GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 11:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Concerned Parent: While I love the facilities and community

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Concerned Parent: While I love the facilities and community [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 12:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:51) correct 32% (00:56) wrong based on 326 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Concerned Parent: While I love the facilities and community that you have created at your school, I am troubled by the fact that only 75% of your teachers are certified by the department of education. I just cannot take the risk of a 25% likelihood my daughter will be taught by someone who is unqualified.

Which of the following is an assumption of the parent's argument?

A) Any teacher not certified by the department of education is unqualified.
B) The department of education is the entity best equipped to determine which teachers are qualified.
C) Unqualified teachers are less effective than qualified teachers.
D) The school in question has more uncertified teachers than any other school the parent is considering.
E) None of the teachers who are uncertified are in the process of becoming certified.

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Concerned Parent: While I love the facilities and community [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2018, 01:51
the key to success on cr is ability to critizice the argument. there are many suggestions in which argument can be attacked. causal passage is attack by showing another cause. representative passage is attack by showing the evidence is not typical. scope shift passage is attacked by showing that there is a new idea in conclusion.

the new idea in this is "unqualified". this is the place we can attack. is that unqualified is caused by no cetification.

bingo.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Concerned Parent: While I love the facilities and community [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 00:33

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

In this Assumption question, notice the wording gap between the two sentences. The first sentence says that 75% of teachers are certified (meaning that 25% are not certified), and the second changes "not certified" to "unqualified." Are certified and qualified necessarily the same thing?

If you see this gap, you should be ready for answer choice (A), which links certification to qualification by saying that anyone who is not certified is also not qualified. Note that if you hold (A) up to the Assumption Negation Technique, the opposite of (A) weakens the argument by showing, essentially, that some teachers who are not certified are still qualified. (A) is therefore correct.

Notice that none of the other answer choices deal with this gap, which is the major flaw in the argument. Among the other answer choices: (B) isn't a necessary assumption, as the department of education doesn't need to be the best organization at determining teacher qualification - as long as it can do so capably, then the argument doesn't fall apart. Choice (D) is similar: whether or not the school has the most unqualified teachers doesn't change the reason for the parent's skepticism. Choice (C) adds a wording gap of its own by bringing in a new term "effective" that doesn't exist within the argument. And choice (E) isn't directly applicable, as you do not know how long the certification process takes (is "in the process" something that would help the parent's daughter anytime soon?) or whether just one teacher is in the process (how much would that change the percentages that the parent is concerned about?).

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 05:27
+1 for option A.

This question involves clever interplay of words. Pl note how the premise talks of certified while conclusion talks about conclusion !!

Option E can be discarded because we don't know of the time frame for certification.

" The few , the fearless "

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 00:56
can some one pls explain why C is wrong
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 21:41
Rollroll wrote:
can some one pls explain why C is wrong

Let me try.

So the conclusion the parent is making is that there is a 25% chance that their daughter will be taught by someone unqualified. Recall, how a couple sentences ago there was mention of uncertified, not unqualified. So the parent is clearly assuming that being "uncertified" is "unqualified". The question asks what is the parent assuming in making this conclusion?

Option C seems like a good contender but it goes off in a tangent about "effectiveness". Notice again that the parent did not conclude anything about "effectiveness" of the teachers. This is why option C is incorrect. Does that help?
Re: Concerned Parent: While I love the facilities and community   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2018, 21:41

Concerned Parent: While I love the facilities and community

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap