ] 

Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap